AVATAR land coming to Disney's Animal Kingdom

lazyboy97o

Okay I misundertsood what you were saying and your logic is correct but your timeline is off...

In your example, the ROI forecasts on the $500 million would have already been done BEFORE they decided to pay the $100M for the rights. It's not like they'd pay the $100M and THEN do the math to see if a project would be worth it.
In order to properly guess I would think there would need to be some at least vague idea of what is going to happen.

There is also the issue of time passing. An idea that looks good today may well look worse as time moves forward. This is made even more true if the project is a pet project of a only a few people within the organization.

djlaosc

Better collaboration project: Brand new Living Seas.

Yes!

Cameron is just the right person who can breathe new life into the Living Seas. Let the cartoons find that fish they're looking for so they can be removed.
Then add some deep sea stuff, the kind you won't see in an ordinary aquarium. If they must use the wreck of the Titanic, then fine. Imbue an appreciation for the splendour and drama of the seas throughout the pavilion. Cameron can give the project a popular appeal, by virtue of his name and theatrical experience.

I would love for them to move "The Living Seas"/"The Seas with Nemo & Friends" to Animal Kingdom - it doesn't really fit in Epcot anymore (although we always spend time there when we're at Epcot) and any complaints that people have about Nemo (Pixarification/Cartoons invading Epcot/Nemo spread over 2 parks) would be solved, and it would give a new attraction to Animal Kingdom (and could potentially replace Chester & Hester/Primeval Whirl), which would solve another problem!

ChrisFL

Premium Member
I would love for them to move "The Living Seas"/"The Seas with Nemo & Friends" to Animal Kingdom - it doesn't really fit in Epcot anymore (although we always spend time there when we're at Epcot) and any complaints that people have about Nemo (Pixarification/Cartoons invading Epcot/Nemo spread over 2 parks) would be solved, and it would give a new attraction to Animal Kingdom (and could potentially replace Chester & Hester/Primeval Whirl), which would solve another problem!

Yeah, just move the world's second largest aquarium about 5 miles away...plus all of the thousands of fish...easy... ;)

djlaosc

Yeah, just move the world's second largest aquarium about 5 miles away...plus all of the thousands of fish...easy... ;)

Obviously it would work better in "Rollercoaster Tycoon: WDW Edition" with the drag/click of a mouse, but it still shouldn't be that difficult to do!
  • Build a new aquarium in Animal Kingdom
  • Move the animals from the Epcot aquarium to the Animal Kingdom aquarium (it's not like the fish magically appeared in the Epcot aquarium - they had to have travelled from somewhere else (possibly more than 5 miles away))
  • Demolish the old aquarium
Obviously that would cost money (and wouldn't really result in anything different - WDW would still have an aquarium - just an empty spot at Epcot instead of DAK), and would probably be more likely if/when Future World got a massive update (after Wonders of Life, Universe of Energy and Imagination, then they may look into demolishing an old pavilion for a new one), so would probably never happen, but I've always wondered why it was never moved in the first place to Animal Kingdom in the late 90s/early 00s when Beastlie Kingdomme got cut and the only addition between opening and Everest was a cut-down Asia, and The Living Seas at Epcot was run down before the Nemo makeover. They could have built Mission:SPACE there instead of over Horizons, for example.

Plus, the pavilion is open till 7pm in Epcot, so would help to be able to increase Animal Kingdom operating hours, at least by a couple of hours!

Taylor

Obviously it would work better in "Rollercoaster Tycoon: WDW Edition" with the drag/click of a mouse, but it still shouldn't be that difficult to do!
  • Build a new aquarium in Animal Kingdom
  • Move the animals from the Epcot aquarium to the Animal Kingdom aquarium (it's not like the fish magically appeared in the Epcot aquarium - they had to have travelled from somewhere else (possibly more than 5 miles away))
  • Demolish the old aquarium
Obviously that would cost money (and wouldn't really result in anything different - WDW would still have an aquarium - just an empty spot at Epcot instead of DAK), and would probably be more likely if/when Future World got a massive update (after Wonders of Life, Universe of Energy and Imagination, then they may look into demolishing an old pavilion for a new one), so would probably never happen, but I've always wondered why it was never moved in the first place to Animal Kingdom in the late 90s/early 00s when Beastlie Kingdomme got cut and the only addition between opening and Everest was a cut-down Asia, and The Living Seas at Epcot was run down before the Nemo makeover. They could have built Mission:SPACE there instead of over Horizons, for example.

Plus, the pavilion is open till 7pm in Epcot, so would help to be able to increase Animal Kingdom operating hours, at least by a couple of hours!
I think they should take nemo out of the seas and make a little mermaid style ride in animal kingdom without projections with AAs

flynnibus

Premium Member
Can move the ride without the entire aquarium obviously

But memo was done to repurpose existing infrastructure. Why duplicate that again when you don't have the same constraints

DisDadEddie

Besides Avatar if Disney wants to make a big splash get the rights to The Hunger Games and incorperate it into AK also. I read AK has two sections of land set aside for further developement.Haven't seen it but it seems the have a Harry Potter like following.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Besides Avatar if Disney wants to make a big splash get the rights to The Hunger Games and incorperate it into AK also. I read AK has two sections of land set aside for further developement.Haven't seen it but it seems the have a Harry Potter like following.

The story of Hunger Games would be totally in-appropriate for a Disney theme park, and unlike Avatar it doesn't really have a "place making" to fall back on if you down played the story.

midwest_mice

What I meant is a nemo dark ride that actually tells the story with AAs at AK like what there doing with little mermaid
Animal Kingdom does need some sort of slower dark ride or boat ride. Better yet, a motion simulator ride as if you're in a submarine and you can see sea creatures. Submarine voyage would be even better.

Beholder

Let JC and JR build an undersea attraction based on marine dinosaurs and other ancient sea life. I would love to see that. Take out primeval whirl and the rest of the muck and stick it there. How I would love to be in some sort of time machine/submarine and have a 45 ft long Kronosaur glide past me...

djlaosc

I want to see "the quaint old exhibits in the old wing"? (or is that supposed to be the queue?)

For the space between Finding Nemo and Dinosaur, I would like for them to move The Seas with Nemo and Friends from Epcot, and build something new to do with Prehistoric Life - expand the Dino Institute building and build an omnimover/boat ride like IASW/LwtL about other creatures (Mammoth, underwater creatures, etc.), or a timeline through the Prehistoric Times (like Spaceship Earth for prehistoric life instead of communication), or showing some bones and then the next scene showing what the were like when they were alive!

Make the Dino Institute like an Epcot Pavilion - enter the pavilion and then choose between the two attractions. Place Triceratop Spin just outside the entrance like other children's attractions tend to be.

If this happened, I would like them to keep Primeval Whirl, but I don't know what you would do with it, or where it would go - could they properly theme it to something else and move it elsewhere?

J03Y

Hunger Games wouldn't be appropriate for Disney. neither would Disney ever think it appropriate enough. it's an awesome and exciting movie, don't get wrong, but it's just not Disney.

DisDadEddie

Hunger Games wouldn't be appropriate for Disney. neither would Disney ever think it appropriate enough. it's an awesome and exciting movie, don't get wrong, but it's just not Disney.
Never saw the movie and know nothing about it. Just was going by the popularity and it seems to draw the same fans. I'm glad I didn't say Twilight or 50 Shades LOL!:oops:

J03Y

Never saw the movie and know nothing about it. Just was going by the popularity and it seems to draw the same fans. I'm glad I didn't say Twilight or 50 Shades LOL!:oops:

you really should get to know what's popular lol Hunger Games is about a televised match to the death with teenagers. literally, you see blood and gore. it's way too inappropriate for Disney.

and Twilight isn't that bad, it's just a sappy teen vampire romance. it gets bloody by the last two books.

and omg, no not 50 Shades of Grey :eek:

NoChesterHester

Adolescents killing other adolescents in an area for sport... GREAT family theme!

Run little Johnny - go get me the sword from the cornucopia! Slice - oh drat!

The story is dark and dystopian. It says a lot about how our society views our future. Not a great fascinating physical environment I'd be clamoring to visit either.

djlaosc

Adolescents killing other adolescents in an area for sport... GREAT family theme!

Run little Johnny - go get me the sword from the cornucopia! Slice - oh drat!

The story is dark and dystopian. It says a lot about how our society views our future. Not a great fascinating physical environment I'd be clamoring to visit either.

Could improve ESPNWWOS! ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom