AVATAR land construction progress

WDWtraveler

Photo update as of Wednesday, October 26. The berm between the Disney bus terminal at Animal Kingdom and Avatar land is already taller than it was before the vegetation removal, and today earth moving equipment was adding to the height of the berm.

IMG_8524.JPG

Last edited:

EPCOTCenterLover

I remember a talk or something at D23 where someone asked them about Harry Potter before Diagon Alley and they pretty much brushed it off like it's nothing. It was something like, "bring it on" or, "no one can touch us."
Just curious everyone. How would you respond if you were Disney to the questions and comments about WWOHP? I would think they really didn't have much choice than what was said.

Nickels5

I remember a talk or something at D23 where someone asked them about Harry Potter before Diagon Alley and they pretty much brushed it off like it's nothing. It was something like, "bring it on" or, "no one can touch us."
I wouldn't really call that taking a shot. I mean if that's what you call taking a shot yikes.

Next Big Thing

Bill and Ted have been making fun of the Pandora project for years now... which unfortunately says a little too much about the timeframe of the project. But, this is not really a new bit for this year.

I'd read nothing 'new' into it other than the jokes written in 2013 are still applicable 3 years later.
It actually started in 2012, I remember bc I worked the even that year and would always try to run and see the last show after getting off work lol.

But the same guy played the role for something like 5 years... the role has been around long enough now that it has been passed off and even if it's open by the time HHN begins next year like we think, it'll definitely be back for one last time.

Matt_Black

It was more the arrogance of it. "No one can touch us," um, they have. Uni still takes the crown though :hilarious:
View attachment 171740
View attachment 171739
They both take shots though Disney is admittedly much more reserved.

The people in the #2 spot ALWAYS need to go after #1. When you're the top dog, you do not mention the competition. You can find examples of this all over. For example, McDonald's and Burger King back in the day. BK's commercials- "The Whopper is better than the Big Mac." McDonald's- "Big Macs are DELICIOUS."

Cesar R M

It was more the arrogance of it. "No one can touch us," um, they have. Uni still takes the crown though :hilarious:
View attachment 171740
View attachment 171739
They both take shots though Disney is admittedly much more reserved.
daaaaaamn!!!
thatspreetybrutal.png

The people in the #2 spot ALWAYS need to go after #1. When you're the top dog, you do not mention the competition. You can find examples of this all over. For example, McDonald's and Burger King back in the day. BK's commercials- "The Whopper is better than the Big Mac." McDonald's- "Big Macs are DELICIOUS."
Actually, I still remember Mcdonalds defensive ads after Wendy's commercials about tiny meats by old ladies.
or how Pepsi got murdered by Coke in last halloween ad.

Musicman20

To be fair on Universal, and I'm a huge Disney parks fan, the new Kong animatronic is breath-taking. It's another screen ride, but it works very well. Feels short compared to how they noted it was going to be a long-ish ride though.

WWOHP is still a benchmark for detail. Forbidden Journey is just unreal. I've been on it about 10 times and I still get a thrill from it and see new things. The dragon still makes me jump and I know when it's coming!

However, Avatar, Star Wars and Toy Story will no doubt hit the ball right out of the park. I'm hoping Star Wars is Disney's answer to WWOHP. Only problem is the wait!

brb1006

To be fair on Universal, and I'm a huge Disney parks fan, the new Kong animatronic is breath-taking. It's another screen ride, but it works very well. Feels short compared to how they noted it was going to be a long-ish ride though.

WWOHP is still a benchmark for detail. Forbidden Journey is just unreal. I've been on it about 10 times and I still get a thrill from it and see new things. The dragon still makes me jump and I know when it's coming!

However, Avatar, Star Wars and Toy Story will no doubt hit the ball right out of the park. I'm hoping Star Wars is Disney's answer to WWOHP. Only problem is the wait!
I'm not sure about Toy Story Land but I agree with Avatar and Star Wars land.

Matt_Black

Actually, I still remember Mcdonalds defensive ads after Wendy's commercials about tiny meats by old ladies.
or how Pepsi got murdered by Coke in last halloween ad.

I'm not saying that never happens, but those generally aren't hugely successful ad campaigns. Let's look at another successful example.

In the Monday Night Wrestling Wars, WWF and WCW would bash each other on air constantly, as they were neck and neck. Now, once we get to about 1999, WWF stopped mentioning WCW, because they didn't need to anymore. They had pretty much won at that point. WCW would not be mentioned on air again until Vince McMahon had utterly destroyed the company and bought them up for a fraction of a fraction of what they were once worth.

Similarly, while TNA has bashed WWE many times, I don't think WWE has ever acknowledged the existence of their competitor, who is about to file for bankruptcy.

Mr_Incredible

I'm not saying that never happens, but those generally aren't hugely successful ad campaigns. Let's look at another successful example.

In the Monday Night Wrestling Wars, WWF and WCW would bash each other on air constantly, as they were neck and neck. Now, once we get to about 1999, WWF stopped mentioning WCW, because they didn't need to anymore. They had pretty much won at that point. WCW would not be mentioned on air again until Vince McMahon had utterly destroyed the company and bought them up for a fraction of a fraction of what they were once worth.

Similarly, while TNA has bashed WWE many times, I don't think WWE has ever acknowledged the existence of their competitor, who is about to file for bankruptcy.

Huge wrestling fan, so I get this. However, don't we want UNI to be mid 90s WCW? That's when wrestling was at its greatest, when WWF had to bring a ppv quality RAW every Monday. Now, they're the only game in town, and WWE has crap quality, and every once in a while amazing product.

I honestly like using Wrestling and this example when thinking of uni/Disney....except in reverse.

Disney has always been 1999 WWF. Now, Uni is bringing the heat and Disney needs to bring it to Attitude era levels of quality to compete.

Its good for all of us.

Matt_Black

Huge wrestling fan, so I get this. However, don't we want UNI to be mid 90s WCW? That's when wrestling was at its greatest, when WWF had to bring a ppv quality RAW every Monday. Now, they're the only game in town, and WWE has crap quality, and every once in a while amazing product.

I honestly like using Wrestling and this example when thinking of uni/Disney....except in reverse.

Disney has always been 1999 WWF. Now, Uni is bringing the heat and Disney needs to bring it to Attitude era levels of quality to compete.

Its good for all of us.

... Mid-90s WCW gave us the Dungeon of Doom, remember....

Cesar R M

Agree. plus it would be free advertisement power for the smaller companies if they were mentioned by the big company.

monothingie

❤️Bob4Eva❤️
Premium Member

And of course the problem of Disney bean counters axing the production budgets at the last minute. Not that that has ever been done before at WDW...

LieutLaww

Hello There
Premium Member
In the Parks
No
I bet you its not the bean counters axing budgets, its some management bod who needs a reason to keep their job, saving the company money is the easiest way to do it " well if we just cut this and this from here then we can save this much" give that man a raise !

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom