AVATAR land construction progress

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Silly novice question...apparently there is someone inside that crane in the white box near the top. Wow...scary job that must be 2-300 feet up. do you have to climb up the internal structure/staircase?

There is a ladder within the support structure to get to the cab. You can see it here. And you thought your commute to work every day was rough. ;)

VSgAHiu.jpg

doctornick

News is broken so much faster now. So many are quick to say "But it only took a year to build "A" or 2 years to build "B". If we go back to the idea of WDW, and the acquiring of land, there is quite a large time gap. The actual construction of Avatar did not begun in 2011. :)

Can you imagine how much complaining there would have about the time it was took to build the DL Haunted Mansion if it were under construction today?

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Silly novice question...apparently there is someone inside that crane in the white box near the top. Wow...scary job that must be 2-300 feet up. do you have to climb up the internal structure/staircase?
Yep. You want a really scary view, go up in a container crane sometime. You get to spend your entire day looking straight down with noting but glass between you and the ground.

hqdefault.jpg

The people that do this kind of work simply have no fear of heights. To them walking along a steel girder 300' in the air is no different than strolling down a sidewalk.

Last edited:

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Yep. You want a really scary view, go up in a container crane sometime. You get to spend your entire day looking straight down with noting but glass between you and the ground.

hqdefault.jpg

The people that do this kind of work simply have no fear of heights. To them walking along a steel girder 300' in the air is not different than strolling down a sidewalk.

Amen. I actually had less fear of containers being unloaded from a ship. The crane operators that have to pull out beams, steel coils and even rollercoaster track from the belly of the ship is initially unnerving. I have always been in awe of the longshoremen and stevedores that are down in the hold hooking up all this steel and remain down there as the crane operator pulls it out. Climbing up the side of a ship was never a thing one daydreamed while doing. I don't know if it was a lack of fear on my part more you stay so focused on what is happening around you. Everyone on the ground at a construction site or at a ship count on those crane operators staying focused and they do. Most of the mega cranes I've been around are manned but are computerized.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
deFFu1i.jpg

this picture at Orlando theme park news is interesting to me
is that a door way covered in mesh on the bottom left?

It looks rather small. The scaffolding decks are probably no more then 7-8 feet apart so that "door" is probably only 4 foot high at the most. Maybe it's an access panel for something.

HauntedMansionFLA

Question for someone who has stayed at AKL recently? Can you see the floating mountains or anything Pandora from the resort? I think it would be cool if you could see the land at nighttime when it's all lit up at night. I would have posted this over at general park threads but wanted to stay here where the thread is positive. Thanks! :)

djkidkaz

Question for someone who has stayed at AKL recently? Can you see the floating mountains or anything Pandora from the resort? I think it would be cool if you could see the land at nighttime when it's all lit up at night. I would have posted this over at general park threads but wanted to stay here where the thread is positive. Thanks! :)

Do any of the rooms even face DAK? Obviously there aren't any rooms that can see Everest so id imagine the floating mountains probably can't be seen from the resort either.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom