AVATAR land construction progress

WDWDad13

I can hear what sounds like more than 1 heavy equipment type machinery working in the avatar section today along with some hammering of some kind (sounded like metal?)

From a distance you can also see several large cranes in the area

Either way the area is getting attention as I type this

jt04

I can hear what sounds like more than 1 heavy equipment type machinery working in the avatar section today along with some hammering of some kind (sounded like metal?)

From a distance you can also see several large cranes in the area

Either way the area is getting attention as I type this

You might want to check the new aerials in this forum added a couple days ago. They are here. :cool:

twebber55

All of this "Which is better Avatar or Potter"....who really cares? Is it that important?
Some people will love Potter, some will love Avatar....some will love both. Either way both parks are going to be around for a long time and they aren't going anywhere.
agreed..im going to enjoy both and not worry about who likes or doesn't like either park

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
All of this "Which is better Avatar or Potter"....who really cares? Is it that important?
Some people will love Potter, some will love Avatar....some will love both. Either way both parks are going to be around for a long time and they aren't going anywhere.
It's not exactly about which one will be better, more about which company does it the right way. If Avatar Land becomes another FLE (cut budgets that lead to a lack luster final product) then it will be more evidence that Uni is beating Disney at their own game (in O-town at least) and die hard Disney fans don't like to hear/admit that.

juan

It's not exactly about which one will be better, more about which company does it the right way. If Avatar Land becomes another FLE (cut budgets that lead to a lack luster final product) then it will be more evidence that Uni is beating Disney at their own game (in O-town at least) and die hard Disney fans don't like to hear/admit that.

What budgets for FLE were cut? FLE today has more (7DMT) than what was originally planned and announced. It was originally supposed to have the crappy little cottages, but got another ride instead.
Also, how is it lack luster? There was no intention to ever build a zillion E-ticket rides there. 7DMT is built exactly how it was supposed to be. I don't know why people got their hopes up that it was some huge thing like the next Big Thunder. Compared to the original princess cottages, I'd like to think it's a big upgrade.

In regards to "Uni beating Disney at their own game," what exactly is Disney's game?
Disney has never been about thrill rides. It's all about story, immersive environments, and show. Yes Disney doesn't have big thrills, but you get immersed in whatever area you walk though. Universal has some truly great rides, but severely lacks on the immersion. Hogsmeade is great, but once you step off the main drag, you lose it (visible show buildings of FJ, un-themed dueling dragons ride, etc).
I don't know why both places can't exist in the minds of fans. Each resort has different and unique experiences to offer. I go to Universal for the thrills and Disney for the immersion.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
What budgets for FLE were cut? FLE today has more (7DMT) than what was originally planned and announced. It was originally supposed to have the crappy little cottages, but got another ride instead.
Also, how is it lack luster? There was no intention to ever build a zillion E-ticket rides there. 7DMT is built exactly how it was supposed to be. I don't know why people got their hopes up that it was some huge thing like the next Big Thunder. Compared to the original princess cottages, I'd like to think it's a big upgrade.

In regards to "Uni beating Disney at their own game," what exactly is Disney's game?
Disney has never been about thrill rides. It's all about story, immersive environments, and show. Yes Disney doesn't have big thrills, but you get immersed in whatever area you walk though. Universal has some truly great rides, but severely lacks on the immersion. Hogsmeade is great, but once you step off the main drag, you lose it (visible show buildings of FJ, un-themed dueling dragons ride, etc).
I don't know why both places can't exist in the minds of fans. Each resort has different and unique experiences to offer. I go to Universal for the thrills and Disney for the immersion.
First off, relax, ill take Disney over Uni anyday so dont make it seem as if my comments were me saying Uni is better. I was just comparing what each company did with its expansions. Disneys "own game" was being the absolute best, on a level where nobody was even remotely close. I'd say Uni is pretty close, they're practically breathing down their neck. Not attendance wise, but creativity wise? Yes. I'm not any happier than you about it, but I can admit that Uni is doing a damn good job of building quality and immersiveness and in a timely fashion. Maybe cuz they don't have an infrastructure project dragging on their bottom line.

Thrill rides have little do with the fact that FLE has very little substance to it. A clone, some M&G's, a second Dumbo and a cute kiddie coaster. It's not bad, but it's not on the level of what Disney used to accomplish in 4 years (*cough* entire parks *cough).

djkidkaz

Uni is not even close to Disney. Harry Potter was Disney quality in my opinion but then they built Transformers in a big warehouse with a horribly boring and barely themed queue. Simpsons area is another example of Uni not even being able to repeat the level of quality they have in Hogsmeade. Simpsons has the cheap carnival games everyone hates and a dumbo spinner. As well as the shops which have themed exteriors that don't match the interiors and the whole land just doesn't feel immersive due to the fact that the outside world isn't blocked from view. You can turn and see the lake and all across it to the other side. The new Harry Potter area looks like it will be the level of quality as the original but the one constant I see is JK Rowling. When she's involved you get top quality, when she's not you get Transformers and Simpsons.

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Simpsons Area appeals to young and old alike, as does Hogsmeade and so will Diagon Alley. Ill take Transformers any day over Mermaid or Belles cottage. Theres a few places to eat and drink at Simpsons Area and I think the Duff Beer is a great idea. May not be very immersive, but still fun. Im not sayin Uni is gonna pass Disney ANY time soon (or ever), but they are trying their a** off and I will give them credit. Rowling may be the constant but perhaps they are learning from her determination to make it unique. Maybe if Cameron acts the same way, Avatar Land will be awesome.

I just know Disney is much better than what they have been doing. Overlaying Maelstrom isnt gonna help. ya, fans of Frozen will love it, but they are selling those fans short of a unique attraction that Frozen deserves and the casual visitor will never know what could have been and World Showcase will loose a part of its identity and Epcot still has the same amount of attractions in the end. I want to see Disney do something amazing, its been so long since they have, (in Orlando at least)

Beholder

Disney has been and will continue to be my favorite theme park. It still does things no one else does. But, I do understand the frustration that we feel at times. For me personally, I think UNI and IoA have been getting the headline attention stuff with the exciting attractions. HP, Transformers, Simpsons and maybe JP tend to be more "trendy" more "now". The general populace tends to pay more attention. Also I believe part of the issue is when people use cutting edge, state of the art, setting the bar to describe HP, I get a tad bit territorial. I want Disney to have those accolades, especially since they are more than capable of accomplishing this. I don't think there is anything wrong with the 7DMC or FLE (except maybe the mermaid), it's just having it compared to what are arguably more "advanced" attractions, smarts. At least that's how I feel about it. I want my team to be the best, all the time.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom