Avatar construction aerial updates

twebber55

What you mentioned are actually, I'd say, the two things that leave littlest room for higher capacity. We now have enough information on the boats to see that they will seat about 6 people, certainly no more than 8. And since we don't really know the ride time, I chose 4 minutes as a generously short estimate. If the ride is any shorter than that, we have a bigger issue.

The biggest chance at higher capacity is in there being more than 12 boats. I just took a look at the water permit, and there certainly looks to be room for more than 12. I gues my mind was on Maelstrom and its unusually spread out boats. Since this ride won't have any big drops, they can run them closer together. Point is, I'll admit that was a faulty guess on my part. I'm now predicting 1,500 an hour!

Side question. Anyone know how many boats It's a Small World typically runs at a time? Is it around 25?

Someday I'm going to make a list of all of this stuff. It's one of the few things I struggle to find on the internet.
who knows, you may be exactly right
i have a hard time believing they would make a boat ride with 6 people per raft, but if they be closer together on the track they may be able to get away with it

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
What you mentioned are actually, I'd say, the two things that leave littlest room for higher capacity. We now have enough information on the boats to see that they will seat about 6 people, certainly no more than 8. And since we don't really know the ride time, I chose 4 minutes as a generously short estimate. If the ride is any shorter than that, we have a bigger issue.

The biggest chance at higher capacity is in there being more than 12 boats. I just took a look at the water permit, and there certainly looks to be room for more than 12. I gues my mind was on Maelstrom and its unusually spread out boats. Since this ride won't have any big drops, they can run them closer together. Point is, I'll admit that was a faulty guess on my part. I'm now predicting 1,500 an hour!

Side question. Anyone know how many boats It's a Small World typically runs at a time? Is it around 25?

Someday I'm going to make a list of all of this stuff. It's one of the few things I stuggle to find on the internet.
With a continuous attraction like a boat ride, omni-mover, etc., ride time has next to nothing to do with overall capacity.

Vehicle load/unload time and vehicle capacity will determine the hourly capacity.

doctornick

It's entirely possible that there will be more boats than the number seen in the picture. I wouldn't get too worried about that aspect in regards to capacity.

I wonder if the smaller boats were used to make it easier for them to move around and be in tight spaces. If the ride uses the Shanghai POTC tech, the boats can turn (even go backwards) and the smaller size would allow for smaller quarters in order to be closer to the scenes in the ride.

Also, smaller boats might be thought to be more "intimate" for this journey in keeping with a theme of being tourists visiting Pandora.

BrianLo

With a continuous attraction like a boat ride, omni-mover, etc., ride time has next to nothing to do with overall capacity.

Vehicle load/unload time and vehicle capacity will determine the hourly capacity.

Agreed, before this spins wildly out of control, the number of individuals in a vehicle tells us pretty much nothing about capacity. After all, HM is 2-3 per vehicle, it compensates by stacking 'vehicles' one after another.

It just means dispatch time needs to be a lot higher to keep pace with something like Shanghai's PoTC.

Smaller boats are definitely more intimate as @doctornick said.

No Name

Tagging @BrianLo @Mike S @1023 too

Alright, I appologize. I realize that I was not clear.

My comment about ride time was specifically in reference to the Pandora boat ride situation. We have seen the general path of the water that the boats will travel through. And let's say that we know how many boats will circulate at one time and that each boat seats x number of people (just bear with me, I'm really not cheating!). With those constants in place, a shorter ride time implies a faster boat speed, which therefore implies a shorter dispatch interval, which therefore implies that the ride can pump more people through every hour. On the other hand, a longer ride time implies the opposite.

If any general scenario where we don't have enough "constants," yes, you are absolutely right. For example, the Haunted Mansion has a larger hourly capacity than Under the Sea - Whatever Ours Is Called. It also has a longer ride time, but as you say, that does not really affect hourly capacity. The speed of the omnimover is what has the greatest affect in that case, and the HM omnimover moves faster.

If the Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea had the same track length, then ride time would basically be inversely proportional to capacity, as is the case with my Avatar example.

I appologize and hope that makes a bit of sense. Am I explaining that well enough?Correct me if I'm wrong on anything too.

Last edited:

Old Mouseketeer

Someday I'm going to make a list of all of this stuff. It's one of the few things I stuggle to find on the internet.
DL PoTC is max 43 boats and max 22 guests (plus babies) and less with flooding (as low as 18). IIRC, target was 2700/hr under ideal conditions.

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
Tagging @BrianLo @Mike S @1023 too

Alright, I appologize. I realize that I was not clear.

My comment about ride time was specifically in reference to the Pandora boat ride situation. We have seen the general path of the water that the boats will travel through. And let's say that we know how many boats will circulate at one time and that each boat seats x number of people (just bear with me, I'm really not cheating!). With those constants in place, a shorter ride time implies a faster boat speed, which therefore implies a shorter dispatch interval, which therefore implies that the ride can pump more people through every hour. On the other hand, a longer ride time implies the opposite.

If any general scenario where we don't have enough "constants," yes, you are absolutely right. For example, the Haunted Mansion has a larger hourly capacity than Under the Sea - Whatever Ours Is Called. It also has a longer ride time, but as you say, that does not really affect hourly capacity. The speed of the omnimover is what has the greatest affect in that case, and the HM omnimover moves faster.

If the Haunted Mansion and Under the Sea had the same track length, then ride time would basically be inversely proportional to capacity, as is the case with my Avatar example.

I appologize and hope that makes a bit of sense. Am I explaining that well enough?Correct me if I'm wrong on anything too.

Dispatch time will be the deciding factor for this attraction. Hitting the theoretical will not happen but this is no FrozenStrom. Throughput will be adequate, but there will be an entertaining wait. You're getting warmer.

*1023*

Provocateur, Rancanteur, Plaisanter, du Jour
I would expect a better situation at load/unload than Frozen Ever After which will help.

Yeah...it's also a purpose built attraction and not a shoehorned IP that is out of place by 6.8 miles. Load/unload in 2 zones plus accessible features. And much better capacity.... not to mention some excellent AAs and set pieces. ;)

*1023*

Siren

Mainly because the “real thing” does not exist...
Hmmm. V2.0 is okay, but I liked Version 1.0 better. LOL. j/k

Anyway, now I'm thinking that Disney will install an observation deck(s) on the top floors of the building, so people can get a good view of the floating mountains. The building is much higher than the floating mountains so it totally makes sense.

And, Disney might even put a rotating restaurant similar to the Garden Grill that offers 360 degree views of Avatarland, AK and the inside of the building, too. So, we'll see.

33c2gj8.jpg

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom