AVATAR land construction progress

twebber55

DAKAerial-3.jpg

the floating mtn in question is just above the the TP &T so you wont ever be close to this area and will only see it from a distance

OvertheHorizon

the floating mtn in question is just above the the TP &T so you wont ever be close to this area and will only see it from a distance
This picture also answers a question that has been asked before from earlier pictures, when the corner of the show building was still visible. You can now see that rock has been added to the top of the show building. That should add an additional dimension to the view of the rock work.

Incomudro

Maybe I've just seen the actual support structure for too long, and it'll probably look much better when the whole mountain is done, but is anyone else not convinced at all by the "vine" right now?

I've got to admit, that I'm getting that feeling as well.
But, like you said - perhaps I'm too aware of the support structures, and perhaps there's some more cammo to come.

Prototype82

Maybe I've just seen the actual support structure for too long, and it'll probably look much better when the whole mountain is done, but is anyone else not convinced at all by the "vine" right now?
This appears to be one of the smaller mountains way in the distance. By the time you're close to it, my guess is the angle of the show building will cover the support.

No Name

View attachment 135083
Like the Splash Mountain show building, without helicopter, drone or satellite perspective, most won't be aware. However, the view from the bus turnaround is what I'm waiting to see change. I expect it'll be Cadillac Range like, as in DCA.

Yeah, I'm very concerned about that too. If you could only see the back of the show building, it wouldn't be terrible because most people wouldn't really know what they were looking at. But if you're able see the mountains behind the building, it'll ruin the illusion. I don't care that you are outside of the park. It will tarnish the illusion and the way you see the land once you're inside of the park.

But I have no confidence anything will be done about it. Look at Everest. It looks great. Very realistic and well themed for a theme park area. But then look at it from the top of the Blizzard Beach mountain. You get to see "the backside of Everest" and, well, it is something that should not be seen. Again, I don't care that you are outside of AK, because you'll never look at it the same once you're inside of the park.

image.jpeg

This is, in my opinion, the worst view at WDW. You don't have to make much of an effort to see it either. I've seen this from two different spots, but I forget where the second one was.

I get that every ride has a budget. But Joe Rohde and the imagineering team chose to use that budget on the actual ride rather than disguising the back of the mountain. Well it looks like they did try to cheaply disguise it as buildings or something like that? It looks horrendous and totally fake though.

Joe Rohde is a great imagineer, but this shows the order of importance he places things in. He chose in-park quality over out-of-park view. So unless his thinking has changed, what is there to make me believe that Avatar Land, headed by the same guy, will be different?

Ripken10

Yeah, I'm very concerned about that too. If you could only see the back of the show building, it wouldn't be terrible because most people wouldn't really know what they were looking at. But if you're able see the mountains behind the building, it'll ruin the illusion. I don't care that you are outside of the park. It will tarnish the illusion and the way you see the land once you're inside of the park.

But I have no confidence anything will be done about it. Look at Everest. It looks great. Very realistic and well themed for a theme park area. But then look at it from the top of the Blizzard Beach mountain. You get to see "the backside of Everest" and, well, it is something that should not be seen. Again, I don't care that you are outside of AK, because you'll never look at it the same once you're inside of the park.

View attachment 135235
This is, in my opinion, the worst view at WDW. You don't have to make much of an effort to see it either. I've seen this from two different spots, but I forget where the second one was.

I get that every ride has a budget. But Joe Rohde and the imagineering team chose to use that budget on the actual ride rather than disguising the back of the mountain. Well it looks like they did try to cheaply disguise it as buildings or something like that? It looks horrendous and totally fake though.

Joe Rohde is a great imagineer, but this shows the order of importance he places things in. He chose in-park quality over out-of-park view. So unless his thinking has changed, what is there to make me believe that Avatar Land, headed by the same guy, will be different?
Wow that's what you call excessively over critical. Seeing that doesn't ruin it for 90 % of people and most people don't even see that. I am certainly glad they spent the money on other things than making the few people that wound up upset over that view of Everest. Really wow!

dstrawn9889

View attachment 135235

how does than look not real?
2-ancestral-puebloan-dwellings.jpg

Skibum1970

View attachment 135235

I'm not trying to be a jerk here (although probably succeeding more than I mean to) but how does being able to see the show building from Blizzard Beach ruin Everest? Have you seen the back side of Carsland? I have and it was obviously a screen covering metal and concrete. However, I didn't care once I was actually inside and riding RSR. You're not in the park and the immersiveness doesn't or shouldn't matter at that point. Does anyone over the age of 13 years old actually think that there aren't show buildings involved? I guess that I'm just not following how seeing the building from outside of the park ruins the magic? I would most certainly hope that they put emphasis on the beauty of the park as seen from those inside the park. Maybe I missed your point.

Hula Popper

But if you're able see the mountains behind the building, it'll ruin the illusion. I don't care that you are outside of the park. It will tarnish the illusion and the way you see the land once you're inside of the park.

. . . Look at Everest. It looks great. Very realistic and well themed for a theme park area. But then look at it from the top of the Blizzard Beach mountain. You get to see "the backside of Everest" and, well, it is something that should not be seen. Again, I don't care that you are outside of AK, because you'll never look at it the same once you're inside of the park.

View attachment 135235

Speak for yourself. I've seen that view, but it's never affected how I look at Everest when in the park. I've seen all the aerial views of all the parks where you can see all the show buildings. Doesn't change how everything looks and feels when I'm in the parks. Sounds more like a personal problem - it shouldn't be that hard to let it go.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom