AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

Did Knee

But that's not the point of Animal Kingdom, it's a tribute to the beauty and wonders of the animal kingdom on earth. If I wanted to be transported to some far off planet that also has these incredible things I would go to EPCOT or DHS where the theme fits better if not perfectly.

You have some point. Here is the Animal Kingdom dedication plaque in its entirety:

Welcome to a kingdom of animals...real, ancient and imagined:
a kingdom rule by lions, dinosaurs and dragons;
a kingdom of balance, harmony and survival;
a kingdom we enter to share in the wonder,
gaze at the beauty, thrill at the drama,
and learn.

My retort then is that there is a good amount of imagined animals in Avatar, and it was intended as a lesson in "balance, harmony and survival". In my mind, it is a perfect fit

mickeysaver

Wow, talk about your unexpected and very welcome news to see upon coming onto the site today. I am pleasantly stunned.

I didn't watch Avatar during the huge media hype blitz, but I did see it finally a few months ago and found that while it was a "tree huggy" kind of a film, it was an amazing feat of environmental creation and I fell in love with Pandora and it's native creatures and peoples.

James Cameron is one of my favorite directors of all time. He has an amazing creative mind. I can't wait to see what he manages to create with the help of a little pixie dust.

I know that I have a new thing to look forward to at Disney and that would be a meet & greet with Jake Sully. Come on 2016! :sohappy:

LongtimeReader

I vote for this to go in The Minnie-Mickey area, and move Lion King to the Storybook Circus in MK. The conceit of the FotLK show is that they're a traveling band of performers, and the show already has a big-top feel, so slap it in a "tent" and the MK gets a strongly needed stage show, and the whole east side of Fantasyland has more than a spinner, kiddie coaster, and water play area. Seems like a winning move to me.

stitchcastle

How does it fit better? And I the ONLY ONE that noticed the freaking DRAGON on the logo????? :shrug: The park was about animals of all parts of the world and the imagination. Without EE and other myths, how is it different than a zoo where you ride a truck instead of walk???

Yeah, all parts of the WORLD, not some far off distant imaginary planet set in the far future.

plaz10

I can't say I'm a big fan as I wasn't crazy about the movie. But I'm sure the gorgeous themes of the movie will translate well to the most gorgeous themed park in Disney (and this is from an anti-AK person)

Regardless of thinking it's not the best movie to counter act the HP (if thats their intent) hopefully it brings some cool rides to AK. And maybe it will bring me back to AK too!!

Skipper Dan

My thoughts, give me a chance...

Well, I attempted to read this entire thread, but I got to page 17, and gave up. It was at 39 pages when I started, and when I got to 17, it was already in the 40s.

Well, I'm floored by this. I slept-in today, woke up, got my phone, and thought I'd check out WDWmagic. You know, just to see if any planters had been moved, or if any new M&Gs were announced. To my utter bewilderment, I saw this, and literally had to take a double-take. I think I even said 'Huh?' Out loud.

Anyway, I think that everyone - including myself - has the same opinion, to an extent: 'Avatar' wasn't the greatest film of all-time - just the old-as-time Pocahontas story rehashed - but it was okay, and undeniably, visually stunning.

I can be quoted from earlier today - when I called everyone I knew to share the news - that I do believe it's a great opportunity for Disney to spread their creative wings, but Animal Kingdom means a lot to me, so they'll have to do it right (which is a very more-than-obvious statement), especially for it to blend cohesively. Although in the spirit of Joe Rohde's strong belief in using the word 'theme' correctly, the theme of both Avatar and Animal Kingdom, are remarkably similar.

I think it could work.

We all know of the three figureheads outside, above the ticket booths. The elephant, the dinosaur, and the dragon. Something tells me that the dragon head could be replaced with that of an Ikran (predominate, flying, dragon-like creatures from the film).

But addressing a point in the Universal vs. Disney topic, Universal - over many years - has acquired the rights to many major films, I think it's about time that Disney had a turn, and - as mentioned before me - what better rights to acquire, than that of the highest grossing film of all time?

I do hope the Cameron can create... more, for the next two films and land, because the problem with the world of Avatar, when compared to the world of Harry Potter, aesthetically, Potter just has more. For the most part, the world of Avatar is mostly vegetation, and rural, organic materials (which could be cheaper for Disney in the long run). But I want it understood that I see the potential. The bioluminescence and the creatures of Pandora, in a dark ride, and in the environments would/will be astronomical amazing and gorgeous, but that will only go so far. (I ain't pleased with my inability to express my opinion in this paragraph, so don't judge.)

IMPORTANT: But, for anyone willing to expect this development, but have a twinkeling of a doubt, I want you to recall the all-to-familiar music that plays throughout the park - especially the entrance - and then listen to this:

[YOUTUBE]oCYfZn2eufA[/YOUTUBE]

Then, as you listen, I'll leave you with this thought...

After I got over the initial shock, inevitably, I began to critique the idea. 'Avatar, and Disney?' 'In Animal Kingdom?' 'How will it fit?' 'It's Asia, Dinoland U.S.A., Africa. What're they going to call it? Avatarland?' Then I had an idea.

It's simple, Africa, Asia, and Pandora.

That's my two copper coins.

misterID

Part of the problem is should the name of the park not reflect its contents? Conservation is a message, not a theme. The park is called Animal Kingdom, not conservation kingdom, but conservation is an obvious message attached to animals and natural environments. Avatar does not relate to actual animals, natural environements, or human culture and mythology like the rest of Animal Kingdom. If we are ONLY looking at conservation, we are then ignoring all other aspects that make Animal Kingdom what it is now and what it was intended to be based on the name of the park.

I said it earlier, but this says it so well...

Interesting you pick the one park whose icon is a tree to try and make that point. Rafiki says, "Disney Animal Kingdom is NAHTAZU!"

No, sir. Behold the kingdom of beauty and wonder, apart from the beloved animals. I'll bet each of these images is instantly recognizable as Disney's Animal Kingdom:

The-Tree-of-Life.jpg

AK's signature icon is a tree. A tree of life.

And Pandora was about the connection between the enviorment and it's inhabitants. That included Animals. It's the reason she got all y when she had to save the dude from the alien wolves.

C.FERNIE

Though i have not seen the film, i do think this will be an awesome addition, sadly with FLE and this it reminds me of Eisners "Disney Decade" which never turned out as planned so i think ill just wait untill it opens to see if it is all we expect! :wave:

MKCP 1985

But that's not the point of Animal Kingdom, it's a tribute to the beauty and wonders of the animal kingdom on earth. If I wanted to be transported to some far off planet that also has these incredible things I would go to EPCOT or DHS where the theme fits better if not perfectly.

The point of Animal Kingdom is more broad than your interpretation. Again, celebration of nature and conservation are not limited by all to the Big Blue Marble.

Captain Chaos

Part of the problem is should the name of the park not reflect its contents? Conservation is a message, not a theme. The park is called Animal Kingdom, not conservation kingdom, but conservation is an obvious message attached to animals and natural environments. Avatar does not relate to actual animals, natural environements, or human culture and mythology like the rest of Animal Kingdom. If we are ONLY looking at conservation, we are then ignoring all other aspects that make Animal Kingdom what it is now and what it was intended to be based on the name of the park.

Part of the THEME of AK is CONSERVATION... Avatar fits PERFECTLY with the CONSERVATION message...

stitchcastle

So you had no problem with the aspect of an imaginary world, in an imaginary time, with imaginary creatures in AK, such as BK was going to be?

it wasn't just imaginary, Beastly Kingdom represented animals that were still an important part of our collective history and culture. It's not the same as imaginary animals in some movie.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom