News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This and your previous post is showing me you still don't understand the difference.
No, I understand the difference. This and your previous posts shows you don't understand how companies actually work.

If Disney decides to rename a park for whatever reason they know its cost, whether monetarily or to the brand or identity of the Park. Its not a decision they are just going to do for fun. They will do it for a reason if that is what they choose to do. And is something they've done now many times at various Parks around the world including this one being discussed.

celluloid

No, I understand the difference. This and your previous posts shows you don't understand how companies actually work.

If Disney decides to rename a park for whatever reason they know its cost, whether monetarily or to the brand or identity of the Park. Its not a decision they are just going to do for fun. They will do it for a reason if that is what they choose to do. And is something they've done now many times at various Parks around the world including this one being discussed.
Who said they would do it for fun?
The park that has been full of to this day, of bad and lackluster business decisions!

This park was altered and reinvented badly more than EPCOT!

Maybe it would have just been better as WESTCOT after all.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who said they would do it for fun?
The park that has been full of to this day, of bad and lackluster business decisions!

This park was altered and reinvented badly more than EPCOT!

Maybe it would have just been better as WESTCOT after all.
Well now you're trying to change the conversation. If Disney ever changes the name of DCA it'll be because they no longer want to tie it to the California theme they opened it with in 2001. And given the direction of the Park over the last decade I would welcome a name change, which is where the whole conversation started. And it wouldn't be the first time a Disney Park changed its name, even without changing its identity. Magic Kingdom has had slight name modifications multiple times over the years without losing its identity. So don't see why that can't be the same here.

As for WestCot, that would have been interesting overall. But that is a completely different discussion not related to the conversation at hand.

celluloid

Well now you're trying to change the conversation. If Disney ever changes the name of DCA it'll be because they no longer want to tie it to the California theme they opened it with in 2001. And given the direction of the Park over the last decade I would welcome a name change, which is where the whole conversation started. And it wouldn't be the first time a Disney Park changed its name, even without changing its identity. Magic Kingdom has had slight name modifications multiple times over the years without losing its identity. So don't see why that can't be the same here.

As for WestCot, that would have been interesting overall. But that is a completely different discussion not related to the conversation at hand.

A couple things in your post are debatable. But another topic altogether. Rebranding is more than just a name change. Some would argue that The/ Magic Kingdom Park has lost a lot of its identity, but that is nothing to do with dropping the word The or adding the word Park.

Yes. We are aware companies change their names. We are aware Disney has done this.

I was not changing the subject, they just are not going to do it anytime soon and poking fun at how DCA still struggles. So just trying to keep the hopes of the 60 billion in check. Not impossible, but they have zero interest in that right now.

Magic Kingdom's annoying name change came most recently with a lot of cost and expense;-) I was there when everything in the DRC systems changed all the way down to having to create retraining material for sales agents so "Park" could also be added at the end of all four of WDW's.

You are not saying anything unknown. I never said it was impossible. I am saying don't count those chickens anytime soon.

And hope they actually care about this park enough to fix it(Avatar could be a nice start if the concept delivers)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
A couple things in your post are debatable. But another topic altogether. Rebranding is more than just a name change. Many would argue that The/ Magic Kingdom PArk has lost a lot of its identity, but that is nothing to do with dropping the word The or adding the word Park.

Yes. We are aware companies change their names. We are aware Disney has done this.

I was not changing the subject, they just are not going to do it anytime soon and poking fun at how DCA still struggles. So just trying to keep the hopes of the 60 billion in check. Not impossible, but they have zero interest in that right now.

Magic Kingdom's annoying name change came most recently with a lot of cost and expense;-) I was there when everything in the DRC systems changed all the way down to having to create retraining material for sales agents so "Park" could also be added at the end of all four of WDW's.

You are not saying anything unknown. I never said it was impossible. I am saying don't count those chickens anytime soon.

And hope they actually care about this park enough to fix it(Avatar could be a nice start if the concept delivers)
I've been part of many rebranding of products over the years, more products and years than I'd like to admit. So I'm well aware of the internal struggles and even annoyances changes like a product name changes brings. I've even known people to call a product by a name that was like 3 or 4 name changes ago, so yeah its a struggle. And lets face it a Park name change in this context is just a product name change. Anyways the point being is this isn't something that is unknown to a company like Disney. If they do it it'll be for a reason as has been discussed here. And any discussion here is just that, a discussion. I think what most of us are saying is that a name change is likely warranted at this point as they continue to move away from the "California" themed focus of the Park. I don't think anyone here actually expects Disney to announce next week, next month, or even next year, a name change coming to DCA.

mickEblu

I don’t think a DCA name change is necessary nor do I think Disney has any interest in changing the parks name. It’s a Disney park in California where you have adventures. The name still works even if it wasn’t the original intention. And judging by their ability to name land and attractions we shouldn’t want that to happen.

celluloid

I don’t think a DCA name change is necessary nor do I think Disney has any interest in changing the parks name. It’s a Disney park in California where you have adventures. The name still works even if it wasn’t the original intention. And judging by their ability to name land and attractions we shouldn’t want that to happen.

This is a great point. All the more reason to keep it.

Anyone who understands branding knows as much as they claim, would see that they have worked hard for familiarity with Adventures by Disney Brand, and dropping California would lesson distinction and confuse that.

The park still needs more work to make it interesting before change in name. Maybe after that, a decade plus they could try, but its pretty solidified with the pattern now.

The park may hardly say California anymore, but it is where it is geographically located, and even if the park becomes more popular that has helped the general public who still confuse or use Disneyland/Disney world interchangeably.

The park hardly says Califonia in a couple lands of its theming, but it also barely says adventure. And that needs to be fixed first.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This is a great point. All the more reason to keep it.

Anyone who understands branding knows as much as they claim, would see that they have worked hard for familiarity with Adventures by Disney Brand, and dropping California would lesson distinction and confuse that.

The park still needs more work to make it interesting before change in name. Maybe after that, a decade plus they could try, but its pretty solidified with the pattern now.

The park may hardly say California anymore, but it is where it is geographically located, and even if the park becomes more popular that has helped the general public who still confuse or use Disneyland/Disney world interchangeably.

The park hardly says Califonia in a couple lands of its theming, but it also barely says adventure. And that needs to be fixed first.
That assumes any name change if it ever happens keeps the "Adventure" in the Park name. For example they can always change it to something simple like Disney California Park or some other variation there of if they wanted to keep California in the name for location purposes and not have some confusion with Adventures by Disney.

Also they seemed not to care about any confusion when naming it Adventures by Disney in the first place, as it started after DCA was already running for 4 years. So yeah I don't think Disney really cares or is worried about brand confusion between the two products with "Adventure" in their names. If they did they would have changed DCAs name a long time ago and drop the "Adventure" from the name.

celluloid

That assumes any name change if it ever happens keeps the "Adventure" in the Park name. For example they can always change it to something simple like Disney California Park or some other variation there of if they wanted to keep California in the name for location purposes and not have some confusion with Adventures by Disney.

Also they seemed not to care about any confusion when naming it Adventures by Disney in the first place, as it started after DCA was already running for 4 years. So yeah I don't think Disney really cares or is worried about brand confusion between the two products with "Adventure" in their names. If they did they would have changed DCAs name a long time ago and drop the "Adventure" from the name.

That's even worse. A drastic name change would do more damage and be incongruent.

You want to differentiate with complimenting. While not confusing. That is why DCA is good as it is for their needs.

They want an action verb in the name at this point. Adventure would not be going anywhere.

Disney Adventure California is the closest thing you are going to get.

But all this to say.

Don't worry about it, not happening anytime soon.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
That's even worse. A drastic name change would do more damage and be incongruent.

You want to differentiate with complimenting. While not confusing. That is why DCA is good as it is for their needs.

They want an action verb in the name at this point. Adventure would not be going anywhere.

Disney Adventure California is the closest thing you are going to get.

But all this to say.

Don't worry about it, not happening anytime soon.
Yes we know you want to keep pointing out its not happen anytime soon if ever. This is all just discussion, nothing more. We have no impact here, no one is really worried about it.

My point is that if they were worried about confusion between Adventures by Disney and DCA they would have dropped the "Adventure" from the Park name a long time ago. If they ever do change the name I don't think they'd drop the "Adventure" in the name either. But I wouldn't think they would just call it Disney Adventure Park. Which is why I was saying something like Disney Cinematic Adventure. Or it could be any number of name changes that could still include "Adventure" in the name.

With all that said I've long said that the "California" in the name just means location at this point rather than an explicit Park theme. Still doesn't mean I wouldn't like a name change just so its more clear.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Holy flashback to bad name change to MGM speculation Batman.
Lol, shows you don't actually read all the posts in the thread Robin.

Anyways, that was just a quick 30 second name I thought up. Given a few more seconds I'm sure better names could be thought up. Heck you could just go something silly like Disney Movie Adventure. Either way I'm fine with the current DCA name as long as everyone just accepts its no longer themed to just "California" and that just means location.

Last edited:

csmat99

I see from the pic florida gets the worst version of Avatar and Cali get the original intended version shocker. I'm sure if florida finally gets cars land they will half the rock work and cut radiator springs down to indoor ride with two seconds outside.

truecoat

I see from the pic florida gets the worst version of Avatar and Cali get the original intended version shocker. I'm sure if florida finally gets cars land they will half the rock work and cut radiator springs down to indoor ride with two seconds outside.

How is that the original? I never saw any artwork resembling what's been presented for Disneyland when they announced AK's Pandora.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
the original plan for the water ride was supposed to go outside and have thrill element. They cut the budget. There was also supposed to be a third ride which was cut.
Budgets get cut all the time at all Disney Parks, its not unique to just WDW. That doesn't mean what was presented in the concept art for Avatar in DLR is automatically some unused or cut concept for Pandora in AK just because it has an outdoor section for the boats.

csmat99

Budgets get cut all the time at all Disney Parks, its not unique to just WDW. That doesn't mean what was presented in the concept art for Avatar in DLR is automatically some unused or cut concept for Pandora in AK just because it has an outdoor section for the boats.
I understand that but because of the issues with Florida government and the fact people tend to come to DW regardless of what Disney does or not do it seems they have been getting short end of the stick more than not while Disneyland had been receiving the love.

mickEblu

Well the jury is still out on if it will be better. Plus the lands will be opening up at a minimum of 11 years apart. Nothing to really get upset about if DLR’s ends up slightly better. And that’s still a big IF.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I understand that but because of the issues with Florida government and the fact people tend to come to DW regardless of what Disney does or not do it seems they have been getting short end of the stick more than not while Disneyland had been receiving the love.
And there were many years DLR got no love while WDW got stuff. Heck DL proper went almost 25 years without a brand new attraction. DCA was created on a shoestring budget and only received updates because of falling demand.

This idea that WDW always gets the short end of the stick in terms of investment is just not reality. The old joke on the forums was that every D23 we'd see how much more WDW got compared to DLR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom