Automated monorail system update

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I just don't get how an automated computer system is safer then a live human. Computers crash all the time, even the best companies have problems once in a while. Also, I would imagine this automated system could be hacked by someone who knows what their doing and cause a whole lot of problems, hope it doesn't happen but just saying it might be possible.

The Monorail isn't much different then a lot of the rides at Disney parks, and most rides do not have humans controlling the vehicles. Rides like Test Track, Dinosaur, and Tower of Terror all have computer controlled vehicles that are arguably doing things far more dangerous then a monorail.

BwanaBob

Original Poster
Not running electrical.. It's data.. But yes, it's for the new ATCS (Advanced Train Control System)
I was purposely vague... I figured the black flex conduit could hold whatever.
The burrowing machine(s) and electrical subcontractors all along World Dr. last couple of weeks told the story.

Cesar R M

Hasn't (OIA) Orlando Airport approved funding to link the (MIA) and (OIA) airports together with expansion to WDW and Port Canaveral with a high speed train type system? I believe I saw that this was being funded to help boost tourism into Orlando, and also provide funding to do the expansion to the Orlando airport as well. I believe the company is All Aboard Florida
Id ride the entire way.. never been in a high speed train. (and I do not think the magnetic coaster at six flags houston counts)

The Monorail isn't much different then a lot of the rides at Disney parks, and most rides do not have humans controlling the vehicles. Rides like Test Track, Dinosaur, and Tower of Terror all have computer controlled vehicles that are arguably doing things far more dangerous then a monorail.

I do not think you can compare a small short coaster with very controlled environment.
vs something that is out there that can be affected by a lot of external stuff(like the monorail).

msteel

I just don't get how an automated computer system is safer then a live human. Computers crash all the time, even the best companies have problems once in a while. Also, I would imagine this automated system could be hacked by someone who knows what their doing and cause a whole lot of problems, hope it doesn't happen but just saying it might be possible.

Desktop computers crash all the time. Web servers crash some of the time. But properly designed real time computers are designed to never crash, and designed so that if they do crash something predictable and safe happens. For such systems often even Linux is not reliable enough, and redundant control systems running on purpose built real time operating systems are used instead.

Last edited:

lazyboy97o

If a hacker was going o cause mischief there are already existing targets like the Las Vegas Monorail.

Id ride the entire way.. never been in a high speed train.
All Aboard Florida is higher speed rail, not genuine high speed rail. More conventional passenger trains running at higher speeds versus special equipment and track like the TGV in France or the Shinkansen "bullet train" of Japan.

wogwog

Past due, but it's progress. Kinda'.
I just can't see how this will benefit anyone but Disney. I mean, dozens of CMs become unnecessary, but MAYBE it'll be safer? I hope, anyways.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of bugs the encounter right away.
Do not worry about any bugs or glitches. Disney might just transition the crack IT team from the Next Gen project doing the FP minus stuff and Magic Bands. So we know not to worry about glitches on a Monorail upgrade. :in pain:

tom morrow jr

After 9/11, there were several projects that were sent to the back burner, including the Art of Animation Resort and monorail upgrades to be followed by expansion. As you know, Art of Animation was eventually moved up and built. The monorail projects almost got going but then Gov. Rick Scott pulled funding for the Florida High Speed Rail system, which the WDW monorail was to be extended to a station to link to it. I'm assuming that just the upgrades are being moved foward for now and a re-evaluation of system expansion without the HSR station will be looked into, for construction to begin some time after the upgrades have completed.

Where'd you get this info about the monorail expansion? Has there been any official word in the last few years about the possibility of an expansion?

PeterAlt

Hasn't (OIA) Orlando Airport approved funding to link the (MIA) and (OIA) airports together with expansion to WDW and Port Canaveral with a high speed train type system? I believe I saw that this was being funded to help boost tourism into Orlando, and also provide funding to do the expansion to the Orlando airport as well. I believe the company is All Aboard Florida
Yes, AAF is building a conventional rail system linking downtown Miami, downtown Ft. Lauderdale, downtown West Palm Beach, and OIA. AAF hopes to expand it in a second phase to WDW, but no agreements for right of way has been negotiated yet for that segment.

Last edited:

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Id ride the entire way.. never been in a high speed train. (and I do not think the magnetic coaster at six flags houston counts)

I do not think you can compare a small short coaster with very controlled environment.
vs something that is out there that can be affected by a lot of external stuff(like the monorail).

Test Track and Radiator Springs Racers run outside and thus are effected by external stuff. These rides also operate safely at much higher speeds then a monorail and have much more complex control requirements. So although they are not the same, they both have to deal with a lot of the same issues.

Alektronic

Do not worry about any bugs or glitches. Disney might just transition the crack IT team from the Next Gen project doing the FP minus stuff and Magic Bands. So we know not to worry about glitches on a Monorail upgrade. :in pain:

That is one of the good things so far, they don't let any outside contractors or IT (outside or inside) anywhere near the ride control systems for the attractions.

Cesar R M

Yeah, my only point would be that the monorial handles way more people AT SAME TIME vs the usual 4 (or 8?) per unit.

PeterAlt

Does anyone know if they're going to be using the Bombardier system (which is based on Disney patents sold to Bombardier) or if this is a new in-house system?

midwest_mice

Past due, but it's progress. Kinda'.
I just can't see how this will benefit anyone but Disney. I mean, dozens of CMs become unnecessary, but MAYBE it'll be safer? I hope, anyways.
It'll be interesting to see what kind of bugs the encounter right away.

They won't get rid of cast members for being unnecessary. I am thinking on the lines of the monorail line behind the Strip in Vegas. You still have attendants at all of the stations during the loading and unloading process. Only the ones out in Vegas are armed with guns!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom