News Avatar Experience coming to Disneyland Resort

Disney Irish

Premium Member
This was the only part of his post I disagreed with. I think everything else was spot on. Still think it takes up way too much room though and land is at a premium at DLR. In Hong Kong, Oakens makes much more sense than at DLR. First off, the park didn’t have a kiddie coaster. The park needed a new big land / draw and they chose Frozen so it’s easier to understand the choice of making the secondary ride a kiddie coaster and I’m certainly not going to fault them for making it beautiful even if its a bit misleading. I look at it as atmosphere that happens to have a kiddie coaster attached. Could they have added a couple real show scenes? Probably but I prefer the route they went over a secondary attraction like Maters or Alien Saucers.
Whats funny though is that WDW has at least three "kiddie" coasters, but DLR only has one. So I don't think adding just one more is a waste of space, I think its needed in my opinion, especially since I also think they should add another mid-to-large regular coaster too.

Professortango1

So you really think the average guest is underwhelmed by a coaster like Oaken's and SDMT? Interesting since SDMT still has a long line most days, even many years after its opening. So that doesn't mean to jive with what you're saying. If it was so underwhelming it'd have short lines.
I know a lot of people who were looking forward to it when it was being built and frustrated Disney built something so lackluster.

MK is also a different animal. They get far more tourists and have a lower bar to clear for guest satisfaction..MK is also a very young skewing park with a much smaller attraction line-up. They don't have 5 Fantasyland Darkrides, they have Pooh and Mermaid. They don't have Storybook Land.

If this ride was at Disneyland, I'd wager it would have 20-35 minute waits once interest wained. And that's because of the capacity issues of the ride, the same reason why Go Coaster can get to 30-40 minutes some days.

If I get a Frozen Coaster, I don't want it to be what they have in Hong Kong. Nothing says Frozen like riding a sleigh through a green forest. Give me the icy version of Big Thunder with wolves pursuing us like Anna and Kristoff.

Tokyo showed us what a good Frozen attraction is instead of the Disney Jr "you get to visit Elsa, lucky!" story and experience.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think we re all specifically talking about DLR or at least I am. I don’t think DLR needs a kiddie coaster that takes up a lot of room. Don’t think it’s a wise choice. I do think that the resort could use a Cosmic Rewind or a Hagrids. In general though I’m not opposed to more kiddie coasters at Disney parks. I think one per park though is probably more than enough in most cases. Most these parks have toms to do for kids and limited expansion opportunities. Or at least Disney makes it seem that way. So it becomes a matter of what you are willing to lose or not get instead for a second kiddie coaster.
I think there is more room than you realize. I think they could literally put 3-4 more coasters in there at least, even if we know they won't do that.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I know a lot of people who were looking forward to it when it was being built and frustrated Disney built something so lackluster.

MK is also a different animal. They get far more tourists and have a lower bar to clear for guest satisfaction..MK is also a very young skewing park with a much smaller attraction line-up. They don't have 5 Fantasyland Darkrides, they have Pooh and Mermaid. They don't have Storybook Land.

If this ride was at Disneyland, I'd wager it would have 20-35 minute waits once interest wained. And that's because of the capacity issues of the ride, the same reason why Go Coaster can get to 30-40 minutes some days.

If I get a Frozen Coaster, I don't want it to be what they have in Hong Kong. Nothing says Frozen like riding a sleigh through a green forest. Give me the icy version of Big Thunder with wolves pursuing us like Anna and Kristoff.

Tokyo showed us what a good Frozen attraction is instead of the Disney Jr "you get to visit Elsa, lucky!" story and experience.
Well to each their own, but I don't think its as underwhelming to the GP as you think it is. Tourists opinions count too, even if you think their bar is lower.

mickEblu

I think there is more room than you realize. I think they could literally put 3-4 more coasters in there at least, even if we know they won't do that.

Well all those things need to be taken into account. The hot IP they re motivated to bring to the parks that may or not make sense for a coaster, the rate at which they will build these projects over the next 20+ years and the space they have. Sure they have room for 4 coasters but in reality they maybe have room for 1-2 that I might see in my lifetime.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well all those things need to be taken into account. The hot IP they re motivated to bring to the parks that may or not make sense for a coaster, the rate at which they will build these projects over the next 20+ years and the space they have. Sure they have room for 4 coasters but in reality they maybe have room for 1-2 that I might see in my lifetime.
Agreed, which is why if its 2 then go with one "kiddie" coaster and one thrill coaster.

Professortango1

Well to each their own, but I don't think its as underwhelming to the GP as you think it is. Tourists opinions count too, even if you think their bar is lower.
I think WDW is filled with mediocre attractions with inflated wait times. I love Living with the Land, but I've even waited 30 minutes for that before. And that ride does not go over well with lay people. 45-70 minutes is what I call a standard wait time for any E-ticket, and SDMT is a faux E, so it makes sense.

Also, I think what drives me to Disney is the idea that appeasing people isn't the goal, its elevating the theme park experience. If it was about just giving people what they want, we'd see IP's shoved in regardless of theme or lands and an overall move to cram as much in as possible. I know I'm not alone as this is why people have been disappointed with the fairly recent direction of Epcot, the filling in of the Rivers of America for Cars, and even things like the Haunted Mansion interactive queue. You can argue that people like it, sure. But most people on here would argue that is makes the attraction weaker, artistically speaking. Same with the placement of the Hatbox Ghost.

So I guess it depends where you sit. If you think any additions are good if people like them, then sure, Disney can build 3 kiddie coasters that have 60 minute waits and have one show scene each. People will wait in line if the queue/facade look interesting enough. Or if you think Disney is an industry leader and the parks are a form of artistic expression that should capture the imaginations of folks young and old, then you might prefer a more substantial attraction that has more to offer than rockwork and a low height limit.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I think WDW is filled with mediocre attractions with inflated wait times. I love Living with the Land, but I've even waited 30 minutes for that before. And that ride does not go over well with lay people. 45-70 minutes is what I call a standard wait time for any E-ticket, and SDMT is a faux E, so it makes sense.

Also, I think what drives me to Disney is the idea that appeasing people isn't the goal, its elevating the theme park experience. If it was about just giving people what they want, we'd see IP's shoved in regardless of theme or lands and an overall move to cram as much in as possible. I know I'm not alone as this is why people have been disappointed with the fairly recent direction of Epcot, the filling in of the Rivers of America for Cars, and even things like the Haunted Mansion interactive queue. You can argue that people like it, sure. But most people on here would argue that is makes the attraction weaker, artistically speaking. Same with the placement of the Hatbox Ghost.

So I guess it depends where you sit. If you think any additions are good if people like them, then sure, Disney can build 3 kiddie coasters that have 60 minute waits and have one show scene each. People will wait in line if the queue/facade look interesting enough. Or if you think Disney is an industry leader and the parks are a form of artistic expression that should capture the imaginations of folks young and old, then you might prefer a more substantial attraction that has more to offer than rockwork and a low height limit.
The difference though is that those here, especially those that post daily, aren't representative of the GP. So their opinions are more critical than those of the GP. And while some may think that is good, and in some or even many cases it is, that isn't who Disney is trying to build for, and in many cases never was. That is something that many here have lost sight of. Too many think their opinions over the opinions in the GP matter more because we post about it everyday. And that just isn't the reality. And that is something that some just have to accept.

So yeah you'll have the GP waiting 60+ minutes for what is perceived by some here as a mediocre experience. But that is their right to do so. That doesn't mean their opinion is any less valid than yours. If having a "kiddie" coaster like Oaken's at DLR doesn't appeal to you, and that is what Disney decides to build, well then don't wait in the 60-75 minute line and go on something else. As you said there are lots of experiences at DLR for you to do.

Also no one said shove Oaken's where ever, it would be in an Arendelle theme land. So lets not get crazy here. Lol

mickEblu

Whats funny though is that WDW has at least three "kiddie" coasters, but DLR only has one. So I don't think adding just one more is a waste of space, I think its needed in my opinion, especially since I also think they should add another mid-to-large regular coaster too.

Interesting that you view 7DMT and Slinky as “kiddie” coasters. I’ve always viewed them as family coasters. Like less thrilling Big Thunder Mountains if you will. I think kiddie coaster implies more like an off the shelf coaster with a 30- 60 second ride time.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Interesting that you view 7DMT and Slinky as “kiddie” coasters. I’ve always viewed them as family coasters. Like less thrilling Big Thunder Mountains if you will. I think kiddie coaster implies more like an off the shelf coaster with a 30 second ride time.
Anything that has a height requirement under 40" for a coaster is considered a "kiddie" coaster, which is why they are listed officially as a "junior coaster" or "family coaster". Its all different terms for the same thing.

mickEblu

Anything that has a height requirement under 40" for a coaster is considered a "kiddie" coaster, which is why they are listed officially as a "junior coaster" or "family coaster". Its all different terms for the same thing.

Who does? Disney? I didn’t see any such labeling on the app but when I filtered “kids” attractions the only rides it filtered out were Incredicoaster and Mission Breakout. Those are the only two rides at DLR Ive ever considered to be thrill rides in the “real world” and looks like Disney agrees.

Anyway to get back on topic I think there is a clear difference between a kiddie coaster and a family coaster. Gadgets Go coaster is designed specifically for children. An adult would go ride 7DMT and Slinky with no kids. You won’t find very many adults riding Gadgets by themselves. 7DMT and Slinky are family coasters.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Who does? Disney? I didn’t see any such labeling on the app but when I filtered “kids” attractions the only rides it filtered out were Incredicoaster and Mission Breakout. Those are the only two rides at DLR Ive ever considered to be thrill rides in the “real world” and looks like Disney agrees.
These are industry terms.

Now when most people think of a "kiddie" coaster they think of a traveling carnival one with the dragon for example. But really I've known it as any coaster that has a height restriction under 40" can be seen as a "kiddie coaster" as it just means no thrills, no loops, etc., being off the shelf was never part of the classification. The newer term "family coaster" has sort of replaced "kiddie coaster", also sometimes called a "junior coaster", as it gets away from the negative carnival type "kiddie coaster" visual. But to me they are just different terms for the same thing. Any coaster that the family can ride together that doesn't have a major height restriction.

Anyway to get back on topic I think there is a clear difference between a kiddie coaster and a family coaster. Gadgets Go coaster is designed specifically for children. An adult would go ride 7DMT and Slinky with no kids. You won’t find very many adults riding Gadgets by themselves. 7DMT and Slinky are family coasters.
You obviously haven't been lately, I see more adults riding Go Coaster than kids, especially after the recent redo of TT.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Well now that I know that by “kiddie coaster” you actually mean family coaster I agree. Haha.
The terms are interchangeable really, especially these days. :)

But we can use the term family coaster if you want, as that is really almost all of Disney coasters anyways. I just want to classify something different from BTMRR and SM vs Go Coaster, as Go Coaster has a lower height restriction. So I want something with under 40", like Oaken's.

Last edited:

mickEblu

The terms are interchangeable really, especially these days. :)

But we can use the term family coaster if you want, as that is really almost all of Disney coasters anyways. I just want to classify something different from BTMRR and SM vs Go Coaster, as Go Coaster has a lower height restriction. So I want something with under 40", like Oaken's.

Well whatever they re called it's time to start manifesting the Ewok coaster. Consider me officially on the clock.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom