News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland

mickEblu

Epcot declined over 20 years. DCA declined over 5, so yeah, it’s a more dramatic fall. And Epcot’s bones have always been good. DCA’s have always been compromised and awkward.

True but I've been saying I think DCA is a boat ride, suspended Coco ride and indoor coaster away from feeling like a legitimate full day park. Sounds like we may be getting 2 of the 3. Yensid is now teasing a Coco ride for DCA on the Encanto/ Indy DAK thread.

I specifically say indoor coaster because I think DCA needs more immersive themed indoor experiences. You can only take it so far outdoors. Besides, as much as I want to see a Hagrids style coaster at DLR, RSR kind of has the outdoor sprawling thrill ride covered for DCA. Anyway, I suppose whatever they have planned for the Avengers ride can substitute for the indoor coaster. Or you know, they could just give us an Avengers themed Cosmic Rewind.

Last edited:

NobodyElse

Im confused
Sorry. It was a reference to it normally taking longer than a half hour to get to Hollywood.

1712365211971.png

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Was at DCA yesterday. I don’t see how they could get rid of Hollywood Blvd for Avatar. They are a natural extension of the Hub and Carthay. If it goes away I think it’s on name only or perhaps a light Marvel retheme. The facades I think need to stick around probably as an extension of BVS.
Just a random thought, but not really hard to have a transition from BVS to Avatar if they wanted to. Just have the back half of HW Blvd, just past Award Wieners, transition to RDA Corp (company from Avatar 1 which can be set in CA if needed) theming as it leads into HWL where it full on turns to the Pandora water area. That might mean we lose Animation Academy and that building, but I kinda think that has been on the chopping block for years anyways.

Professortango1

Just a random thought, but not really hard to have a transition from BVS to Avatar if they wanted to. Just have the back half of HW Blvd, just past Award Wieners, transition to RDA Corp (company from Avatar 1 which can be set in CA if needed) theming as it leads into HWL where it full on turns to the Pandora water area. That might mean we lose Animation Academy and that building, but I kinda think that has been on the chopping block for years anyways.
So a city street in Hollywood just leads up to an alien landscape. Not sure that works.

J4546

I dont know how they will transition things but Im looking forward to finding out. I still think having 2 avatar based lands in the us is too many, Keep things like Pandora and CarsLand exclusive to their respective coasts, build it in DSP which desperately needs something instead imo. BUT all that being said, looks beautiful, and a massive capacity Shanghai PotC based boat ride is exactly what CA (and all other parks really) needs. I honestly think it would be better off getting built as the disneyland forward expansion west of CA though instead of in HollywoodLand. Id like to see HollywoodLand get the fantasyland treatment with like 3-4 dark rides. Maybe 1 is e-ticket, the other are c and d.

britain

I think losing the entire Hollywoodland area for Pandora and yet KEEP the Red Car Trolly is just the magical-mix-n-match thing DCA could use. You find things like this in Disneyland all the time. “A railroad station in Tomorrowland!?”

(Oh man, have the trolley actually roll across a body of water, and you can unofficially have a bit of Spirited Away in a Disney park!)

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think losing the entire Hollywoodland area for Pandora and yet KEEP the Red Car Trolly is just the magical-mix-n-match thing DCA could use. You find things like this in Disneyland all the time. “A railroad station in Tomorrowland!?”

(Oh man, have the trolley actually roll across a body of water, and you can unofficially have a bit of Spirited Away in a Disney park!)
Exactly, there really doesn't have to be some mental gymnastics to it "fitting", its a theme park just create whatever is needed to transition from one to the other.

MistaDee

Call the threshold of the land a “portal”.

Making the transition work will be tricky no matter how they slice it. To me it seems there's a few ways to try and tell the "story:"

- the RDA opens a "base" that's actually in DCA in the same post-modern, meta-textual way that Avenger's Campus or Cosmic Rewind take place at the theme park itself in the story, that boosts us off to Pandora

- we step "into the movies" and transition from Hollywood into Pandora that way

- "magic portal" no explanation, just a transition through a ring or bridge like they're doing at Epic Universe or the entrance to Adventureland from the hub

I dont know how they will transition things but Im looking forward to finding out. I still think having 2 avatar based lands in the us is too many, Keep things like Pandora and CarsLand exclusive to their respective coasts, build it in DSP which desperately needs something instead imo. BUT all that being said, looks beautiful, and a massive capacity Shanghai PotC based boat ride is exactly what CA (and all other parks really) needs. I honestly think it would be better off getting built as the disneyland forward expansion west of CA though instead of in HollywoodLand. Id like to see HollywoodLand get the fantasyland treatment with like 3-4 dark rides. Maybe 1 is e-ticket, the other are c and d.

Definitely agree with this - on one hand I'm happy DCA will get an immersive new land with big attractions, on the other hand I don't really think it's a great fit. I am glad it will be differentiated from the other Pandora at least, that counts for a lot.

Wow I really love the way you're thinking about this - the spirited away vibes could be immaculate

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Making the transition work will be tricky no matter how they slice it. To me it seems there's two ways to try and tell the "story" either:

- the RDA opens a "base" that's actually in DCA in the same post-modern, meta-textual way that Avenger's Campus or Cosmic Rewind take place at the theme park itself in the story

-
It really doesn't have to be "tricky". The transition from land to land in Disneyland proper or any other castle parks isn't some "tricky" thing. They just seamlessly transition each land from one to another through changes in the buildings and landscape, same can be done here.

And if you really must somehow make it fit the "California theme" (which I am doubting WDI is going to do at this point) yeah you can just say that RDA has a base with a portal to the Pandora water area in CA, doesn't even have to be meta as if they plopped in into DCA. Really it doesn't have to be "tricky" or complex.

mickEblu

The rumor I was addressing stated “Hollywoodland was going away.” No idea if that’s true or if they just mean the backlot or if Hollywood Blvd just gets rethemed or absorbed into BVS. I could see a scenario where they just stick a portal to Pandora where the entrance to the backlot is. That’s probably more likely. Not sure what incentive they have to do otherwise. They just plopped the Collectors Fortress where it is. All the other lands at DCA are basically portals.

Other alternatives would depend on what they re willing/ planning to do with the Hyperion, Animation Building and Disney Junior. We’re all used to straight paths leading from the hub to the rest of the DCA so it’s hard to imagine it any other way. But depending on what they decide to with these areas I’m wondering if it has to stay that way. Not sure if it would be worth knocking down the Animation building and Disney Junior or what important backstage stuff is back there but I wonder if they could open it up. Then again opening it up for more space doesn’t really make a lot of sense. They would still need to put up show buildings for attractions.

My bet is on Hollywood Blvd being absorbed by BVS with a portal entrance to Avatar Land. The facades on Hollywood Blvd staying Hollywood themed with perhaps eventually a Marvel attraction going in the Animation building one day with an entrance on the AC side. I think repurposing Hollywood Blvd creates more problems than it solves. I don’t even think a portal entrance is an issue anyway as it’s what they do throughout the rest of the park.

mickEblu

The train is really tucked back there in TL though and not highlighted at all. It was more of a practical choice to have the train station there as it circles the entire park. This would be more like if the Horse Drawn Street Cars hung a right at the hub and went through Tomorrowland. I don’t think anyone would like that. Haha. I think it could work though if it was kind of semi- hidden in the rock work / mountains along the lands edge. Going through the center of the land not so much IMO.

Last edited:

Disney Irish

Premium Member
The rumor I was addressing stated “Hollywoodland was going away.” No idea if that’s true or if they just mean the backlot or if Hollywood Blvd just gets rethemed or absorbed into BVS. I could see a scenario where they just stick a portal to Pandora where the entrance to the backlot is. That’s probably more likely. Not sure what incentive they have to do otherwise. They just plopped the Collectors Fortress where it is. All the other lands at DCA are basically portals.

Other alternatives would depend on what they re willing/ planning to do with the Hyperion, Animation Building and Disney Junior. We’re all used to straight paths leading from the hub to the rest of the DCA so it’s hard to imagine it any other way. But depending on what they decide to with these areas I’m wondering if it has to stay that way. Not sure if it would be worth knocking down the Animation building and Disney Junior or what important backstage stuff is back there but I wonder if they could open it up. Then again opening it up for more space doesn’t really make a lot of sense. They would still need to put up show buildings for attractions.

My bet is on Hollywood Blvd being absorbed by BVS with a portal entrance to Avatar Land. The facades on Hollywood Blvd staying Hollywood themed with perhaps eventually a Marvel attraction going in the Animation building one day with an entrance on the AC side. I think repurposing Hollywood Blvd creates more problems than it solves. I don’t even think a portal entrance is an issue anyway as it’s what they do throughout the rest of the park.
I think we're kinda all on similar pages here. As I recall the rumor was that at least the Hyperion was included, but could also be the Animation Building and Disney Junior get a retheme. So its not hard to have that transition if you include all that to be RDA from BVS (and whatever remains of HW Blvd) and a "portal" into Avatar as you cross into the backlot.

britain

The train is really tucked back there in TL though and not highlighted at all. It was more of a practical choice to have the train station there as it circles the entire park. This would be more like if the Horse Drawn Street Cars hung a right at the hub and went through Tomorrowland. I don’t think anyone would like that. Haha. I think it could work though if it was kind of semi- hidden in the rock work / mountains along the lands edge. Going through the center of the land not so much IMO.
I just want something to replace the animation building. It’s a pale shadow of what it used to be.

TheDisneyParksfanC8

Some Disney YouTubers like Fresh Baked and Orangregrove55 think the Hollywood backlot would be too small for something like Pandora and are wondering if DCA's avatar land is actually destined for the Simba lot so it can have more breathing room.

If Avatar goes to the Simba lot, I wonder if that rumored land for DHS is going to be ported over to DCA and replace Hollywoodland instead.

Consumer

If Hollywood Blvd was converted into an extension of Buena Vista Street, my hope would be that the strip receives new facades to match the Los Feliz inspired architecture of BVS. I would also like to see some sort of attraction be present in that stretch. Perhaps maintain Animation Academy but redesign the building to resemble the old Hyperion Studios. I also recall an old rumor that Carthay Circle was initially to hold a show about Walt Disney; maybe that would be a good fit in that space, as well. My main point is I just don't want to see Hollywood Blvd left untouched and simply adopted into Buena Vista Street, I want to see it actually improved.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom