Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
for those children unfamiliar with the movie... Disney will have to make them familiar... meet and greets will almost be certain in Pandora based land, along with a parade...what will be interesting is to see if they will mix disney characters and the Na'vi... example... have goofy dressed up as an avatar... because if not... im afraid it will diverse a little to far away from Disney and become unfamiliar and uncomfortable for children and Disney fans.. but I am an avatar fan and am very excited about the idea

Avatar will marketed to kids well in advance of the opening of Pandoraland. I expect an animated series on the Disney channel for starters.

FigmentJedi

Avatar will marketed to kids well in advance of the opening of Pandoraland. I expect an animated series on the Disney channel for starters.

Don't think they can do that considering Disney Channel doesn't do action cartoons and then there's this guy.
avatar-the-last-airbender-20090112015913800_640w.jpg

And his successor
OB-MW926_korra2_G_20110305235453.jpg

Magenta Panther

Don't think they can do that considering Disney Channel doesn't do action cartoons and then there's this guy.
avatar-the-last-airbender-20090112015913800_640w.jpg

And his successor
OB-MW926_korra2_G_20110305235453.jpg

And that guy was better than ANYTHING in the similarly-titled "Avatar" film. (I'm talking about the Last Airbender animated series on Nickelodeon, not that sorry excuse of a live-action version. Mr. Night totally effed that up.) What a great show. I can't wait to see the Legend of Korra. I have no doubt that It. Will. Rock. :)

jt04

Are they moving the Festival of the Lion King? To Africa...?

It seems that is what everyone would like to see happen as it is the only reason CMM stays open and has not been repurposed.

Somebody said they were hoping the show would be redone if it is moved but I am not sure that is the best option. The show is still appreciated, it is the theater that needs to be updated if they move the show. Better seating and a more immersive setting would make this one of those iconic Disney attractions that becomes a permanent feature. I could see them upgrading the set pieces and costumes etc, but the show still works as is imo.

Rob562

It seems that is what everyone would like to see happen as it is the only reason CMM stays open and has not been repurposed.

Somebody said they were hoping the show would be redone if it is moved but I am not sure that is the best option. The show is still appreciated, it is the theater that needs to be updated if they move the show. Better seating and a more immersive setting would make this one of those iconic Disney attractions that becomes a permanent feature. I could see them upgrading the set pieces and costumes etc, but the show still works as is imo.

I think their best bet would be to recreate the show as it is, but to incorporate some of the staging they developed for the Hong Kong version of the show.

Specifically the revolving stage with hydraulic lifts and trap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDogtd6eHPk

I particularly like the entrance and exit of the flying bird during Can You Feel the Love, though I'm not sure I like the loss of the pas de deux of the two birds leading up to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVMw_BrnhY
(flying section starts at 2:10)

Even the entrance of their floats is a bit more interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNrc5i80nGE

But what I *don't* want to see is a move to the Hong Kong version's retelling of the entire story. It's like they took the FotLK costumes and staging, and mixed it with the Legend of the Lion King puppet show's retelling of the story.

-Rob

jt04

I think their best bet would be to recreate the show as it is, but to incorporate some of the staging they developed for the Hong Kong version of the show.

Specifically the revolving stage with hydraulic lifts and trap:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uDogtd6eHPk

I particularly like the entrance and exit of the flying bird during Can You Feel the Love, though I'm not sure I like the loss of the pas de deux of the two birds leading up to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7yVMw_BrnhY
(flying section starts at 2:10)

Even the entrance of their floats is a bit more interesting:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNrc5i80nGE

But what I *don't* want to see is a move to the Hong Kong version's retelling of the entire story. It's like they took the FotLK costumes and staging, and mixed it with the Legend of the Lion King puppet show's retelling of the story.

-Rob

^ Dittos. This is 100% correct I think.

WDW1974

Any specifics yet? Anything? ... How about a pic of a fanboi wearing an oversized (naturally!) blue tee?

~GFCers stand for GREEN development, NOT BLUE~

stitch2008

Im not sure if this has been mentioned yet. But there are rumors out there of at least one of the Avatar sequels involving water and Pandoras oceans. So while its likely we'll see some kinda of Banshee ride, I wouldnt be suprised if we something involving the oceans of Pandora.

skellington22

they wont make an Avatar Cartoon series for several reasons

1. They must wait until all three of Cameron's movies are out and done before he can sell the content of Avatar to another film/tv development company. its in his contract

2. Avatar is PG-13 ... all shows on Disney channel are PG and lower, anything else must be converted to PG, in which case creating a under developed and inaccurate version of Avatar, something Cameron would not approve of...

It will be interesting to see how the incorporate the Avatar characters into Disney...
I still think there will be Blue mickeys and Blue goofys on T shirts in Pandora Land ... And a show is a must if they are looking to aim their new park towards youngsters, otherwise it will be a very teen-adult themed park who know and have seen the movie.... Then there becomes the essence 20 years down the road.... for new comers and children who have grown they will have to have seen the movies to be fully immersed into the parks...

invader

they wont make an Avatar Cartoon series for several reasons

1. They must wait until all three of Cameron's movies are out and done before he can sell the content of Avatar to another film/tv development company. its in his contract

2. Avatar is PG-13 ... all shows on Disney channel are PG and lower, anything else must be converted to PG, in which case creating a under developed and inaccurate version of Avatar, something Cameron would not approve of...

It will be interesting to see how the incorporate the Avatar characters into Disney...
I still think there will be Blue mickeys and Blue goofys on T shirts in Pandora Land ... And a show is a must if they are looking to aim their new park towards youngsters, otherwise it will be a very teen-adult themed park who know and have seen the movie.... Then there becomes the essence 20 years down the road.... for new comers and children who have grown they will have to have seen the movies to be fully immersed into the parks...

They did almost the same with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command..

skellington22

They did almost the same with Buzz Lightyear of Star Command..

did what? make a show???

its different because the content was already owned by Disney so they could do what they wanted in terms of recreating a show or spin off... and after the first toy story there wasnt two movies already signed on like there is with avatar.... Cameron and Fox films share the content of avatar and Cameron is locked in with them.. if there was ANY hope of a cartoon itd be airing on FOX saturday mornings ... not Disney channel... until at least the third movie is released

Atomicmickey

I've been thinking about Avatar in DAK, and even though I'm enthusiastic
about this expansion, there are a few creative challenges that I'm wondering how they
will solve. I thought I'd toss 'em out here for speculation and rumination, armchair
imagineering, wishing, whatever.

Everyone's been talking about what attractions will be built, will there be a show, etc.
but I'd like to discuss some "big picture" story questions for the land.

Note: It seems like news and rumors is the place where people are discussing this,
but if this needs moving, no harm, no foul.

So . . . what do you think about:

1) The fact that Pandora is another planet, and does not have a breatheable atmosphere?

Getting into and out of the land could be a simulator/space travel experience, but I
seriously doubt that due to capacity and flow issues. They'll need a "bridge to Pandora"
as wide and accessible as those to Asia and Africa.

So, will we be "going to Pandora" or will there be a story about "bringing Pandoran flora and
fauna to Earth"? The experience of going to Pandora--entering and exiting the land--will probably
have to be some sort of cool reveal-type experience, where you go around something, under something,
to suddenly be enveloped in the new land. Oooh, a floating mountain!

So--let's say you're on Pandora. How the heck are you breathing?
Idea--on light poles along the path, just build some techy designed whirring prop gizmos, which
are "localized oxygen generators". The story can be that they've figured out how to create bubbles
of breatheable air along the pathways.

I could see this confusing and scaring people, though.

Perhaps we're all going to lay down in Avatar capsules and plug into an Avatar?! I'm laughing at that.

So, thoughts on how to implement the story of "going to a different planet"?

2) The Na'Vi. OK. They are fifteen feet tall, have really big eyes, and are mostly naked. Do you think we'll see
cast members painted blue, (and mostly naked?!?) or will they appear only in computer screens
and as animatronics?

CM's in the land would need to be humans--and I'm thinking they are science explorers, like Grace and
her researchers in the movie--studying the planet, not militaristic at all.

And so--buildings in the middle would be something of a "science outpost" on the planet.

But how the heck to deal with the Na'Vi? Perhaps they are "elusive", but that seems like a cop out.

3) The glowing plants. Very cool stuff in the movie where they light up when touched. I can see
LED lighting, all that coolness--but wow, people touching these plants are going to be a maintenance
nightmare.

That's all for now, looking forward to people speculating on this until we see some official concept
stuff from Disney. I suspect that even THEY don't know the answers to this stuff, yet!

jt04

about this expansion, there are a few creative challenges that I'm wondering how they
will solve. I thought I'd toss 'em out here for speculation and rumination, armchair

Everyone's been talking about what attractions will be built, will there be a show, etc.

Note: It seems like news and rumors is the place where people are discussing this,

1) The fact that Pandora is another planet, and does not have a breatheable atmosphere?

Getting into and out of the land could be a simulator/space travel experience, but I
seriously doubt that due to capacity and flow issues. They'll need a "bridge to Pandora"

So, will we be "going to Pandora" or will there be a story about "bringing Pandoran flora and
fauna to Earth"? The experience of going to Pandora--entering and exiting the land--will probably
have to be some sort of cool reveal-type experience, where you go around something, under something,

Idea--on light poles along the path, just build some techy designed whirring prop gizmos, which
are "localized oxygen generators". The story can be that they've figured out how to create bubbles

Perhaps we're all going to lay down in Avatar capsules and plug into an Avatar?! I'm laughing at that.

2) The Na'Vi. OK. They are fifteen feet tall, have really big eyes, and are mostly naked. Do you think we'll see
cast members painted blue, (and mostly naked?!?) or will they appear only in computer screens
and as animatronics?

CM's in the land would need to be humans--and I'm thinking they are science explorers, like Grace and

And so--buildings in the middle would be something of a "science outpost" on the planet.

But how the heck to deal with the Na'Vi? Perhaps they are "elusive", but that seems like a cop out.

3) The glowing plants. Very cool stuff in the movie where they light up when touched. I can see
LED lighting, all that coolness--but wow, people touching these plants are going to be a maintenance
nightmare.

That's all for now, looking forward to people speculating on this until we see some official concept
stuff from Disney. I suspect that even THEY don't know the answers to this stuff, yet!

I will tackle the illimunated plants. I do not see how they could realize Kevin Yee's vision of a forest that can be explored and interacted with. And for the reason you stated that too many people will decide they want a "souviner" of their visit. Perhaps they will write in the storyline that the natural elements of Pandora are in exhibit cases and you are still on earth. So the walk through could be treated as the other 'trails' found at DAK. This would allow for protecting the show elements while adding plenty of extra special effects and state of the art animatronics. Or the trail could be encased as a tunnel and you view the natural world of pandora from a protected enclosure solving the issue of the atmoshere. (Think shark encounter at sea world)

As for the glowing leaves. I would try piping blacklight into the physical leaves to possibly cause them to 'glow' from the inside by using flourescing plastics as opposed to shining blacklight on them externally. The last thing they need is the fiber optics and other lighting looking too dated technologically.

Just my 2 cents.

Neo222

and as animatronics?

nightmare.

1:Interesting concepts you have there. The first with the breathable air would cause problems, which leads us to thinking of how to make it possible to breath air while explaining how. The oxygen generator seems interesting, in my opinion, much like how they explained how you'd breath in space on Space Mountain. As for how to get there, well, we can plan that.

2: I more can imagine the Na'vi being animatronics on the rides itself, which would allow people to 'explore' Pandora further, much like how the other lands are in Animal Kingdom. The main area is the base camp, yet you can explore the rest of the land/world through the rides and trails.

3:It will be difficult to prevent people from touching things. My opinion is maybe having some barriers to prevent such, since these plants are going to be on the side of paths and what not.

I am up for discussing more possible ideas. :D

Atomicmickey

I'm now thinking of a walking path like Pangani or Maharaja, only with Animatronic animals. That could work. They'd better be darned good Animatronics, though. They'll need to naturally hide behind hills and trees, and lay there and not move all day like the real animals do.

Neo222

A walking path with animatronics would work, though I would be curious how they'd make it believable and all. Another thing I thought up for some possible entertainment is something similar to Lucky the Dinosaur, except with some creature from Pandora instead and the cast member talking about it and such, or something similar.

RSoxNo1

Considering we have an "Invisible Oxygen Dome" on Space Mountain, I assume they'll come up with something in the backstory to explain how we can breath on Pandora. For 99% of guests this won't matter so I wouldn't expect much of an effort placed on something like this - just enough that if a cast member is asked about it they can explain it with something other than a shoulder shrug.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
A walking path with animatronics would work, though I would be curious how they'd make it believable and all. Another thing I thought up for some possible entertainment is something similar to Lucky the Dinosaur, except with some creature from Pandora instead and the cast member talking about it and such, or something similar.
Enclose the humans in an air tight corridor. Instead of the natural boundaries that they currently use go with a straight up steel and glass enclosure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom