August Weather

AV8R

Hello all,

I am finally leaving for the world in less than 2 weeks time. We are all so excited, but something has us concerned. Since we are under 2 weeks before we leave, I have been checking out Orlando's weather forecast. Every day this week they are showing 50% - 60% chance of scattered thunderstorms. That was pretty much the same forecast for last week as well. Now I know that Florida does have rain almost every day, but from what I was told it was more of an afternoon shower around 2-3 pm and never lasts long. So my concern is obviously the weather. I know a few people from the forums will be in Disney the same week as me, does anything think we have anything to be worried about, or do you think we will have plenty of sunshine? This is the first time I have gone this late in the year (I normally go in May) so I don't know what the weather is typically like. I want this trip to be the best possible because it will be my mother-in-laws first trip to Disney and I want it to be as magical as possible. Thank you all so much for your help.

DivineMadness7

The vacation is booked and probably paid for at this point, right? It's too late to switch to another week and even if you did, there is no guarantee that it wouldn't rain then. All you can do is hope for good weather at this point. You can't control it OR let it ruin your vacation. We went last year in August and saw a few rainstorms while we were there. Weather is part of life, WDW included.

All you can do is make the best of it. Buy some ponchos at the dollar store, pack some plastic bags to store wet stuff in your bag at the park, take extra socks/shoes and hope you won't need them. It won't rain 24/7 there, but you're likely to see some rain. Your attitude will impact your trip more than the rain. Just try to make the best of it and you will have a magical time!

Upvote 0

bh7812

I really wouldn't worry about the weather too much in August. It really is pretty much an afternoon shower or thunderstorm, usually around 2-3 pm, like clockwork, and lasts for 10, 15 minutes and then it completely clears up like nothing happened at all. However, if you are caught in one of those afternoon showers or thunderstorms the rain can be heavy so keep that in mind. Outside of that, 98 percent of the days in August are usually sunny and HOT. The heat is a bigger worry than the rain in my opinion. The afternoon storms are by no means anything that will ruin your trip and certainly won't be a wash out.

I'm going down a week from Friday..I'll be there from the 8th-15th and staying at the Poly. Have a great trip! Your Mother in law's first time, wow...she'll love it. It's even better than the commercials already make it look and once she sees it for herself she'll understand why people love it so much. I hope this was helpful :)

Upvote 0

wagnerdanp

We are leaving in 2 weeks too and my family and I always go to WDW in August.

Last year, the forcast called for scattered and isolated thunderstorms everyday, but we only had a few days with a brief (but heavy) downpour around 5 pm.

I actually love to see it rain at the parks, because the rain normally drives some of the people out of the parks. Since you are from PA (like me), the only thing you will have to worry about are the 90+ degree temperatures and the humidity! ehh... humidity!

Have a great trip! :wave:

Upvote 0

AV8R

Original Poster
Thanks for the info guys. This sure helps and makes me feel better. bh7812, we will be visiting Disney at the same time. Our trip is form Aug 9th - 15th and we are staying at French Quarter. I hope everyone has a great time and great weather during their visit.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

We did August in 2006 - over a three week holiday (1st - 22nd) we probably only saw rain for about a third of the time, there were two really heavy downpours and the rest of the time it was pretty light and didn't interfere with our plans.

Upvote 0

coltow

Rain doesn't stop us. We always assume it will rain for a little bit each day. If it doesn't it's a bonus. I bring ponchos from home (way cheaper) and we just throw them on if it rains bad. Most of the time we welcome getting a little wet, but not soaked.

Upvote 0

CatsMeow

When we were there last month, it rained every day, but it was a weird pattern - on a few days it started at 2:00 and lasted till late evening. The other days the rain started later (5:00-ish) and kept up for a good part of the evening. And it was not just rain, but thunder and lightning as well. The two weeks prior to our trip - one of my colleagues was there then - it had not rained at all, so I guess we just got "lucky"! :rolleyes: Try to make the best of it if you do get rain.....you can't do anything about it anyway! And my guess is that you'll get brief showers, which is par for the course.

Upvote 0

Brwneyedgirl72

Bottom line - if you are in Florida in the summer - expect daily rain. I have found Orlando to be pretty predictable, so just go into your trip expecting it to rain daily and hope for the best. Rain isn't so bad though, it helps to cool things down. I think you will be more affected by the heat than the rain. Have a great trip!

Upvote 0

BRER DAD

I will be there in two weeks and like others have said it rains everyday. It is usally quick and painless. We go down every August and we love it. Have a safe trip and enjoy yourself!!

Upvote 0

abbeysmom

Believe me, you will welcome a rain shower. The parks are brutal most summer days and at least with a shower the sun goes in for a while. I was also there last month when the rain was crazy. Lasted alot longer than usual but the good thing was we were staying at AKL and the animals LOVE the rain. The giraffes were just standing there like statues in the lightning... :eek:

Upvote 0

krankenstein

It shouldn't be anything but afternoon rain showers. Just in case, take a rain coat in your backpack and have fun. If it does rain, enjoy the shorter lines and the wide open walk ways!

One suggestion, make sure you watch the heat and humidity. August isn't called "the dog days of summer" for nothing. Drink plenty of water and have a blast!

Upvote 0

JerseySkiddie

like everyone has said, its nothing to worry about. bring your poncho and duck into an attraction when it starts to rain. by the time you're finished the sun should be shining again!

have a great time!

Upvote 0

lac628

OK...living here in "sunny" FL, I have to give my input. August is HOT and HUMID!!! The rain may cool things down momentarily, but after it stops and the sun comes back, the humudity rises to almost unbearable levels. Also, the last couple years, the afternoon storms haven't been too bad. We have been in a drought for a couple years, bc the summer storms never really came. Well, this year, the storms are back! They don't always last only 15 minutes. Lately, they have been lasting a couple hours. I hate to rain on your parade (no pun intented), but August sucks in Florida.
Do as others have said and bring ponchos and maybe plan around the storms. Like eat during the hardest rains. You'll have fun no matter what!

Upvote 0

Craig & Lisa

We have been to the World 18 times since 97, and there in aug at least 4 out of that time with another one next month again. It will be hot, humid, and they have an old saying down there, "If it's raining, it must be 2 o'clock", the storms they have in Aug. last only about 30 mins at most so you have nothing to worry about. Still, a day with rain in WDW, is still better than a beautiful day at home. There is always plenty to do while there even if it's raining. 4 days and counting, this week is dragging on so long!!! :zipit:

Upvote 0

PipersPicksTV

OK - One more take! I agree that the sun makes the park even worse for a bit, BUT rain often makes guests run for cover! My suggestion: Run to the rides :)

Your less than 2 weeks out and no sign of hurricanes - that's a very good thing! We'll be there in mid-August too!

We've been over 30 times and we've been going on Labor Day weekend (with one exception) since 1997. The rain is such a non-issue because, if there is a slow time, it's right around now. Central and South Florida schools start on the 18th. People are running around meeting teachers & getting supplies. It should be great.

I don't suppose getting wet on Splash Mountain will ruin your visit - so don't let the rain bother you! Great time to catch Sunny Eclipse too!

Upvote 0

sweetemotionbab

We're going Aug 10-15 too! We're staying at the Boardwalk for the first time. In my experience it rains just about everyday in the afternoon in the summer, but not for too long. As far as cooling things down goes, I didn't see that happening. We were there the last week in June last year and it rained twice in the afternoon and the evenings were just about as hot.

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom