Automated monorail system update

Gabe1

Ivory Tower Squabble EST 2011. WINDMILL SURVIVOR
Actually, the whole thing was paid for, minus a very small difference. The real reason why Gov. Scott killed it was because he is in bed with the parent company of All Aboard Florida (FEC). This would have killed AAF's chances of success, if it was fully built as planned from Tampa to Miami. The fact that AAF is privately funded versus FHSR being government funded has a lot to do with it. Read Atlas Shrugged to fully understand why Tea Party Republicans are against government-funded high speed rail systems. Personally, I think this is a radical view of capitalism, but to each his of her own.

Yeah, I stuck with what he stated in his decline of funds. Anytime we start to put republicans against democrats it doesn't go well so I try and stay away from those debates.

Tonka's Skipper

You have to start somewhere. Many states took the Fed funds to be the starting point. We took it in Illinois and the bonus is all the jobs it has created too. They've been plugging along well since spring.

You have to start somewhere. Many states took the Fed funds to be the starting point. We took it in Illinois and the bonus is all the jobs it has created too. They've been plugging along well since spring.

They are still working on the Northeast corridor, looking for a Boston to DC trip of 3 1/2 hours.

will it happen....yes.......but when is the big question.

AKK

PeterAlt

FYI - Vladimir Putin approved long-term financing of a high speed rail tunnel connecting Siberia to Alaska. He also approved a series of tunnels and/or bridges connecting high speed rail from Russia to Japan. Russia is currently operating a HSR network linking the major cities and Moscow. A line going through Siberia to the Bering Strait and ending at where the tunnel to Alaska is planned is currently under construction. Besides HSR, the Bering Strait tunnel will also have oil and gas pipeline (imported from Russia), as well as an electric grid importing thermal-electric and hydro-electric energy from power plants to be built on the Russian side sold to America. The project is being paid for by a consortium of international companies and the Russian government.

Separately, China plans to build a high speed rail tunnel from mainland China to Taiwan. Also, Japan and South Korea are in talks about sharing the costs of building a high speed rail tunnel linking their respective countries.

When this is all finished, Russia will control the flow of inexpensive travel and import and export of goods to North America from all of Europe and Asia and will profit greatly from it.

Putin's aspirations for making his country a respectable super power is coming together because he has what we lack - ambition.

Goofnut1980

Past due, but it's progress. Kinda'.
I just can't see how this will benefit anyone but Disney. I mean, dozens of CMs become unnecessary, but MAYBE it'll be safer? I hope, anyways.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of bugs the encounter right away.

What do you do when the the BSD (blue screen of death) comes up while people are in the trams? hahahahahaha

GrumpyFan

When is this phase (line installation, infrastructure upgrade) slated to end, and then the next phase set to begin? I assume the next phase will be installation of the system and initial testing on one of the lines, or is this slated to be rolled out all at once on all three (Express, Resort, Epcot)?

Cesar R M

Now, if we were ambitious and created a long term funded plan for a national high speed rail system it would make a lot more sense.

Dreamfinder: you have to start somewhere.. if every state started to do their zone, it was just a matter of link them to create such system.

ExtinctJenn

I think this is a smart idea. As others have said, the safety measures in place now are great but having a pilot in control of them means they could ultimately be overridden. My question is this though... can/will this truly be a new pilotless monorail? Can they really do that when it's a mode of transportation?

That aside... have to agree the idea is kind of a retirement job dream killer. Sadness. LOL

the.dreamfinder

Even as a national system, route selection needs to be based on need and potential usage. That just did not exist between Tampa and Orlando and is not likely to exist in the forceable future. That is part of what makes high speed rail so difficult, it only works in places where it will be hard to build. The rest of the transit system needs to be built first. It will never follow high speed rail because people will just see incredibly expensive, empty trains running through farmland and reject more projects that will be painted as fund suckers.
I agree, Orlando should have a HSR connecting it to Atlanta or Miami before it should ever have one to Tampa. We should look to TGV to plan a nationwide system because they really got route selection down right.
718px-France_TGV.png

PeterAlt

Most of the Florida money went to California. Some of it went to the NE Corridor. I know the NE Corridor will be a good investment. I'm just worried about California. First, the route is a round-about that doesn't go straight to from north to south. Second, rising cost projections are putting that project at risk. If they don't get their act together, I hope those funds are taken from them and given to the NE Corridor.

Gabe1

I think this is a smart idea. As others have said, the safety measures in place now are great but having a pilot in control of them means they could ultimately be overridden. My question is this though... can/will this truly be a new pilotless monorail? Can they really do that when it's a mode of transportation?

That aside... have to agree the idea is kind of a retirement job dream killer. Sadness. LOL

At MCO they're pilotless right and they transport? Don't know that they could completely retro fit these monorails/rails to be like MCO's. Disney spending mega $$$ to put in a totally new monorail system, maybe the old Disney would, new Disney, I doubt it.

GrumpyFan

What do you do when the the BSD (blue screen of death) comes up while people are in the trams? hahahahahaha

The same thing everyone else does, re-boot?
Seriously, though. These systems have fail safes built-in to them that will stop them if/when the software crashes.
BTW, the existing monorail system is already re-booted pretty regularly during normal operations . I've been waiting both on the platform and on a train when they've done this at least twice. All trains simply hold their current position until everything is up and running again.

Voxel

President of Progress City
I work in an industry where computers cannot fail so I do know first hand that you can make a computer system that is fairly consistent in it's running. I won't say what I do but even look at Google in the last 10 years Google has only had a handful of server crashes and only one that was major enough to hit news

ExtinctJenn

At MCO they're pilotless right and they transport? Don't know that they could completely retro fit these monorails/rails to be like MCO's. Disney spending mega $$$ to put in a totally new monorail system, maybe the old Disney would, new Disney, I doubt it.
Y'know I honestly don't know. I know that on ride vehicles and things like that (TTA comes to mind) obviously they don't need a pilot but I am trying to think if there are any sort of odd laws in place that would say they have to have someone on board in a pilot capacity. DH said maybe they'd be automated but a pilot would still sit up front but that seems to defeat the purpose. I suppose they could do it but in the back of my head I seem to remember something about public transportation. It's probably something that doesn't apply here and it needs to squish it's way back out of my ears. :D

Voxel

Desktop computers crash all the time. Web servers crash some of the time. But properly designed real time computers are designed to never crash, and designed so that if they do crash something predictable and safe happens. For such systems often even Linux is not reliable enough, and redundant control systems running on purpose built real time operating systems are used instead.
A realtime system will be the way to go. If done right they are amazing in how they run but very few people know realtime programming very well. I was never taught how to work on a real time system until I started working on one.

Cesar R M

I work in an industry where computers cannot fail so I do know first hand that you can make a computer system that is fairly consistent in it's running. I won't say what I do but even look at Google in the last 10 years Google has only had a handful of server crashes and only one that was major enough to hit news
well, the issue is.. they do have a lot of backups and secondary systems, dont they?
And I remember they pretty much load balance on different datacenters worldwide.. similar to Amazon's.

Gabe1

Most of the Florida money went to California. Some of it went to the NE Corridor. I know the NE Corridor will be a good investment. I'm just worried about California. First, the route is a round-about that doesn't go straight to from north to south. Second, rising cost projections are putting that project at risk. If they don't get their act together, I hope those funds are taken from them and given to the NE Corridor.

Illinois got quite the chunk of the pie and we got an addition 183 mill for to produce the 35 next-generation engines this spring for Illinois, California, Michigan, Missouri and Washington. So it isn't just the rail lines, it is about employment and manufacturing opportunities. Cali last year got the ball roll'n for 130 passenger double decker passenger cars, but Illinois is building the 130 next generation rail cars. For once our state answered the door when opportunity knocked. Chugging along.

Voxel

well, the issue is.. they do have a lot of backups and secondary systems, dont they?
And I remember they pretty much load balance on different datacenters worldwide.. similar to Amazon's.
Yes I work with a system that as a primary and secondary system that can actively switch out without effecting operations.

PhilharMagician

I am going off a several year old memory, but wasn't monorail yellow outfitted with a driverless system for testing?

Would that even be possible without the track sensors and required signal infrastructure to which I am assuming is being run now according to Bwana Bob's post? Maybe they did a light version to test?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom