AVATAR land construction progress

HouseHacker97

i wonder how disney might prevent rain water from sliding down the floating mountains and absolutely soaking people underneath. I know there was some engineering technique that worked for spaceship earth, but i dont think the same way would be possible for a floating mountain. Perhaps disney won't do anything either, but that would be a good idea to try to mitigate the problem

EDIT: From DisneyFanatic.com:

"Spaceship Earth is actually comprised of 2 spheres. The first one contains the actual ride; the second one is a sort of “shell”, located 2 feet outside the first sphere. The 2-sphere design allows rain water to be gathered in a type of gutter system, rather than streaming down the sides on to people below. The water is actually absorbed through the first sphere through small openings in the surface, and the water is then channeled into the World Showcase lagoon through the gutter system"

JoFu

Thanks for answering what was on the side of the road. That a lot of pieces. Too bad they don't do a video walk through to show us how things look.
If I recall correctly they did all sorts of video walk throughs and other clips as the new Fantasyland stuff neared completion, I would guess the parks blog will happily reveal/sneak preview as much as they can get away with.

brihow

And then there's this:
View attachment 134412
The arches and what I think is the start of one more floating mountain (grey/yellow thing). In the lower righthand corner, there is one more yellow piece (vine/root) waiting to be put in place.
This is the one I think it may be (thanks to Dateline Disneyland):
View attachment 134414
OBE

I totally forgot about those teeny tiny floating mountains above the ride buildings. Im curious how they will give the illusion that they are really floating, since in the model they just look to be on wire.

RSoxNo1

I would argue epcots greater need is high capacity people eaters the few it has are all relics and don't ever utilize that capacity because nobody wants to ride them.
EPCOT Center was built with large capacity attractions and they were gradually replaced with lower capacity replacements. I'd like to see family friendly replacements for Imagination and UoE kick in at around 1800-2400 an hour.

matt9112

DAKAerial-7.jpg

if you zoom in you can see the arches on top of the mtn clearly
EDIT: im curious what those "lines" that are running on the ground below mtns and water feature

what are the concrete subdivided sections in the dead center of this photo? they go from left to right from show building to mountains.

BrianLo

Here's some new reference photos to track the current progress. Carsland 14.5 and 13 months (respectively) from opening.

march25-6.JPG

P1000063.jpg

Full disclosure, pretty much everything out of frame to the right is painted. Decidedly not many ancillary buildings though compared to what Pandora has going on.

I think April 22, 2017 (Earth Day, Animal Kingdom's anniversary) seems like a pretty safe Grand Opening bet, with soft openings before - perhaps even in late March.

Cesar R M

i wonder how disney might prevent rain water from sliding down the floating mountains and absolutely soaking people underneath. I know there was some engineering technique that worked for spaceship earth, but i dont think the same way would be possible for a floating mountain. Perhaps disney won't do anything either, but that would be a good idea to try to mitigate the problem

EDIT: From DisneyFanatic.com:

"Spaceship Earth is actually comprised of 2 spheres. The first one contains the actual ride; the second one is a sort of “shell”, located 2 feet outside the first sphere. The 2-sphere design allows rain water to be gathered in a type of gutter system, rather than streaming down the sides on to people below. The water is actually absorbed through the first sphere through small openings in the surface, and the water is then channeled into the World Showcase lagoon through the gutter system"
perhaps this is why the floating mountains are hollow?
they could collect the water via these holes and redirect them via the "vines" (which are hollow with rockword on them)
and then redirecting the water to these "tunnels" below the bridge towards the tiffins canal area (or the canal behind avatarland)

Jae99

Some new pictures from blogmickey.com
AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-1.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-2.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-3.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-7.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-9.jpg

And one from more of the back of the land with what is apparently a bathroom. You can see the mess hall in the background.
AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-10.jpg

Its good to see all of the little details being added. Looks like lots of attention to details. Even the very tops of the mountains are getting fine foliage details.

Cesar R M

Some new pictures from blogmickey.com
AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-1.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-2.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-3.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-7.jpg

AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-9.jpg

And one from more of the back of the land with what is apparently a bathroom. You can see the mess hall in the background.
AnimalKingdom_Pandora_03192016-10.jpg

Its good to see all of the little details being added. Looks like lots of attention to details. Even the very tops of the mountains are getting fine foliage details.
agree, the floating rocks finally look like rocks, looking awesome.
I hope we get such detailed stuff as Harambe.

In the sea of cost cutting.. Avatar seems to be progressing nicely and giving me hope.

Daveeeeed

agree, the floating rocks finally look like rocks, looking awesome.
I hope we get such detailed stuff as Harambe.

In the sea of cost cutting.. Avatar seems to be progressing nicely and giving me hope.
They aren't going to screw over James Cameron. And Star Wars has mega potential they aren't going to cut from that either. Either way though the detail on these lands looks fantastic, and nothing in the world can be compared to floating mountains as a whole.

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom