AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

luv

Do you think many people would be against a flume ride based on Song of the South if it was introduced today?
I wouldn't. I don't know about other people.

I'm not actually all that jazzed about Transformers. I'm not a fan, of course. But I'm not against it. It's fine. It fits the theme there. And it will probably be a good ride. Not dying to see it open, like I am with Antarctica, but it will probably be good, overall. Not anti-Transformers there.

And I wouldn't be anti-Avatar in DHS. It would be fine there. I'd feel much the same as I do about Transformers, though I wouldn't be as confident that the ride would be good, lol.

I just do not want this thing in my beloved AK.

twebber55

I'm not asking you to understand or agree with it. If you're happy with the idea, I'm happy for you. I'm sure if you check out the "Rah! Rah! We love Avatar!" thread, you will find plenty of people who do agree with you.

I just don't like it at all, in any way.
oh i dont care one way or the other if you like it or not i just dont understand the hatred for a theme park attraction/land to the point you wont go give it a chance when it opens..just seems like there are many more important things is this world to be mad about than a theme park expansion...especally when there are not a ton of details about it yet...anyways happy hating!

misterID

I'm not actually all that jazzed about Transformers. I'm not a fan, of course. But I'm not against it. It's fine. It fits the theme there. And it will probably be a good ride. Not dying to see it open, like I am with Antarctica, but it will probably be good, overall. Not anti-Transformers there.

And I wouldn't be anti-Avatar in DHS. It would be fine there. I'd feel much the same as I do about Transformers, though I wouldn't be as confident that the ride would be good, lol.

EPCOT has been gutted of almost everything I Ioved about that park. My three favorite attractions are gone forever. I still visit the park. I still love the park. I don't go to the rides I don't like. Easy solution. You should look into it.

And I don't know what "Rah! Rah! I love Avatar" thread you're talking about. There's one that is meant soley for updates but still veers into arguments.

twebber55

are you a DAK enthusiast against the placement of it? if so i can see that to a certain extent

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm sure a lot of people would be against it for 3 reasons. 1) a small, but I'm sure very vocal minority would be put off by the racist elements the perceive in the film, 2) a larger group would point out that the film was never that big of a hit, wasn't that good, and probably wouldn't move merch and is full of characters that aren't recognizable, and 3) many Disney fans would ask what "plantation era south" has to do with with Frontierland. In the end, most would be happy it was built.

are you a DAK enthusiast against the placement of it? if so i can see that to a certain extent

I don't see a better place to put it. If done right, the prettiest theme park on the planet will get prettier. The upgrade over CMM will be massive. Plus, having FoTLK in a more logical spot is a huge placement improvement for me.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
EPCOT has been gutted of almost everything I Ioved about that park. My three favorite attractions are gone forever. I still visit the park. I still love the park. I don't go to the rides I don't like. Easy solution. You should look into it.

And I don't know what "Rah! Rah! I love Avatar" thread you're talking about. There's one that is meant soley for updates but still veers into arguments.

What I wouldn't give for a long, immersive dark ride to be built in EPCOT. I really miss Horizons and WoM myself. I guess we're in a minority? Disney must not think rides like that give a ROI.

luv

I'm sure a lot of people would be against it for 3 reasons. 1) a small, but I'm sure very vocal minority would be put off by the racist elements the perceive in the film, 2) a larger group would point out that the film was never that big of a hit, wasn't that good, and probably wouldn't move merch and is full of characters that aren't recognizable, and 3) many Disney fans would ask what "plantation era south" has to do with with Frontierland. In the end, most would be happy it was built.
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying I will like this when it is done? It would sure be nice...but I seriously doubt it. In DHS, I might like it...but I doubt it with them putting it in the AK. I think that is a big mistake for that park.

I saw SotS as a child. My only memory was of Uncle Remus and even that was dim. I tried to watch it on You Tube, but it was just too boring for me to sit through. So I can't really have an opinion on that in any way.

misterID

What I wouldn't give for a long, immersive dark ride to be built in EPCOT. I really miss Horizons and WoM myself. I guess we're in a minority? Disney must not think rides like that give a ROI.

Yeah. I mean, we got a fart joke to replace Tony Baxter's crowning achievement and one of WDW most popular and original creations in Imagination. A ride around a warehouse to replace the longest and most immersive dark rides in Disney history. And we got a glorified spinner CM's nicknamed the "vomit comet" to replace one of the greatest dark rides ever. Great, I'm angry now! Thanks a lot Luv.

twebber55

I don't see a better place to put it. If done right, the prettiest theme park on the planet will get prettier. The upgrade over CMM will be massive. Plus, having FoTLK in a more logical spot is a huge placement improvement for me.
George i agree with you i think it fits perfectly in DAK ..... conservation, living in harmony with nature, strong family ties are all central themes of DAK

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
I'm not sure what your point is. Are you saying I will like this when it is done? It would sure be nice...but I seriously doubt it. In DHS, I might like it...but I doubt it with them putting it in the AK. I think that is a big mistake for that park.

I saw SotS as a child. My only memory was of Uncle Remus and even that was dim. I tried to watch it on You Tube, but it was just too boring for me to sit through. So I can't really have an opinion on that in any way.

My point is that I think a lot of the reasons for disliking the plan are a bit off base (though I understand). It is a much better fit than many things that have been shoe horned in around the rest of the property. I have no idea if you'd like the land or not after its done, heck, I may not like it. I just see potential. Part of the reason this discussion has gotten so heated and specific and fiery is that Disney purposely built in this long lag time between announcement and start of construction. Now, we see signs of progress, but have actual artwork or anything to discuss except for something that was leaked long ago...insiders keep saying things are changing...who knows. But, it could give a visually stunning fantasy element to a park that needs that. Plus, the movie itself emphasizes conservation and whatnot which is a theme that runs through the rest of the park.

luv

Yeah. I mean, we got a fart joke to replace Tony Baxter's crowning achievement and one of WDW most popular and original creations in Imagination. A ride around a warehouse to replace the longest and most immersive dark rides in Disney history. And we got a glorified spinner CM's nicknamed the "vomit comet" to replace one of the greatest dark rides ever. Great, I'm angry now! Thanks a lot Luv.
No, no! Thanks a lot, GEORGE!! Not me. I didn't bring up Horizons, etc. :)

Or thanks a lot, Disney! Not luv.

;) :)

ctxak98

Splash mountain to me is a great example of how avatar could be. The attraction is amazing but the movie is not known to most of the public! It doesn't have too much merchandise selling off the shelves yet its one of the most popular attractions! Avatar could be the same way!

The point is none of us really know what were looking at yet because well.....none of us have seen more than some blueprints of the soarin ride! Which still didn't show what the ride is going to entail. If anything people should be complaining about chester and hester! My goodness Avatar fits way better than dinorama ever has! Atleast its not a kiddy carnival with a rollercoaster almost every six flags has! Build the excavator already! But anyways that's a topic for another day I suppose.

luv

My point is that I think a lot of the reasons for disliking the plan are a bit off base (though I understand). It is a much better fit than many things that have been shoe horned in around the rest of the property. I have no idea if you'd like the land or not after its done, heck, I may not like it. I just see potential. Part of the reason this discussion has gotten so heated and specific and fiery is that Disney purposely built in this long lag time between announcement and start of construction. Now, we see signs of progress, but have actual artwork or anything to discuss except for something that was leaked long ago...insiders keep saying things are changing...who knows. But, it could give a visually stunning fantasy element to a park that needs that. Plus, the movie itself emphasizes conservation and whatnot which is a theme that runs through the rest of the park.
Having been under the impression that it wasn't going to happen, I was confused, then surprised and disappointed with recent announcements.

I don't mind FotLK in Africa. That's fine. I'm kind of happy about that.

Like I said, I'm happy for people who are happy about this. And I guess they're going to do this, so you all should be delighted.

I'm just not on board the "Woo Hoo! Avatarland!" train.

luv

We people who are not fans need our own thread, too.

Then there could be one Only Pro-Avatar thread, one Only Anti-Avatar thread and one for people who just want to fight and be rude and insulting.

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member

Then there could be one Only Pro-Avatar thread, one Only Anti-Avatar thread and one for people who just want to fight and be rude and insulting.

I've enjoyed our discussion. I think the splitting of threads would be kind of boring. I hope I didn't upset you, I didn't mean too.

misterID

Absolutely. I still don't see what the big deal is. It's not replacing anything. It's actually going to fill wasted space, essentially. If someone doesn't like it, they don't have to even look at it.

It's not like they're replacing the Yeti with Stitch... Or another Blue alien o_O

luv

I've enjoyed our discussion. I think the splitting of threads would be kind of boring. I hope I didn't upset you, I didn't mean too.
Of course not! You are never rude, insulting or attempting to start fights. Not that I've seen, anyway. :)

I think we can have this difference of opinion and be just fine. I mean, I can't expect you to be right all the time. I must allow for an occasional time for you to be so wrong about something. ;) ;) ;)

misterID

What are you talking about? You haters hijacked this thread like Hans Gruber did the Nakatomi Building! :)

George

Liker of Things
Premium Member
Of course not! You are never rude, insulting or attempting to start fights. Not that I've seen, anyway. :)

I think we can have this difference of opinion and be just fine. I mean, I can't expect you to be right all the time. I must allow for an occasional time for you to be so wrong about something. ;) ;) ;)

Likewise, lol. Now, I've got lots of work to do (Weds. is a weekday at home for me each week) or I'll be in trouble with the wife who thinks my addiction to these boards is kind of insane. *sigh*

Padraig

Do you think many people would be against a flume ride based on Song of the South if it was introduced today?

It's the most obvious thing in the world, but I've only just connected the two thanks to your post. How did I miss it? I mean, really... HOW?

Now, I'm really curious as to how SM evolved and if there was any "awkwardness".

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom