Avatar construction aerial updates

dstrawn9889

i cannot think of any other reason other than they are driving pilings, or assembling the crane itself for use in moving large chunks of FoTLK (hvac or structural steel when they start demo

roj2323

i cannot think of any other reason other than they are driving pilings, or assembling the crane itself for use in moving large chunks of FoTLK (hvac or structural steel when they start demo

If the rumors are true about the flight simulator in avatarland then the structure is going to need a fairly significant foundation. Additionally the floating rocks are going to need a significant foundation as well so it makes sense that they would start with that. As for disassembling the old FoTLK building that can be done largely with ground equipment and a small mobile crane. At the very least they could just be installing a foundation for a tower crane but I doubt it.

Tom

Beta Return
If the rumors are true about the flight simulator in avatarland then the structure is going to need a fairly significant foundation. Additionally the floating rocks are going to need a significant foundation as well so it makes sense that they would start with that. As for disassembling the old FoTLK building that can be done largely with ground equipment and a small mobile crane. At the very least they could just be installing a foundation for a tower crane but I doubt it.

According to the original plans, there are MANY pilings and foundations in the primary attraction building. It's a mammoth steel building, plus the weight of the ride system.

Disneyhead'71

One other thing I thought about, is if they need to dig down into the sand, they may be pile driving corrugated steel sheets into the sand to build a perimeter wall. After they do that, they can dig out all the sand inside the area. That is what Universal did for Transformers.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
One other thing I thought about, is if they need to dig down into the sand, they may be pile driving corrugated steel sheets into the sand to build a perimeter wall. After they do that, they can dig out all the sand inside the area. That is what Universal did for Transformers.

sheet piling...
Isn't sheet piling typically done only when the size constraints of the job site will not permit the soil being excavated out to the proper relief angle?

dstrawn9889

they can use it as a breakwall as they keep excavating, to keep the sandy soil from back-filling the dug out area, as well as key wall around the sassagula... (not disney, stock footage)
10vapokon-PrbBeforeRemovingSheetPile.jpg

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
you guys are talking way over my head on this stuff
Here is the explanation for my comment "sheet piling used when soil can not be dug out to proper relief angle".

The relief angle for soil is the maxim angle that a hole can be dug without the sides collapsing in. For something like the red clay in Georgia you can darn near get away with having a straight 90 degree wall. However, when you are dealing with the sandy soils of Florida, that angle has to be much less. If you don't have the room to dig out the hole to meet this angle you have to put up some sort of a barrier to prevent the soil from collapsing in. For large sites, sheet pilings are ideal as you just keep adding more and more sections. For smaller projects, one piece construction units commonly called "trench boxes" are used.

18-%20Trenching%20for%20New%20%20Wateline.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom