AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

ErikMichaelS

Please Enough already get off your soap box..If anything they are being forward thinking Avatar has Multiple sequals planned to be released around the time the land debuts..You bet your bippy after another 2 Billion in worldwide profits people will remember the characters..Damn the land isnt based on Characters at all..THE ENVIRONMENT IS THE MAIN CHARACTER..NATURE...thats why this is engenious..my 70 year old mother will see the beauty in that boat ride and it wont matter that she hasnt seen Avatar...I love it..was mixed upon announcement but now i am 100% on board and truly home that the Orlando Suits dont skimp n the funding and do this the right way

Why can't we agree on both sides of this?

Side 1 - It will be stunning to look at and to be in provided they make the investment and get it done. I cannot wait to see it happen.
Side 2 - No matter the sequels, the story has no staying power at all. I don't need James Cameron to tell me that humans are fat resource hogs that are depleting this planet of any and all natural resources. I knew that in 1976 or so.

ThemeParkJunkee

Basically, this is all Staggs will say about what will be in Pandora...

3) SPECIFIC ATTRACTIONS
Jenna from Winnetka, Ill., asks, “What types of attractions will be in AVATAR land?”
This was hands-down one of the most popular questions we got and understandably so. While we’re still in the very early stages of design and planning, we expect this land to be anchored by multiple attractions, entertainment, merchandise locations, restaurants and other immersive elements. Our AVATAR lands will give guests the chance to see, hear and touch the world of Pandora and we can’t wait to dive in with James Cameron and his team as we create new experiences that will delight and thrill our guests.

What this means? I have no idea. Why he chose to use the word "lands" possibly means different areas of Pandora.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
I'm happy their doing something but look at those 3 things I put in "bold", non of those are Disney products. That kinda has me feeling blah about this somewhat. New lands, themes, and rides are always good and welcomed but i'd like to see actual Disney products, not acquisitions they have acquired over the years.
Most everything at Disney are acquisitions from over the years. There are very few PURE Disney stories.

flyerjab

I just received my "keeps coming back" trophy or award. So now that I have had a chance to peruse this thread, I am wondering...do they give out an award for the most "not totally negative yet highly creative post"?

The reason I have more faith in this land coming together than for other recent projects is the fact that Cameron is attached to this. Disney screwed it up with Harry Potter and JKR. I am thinking that they did not make that mistake again with Cameron. Also, he gives everything he does 200%. Although you might not always like his movies, the effort behind them is clearly apparent.

And yeah, do I think that an environmentally minded contestant from "So You Think You Are Smarter Than a 5th Grader" could have written the script for Avatar? Absolutely. But the script of the movie does not mean that a land based on Avatar is going to suck. If it looks anything like that model, it will be a treat just to walk through it.

ThemeParkJunkee

Regarding Use of non-Disney IP:

7) WHY BUY SOMEONE ELSE’S IDEA INSTEAD OF LETTING WDI COME UP WITH SOMETHING?
Some of you asked why we would choose to collaborate with an outside partner rather than use our own Disney characters and stories to expand the parks. We are as committed as ever to creating attractions and entertainment around favorite Disney characters and stories – with Cars Land at Disney California Adventure park and our expansion of Fantasyland at Magic Kingdom Park being two great examples. At the same time, we like to look beyond our own walls at non-Disney properties, like STAR WARS and INDIANA JONES, creating some of our most popular attractions. At the end of the day, we are focused on creating a great experience for our guests and I truly believe that this unique partnership with James Cameron and AVATAR gives us an entire world of imaginative creatures, fascinating locations and intriguing characters with which to do that.

imagineer boy

Side 2 - No matter the sequels, the story has no staying power at all. I don't need James Cameron to tell me that humans are fat resource hogs that are depleting this planet of any and all natural resources. I knew that in 1976 or so.

Agreed. The thing that ticked me off most about Avatar was just how all of the morals and messages in it were things that are nothing new, we already know, and have seen thousands of times before. It all boils down to:

-Racism.... is BAD.
-The treatment of Native Americans.... was BAD.
-Greedy corporate behemoths.... are BAD.
-Depleting the earth's resources... is BAD.

Well no sh*t Dick Tracy! We've been taught all of those morals since Kindergarten. And the movie presents them like they're totally new and never said before which I really found to be condescending. And it doesn't do anything new with them other than replace the Native Americans with blue cat people...

NearTheEars

"Avatar"? Isn't that the overrated piece of cinematic eye candy that's just been eclipsed by the movie "Gravity"?

*yawn*

Looks like I'll continue skipping AK when I visit WDW in the future...

No, the Avatar that's the largest grossing worldwide released movie of all time ($2.8 billion)

Personally I have not seen the movie, but I don't see how any expansion to Animal Kingdom, especially one based around a wildly successful and wildly popular movie is dismissed by so many.

I think they will hit a home run with this.

And I'll certainly view the film in a few years before visiting the new land.

PeterAlt

the best part about the entire announcement is the nighttime show. it sounds like they are innovating with their entertainment again...and finding a way to bring glow with the show to AK. Hopefully the entire ToL will get the refurb it needs.

Now for all of the official DHS announcements...
...and the official EC announcements...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom