AVATAR land construction progress

toolsnspools

So who wants to be anywhere near this thing when they take out the black support scaffolding? Not me. Can you imagine the creaking sounds coming from that steel structure? Come to think of it, I moved into a new building at work and for months after we moved in, the steel would snap and pop while it was settling. Sometimes it was loud enough to really give you the chills. This thing will probably be doing that for years.

Texas84

Isn't that side along the service road that guests don't normally travel? If so, they might just do a mural aka CarsLand

Easy to see from the AK buses. I guess it will just be a huge wall like the back of Everest. Oh well. My thinking is this is supposed to be another world and it should be hidden from outside view as much as possible. Most likely wishful thinking due to the heights involved.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
Easy to see from the AK buses. I guess it will just be a huge wall like the back of Everest. Oh well. My thinking is this is supposed to be another world and it should be hidden from outside view as much as possible. Most likely wishful thinking due to the heights involved.
I agree that is should be hidden. However, if we look at the difference of the back of E:E from day one to today I would say they did a pretty good job of concealing it. It just took time for the tree line to grow tall enough.

I hope and would assume that the same thing will happen with Pandora.

andre85

I agree that is should be hidden. However, if we look at the difference of the back of E:E from day one to today I would say they did a pretty good job of concealing it. It just took time for the tree line to grow tall enough.

I hope and would assume that the same thing will happen with Pandora.

Agreed with this. Backside of EE actually looks pretty convincing, whereas they did nothing with Cars Land.
i-j5dwNwx-M.jpg

bakntime

I couldn't care less what the backside of these buildings look like. Universal/IOA doesn't even hide their boxes completely from inside the park, let alone outside it (Forbidden Journey's show building is visible from a couple different places inside the land). I want the money and themed disguises to go on the inside of the park. In fact, going "over the top" on disguising the building when viewed from outside the park can be even more jarring than just making it go away with a coat of blue paint. A giant rock mountain looming out of the trees would look silly from that perspective, since it's lacking the context of the rest of its proper environment within the land itself.

Nothing was worse than the skyway at the Magic Kingdom. You could see so much ugly from up there, and that was while you were in the park.

Leave the backs of the show buildings alone. Put the money where it matters :joyfull:

andre85

I couldn't care less what the backside of these buildings look like. Universal/IOA doesn't even hide their boxes completely from inside the park, let alone outside it (Forbidden Journey's show building is visible from a couple different places inside the land).

The building was even visible from within the queue! I don't get how they got so close to theming perfect, then halfass it where it counts. Have you seen that ride in Japan?

BlackLake2.JPG

How did they think that was acceptable? Though to be fair, I guess they're counting on the treeline to eventually fill it in?

ABQ

Isn't there a long area of foliage just to the north of the bus terminal stops currently? Could they not add some taller species of trees to at least obscure it from within the bus and parking lot line of sight with something that simple? I know it can't be concealed completely, but it only needs to block, mostly, the line of sight someone gets from the height of a bus. Though they'll never be able to block if from that overpass that leads to the AKL

OldBlueEyes

Picture-update from morning juli 23rd:
Busy, busy, busy! Six cranes (view from parking lot):
IMG_6417cr.jpg

Freestanding mountain:
IMG_6410cr.jpg

The left one of the middle three:
IMG_6413cr.jpg

Left and middle mountain (sorry 'bout the blue-ish tone in this one, something's wrong with my camera!) :
IMG_6414cr.jpg

And finally a panorama:
IMG_6411cr.jpg

Situation report: I was there right after opening at 9, and there was no security guards, only the usual CM at the park-entrance to Rainforest Cafe.
Enjoy
OBE

flyerjab

Picture-update from morning juli 23rd:
Busy, busy, busy! Six cranes (view from parking lot):
View attachment 102581
Freestanding mountain:
View attachment 102582
The left one of the middle three:
View attachment 102584
Left and middle mountain (sorry 'bout the blue-ish tone in this one, something's wrong with my camera!) :
View attachment 102585
And finally a panorama:
View attachment 102586
Situation report: I was there right after opening at 9, and there was no security guards, only the usual CM at the park-entrance to Rainforest Cafe.
Enjoy
OBE

Great photos!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom