AVATAR land construction progress

PorterRedkey

I still think that the easiest way to work it is to have a bench of guests carried as a gondola below the banshee (you can even have a Na'vi AA "piloting" the banshee). That would fit better than have multiple riders on top of each banshee; and having each guest have their own banshee would seem to take up a lot of space and thus negatively impact capacity.

While I agree this makes sense, it really goes against what Iger mentioned in his quote.
"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. "

I am not sure how you would see the body movements of your banshee if it is above you with some type of harness attaching your harness to the "gondola".
Also the choice of the word upon has me thinking we will be up on top of the banshee. Technically, you would be upon any ride vehicle (or vessel as Iger words it). Pirates vessel, a boat. ToT's vessel, an elevator, etc. However, if the banshees themselves are vessels then I believe he is saying we riding upon the banshee.

Semantics, hooray! :geek:

flyerjab

While I agree this makes sense, it really goes against what Iger mentioned in his quote.
"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. "

I am not sure how you would see the body movements of your banshee if it is above you with some type of harness attaching your harness to the "gondola".
Also the choice of the word upon has me thinking we will be up on top of the banshee. Technically, you would be upon any ride vehicle (or vessel as Iger words it). Pirates vessel, a boat. ToT's vessel, an elevator, etc. However, if the banshees themselves are vessels then I believe he is saying we riding upon the banshee.

I will be honest and say that this would be beyond amazing if it were true. I just don't see how it would be possible without really cutting into the amount of guests per hour that the attraction will be able to manage. I was assuming that aside from being a big E-Ticket attraction, that this would also really be a big people eater ride due to having 4 operating theaters.

PorterRedkey

I will be honest and say that this would be beyond amazing if it were true. I just don't see how it would be possible without really cutting into the amount of guests per hour that the attraction will be able to manage. I was assuming that aside from being a big E-Ticket attraction, that this would also really be a big people eater ride due to having 4 operating theaters.

I really don't know how they would do it either.

Perhaps, guests could ride smaller "baby" banshees since we are not giant Navi people. These still would be huge (4 seats wide). The seating would be in 2 levels, so 8 riders per banshee. If they could fit 9 banshees in each theater (staggered 3 for each level), that would be 72 riders per cycle, per theater. That would be 288 for the 4 theaters per cycle. If the turnaround on the theater was 8 and 1/2 minutes, there would be 7 cycles per hour for a max 2,016 riders per hour.

flyerjab

I really don't know how they would do it either.

Perhaps, guests could ride smaller "baby" banshees since we are not giant Navi people. These still would be huge (4 seats wide). The seating would be in 2 levels, so 8 riders per banshee. If they could fit 9 banshees in each theater (staggered 3 for each level), that would be 72 riders per cycle, per theater. That would be 288 for the 4 theaters per cycle. If the turnaround on the theater was 8 and 1/2 minutes, there would be 7 cycles per hour for a max 2,016 riders per hour.

The one aspect of this that would be incredible (IF the statements about each person riding on a banshee were true) is to imagine the huge Soarin' theater, and then imagine getting on an individual ride vehicle and being suspended like that in mid air in an open space that large in front of a giant wrap around screen with 3D. It would really be a new ride experience, especially if there are multiple people suspended within the open space in front of the screen on vehicles that have full range of motion.

This is why I just don't think it is possible for it to work. That description I just wrote sounds to good to be true. I still think that it will be similar to the Soarin' setup, except that the motion of the vehicles will be way more dynamic.

PorterRedkey

The one aspect of this that would be incredible (IF the statements about each person riding on a banshee were true) is to imagine the huge Soarin' theater, and then imagine getting on an individual ride vehicle and being suspended like that in mid air in an open space that large in front of a giant wrap around screen with 3D. It would really be a new ride experience, especially if there are multiple people suspended within the open space in front of the screen on vehicles that have full range of motion.

This is why I just don't think it is possible for it to work. That description I just wrote sounds to good to be true. I still think that it will be similar to the Soarin' setup, except that the motion of the vehicles will be way more dynamic.

I am probably just setting myself up for disappointment, but with Cameron involved who knows.

I don't picture the space as being so open, just banshees on a stick no suspended. The stick is in the back of the banshee, so the guests can not see it. All the banshees are directly above or below each other. The ride moves the stick to simulate motion on the banshee along with the 3-D movie.

I am going to look as the suspected ride system again to see if that is how it works.

PorterRedkey

Okay so, the Vekoma Panoramic flight simulator is suspended like you mention above. If this is the actual ride system, unmodified, then it would be harder to do. You could still dress the seats as a banshee and the suspension rig could be dressed as the belly of the banshee above you. However, with a single level of seating, the ride capacity would be diminished too much for an E-ticket attraction.

dstrawn9889

Okay so, the Vekoma Panoramic flight simulator is suspended like you mention above. If this is the actual ride system, unmodified, then it would be harder to do. You could still dress the seats as a banshee and the suspension rig could be dressed as the belly of the banshee above you. However, with a single level of seating, the ride capacity would be diminished too much for an E-ticket attraction.
iride.jpg

the proposed ride system, and i would say if any animatonic banshees, they would be hiding the hydro above: you need the wing gondola top for wind effects

P_Radden

I think it could look like the ride system pictured here, but instead of row seating, think of a "banshee" that you would climb up on and sit front to back, not side by side. Does that make sense? ( I am by no means a ride engineer)

dstrawn9889

I think it could look like the ride system pictured here, but instead of row seating, think of a "banshee" that you would climb up on and sit front to back, not side by side. Does that make sense? ( I am by no means a ride engineer)
building that out lessens the amount of people in the theater and how much weight the hydro can support(LESS capacity). Everyone need to be less literal and more pragmatic. if there is banshee themeing on the gondolas themselves it will be above the glider 'wing'

danlb_2000

Premium Member

An important thing to note about that quote, is that in the Variety article which it came from that it is not presented as a quote. The only thing directly quoted from Iger is ..

:“It felt so real, so lifelike,” Iger said of the prototype vehicle guests will board to travel through the fictional land. “There’s never been anything like it.”

P_Radden

Yeah on second thought, I don't think the ride system will be suspended. Its more logical the gondolas (banshees) would have the mechanics underneath them. Thus riding on top. It would be really cool if they moved their heads and breathed while you are entering the area and boarding them. Make them seem real, like they are alive and waiting for you, the rider.

Scor1pion

My thoughts....how would elderly and handicapped climb aboard something like this? From what I've been reading on here, all I can picture is a ride system similar to the motorcycle games in arcades. I would imagine there would have to be mixed seating if a ride system like that was put in to place. As cool as I think it would be to ride a banshee type ride, I know my wife would rather sit in a chair.

PorterRedkey

An important thing to note about that quote, is that in the Variety article which it came from that it is not presented as a quote. The only thing directly quoted from Iger is ..

:“It felt so real, so lifelike,” Iger said of the prototype vehicle guests will board to travel through the fictional land. “There’s never been anything like it.”

I was looking at the article on The Disney Times that reports he said the quote I mentioned.
http://disneytimes.com/2014/12/more-details-on-disneys-avatar-attraction-revealed/

From the article:
Moving beyond the teases, Iger revealed some more details:

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin’”

danlb_2000

Premium Member
My thoughts....how would elderly and handicapped climb aboard something like this? From what I've been reading on here, all I can picture is a ride system similar to the motorcycle games in arcades. I would imagine there would have to be mixed seating if a ride system like that was put in to place. As cool as I think it would be to ride a banshee type ride, I know my wife would rather sit in a chair.

The leaked plans showed two of theaters being ADA compliant, so it's likely that they would have an alternate type of seating for handicapped riders. Maybe 1 or 2 seats in each of those theaters.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I was looking at the article on The Disney Times that reports he said the quote I mentioned.
http://disneytimes.com/2014/12/more-details-on-disneys-avatar-attraction-revealed/

From the article:
Moving beyond the teases, Iger revealed some more details:

"The vessels that guests will ride upon will essentially be the banshees themselves, with bodies that move to mimic a breathing beast. The flying sequences will be brought to life through large video screens — similar to “Soarin’”

Thanks, good to see clarification that it was actually a quote. It wasn't clear in the Variety article where that info come from.

Tom

Beta Return
The leaked plans showed two of theaters being ADA compliant, so it's likely that they would have an alternate type of seating for handicapped riders. Maybe 1 or 2 seats in each of those theaters.

I think the ADA compliance in those two theaters comes from the ramp system they use to get riders to each of the three "ride levels", rather than making everyone use stairs.

The Vekoma "soarin-like" system will almost definitely be the ride system used....or a customized version of it. It will be suspended, not supported, as shown in that photo. I predict the gondola, as a whole, will be themed to resemble the banshee in some fashion. The "breathing" feeling will likely be achieved by subtle movements of the conveyance gondola, combined with sound effects and special effects.

180º

I think the ADA compliance in those two theaters comes from the ramp system they use to get riders to each of the three "ride levels", rather than making everyone use stairs.
Namely, to get the riders from those two theaters, while the rear two theaters require the upper level riders to descend stairs to exit. Correct?

RSoxNo1

The Vekoma "soarin-like" system will almost definitely be the ride system used....or a customized version of it. It will be suspended, not supported, as shown in that photo. I predict the gondola, as a whole, will be themed to resemble the banshee in some fashion. The "breathing" feeling will likely be achieved by subtle movements of the conveyance gondola, combined with sound effects and special effects.
The problem is if the steel structure is exposed like in Soarin' it's not going to look that good. Perhaps at the load area it will be made to look like we're boarding a Banshee, but then when the ride lifts into place that goes away?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom