News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

mickEblu

I just want something to replace the animation building. It’s a pale shadow of what it used to be.

As much as I love that lobby I’d be ok with it. Theres enough space there for a decent size dark ride. I think Animation Lobby - The ride would work nice. I’ve said it before but the only time you get to hear all these classic songs is after you’ve camped out for hours or are in a huge crowd of people. I want to experience the great Disney songs and scenes from the comfort of my own ride vehicle. There’s certain IP like Cinderella or Lady and the Tramp that will never get an attraction. It would be great to see some of classic scenes brought to life. Not enough room in the Animation building for this but it could be used for a queue with a bridge to the Hyperion/ show building for the ride.

Or they could take inspiration from the new short they did for Disney 100 and have the ride at the Animation Building in Burbank or the old Hyperion. Kind of similar to MMRR I know but the execution there leaves a bit to be desired.

With all of this said I don’t see them investing in Hollywoodland or the studio concept at DCA. Other then perhaps keeping the. Facades alive for practical purposes. Hollywoodland sounds like it’s on borrowed time. Might be a better concept for DHS. Anyway, we all know if anything happens to that space it ll end up being a Marvel attraction of some sort.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

As much as I love that lobby I’d be ok with it. Theres enough space there for a decent size dark ride. I think Animation Lobby - The ride would work nice. I’ve said it before but the only time you get to hear all these classic songs is after you’ve camped out for hours or are in a huge crowd of people. I want to experience the great Disney songs and scenes from the comfort of my own ride vehicle. There’s certain IP like Cinderella or Lady and the Tramp that will never get an attraction. It would be great to see some of classic scenes brought to life. Not enough room in the Animation building for this but it could be used for a queue with a bridge to the Hyperion/ show building for the ride.

Or they could take inspiration from the new short they did for Disney 100 and have the ride at the Animation Building in Burbank or the old Hyperion. Kind of similar to MMRR I know but the execution there leaves a bit to be desired.

With all of this said I don’t see them investing in Hollywoodland or the studio concept at DCA. Other then perhaps keeping the. Facades alive for practical purposes. Hollywoodland sounds like it’s on borrowed time. Might be a better concept for DHS. Anyway, we all know if anything happens to that space it ll end up being a Marvel attraction of some sort.
I think there was also speculation that if the Hyperion does not go for Avatar if it takes over Hollywoodland, that could also be a possible spot for a 4th Marvel attraction.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
They could always do a Grand Avenue style tunnel like they have for Galaxy's Edge at Hollywood Studios
If Avatar is going in that spot, that would probably be the best option.

Seems to me that would be a waste of usable space in that area to do a tunnel. Unless they somehow incorporate shops or something into the tunnel to make it a usable space, now that is an idea.

britain

Seems to me that would be a waste of usable space in that area to do a tunnel. Unless they somehow incorporate shops or something into the tunnel to make it a usable space, now that is an idea.

Agreed, other than Galaxy’s Edge and Carsland, DL rarely takes up space with big portals. They transition really quickly (Holly Jolly Bakery to Tiki room) or subtly (Bengal BBQ to River Belle).

mickEblu

Agreed, other than Galaxy’s Edge and Carsland, DL rarely takes up space with big portals. They transition really quickly (Holly Jolly Bakery to Tiki room) or subtly (Bengal BBQ to River Belle).

How are we defining portal? I consider both of the main entrances to Cars Land as portals. That back path from Avengers Campus not so much. For me portal implies going under or through something with an immediate change in scenery.

At Disneyland I think the Adventurleland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland (even though it’s sloppy with astro Orbitor), Fantasyland, Toontown and GE entrances are portals.

DCA’s portals aren’t as obvious as the park was originally themed to only California so it’s really the rethemed lands and additions that come across as portals. Cars Land, Avengers Campus and to a lesser extent- San Fransokyo. Essentially though I’d say every main entrance to a land is functioning as a portal. Some are just less obvious like Hollywoodland when it’s not such an abrupt/ distinct change in scenery. Even Grizzly Peaks transition is rather subtle as you are already seeing the rock work from the hub and there is nothing about that topography (at least from that angle) that seems foreign to a place like Burbank (California) where we have mountains, boulders and trees and can be found all across the state.

Hollywood Blvd to a Pandora beach/ jungle could feel very much like the Disneyland hub to Adventureland then maybe you turn a corner for a grand reveal of what we saw in the concept art.

Last edited:

britain

How are we defining portal? I consider both of the main entrances to Cars Land as portals. That back path from Avengers Campus not so much. For me portal implies going under or through something with an immediate change in scenery.

At Disneyland I think the Adventurleland, Frontierland, Tomorrowland (even though it’s sloppy with astro Orbitor), Fantasyland, Toontown and GE entrances are portals.

DCA wasn’t designed with clearly defined portals so it’s really the rethemed lands and additions that come across as portals. Cars Land, Avengers Campus and San Fransokyo. Essentially though I’d say every main entrance to a land is functioning as a portal. Some are just less obvious like Hollywoodland land when it’s not such an abrupt/ distinct change in scenery. Even Grizzly Peaks transition is rather subtle as you are already seeing the rock work from the hub and there is nothing about that topography (at least from that angle) that seems foreign to a place like Burbank (California) where we have mountains, boulders and trees and can be found all across the state.

Hollywood Blvd to a Pandora beach/ jungle could feel very much like the Disneyland hub to Adventureland then maybe you turn a corner for a grand reveal of what we saw in the concept art.

Yes, of course we could call any threshold a “portal.” I was reserving the term for a very thick archway or tunnel that really says “You are leaving one place, and when you get to the other side of this tunnel, you will be in another place.”

The theme of the portal itself could be tied to the place you are going to (Main Street entrance tunnels, the Castle), or the place you are leaving (Frontierland entrances to GE).

But most of the other transitions across the DL resort are not handled via what I would call a portal. There may be signage on an arch, but it’s not a tunnel through time and space. (I don’t call AL, FL, or TL entrances portals. They are just entrances.)

mickEblu

Yes, of course we could call any threshold a “portal.” I was reserving the term for a very thick archway or tunnel that really says “You are leaving one place, and when you get to the other side of this tunnel, you will be in another place.”

The theme of the portal itself could be tied to the place you are going to (Main Street entrance tunnels, the Castle), or the place you are leaving (Frontierland entrances to GE).

But most of the other transitions across the DL resort are not handled via what I would call a portal. There may be signage on an arch, but it’s not a tunnel through time and space. (I don’t call AL, FL, or TL entrances portals. They are just entrances.)

I agree that lands where you are going through a tunnel or under a bridge or arch fit more neatly under the definition of a portal but I also believe that the other lands I mentioned are functioning like portals as you walk under an arch where there is a pretty abrupt and distinct change in scenery. They’re the original theme park portal. Haha.

britain

In the context of the Pandora discussion, I don’t think an Adventureland-style arch would be enough of a portal to solve people’s problems. I think the suggestion really was to do a DHS style Grand Avenue tunnel from Hollywood to Pandora.

I personally don’t mind if they simply have a sign on an arch, because that is typical at Disneyland.

mickEblu

In the context of the Pandora discussion, I don’t think an Adventureland-style arch would be enough of a portal to solve people’s problems. I think the suggestion really was to do a DHS style Grand Avenue tunnel from Hollywood to Pandora.

I personally don’t mind if they simply have a sign on an arch, because that is typical at Disneyland.

I don’t see how it’s much different from walking off the main path into Avengers Campus or Cars Land? Well, I guess what makes it different is that you are smack dab in the middle of land. I don’t think that necessitates a tunnel per se. Maybe just more of a meandering path while the theming is ramped up? But then why not just put up a tunnel in that case? I don’t know. I guess it depends on what they re going for and if they plan on leaving those Hollywood Blvd facades up. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

Last edited:

britain

I don’t see how it’s much different from walking off the main path into Avengers Campus or Cars Land? Well, I guess what makes it different is that you are smack dab in the middle of land. I don’t think that necessitates a tunnel per se. Maybe just more of a meandering path while the theming is ramped up? But then why not just put up a tunnel in that case? I don’t know. I guess it depends on what they re going for and if they plan on leaving those Hollywood Blvd facades up. It’ll be interesting to see what they do.

It will probably depend on how badly they DON’T want guests inside Pandora to see any hint of Hollywood. Which is probably very badly.

mickEblu

It will probably depend on how badly they DON’T want guests inside Pandora to see any hint of Hollywood. Which is probably very badly.

Maybe. It’s not Disneyland. Do they care as much? Take Mission BO for example. Granted, they didn’t have much of a choice when the mandate for a Marvel attraction came down. But I guess they didn’t have to make it such of an eyesore. I get what Rohde was going for though. He was going bold, doubling down instead of trying to hide what obviously doesn’t fit.

Basketbuddy101

Maybe. It’s not Disneyland. Do they care as much? Take Mission BO for example. Granted, they didn’t have much of a choice when the mandate for a Marvel attraction came down. But I guess they didn’t have to make it such of an eyesore. I get what Rohde was going for though. He was going bold, doubling down instead of trying to hide what obviously doesn’t fit.
I think it wins the award for ugliest exterior for an attraction by a country mile.

britain

It’s almost like Rhode said, “You guys think the Maliboomer was the tacky drop ride? I’ll show you what TACKY looks like! BAMM!”

1712682987033.gif

(The “PRESENTATION!” Megamind gif could have worked here too.)

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member

DCA’s portals aren’t as obvious as the park was originally themed to only California so it’s really the rethemed lands and additions that come across as portals. Cars Land, Avengers Campus and to a lesser extent- San Fransokyo. Essentially though I’d say every main entrance to a land is functioning as a portal. Some are just less obvious like Hollywoodland when it’s not such an abrupt/ distinct change in scenery. Even Grizzly Peaks transition is rather subtle as you are already seeing the rock work from the hub and there is nothing about that topography (at least from that angle) that seems foreign to a place like Burbank (California) where we have mountains, boulders and trees and can be found all across the state.

I just don't think they'll do a long meandering path or huge tunnel for Avatar in HWL like they did for GE. Space in that area is already at a premium and to waste it on a long path or a huge tunnel just seems like something they wouldn't do. Which is the only thing that gives me pause about this Avatar in HWL rumor. If they were going to do that it would be better to do it in the Simba lot section of DLForward so they could do the long path or huge tunnel transition that some here thinks this needs.

Otherwise it could just be a threshold portal like the entrances of Adventureland or Frontierland from the DL Hub with BVS acting as the Hub. Which is why I think HW Blvd is likely not staying, at least not all of it.

mickEblu

I just don't think they'll do a long meandering path or huge tunnel for Avatar in HWL like they did for GE. Space in that area is already at a premium and to waste it on a long path or a huge tunnel just seems like something they wouldn't do. Which is the only thing that gives me pause about this Avatar in HWL rumor. If they were going to do that it would be better to do it in the Simba lot section of DLForward so they could do the long path or huge tunnel transition that some here thinks this needs.

Otherwise it could just be a threshold portal like the entrances of Adventureland or Frontierland from the DL Hub with BVS acting as the Hub. Which is why I think HW Blvd is likely not staying, at least not all of it.

Meandering was probably the wrong word. I was picturing something like the Frontierland/ Fantasyland paths into the GE tunnels. But yeah I believe the rumor was Smoozies is gone so I’d imagine the facades from Smoozies to the end of the street are gone (on that side) which I’m ok with. I would just like the appearance of a street to remain from the hub with the trolley still going up and down.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom