News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

celluloid

How is that the original? I never saw any artwork resembling what's been presented for Disneyland when they announced AK's Pandora.

The poster is right. It is an altering of the original artwork that was passed around WDI for Avatar at DAK.

But this was pre announcement at 2011 era old.

WDW was the top dog of investments from the 1970s until about 2008. And it has really shown how favored DL became, which is really more of DL getting things that were sometimes good, sometimes there, but WDW was stagnant compared to its own standards before (long before and little to do with political environments/perception of climate.)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The poster is right. It is an altering of the original artwork that was passed around WDI for Avatar at DAK.

WDW was the top dog of investments from the 1970s until about 2008. And it has really shown how favored DL became, which is really more of DL getting things that were sometimes good, sometimes there, but WDW was stagnant compared to its own standards before (long before and little to do with political environments/perception of climate.)
I would say in general, without getting into the whole DLR vs WDW debate, that the domestic resorts in general got less investment overall compared to the international resorts.

celluloid

I would say in general, without getting into the whole DLR vs WDW debate, that the domestic resorts in general got less investment overall compared to the international resorts.

I agree. There is no coincidence in timing of years posted to recent decade. Part of that is their struggle, part of that is their development and launching, and part of that is the fact that they are often part owned by other shareholders in large amounts besides just being owned by Disney.

truecoat

I understand that but because of the issues with Florida government and the fact people tend to come to DW regardless of what Disney does or not do it seems they have been getting short end of the stick more than not while Disneyland had been receiving the love.

Tron, GOTG, Ratatouille, MMRR, and Toy Story Land are all in the last 6 years.

truecoat

Most of the investment was fixing a park that was way underbuilt and needed a lot of work.

PiratesMansion

I think the case could be made that in the past several years, WDW received more meaningful additions than DLR did.

Flight of Passage, Tron, Cosmic Rewind, Slinky Dog Dash, Ratatouille, and others, coming in addition to new attractions shared with DLR-whether or not these attractions are the best possible things Disney could have built or fit each person's personal preference, they are nonetheless attractions that are sold as high profile, meaningful additions that conspicuously have no meaningful California counterparts.

WDW also got meaningful infrastructure work with the restructuring of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, the reconfiguring of the DHS parking entrance, the Skyliner, and reconfigured security entrances with Evolv scanners.

By comparison, there's been very little to crow about with the California-only additions or changes since Cars Land. One could argue that such expansion in Florida was needed to help bolster WDW's capacity issues and/or deal with outdated infrastructure, but DLR got by in the same decade primarily on attractions shared with WDW and frequent entertainment refreshes, while steadfastly clinging to the World's Worst Disney Parks Entry and Infrastructure Experience and thoughtlessly, constantly changing things because they could rather than because they should at DCA. With the entrance gate switchouts, DTD refreshes, and DLForward, it seems like change is finally coming for DLR in the near future, but I can absolutely buy someone looking at the past decade and coming to the conclusion that DLR, while better taken care of in many ways, got the short straw when it came to investments and changes over the past 5-10 years.

BasiltheBatLord

I think the case could be made that in the past several years, WDW received more meaningful additions than DLR did.

Flight of Passage, Tron, Cosmic Rewind, Slinky Dog Dash, Ratatouille, and others, coming in addition to new attractions shared with DLR-whether or not these attractions are the best possible things Disney could have built or fit each person's personal preference, they are nonetheless attractions that are sold as high profile, meaningful additions that conspicuously have no meaningful California counterparts.

WDW also got meaningful infrastructure work with the restructuring of Downtown Disney into Disney Springs, the reconfiguring of the DHS parking entrance, the Skyliner, and reconfigured security entrances with Evolv scanners.

By comparison, there's been very little to crow about with the California-only additions or changes since Cars Land. One could argue that such expansion in Florida was needed to help bolster WDW's capacity issues and/or deal with outdated infrastructure, but DLR got by in the same decade primarily on attractions shared with WDW and frequent entertainment refreshes, while steadfastly clinging to the World's Worst Disney Parks Entry and Infrastructure Experience and thoughtlessly, constantly changing things because they could rather than because they should at DCA. With the entrance gate switchouts, DTD refreshes, and DLForward, it seems like change is finally coming for DLR in the near future, but I can absolutely buy someone looking at the past decade and coming to the conclusion that DLR, while better taken care of in many ways, got the short straw when it came to investments and changes over the past 5-10 years.
One of the things I've learned from the theme park community is that everyone thinks their home resort is the one getting neglected and treated unfairly.

Folks on the WDW side of the forum have been complaining for years about "crumbling, abandoned WDW" despite getting billions worth of new attractions and investments over the past 10 years.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

I think it's great DLR's Avatar land will be unique. DLR's lack of space means it's always on the short stick for exclusive lands vs WDW. Plus it gives theme park fans a reason to travel to DLR.

Though I do wonder if this DLR Avatar land will be the same one the WDSP will be getting. According to rumors out of Paris Avatar there is not until 2030. So I believe that Avatar will be ready to go in Anaheim around 2029-2030.

celluloid

One of the things I've learned from the theme park community is that everyone thinks their home resort is the one getting neglected and treated unfairly.

Folks on the WDW side of the forum have been complaining for years about "crumbling, abandoned WDW" despite getting billions worth of new attractions and investments over the past 10 years.

For sure there is natural jealousy.

Yet, the parks still need more than ever and are rushing to announce anything right now.

Just because money was spent, does not make it well spent.

Neglect is not even debatable. We had boats on multiple attractions literally sinking with guests in them.

truecoat

For sure there is natural jealousy.

Yet, the parks still need more than ever and are rushing to announce anything right now.

Just because money was spent, does not make it well spent.

Neglect is not even debatable. We had boats on multiple attractions literally sinking with guests in them.

Both resorts did but it wasn't due to neglect just growing waistlines.

BrianLo

Indeed - all while droning on about how great Tokyo is, not realizing it went nearly 11 years without a really notable* addition. We're about to hear again how great Tokyo is at building things I'm sure next year.

*Depends on how you feeling about TSMM and Soaring.

celluloid

Both resorts did but it wasn't due to neglect just growing waistlines.

Small world had an issue with boats bottoming out. Not the same as sinking. I am hoping this was more of a joke to leadership blaiming the positives of raised costs and lower value of items.

Splash Mountain and Jungle Cruise incidents could be have been deadly.

PiratesMansion

Indeed - all while droning on about how great Tokyo is, not realizing it went nearly 11 years without a really notable* addition. We're about to hear again how great Tokyo is at building things I'm sure next year.

*Depends on how you feeling about TSMM and Soaring.
The last decade has been frustrating, but I maintain that OLC still does some things better as a baseline-certainly maintenance.

That said, I concede that your overall point is accurate. Not nearly enough noise was made of just how much entertainment declined over there during the last decade, even long before covid. It put a huge damper on the park experience, particularly at TDS, which went from being stacked with a lot of excellent, diverse entertainment options to lots of cute smile and wave at the character sorts of things. TDS has needed Fantasy Springs for 11 years in a way that many people don't appreciate, and it has been frustrating to watch that project take what felt like a decade to come to fruition.

britain

Well, they've announced this...

1712924948896.png

It's the catch-all of catch-alls! Just the thing for a second or third gate that used to be more about California/Moviemaking.

Is Disney Adventure World (Disneyland Resort) and Disney Adventure World (Walt Disney World) far behind?

mickEblu

Well, they've announced this...

View attachment 778845

It's the catch-all of catch-alls! Just the thing for a second or third gate that used to be more about California/Moviemaking.

Is Disney Adventure World (Disneyland Resort) and Disney Adventure World (Walt Disney World) far behind?

Yikes. Told you be careful what you wish for. Not only is it worse than Walt Disney Studios but it throws off the whole nomenclature of the parks and resorts around the world. You have Disney World that = 6 parks, dozens of hotels etc and now you have Disney Adventure World that’s one park at the Disneyland Paris Resort.

Yeah I’m cool with Disney California Adventure

Last edited:

britain

Yikes. Told you be careful what you wish for. Not only is it worse than Walt Disney Studios but it throws off all the whole nomenclature of the parks and resorts around the world. You have Disney World that = 6 parks, dozens of hotels etc and now you have Disney Adventure World that’s one park at the Disneyland Paris Resort.

I always used to be really ticked that DCA used “adventure” as its noun, when for the longest time adventure meant attraction. Now at least it’s back to being an adjective, but at the expense of World? And what does that make of Adventureland?

Whatever, none of this stuff matters to them. They’ve cut themselves off from true inspiration. They’re just trying to sell stuff.

mickEblu

I always used to be really ticked that DCA used “adventure” as its noun, when for the longest time adventure meant attraction.

Whatever, none of this stuff matters to them. They’re just trying to sell stuff.

Haha I vaguely recall feeling the same way. Even for attractions I think it should be used sparingly. Definitely shouldn’t have been included In Tiana’s attraction name. Especially considering that it sounds like anything but an adventure. Should have been Tiana’s Bayou Splash or something.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom