News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

MagicWDI

The "Walt's original theme park"quote seems to be me to be referring to the resort area generally, not Disneyland Park.

My guess is that this is going to go in the DL Forward plot. But what do I know.
I'm the dumb butt still thinking Stitch Parking lot for Avatar. They can go shovels ready by Oct 1st with the Eastern Gateway project as well. But, y'know, Disney's track record and all keeps reminding me not to hold my breath. They'll have to really change course in order to get this big of a project rolling. But at the very least all signs point to this just waiting to be green lit after the rezoning.

WoundedDreamer

While I'm appreciative of their decision to create a different attraction and change the focus of the land, on the other hand I'm a little nervous too. One of the reasons Pandora the World of Avatar has been so successful, is the decision to completely divorce the land from wars in the films. There are no guns shooting. There are no gratuitous cameos by actors from the films. And animals and nature take center stage.

Truthfully, the success of Avatar has never singularly, or maybe even primarily, been about the plot or characters. It's about the incredibly immersive world that James Cameron created. At Rohde's insistence, the characters and plot points were largely relegated to the side. Instead, the immersive worlds James Cameron created would be center stage.

Pandora is the best thing about Avatar.

What makes me a little concerned about this, is the possibility that Rohde's unique perspective might be absent in this project. It would be easy to make this version of Pandora one that is set during the time of the film. Forced/contrived appearances from the cast and a battle with the RDA are now on the table. If this is going to be another Rise of the Resistance only set on Pandora, count me out. That completely misses the appeal of the first land.

I'm hoping that James Cameron has caught the vision of Rohde while working with him. But I'm a little aphrenrsive. That's not to say I'm fatalistic. The concept art looks great. I'm just hoping that the ride delivers an experience of a similar caliber to Flight of Passage.

One thing I wonder... Do we think that the Battle for the Sunken Treasure ride system might be in play? Sorry if this has been touched on, but it looks like it would fit in this application.

WoundedDreamer

Scott Trowbridge comments on the possible Avatar experience: "At today’s Disney shareholder meeting, Bob Iger shared “Our Imagineers have been hard at work dreaming up what guests might expect” with a possible Disneyland Avatar experience. Yes…… we are……. Excited to share more in the future."

I missed this... Not Scott Trowbridge. Anyone but Scott Trowbridge.

Okay, I might be fatalistic now.

celluloid

Thank god no other land in DLR has open sky to see planes.

I guess Jim knows that the fly zone restrictions are being lifted??

I appreciate Jim for some of his talents in the past. (I want to be respectful) but the guy's online persona is certainly kooky. He was for some reason cynical on Universal's theme park mine craft theme game for some reason. He was angry fans were excited about it vs actually visiting theme parks. As if the two joys can't go-exist.

Last edited:

britain

So apparently there are rumors and hints that Walt Disney Studios Paris will get a new name along with its lake expansion.

Hmm… I wonder…

With Pandora possibly coming to DCA, is this the time to maybe rechristen both of the second parks in California and France with new analogous names?

Not that I can think of one that isn’t lame.

truecoat

Having trouble visualizing potential new space to fit this attraction(s) if it’s HWLand and the bus area. The show buildings would need to take up quite a large space , and the lagoon and water features , and you have the monorail area to contend with and then you look at the concept art and ask whether they are taking serious creative liberties with the scale in the blue sky drawing . Does it fit as depicted ?

I used rough measuring but here's Avatar to DCA comparison. I know they won't be the same but It gives you a good idea what space is available.

Ava wha.jpg

Cali unchained.jpg

truecoat

I'm the dumb butt still thinking Stitch Parking lot for Avatar. They can go shovels ready by Oct 1st with the Eastern Gateway project as well. But, y'know, Disney's track record and all keeps reminding me not to hold my breath. They'll have to really change course in order to get this big of a project rolling. But at the very least all signs point to this just waiting to be green lit after the rezoning.

I'm hoping for this scenario. I know DCA needs more but save Hollywood for something that fits better. Avatar will be separate from the rest of the parks like Star Wars is now.

waltography

I'm hoping for this scenario. I know DCA needs more but save Hollywood for something that fits better. Avatar will be separate from the rest of the parks like Star Wars is now.
I'm a big proponent of just redoing the land as a proper Hollywood and removing the backlot, like they'd initially wanted to do after DCA 2.0. I will heavily mourn the loss of the Hyperion if/when it goes.

CaptinEO

I'm a big proponent of just redoing the land as a proper Hollywood and removing the backlot, like they'd initially wanted to do after DCA 2.0. I will heavily mourn the loss of the Hyperion if/when it goes.
IMO we already have Hollywood Studios and Disney Studios Paris for Hollywood themes. Something new please. Maybe in the mid 90s it was cool but I'm over it.

The real Hollywood is a half hour away anyways.

britain

IMO we already have Hollywood Studios and Disney Studios Paris for Hollywood themes. Something new please. Maybe in the mid 90s it was cool but I'm over it.

It was cool when The Great Movie Ride was scheduled to be a part of the Hollywoodland to be added in between Tomorrowland and Main Street as part of the 90’s Disney Decade, (complete with the Disneyland Railroad traveling through the “Westerns” part of the show building!) but alas, it never came to be.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
So apparently there are rumors and hints that Walt Disney Studios Paris will get a new name along with its lake expansion.

Hmm… I wonder…

With Pandora possibly coming to DCA, is this the time to maybe rechristen both of the second parks in California and France with new analogous names?

Not that I can think of one that isn’t lame.
I hope so as it allows them opening it up to be beyond a "studio" park would be beneficial in my opinion. I've never liked the whole "see a movie studio in a theme park" theme.

MistaDee

Hollywoodland, at its best, was a great concept for DCA - a trip back in time to the golden age of Hollywood, connected to BVS. The Hollywood Studios parks don't really attempt to create a realistic golden age hollywood, they're just a mish mash of IP theme under the "studios" umbrella idea.

As for proximity to the real thing....

1. if you can get from Anaheim to Hollywood in 30m you need to be locked up on traffic charges
2. the trip back in time element is what really makes the land special/differentiated from its IRL counterpart

Professortango1

Hollywoodland, at its best, was a great concept for DCA - a trip back in time to the golden age of Hollywood, connected to BVS. The Hollywood Studios parks don't really attempt to create a realistic golden age hollywood, they're just a mish mash of IP theme under the "studios" umbrella idea.

As for proximity to the real thing....

1. if you can get from Anaheim to Hollywood in 30m you need to be locked up on traffic charges
2. the trip back in time element is what really makes the land special/differentiated from its IRL counterpart
Exactly. Its the Hollywoodland that never was. That's the appeal. I could walk down a small-town Main street past streets lined with shops all around Anaheim, but nobody thinks Main Street USA is a bad concept. It is the fantasy aspect that makes it charming.

WoundedDreamer

Exactly. Its the Hollywoodland that never was. That's the appeal. I could walk down a small-town Main street past streets lined with shops all around Anaheim, but nobody thinks Main Street USA is a bad concept. It is the fantasy aspect that makes it charming.
Yeah, perhaps an even better comparison is Buena Vista Street. It could easily be argued that Buena Vista Street is redundant because Los Angeles is a short drive away. But that would ignore the unique charm of Buena Vista Street. It takes you to an idealized version of LA from a different time and place.

It is undeniable that Hollywood Land needed attention to bring it to the same level of detail as Hollywood Boulevard and Sunset Boulevard at Disney's Hollywood Studios. Had they gone through with those improvements, that section of the park would be one uninterrupted stretch of beautiful architecture. The Red Car Trolly would have journeyed through a loving and idealized version of Los Angeles. It would have terminated with Tower of Terror on one side as an anchor.

I remain glad I was able to visit the park before Pixar Pier, Mission Breakout, and San Fransokyo were added.

My ideal Disney California Adventure would include everything in the 2016 park (which I regard as peak DCA minus the WoC Neil Patrick Harris edition [nothing against the man, it was just too much]). Add in a refurbished Hollywood Land that rivals Sunset Boulevard at DHS. Disney could use the theater facades to install E Tickets to their big franchises (Avengers Coaster for example) without making an entire land. Then a Bugs Land could have been demolished and replaced with a loving celebration of California's hispanic culture. It could have included something like a Coco attraction. Maybe something akin to Sinbad at TDS, only with the characters Coco. That would let you soak up the music and environments in a relaxed way. DCA could use a good high-capacity boat ride.

While many people rightfully complain about the Epcot renovation, no park in the last decade has degraded more precipitously than Disney California Adventure. Avatar will be a beautiful addition to the park. But it won't fit into the park at all. In fact, the park itself has gone from a largely cohesive and beautiful experience, to one of the most jarringly disjointed. It's sad, because I remember the triumphant renovation of Condor Flats into Grizzly Peak Airfield. It felt like everything was going in the right direction. But then things started to fall apart.

It's all water under the bridge though. I hope they wow us with this new Avatar land!

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom