Aunt Polly's is open?

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon
Its
I've never really quite understood why MK shutters so many of their restaurants most of the year. Is it that despite demand for food in the park, they still under-perform? Considering the huge number of restaurants at Epcot, I would think MK could handle quite a few more, given that it's the most populated theme park in the world.

Personally, I'd love to see at least one sit down restaurant in each 'land.' With the upcoming kitchen expansion in the Adventureland/Liberty area, has there been any mention of Diamond Horseshoe being open on a regular basis?

It's because of the idiotic performance ratings and now many plates does each locale sell. Some locations will always do better

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

WDF

I am guessing that the switch to Uncrustables was somehow precipitated by rampant peanut allergies. Easier to not have peanut butter open in the food prep area.

And as for the cake specially made at no charge, doesn't Liberty Tree Tavern's meal include dessert (which is usually some form of cake)? So they provided a dessert that met a dietary need. They might still do that. If they have to make a no-sugar added cake, might as well serve the entire cake to your party.

DC0703

I am guessing that the switch to Uncrustables was somehow precipitated by rampant peanut allergies. Easier to not have peanut butter open in the food prep area.

And as for the cake specially made at no charge, doesn't Liberty Tree Tavern's meal include dessert (which is usually some form of cake)? So they provided a dessert that met a dietary need. They might still do that. If they have to make a no-sugar added cake, might as well serve the entire cake to your party.

You are likely right - the peanut butter could potentially cause cross contamination. The uncrustables can be kept packaged/separate and any nutty desserts are made off site in the main bakery, so there is less nut allergens in the cooking area. As someone with a nut allergy myself (though not peanut), I applaud Disney's steps to reduce food allergy dangers. That is one change from the past decade that has definitely been for the better.

When I ate at Liberty Tree last year, their dinner came with an individual portion cranberry cake that came in a bowl. I don't know if they have alternative options for dietary needs.

prberk

I disagree.
A good middle of the road restaurant, yes should be able to do that, for example a normal city hotel restaurant, as many business travellers could be in the same hotel for several nights and I would expect that type of service to keep things fresh.
But a signature restaurant, no. Why bother going to the Cali Grill for a fried egg. If there isn't what you want on the menu, either don't pick that place, or ask for a "chef special" tell them what you can eat and get something. As far as I've heard Disney is world leading in making allergy friendly items so they can make special orders, but you also need to trust the chef to do something with the ingredients you specify are safe for you.

In terms of your cake order, you would still get that I imagine, but at a charge for a celebration cake.

The point is not the fried egg sandwich but the idea of being able to have a reasonable special order (one of ingredients that they would normally have), and to have exceptional service. And, actually, the California Grill should most definitely be able to do such a thing. You might not be thinking of why that might be useful, but it would be useful for the "normal food" guy or kid that goes to the California Grill to appease his wife or family, but is not interested at all in the "fancy" food on the menu.

When I graduated from college, my family came down and we all went out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in town, which was actually a well-known five-star restaurant in Williamsburg, known as The Trellis. It was a white-tablecloth double-waiter type of place. My brother, who was eleven at the time, looked at the menu and did not see anything that he understood enough to want. He just said that he didn't want anything. Ultimately, the wait staff took pity on him and brought him grapes. Had I known then what I know now about good service, I would have asked them (maybe away from the table) if they could bring him a hamburger or a ham-and-cheese sandwich, and I am pretty sure that they would have made one up. (They had fancy sandwiches on the lunch menu.)

I agree with @Communicore that it was good that they would make PB&J and cheese sandwiches to order. Even my local Applebee's has my vote because they will continue to make a chicken finger club sandwich that has been off the menu for years, but for which they still have all of the ingredients. Good customer service.

Jon81uk

The point is not the fried egg sandwich but the idea of being able to have a reasonable special order (one of ingredients that they would normally have), and to have exceptional service. And, actually, the California Grill should most definitely be able to do such a thing. You might not be thinking of why that might be useful, but it would be useful for the "normal food" guy or kid that goes to the California Grill to appease his wife or family, but is not interested at all in the "fancy" food on the menu.

When I graduated from college, my family came down and we all went out to eat at the fanciest restaurant in town, which was actually a well-known five-star restaurant in Williamsburg, known as The Trellis. It was a white-tablecloth double-waiter type of place. My brother, who was eleven at the time, looked at the menu and did not see anything that he understood enough to want. He just said that he didn't want anything. Ultimately, the wait staff took pity on him and brought him grapes. Had I known then what I know now about good service, I would have asked them (maybe away from the table) if they could bring him a hamburger or a ham-and-cheese sandwich, and I am pretty sure that they would have made one up. (They had fancy sandwiches on the lunch menu.)

I agree with @Communicore that it was good that they would make PB&J and cheese sandwiches to order. Even my local Applebee's has my vote because they will continue to make a chicken finger club sandwich that has been off the menu for years, but for which they still have all of the ingredients. Good customer service.

I know wha you mean about an 11 year old brother, we had that happen in a hotel restaurants too, my brother really wanted a burger and the wait staff were happy to do it. And that sort of moderate restaurant I think it is great service when they can do that. But if I was in a very fine dining place, I would be there for what they do offer, not what they don't and if some of my group wouldn't eat there, I would choose somewhere less fancy.

ford91exploder

Resident Curmudgeon

Most 'fine' dining establishments realize that people go for the experience and show as much as for the food and usually have 'off menu' selections for children and other unsophisticated palate's because a good restaurant is as much a 'show' as it is an eating experience.

It's why a Caesar salad and Bananas Foster are prepared tableside.

One more example of how WDW is degrading the experience by insisting on 'programmed' decisions made in an executive suite rather than allowing the professionals to provide good customer service.

jakeman

Most 'fine' dining establishments realize that people go for the experience and show as much as for the food and usually have 'off menu' selections for children and other unsophisticated palate's because a good restaurant is as much a 'show' as it is an eating experience.

It's why a Caesar salad and Bananas Foster are prepared tableside.

One more example of how WDW is degrading the experience by insisting on 'programmed' decisions made in an executive suite rather than allowing the professionals to provide good customer service.
Could you clarify? Are you saying that the restaurants particularly the table service don't cater to the needs of their customers with off menu items?

Communicore

I believe I mentioned that it was at Disneyland. There is still an official ban on outside food there:
https://disneyland.disney.go.com/faq/dining/outside-food-in-park/
How strictly it is enforced now, or was at the time, I cannot say.

I am aware that there is currently no ban on outside food at WDW. I do not know if this has always been the case.
I remember Sea World had a ban on outside food. I snuck in a subway once and placed it in the crotch area.

noodles

My simple thoughts: When my family goes to TSI, the kids go nuts with enjoyment. Running, jumping, "hey Dad, look at this!". The adults... well, it's Disney, and it's fun, but mostly we kind of hang around waiting for the kids to do their thing. Sure would be nice to sip on some fresh lemonade, or a cup of coffee while we wait. Hey, apple pie is awesome with coffee.
See, I just spent $10 I wasn't planning to spend. We still have our dinner reservations, and we're still going to Pecos Bill's for QS, because the kids have an appetite after all that running. Plus, if you sold me an Aunt Polly's T-shirt (only available when Aunt Polly's is open!) for $35, hmmm....

prberk

My simple thoughts: When my family goes to TSI, the kids go nuts with enjoyment. Running, jumping, "hey Dad, look at this!". The adults... well, it's Disney, and it's fun, but mostly we kind of hang around waiting for the kids to do their thing. Sure would be nice to sip on some fresh lemonade, or a cup of coffee while we wait. Hey, apple pie is awesome with coffee.
See, I just spent $10 I wasn't planning to spend. We still have our dinner reservations, and we're still going to Pecos Bill's for QS, because the kids have an appetite after all that running. Plus, if you sold me an Aunt Polly's T-shirt (only available when Aunt Polly's is open!) for $35, hmmm....

Completely agree. And could definitely see Aunt Polly's as a nice spot for coffee or tea and snack while watching the kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom