AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

bubbles1812

Bubbles --

I did the world traveling thing. I took my kids to Europe, to Australia, to Asia, and we went to Mexico and Canada too. I'm inching closer 60 every day and I just don't want to deal with going through customs again and I just don't want to worry about being in charge of making sure everyone I am with is safe in a foreign country. I did it all those times and I am done, hon.

So WDW is my annual tradition and it will be for as long as I can afford it. I work very hard to afford it and sacrifice other things in life to maintain my Disney vacation fund. I bet I am not the only super fan who does it.

I think you may have missed the point of what I was saying. I wasn't knocking you for going to Disney World every year nor do I look down or judge those who go to Disney World every year. That's perfectly fine. When I stated my personally philosophy about visiting Disney World, I wasn't saying it like that is the only "right way"...it's just how I feel/want to do my Disney experiences. I'd rather come back every few years and explore other places other years. I would be one of those to take the trip to Europe over Disney in a heart beat simply because while I love Disney, I think there is stuff beyond Disney that I want to experience. Other people don't feel that way and are happy returning to Disney every year. That's perfectly ok.

When I said I feel sad that people don't want to go to Europe when they could afford the opportunity, it wasn't meant to be a slam on anybody. I even understand you not wanting to deal with those hassles again...but at least you did Europe and those other places once. I actually envy all the places you've been. I just know how much Europe and other countries have to offer and I think if people have the opportunity to go, they should...like I said, I've never known anyone to regret a trip to Europe. But I would never berate someone for not making that choice. Again, just for me, to experience the World Showcase for "real"...well, as much as I love Epcot, the real countries are always better. Bu again, I don't think it's wrong to return year after year to Disney.

bubbles1812

Compared to traveling abroad, dealing with customs, changing money into euros, translating foreign languages, and clashing with cultures...it's pretty hassle-free to me in terms of vacationing.

Isn't that kind of the whole point of going to Europe or any other foreign country? To experience a new culture. And really, honestly, many foreign people know English...sure they don't all the time and some don't use it but you can usually find someone. And for the major "attractions" in each country, I don't think I've ever seen a place where an English option wasn't offered. Did you have some really bad experiences with customs? Maybe attempt to bring food back into the country? We just never had a problem with customs. Think most of the time coming back, we were there all of 5 to 10 minutes and concerning Euros, we'd do that here in the U.S. before we left. Sometimes it's hard to remember the exchange rate I guess and not make sure your not going over your budget but we usually just followed the rule of saying if we spent a euro, we were spending two dollars and so on.

Yest though, those are pains when it comes to traveling abroad. I give you that. Disney is less hassle probably. But I think what the poster was trying to say is that Disney is not hassle free. You could talk about the crowds, the sometimes god awful wait times, and the list goes on...all "hassles." You could even say the somewhat astronomically rising cost should 74's prediction come true as a hassle.

Beholder

A better option would be to look at the MK's current project (one that Kevin Yee was drooling over in his column today ... sorry if you're reading Kev, I really was disappointed in you gushing as much as that damn Casey Junior Pee While You Play Fountain does) ... because that is the height of what WDI has been allowed to do at WDW in many moons. If that impresses you, then you'll likely be sold.

But merchandise?!?! I have talked to industry
folks and they all see that aspect as a
tremendous challenge for Disney, to be kind. No
one wants or
buys anything Avatar related. There is pretty much no market. So, Disney

will have to create one. Vastly different from
Potter or Cars ... or, hell,
even Transformers!

You are probably correct in your assessment of
the reality of Avatar, but I was just expressing a
best case scenario, if you will. When I said look
towards IOA and DCA, I was suggesting that TDO
do that, not the reader of the post. As far as
merchandise goes, I'm confident it can be done,
but will it be done, is another issue altogether. If
they can make cheap rubber figurines
(Vinylmation) for the sole purpose of creating a
new trading craze like the pins, then I have to
believe that within the scope of the AK, at least,
they could build a somewhat solid foundation of
interest in Avatar/Pandora related stuff.

I'm not exactly thrilled by Avatar, but, in my way
of thinking, if its going to be done, put all the
energy and creative resources into creating
something even the doubters will love. The issue
isn't can it be done, but will Disney get behind
this 100%? Maybe, maybe not, but I like to hope. I can't do anything about it either way, but I'll wait and see like everyone else.

GeorgiaPinesRJB

Finally saw Avatar last night (I wasn't interested in the movie until I heard Avatarland would be coming to AK) and I think if an area of AK was about the flora and fauna of Pandora, than there could be some interesting attractions dreamed up by WDI. However, if the attractions were based more on the characters from the movies...well, I think that'll be just boring. Seriously, the only interesting thing about that movie was the world of Pandora that was created, I found the characters to be uninteresting and "cardboard."

Count me in the camp that feels that something else should be put in place of Avatarland (I keep hearing rumors of Australia or Antarctica, and I think those would be really interesting!). However, a Pandora section to AK wouldn't be bad... just way out of left field.

RSoxNo1

The negativity is extremely well placed and fair.

The ONLY WDW park that has remained true to its mission statement and hasn't really been watered down into a mess of conflicting themes (and just plain set decoration that some fans mistake for theme) is DAK.

It's about animals of Earth ... animals that once existed, currently exist or even those that may have never existed. It is NOT, most assuredly, about some anti-military sci-fi franchise involving blue alien sex kittens and fanbois getting to play inside a video game (what Avatar really is at its core) that has kewl looking upside down trees and these sorta dragon creatures and seeing Sigourney Weaver reminding us of how great she was in the Alien films, but isn't here etc.

I can't stop the project. I can HATE the concept of it. I can also still appreciate it if it is pulled off well ... and still not change my mind that placing it in DAK is a fundamentally flawed concept and one that will forever alter the park's vibe.

Again, if all anyone cares about is whether Disney ever adds anything to WDW parks (and who could blame them for that?), then they really won't care about my words above. But I am right.
I understand what you're talking about regarding the mission statement of the park, but to me a mythical animal is a mythical animal whether it's derived from Greek mythology or Cameron mythology. I don't feel that Cameron's creatures are any different than Lava Monsters or Giant Squids and I don't think any of those are much different than Dragons or Yetis.

I think the concern is that they could use Avatar as a franchise and completely ignore the messages in the movie that tie into the Animal Kingdom mission statement, or they could focus on the military aspect of the movie. I don't foresee that happening. Carsland and Star Tours showed me that when given the proper resources, the Imagineers can still do great work.

What excites me about the World of Avatar isn't really the source material, what excites me is that it has a decent budget that's going to be spent on attraction(s) and I've seen what can be done if there is a decent budget. Now if that gets cut...

threeyoda

I can't stop the project. I can HATE the concept of it. I can also still appreciate it if it is pulled off well ... and still not change my mind that placing it in DAK is a fundamentally flawed concept and one that will forever alter the park's vibe.

Again, if all anyone cares about is whether Disney ever adds anything to WDW parks (and who could blame them for that?), then they really won't care about my words above. But I am right.

Don't judge the project yet, it hasn't even opened, or started construction. Who knows if it will alter the parks vibe or is a flawed concept. Now, that's your opinion and I respect that, but it's not even close to being open. There's not even concept art. Wait until then to decide wether it will change the vibe.

And you are seriously saying that you are right? This is your opinion, and your entitled to that, but don't say that you are right. That implies everyone whose opinion differs from yours is wrong. They have opinions too, and their opinions are just as right and/or wrong as yours. No one will know until it opens.

RSoxNo1

A better option would be to look at the MK's current project (one that Kevin Yee was drooling over in his column today ... sorry if you're reading Kev, I really was disappointed in you gushing as much as that damn Casey Junior Pee While You Play Fountain does) ... because that is the height of what WDI has been allowed to do at WDW in many moons. If that impresses you, then you'll likely be sold.

But merchandise?!?! I have talked to industry folks and they all see that aspect as a tremendous challenge for Disney, to be kind. No one wants or buys anything Avatar related. There is pretty much no market. So, Disney will have to create one. Vastly different from Potter or Cars ... or, hell, even Transformers!

There was some uniquely created merchandise and food offerings in Carsland that I don't think many people anticipated. Something like the Cozy Cones are incredibly popular (and as a result, ineffecient). Things like the Flying Tires Hats, the Cozy Cone souvenir cups, and even the Carsland soundtrack (even though it's missing the Tony Shalhoub songs) are popular. But having said that, your point is well taken. Go to Walmart.com and search for Harry Potter, or Cars and you get hundreds of results. Search for Avatar and you get more results for Avatar the Last Airbender than you do for the Cameron movie.
My take is what I have said before repeatedly: WDW's fanbase in the social media/networking/Disney Lifestyler era is absolutely a key factor in WDW's parks getting treated like the red-headed stepchildren.

Fans don't help here (like they do in Anaheim or Tokyo), they help encourage the Walmarting of the product (see the thread on the twinkling lights in the Hub and read the Mouseplanet columnist's great essay on why what has happened is wrong on multiple levels). I mean, you will get folks who see nothing fundamentally wrong with the BAH at the Studios. On every basic design level ... and just creating a sense of time and place, it is wrong. But some peeps (many like it, like they did the wand over SSE).

The fanbase doesn't know what it wants or why, but is more than willing to accept almost anything Disney gives them. Storybook Circus? I mean, REALLY?!?! Hell, even Kevin Yee was gushing over it today.

Someone should start a revolution.

Do you think what WDW is currently doing should equate to giant cross the board price increases in 2013 for admission media, food and beverage and hotel stays? ... OK. this is where the Evil, Vile Disney Bashing, Lives on Fanboi Tearing Spirit drops a HUGE nugget of news into a different topic at 2 a.m. and we wait and see if anyone reads it, gets it and responds. ... Because right now, TDO is looking into increases of between 15-35% on ALL of the ABOVE come next year on top of all the recent increases (and more food increases coming soon). They believe Fantasyland is such a great addition and will be a Cars or Potter-like draw that they are in the planning stages of HUGE price increases (I won't point out that in two years my WDW Charter AP has gone up by almost 25%, although I do plan on demanding a $65 refund since my email quoted one price and they charged me the new one, of course, even after I purchased thru that link).

Well that's awesome. I think 2013 might be the first time since 2008 where I only visit WDW once. Instead of paying for a Premier AP, it might be a 5 day base ticket while staying off property. If the value isn't there, the fans will be turned off. Fantasyland doesn't have the substantial E-ticket that Carsland and Potter have. Maybe if they had done the classic cartoon ride using the Hunny Hunt ride tech they could justify and expect an attendance boost, but Mermaid isn't that ride.

I don't get how the thought process changed course midway through the development. They knew from the beginning that Fantasyland was a capacity booster but DCA 2.0 was an attendance booster. The DCA additions had legitimate draws that people would plan a vacation around - Carsland and World of Color. Fantasyland isn't that, it's a solid addition to a park that needed more capacity, but it's not a game changing addition.

So, what was the question? Getting tired. I ate and drank a lot today (including these kewl blue drinks that had both rum and vodka in them ... juices too!) and am having trouble keeping up ...maybe it's middle age, although I;m too young for that!

Sounds like the new N'Avi Nectar drink to be sold in the Home Tree bar.
Inflation. Inflation. Inflation.
Disney ticket prices have been increasing at more than twice the rate of inflation for at least 10 years.

gindagonda

I hope Disney replaces the obnoxious Chester and Hester area with part of the new Avatar Land. Animal Kingdom is such a beautiful park and has some great attractions like the Kilimanjaro Safari and the Lion King show, but the Chester and Hester area, in my opinion, was a big mistake and degrades the park. Even walking past it irritates me, with it's tacky midway games and loud, cheap looking atmosphere. I'd love it if they used that land as part of the Avatar area.

MerlinTheGoat

Dinoland isn't going anywhere (most unfortunately, it's a horrible and hideous stain on an otherwise at least gorgeously well themed park), Avatar is going in the Camp Minnie and Mickey area. Rumor was that Lion King would be relocated to Africa, hopefully it isn't cut altogether in the process of inevitable budget cutting...

Beholder

Cost cutting has impacts, but it is not the source of the creative vacuum that leads to things like Casey jr water play area. That was not done cheaply, nor was the train station. The problem is the direction and vision. You can work around budgets. You can't work around
poor leadership

And this seems to be the issue. Vision, or lack thereof. The company (WDW) appears to be resting on it's past glories and reputation. I love Disney, have forever, but it pains me at times to see all the wasted opportunities and lack of a cohesive direction.

I've had teacher friends if mine describe how frustrating it is for them to have students who have unrealized potential yet do nothing to take advantage of it. They do enough to get by, but nothing more, nothing that requires additional effort. I think that describes how I feel at times. They do great things, yes, but I think we all agree (generally) that they could mop the floor with the competition if they wanted to. And not just in terms of attendance or revenue.

gindagonda

Thanks for the info. Merlin. I'm sorry they won't be getting rid of the awful Chester and Hester area any time soon. I think it's not only terrible, but also disrespectful of Walt Disney's memory... part of the reason he created Disneyland and World is because he disliked tacky parks that were similar to Chester and Hester.

threeyoda

Cost cutting has impacts, but it is not the source of the creative vacuum that leads to things like Casey jr water play area. That was not done cheaply, nor was the train station. The problem is the direction and vision. You can work around budgets. You can't work around poor leadership

But what you see as a problem in direction and vision (Casey Jr.) others see as a nice little addition, and have absolutely no problem with it. Almost every park has a little water play area somewhere in it, and Casey Jr. is probably one of the most elaborately themed. I say they did a good job. They could've just put a couple of water jets in the concrete shooting water up like at DL or Downtown Disney.

gindagonda

We saw the Casey Jr. play area and we did like it. The kids really get soaked! I think they should find some material for the ground (possibly something padded, water proof, and not slippery) because I saw two kids slip and fall when they were running around. If not padded, at least something that isn't as slippery as what's there now, yet won't hurt if you fall on it.

Jim Handy

These increases would be outrageous and unjustified.

Also, none of WDW's parks are worth $100 a day. That's not my opinion, it is a fact. There is no way to get $100 worth in a WDW park in one day.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member

Also, none of WDW's parks are worth $100 a day. That's not my opinion, it is a fact. There is no way to get $100 worth in a WDW park in one day.
Give it a couple of years and we will be at $100

RSoxNo1

Relative to other entertainment offerings the pricing makes sense. Theater tickets are more expensive or comparable, as are tickets to sporting events. Those entertainment offerings are 2-4 hours, compared to 8 hours + at a Disney park.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Relative to other entertainment offerings the pricing makes sense. Theater tickets are more expensive or comparable, as are tickets to sporting events. Those entertainment offerings are 2-4 hours, compared to 8 hours + at a Disney park.
Absolutely agree.

flynnibus

Premium Member
But what you see as a problem in direction and vision (Casey Jr.) others see as a nice little addition, and have absolutely no problem with it.

The point wasn't if Casey was done well - but the argument about direction and creative standing. People are saying 'they went cheap and we get a water area instead of something more'. Caseys was not a cheap out dollar wise. It was a cheap out vision and ambition wise. FLE is not being done the cheap-but that isn't why it's not resonating with so many people.

In summary - its not the dollars that are turning people off, and people should stop blaming 'cheap' when it's not the quality that is failing to draw people in.

Stop the stereotypes and look at the actual subject in question

Jim Handy

Give it a couple of years and we will be at $100
$100 prices or $100 value?
As a New England Patriots season ticket holder, I'm well aware of expensive sporting tickets. (Most expensive in the NFL!)

But how often do you hear people complain about how much it costs to go to a theater? Or a ball game? It's not right to use over priced tickets to justify other over priced tickets.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom