Avatar Flight of Passage reviews, comments and questions

Rteetz

I've been on a few times and never saw anyone have issues with the legs. I know Banks said he did at some point, but that hasn't been an issue since, even for him. Maybe it's tough for some to get their knees under, but the leg/calf pads are pretty close to a non-issue since it's been adjusted.

I've seen a much greater issue with the lower back restraint. Cast Members basically doing a standing pushup against the restraint (after very politely checking with the seated guest) to get it to lock.
I have seen the majority of issues being in the leg restraints.

JediMasterMatt

I would, actually, say a greater concern lies with the legs. For the back restraint, you are leaning forward at an angle, and for the back to safely lock in, I believe the system is that it must be at a lower than 90 degree angle. The real concern lies with the legs, as the legs restraints have proven to prohibit the most people from riding. This is the first, and last for the forseeable future, ride that is not all that accomadating, and Star Wars will reverse that trend.

Just to back up what Magic Feather has stated, there are no concerns about the restraints on either attraction in SWL. Both will be very unrestrictive and will be more based on the intensity of the attraction rather than the safety of the restraint.

The issue with FoP here is the unusual body position that was mandated on RV trying to emulate being on the back of one of the Space Smurf's birds. By design, it's trying to emulate something that by nature you wouldn't want to have happen in a theme park attraction - have your head and shoulders shifted in front of your center of gravity. The restraint type is most analogous to the Motocoaster restraint system; but, with the extra headache of the "breathing" apparatus in the inflatable bladders. Unlike the Motocoaster restraints, the g-force loads should allow some "easy" reengineering to make the design more accommodating. It will just take a bit of time and money.

The real question is how did it make it to softs before this issue coming to light? Not having a test seat in place is ludicrous considering the real problem here isn't weight but is instead is just geometry. Geometry is everything in the restraint business. Get it right and you have no problems... get it wrong and you are no better than Intamin.

Rodan75

Just to back up what Magic Feather has stated, there are no concerns about the restraints on either attraction in SWL. Both will be very unrestrictive and will be more based on the intensity of the attraction rather than the safety of the restraint.

The issue with FoP here is the unusual body position that was mandated on RV trying to emulate being on the back of one of the Space Smurf's birds. By design, it's trying to emulate something that by nature you wouldn't want to have happen in a theme park attraction - have your head and shoulders shifted in front of your center of gravity. The restraint type is most analogous to the Motocoaster restraint system; but, with the extra headache of the "breathing" apparatus in the inflatable bladders. Unlike the Motocoaster restraints, the g-force loads should allow some "easy" reengineering to make the design more accommodating. It will just take a bit of time and money.

The real question is how did it make it to softs before this issue coming to light? Not having a test seat in place is ludicrous considering the real problem here isn't weight but is instead is just geometry. Geometry is everything in the restraint business. Get it right and you have no problems... get it wrong and you are no better than Intamin.

The test seat..seems the most egregious...this whole thing seems new territory for WDW. How do you make-good with FP+ with a headliner ride, when you have a size constraint, but no way to test it. A limited use FP voucher isn't going to cut it.

You would think this would be something that Jon Landau would have been conscious of, given that it looks like he barely fits in the seat during the Nightline interview.

tissandtully

I have seen the majority of issues being in the leg restraints.
It took the CM a little bit to get my leg restraints right on the first time I rode, the second time there was no issues at all. I have pretty muscular thighs and calves, he kept asking me to move my knees forward when they were already in there. I can definitely see those with larger dimensions having issues on this one. But this is still my favorite ride on property right now.

tissandtully

I have heard they hope to have the test seat installed by the end of the week.
Now that I think about it, CMs did have a stack of flash cards they were showing people what the ride system looked like and "Due to our unique ride system, we may not be able to accommodate all body types."

iubigman

Now that I think about it, CMs did have a stack of flash cards they were showing people what the ride system looked like and "Due to our unique ride system, we may not be able to accommodate all body types."
It has it on the official info online as well, but that's not really the issue to me, it's the fact that they built it NEEDING that disclaimer which is the issue.

tissandtully

Also another tidbit about the preshow is that it has a fail state, which I saw on the first ride, seems to be if there's an Estop or delay in the next room, the guy on the video comes on and says "There seems to be a problem, I'll be right back" and walks away and a Please stand by message comes up until it's cleared and the preshow continues.

doctornick

I don't know that I can level criticism at something being overengineered, though. If Disney or Uni reuses a ride system, they're being lazy, but if they try something new and it has any level of technical difficulty, then they've overengineered it and it's doomed to fail.

Yes. I think they should be commended what has gone into FoP. It seems like they started with the premise of "how do we make a ride that makes the guests feel like they are actually convincingly riding a Banshee" and built the proper ride mechanics to have that experience happen. The lazy/easy thing would have been to have a previously developed tech and made a ride that was "good enough" in order to have it be cheaper or fit more body types or whatever, but not done nearly as convincing a job of the experience.

The reviews seem to suggest that Disney nailed it with the execution. The use of more novel tech means that there will be more growing pains and issues to start -- but that's the point of previews and soft openings.

Last edited:

doctornick

No one has suggested there is, but I wanted to be sure: there's only one film for this ride, correct? No randomization or different experiences on different rides, right?

It will probably be popular enough without encouraging re-rides that way, but I feel like the move to digital film should encourage that type of option on screen based rides.

Jones14

No one has suggested there is, but I wanted to be sure: there's only one film for this ride, correct? No randomization or different experiences on different rides, right?

It will probably be popular enough without encouraging re-rides that way, but I feel like the move to digital film should encourage that type of option on screen based rides.
I think it's the only one, if only because they used up a LOT of Pandora's landscape in the one ride film. I'm totally fine with that, though; I'll take a single ride experience that's a 10/10 than have two or three of varying degrees of success.

flyerjab

I have ridden this ride twice now, and it is the real deal. It is tough for me to give a lot more info as so much is already available online. The queue is second to none in my book. It is simply a work of Imagineering art, providing a story of its own starting in primitive caves, advancing through the military base that is slowly succumbing to nature. The animal sounds in this section are a nice touch. The science lab with the Avatar floating in a tube is incredible. We also liked all of the studies and lab tests that were happening.

The decontamination room is fun. We really enjoyed the "theater" of it all. This is where they really do a good job of explaining things for you so that prior knowledge of the film really is not necessary. The scene with Dr. Ogden is also informative, furthering the narrative of what is about to happen. I also think that these sections really demonstrate why this land works better in DAK as opposed to DHS. The Imagineers were crafty with how they work in concepts of conservation, endangered species, etc. This world simply "fits" better in DAK.

The link chairs help build tension as you can watch the information on your personal screen of your link chair. The part I loved was the chair vibrates as you get closer to starting the simulator. Then these bright lights flash in your face. When you look up you suddenly realize that the wall in front of you is gone. The same flashes of light appear in front of you. This effect is so well done it is freaky how you transition from looking at the screen on your link chair to the big screen in front of you.

The simulated ride is exhilarating. I find that to be the best adjective to describe it. I really felt like I was flying. The 3D is great, helping to pull you in the action even more. The dives are very well executed, and the lean of the chair coupled with the wind that hits your face creates an effective illusion, as does the water sprays in your face during various oceans scenes. The water scene itself is one of my favorites. The cave where you stop about half way through is a beautiful moment within the ride.

All in all it is a home run, providing thrills without producing a lot of motion sickness problems. It is one of the best attractions in all of Orlando. If I were asked I would rank it higher than Gringotts in DA.

Last edited:

Patcheslee

Maybe by the time it's really open open, to all guests, there will be at least a test seat.
I'm surprised they didn't have this in the first place. Not only for fit but how many people have younger kids that are unsure of riding things until they see how the seating is for the ride? I don't know how many times there has been something DD8 has finally gotten tall enough to ride and she is unsure until she can check out the seats.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Looks great from the video. And I'm sure it's times better in person.

I do think that should happen.

It just befuddles me when they build attractions, especially "headliner" attractions, that have low capacity. Why? They have an empty plot of land... the freedom to do and choose anything... and they choose a system that can only handle (with the current ride time) about 1,500 guests an hour? Or even less? I love Joe Rohde and whatever imagineers have been doing a great job quality-wise with Animal Kingdom lately, but man, this just confuses me.

Flight of Passage will prove to be a popular ride, just as TSMM and Soarin' have. Troubling that they did not learn from their past mistakes.

Why is this a mystery to you Disney is CHEAP when it comes to the parks, Disney regards the parks as a mall where the attractions serve as 'bait' to get people spending in the shops and restaurants. So attraction spending is minimized to the extent possible.

From the GUEST point of view the attractions are primary and shopping and dining are ancillary functions.

This disconnect exists because senior management neither understands nor visits the parks on a regular basis and for sure never wears fur or dishes up QS as MDE did.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom