Castle Cake Apologist

So you sit on a tron bike attached to an arm that puts you in front of a imax screen where you watch a set of eight Banshees flying in a CG world with no control over them. It's basically just Soarin' while sitting in an uncomfortable position. I think I would have liked the Super Hang On bikes better.

Super_Hang-On_Cabinet_Mini_Ride_On_01.jpg

Are you serious with that? You clearly have absolutely no understanding of what this ride is or what the ride system is capable of. Nor do you apparently understand the conceit of the ride, which is directly based on the conceit of the film that it is inspired by. The source material literally rules out the possibility of humans riding on the back of a banshee.

I would think the fact that the ride has a 44" height requirement and is being described as pretty intense would be enough to let a logical person know that this ride is not "Soarin' while sitting in an uncomfortable position."

By all means, though, please don't ride it. Less people to deal with for me.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

Agreed. They way they've been talking about Star Wars Land, they really have to knock it out of the park. If all they say it true about it, then I think it could.

Essentially, Alcatraz has to be the equal of Mystic Manor or Shanghai Pirates and the shopping and dining has to be equivalent to Diagon. If it doesn't hit that bar, WDW deserves to take a lot of criticism.

Castle Cake Apologist

So reading through all these reports, if I understand correctly....I'm a tourist at a tourist trap but on another planet? Kind of like those Gator parks in Florida, but better cause it's in space. But unlike the gator parks, the only gators I can see are in a 3D simulator and maybe one singing at the end of a 4 minute boat ride?

And when I leave all this, I can get a green beer and call it a day? Transformative!

I guess. If you think national parks are "tourist traps."

Casper Gutman

Are you serious with that? You clearly have absolutely no understanding of what this ride is or what the ride system is capable of. Nor do you apparently understand the conceit of the ride, which is directly based on the conceit of the film that it is based on. The source material literally rules out the possibility of humans riding on the back of a banshee.

To be fair, the entire premise of the film is that avatars are so absurdly expensive they have to fly an untrained guy across the galaxy to pilot his brother's Na'Vi - and yet in FoP, they are apparently 10 bucks for a six pack. The point being, Disney and Cameron can make the story do whatever they want (or ignore it altogether) to accommodate the ride they want to build.

That said, I think phruby is exaggerating a bit.

Castle Cake Apologist

To be fair, the entire premise of the film is that avatars are so absurdly expensive they have to fly an untrained guy across the galaxy to pilot his brother's Na'Vi - and yet in FoP, they are apparently 10 bucks for a six pack. The point being, Disney and Cameron can make the story do whatever they want (or ignore it altogether) to accommodate the ride they want to build.

That said, I think phruby is exaggerating a bit.

The theme park experience takes place several decades after the events in the films. Is air travel on Earth still the same price as it was 50 years ago?

The Na'vi are very tall and Banshees are very big. So, unless part of the story is somehow making us much taller and stronger, then no, it would not have made sense for us to be physically riding on one. Not to mention how stupid it would have looked. As previously pointed out, it would have to have been just a fiberglass shell that was shaped and painted to look like a banshee. It would have been ripped to pieces on here.

Last edited:

Casper Gutman

The theme park experience takes place several decades after the events in the films. Is air travel on Earth still the same price as it was 50 years ago?

The na'vi are very tall and Banshees are very big. So, unless park of the story is somehow making us much taller and stronger, then no, it would
Not have made sense for us to be physically riding on one. Not to mention how stupid it would have looked. As previously pointed out, it would have to have been just a fiberglass shell that was shaped and painted to look like a banshee. It would have been ripped to pieces on here.

Yes, they made the story accommodate the ride they wanted to build. That's my point. As long as you maintain the broad spirit of the IP, the story fits the ride, not vice versa.

And I never expected guests to be riding actual banshees. Aesthetically and functionally, it's unlikely it would have worked. But the story wasn't the barrier.

Castle Cake Apologist

Yes, they made the story accommodate the ride they wanted to build. That's my point. As long as you maintain the broad spirit of the IP, the story fits the ride, not vice versa.

And I never expected guests to be riding actual banshees. Aesthetically and functionally, it's unlikely it would have worked. But the story wasn't the barrier.

Perhaps not, but the limitations also fit within the confines of the original source material. Cameron is famously controlling and obsessive over his projects and the worlds that he creates. I'm sure he voted down riding on an actual Banshee pretty quickly.

EDIT: Actually, I'm not sure that I understand your point. In the film, humans must link with an Avatar to ride a banshee. In the attraction, humans must link with an avatar to ride a banshee. How exactly did they "make the story accommodate the ride they wanted to build." Other than the fact that avatars would be considerably cheaper several decades in the future (which would not be a logical leap at all. In fact it would have made less sense if they were still so prohibitively expensive all these years later), nothing in the attractions strays too far from the source material.

Last edited:

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Has anyone ridden this ride yet or is this just a lot of guessing going on?
Also, are there any reviews?

It just seems like there is too much guessing and baseless negativity.
I'm sure this ride will be fun and a different experience than Soarin.

This experience is being described as intense by Disney and is reflected by a height requirement.
If this was simply sitting on a stationary bike that rocks back and forth the height requirement would be much less not to mention would not be described as an intense experience.

At least these are my thoughts.
We will need to wait until the pass holders previews begin on May 13 for a lot of views and opinions. As of right now, it has just been a few invited guests and cast members.

Incomudro

The entire conceit of the movie is that humans are interacting with Pandora by use of link through Avatars.

Maybe it sounds less fun on paper than just hopping on the back of a flying beast, but the idea in the movie and on the ride is that once you link the experience of operating the Avatar feels no different than it would if you were living it yourself.

Haven't been on the ride, so I can't say how well that plays or how good it is, but building a ride where you hop directly on the back of a Banshee ride vehicle would skip the entire premise of the movie (for better or worse).

Yes, and how would you explain that the guest is climbing directly on the back of a Banshee anyway?
According to the movie, a human wouldn't be able to walk up to one and climb onto back of it.
They live up on the cliffs, and would likely kill and/or eat you if you got near it.

Jeremy P

"wdwmagic: We will need to wait until the pass holders previews begin on May 13 for a lot of views and opinions. As of right now, it has just been a few invited guests and cast members.

LOL of course, if you're reading these posts, you would think everyone had ridden it and the ride system is a broom stick with James Cameron moving it up and down in front of a 55 inch television screen.

Casper Gutman

Yes, and how would you explain that the guest is climbing directly on the back of a Banshee anyway?
According to the movie, a human wouldn't be able to walk up to one and climb onto back of it.
They live up on the cliffs, and would likely kill and/or eat you if you got near it.

Please note: I, personally, don't think it matters whether guests ride an actual banshee or not. My point is simply that, had Disney and Cameron wanted to have them do so, the story would not have been a barrier, since they fully control the story.

We KNOW that Cameron didn't think the idea of guests riding banshees was insane enough to reject out of hand because they built a Banshee humans could ride! We've seen it. (Again, to clarify, I don't think it's a bad thing they rejected that prototype.)

Something completely unrelated story issue that just occurred to me (and this is a really goofy nitpick-y question, not a meaningful criticism of the land) - if the Baja Tickler purifies air for humans to breathe, does it then become poisonous for Na'Vi? And if so, how are we hanging out so close to the Shaman in the RJ?

alias8703

Please note: I, personally, don't think it matters whether guests ride an actual banshee or not. My point is simply that, had Disney and Cameron wanted to have them do so, the story would not have been a barrier, since they fully control the story.

We KNOW that Cameron didn't think the idea of guests riding banshees was insane enough to reject out of hand because they built a Banshee humans could ride! We've seen it. (Again, to clarify, I don't think it's a bad thing they rejected that prototype.)

Something completely unrelated story issue that just occurred to me (and this is a really goofy nitpick-y question, not a meaningful criticism of the land) - if the Baja Tickler purifies air for humans to breathe, does it then become poisonous for Na'Vi? And if so, how are we hanging out so close to the Shaman in the RJ?

there is no story issue... You are in Orlando, at Disney world. You are breathing regular H2O as usual. You are not actually on another planet. These questions and issues some of you have seem to only exist for you to complain about completely irrelevant things.
This land looks incredible. The detail is incredible. The experiences look to be incredible.
Why isn't that enough for you?
Does it really ruin your day that you are breathing oxygen even though it doesn't "make sense to the story"?
Some of these comments and complaints are so stupid and annoying my eyes physically hurt from rolling them so often reading some of the trolls on here.

Incomudro

I agree, it's very likely Cameron and company tossed around the idea of people boarding something that looked like an actual Banshee.
I'm certain lots of concepts are drawn up and tossed around in the creative stages.
I would love to be a fly on the wall during this process.

Casper Gutman

there is no story issue... You are in Orlando, at Disney world. You are breathing regular H2O as usual. You are not actually on another planet. These questions and issues you have seem to only exist for you to complain about completely irrelevant things.
This land looks incredible. The detail is incredible. The experiences look to be incredible.
Why isn't that enough for you?
Does it really ruin your day that you are breathing oxygen even though it doesn't "make sense to the story"?
Some of these comments and complaints are so stupid and annoying my eyes physically hurt from rolling them so often reading some of the trolls on here.

You and Agalloch should get together. I think the two of you would really hit it off.

Phroobar

Are you serious with that? You clearly have absolutely no understanding of what this ride is or what the ride system is capable of. Nor do you apparently understand the conceit of the ride, which is directly based on the conceit of the film that it is inspired by. The source material literally rules out the possibility of humans riding on the back of a banshee.

I would think the fact that the ride has a 44" height requirement and is being described as pretty intense would be enough to let a logical person know that this ride is not "Soarin' while sitting in an uncomfortable position."

By all means, though, please don't ride it. Less people to deal with for me.
I don't think you understand it either. It sure doesn't look like this:

BANSHEE-1200x637_zpsldnfbwha.png

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom