22 TIVOLI GARDENS, Copenhagen, Denmark 4,110,000
23 EUROPA-PARK, Rust, Germany 4,000,000
24 NAGASHIMA SPA LAND, Kuwana, Japan 3,910,000
25 PORT AVENTURA, Salou, Spain 3,700,000

And here's the article from the Orlando Sentinel:
Attendance at theme parks continues to skyrocket

Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
6:00 AM EDT, March 14, 2008

Central Florida's theme parks saw modest-to-strong growth in attendance last year, displaying resilience within an otherwise softening local tourism market, according to a new report.

The report, produced by a research company and theme-park trade association, concludes that 2007 was a particularly good year for Walt Disney World, a decent year for Universal Orlando and a year of modest growth for SeaWorld Orlando.

The study, to be published today, says that Disney's Magic Kingdom topped 17 million visitors, retaining its title as the busiest theme park in the world. The report also includes seven Orlando-area theme parks among its ranking of the 10 busiest parks in the U.S.

The attendance estimates, produced by Economic Research Associates and the Themed Entertainment Association, are completely unauthorized and unofficial. Disney, Universal and Busch Entertainment do not release attendance numbers for their individual parks, nor do many other companies. But in the absence of any standardized, authorized figures, the annual ERA/TEA attendance study provides the industry's most widely cited gate estimates.

The report has its critics, particularly Busch Entertainment Corp., which owns SeaWorld, Busch Gardens Tampa Bay and eight other parks. Busch spokesman Fred Jacobs said Thursday the 2006 ERA/TEA estimates were almost all significantly lower than Busch's own attendance counts, and that he had complained strongly to ERA about that. Another knowledgeable Busch source provided the Orlando Sentinel with internal 2007 gate counts for two Busch parks that were both higher than what ERA/TEA is reporting today.

John Robinett, senior vice president of ERA, a Los Angeles-based company, defended the report's accuracy and said Busch Entertainment's complaint is a minority view.

The study's overall assessment of 2007: a year of steady business in the United States, where the theme-park industry is mature and stable, but one with widely varied results elsewhere in the world.

"I think it was business as usual," Robinett said. "Orlando did quite well this year. Southern California was a little slow. The Midwest was modest. You add it up, and it was a year of modest and healthy growth, which is to be expected at this point in our industry."

Disney's Animal Kingdom continued to ride Expedition Everest -- its big roller coaster that opened in early 2006 -- to new heights of popularity, according to the report. In 2006, that coaster was credited for driving an 8.6 percent gain in attendance for Animal Kingdom. Last year, the ride and the new Finding Nemo show pushed the park's gate up another 6.5 percent -- the best growth rate in Florida for a second year in a row.

Robinett said that, based on published visitor counts for the Orlando area, its theme parks appear to have had a better year than the local tourism scene overall and showed few ill effects from the weakening economy or high gas prices.

"I think it shows in some ways the parks can control their own destiny," he said of the report, which is being published today in two trade publications, InPark Magazine and Park World Magazine.

Outside the U.S., Robinett said, Europe's theme parks had strong growth, Asia's were weighed down by bad years at a couple of parks, and Latin America's had mixed results. Tokyo Disneyland was the busiest park outside the U.S., with 13.9 million visitors. Disneyland Paris was Europe's busiest, with attendance totaling 12 million.

ERA's sources include statistics furnished directly by some theme-park companies, historical numbers, financial reports, the investment-banking community and local tourism organizations, among others.

Robinett said some companies cooperate with the ERA/TEA effort and express confidence in the estimates. Busch is not one of them.

A Busch Entertainment source, who spoke only on condition of anonymity for breaking with the company's usual policy, said that SeaWorld Orlando's 2007 internal gate count was in the range of 6.2 million, while Busch Gardens Tampa Bay's attendance was in the range of 4.5 million. The ERA/TEA estimates released today report 5.8 million for SeaWorld and 4.4 million for Busch Gardens.

Speaking for those and other Busch parks, Jacobs did not confirm those numbers, but he said the ERA/TEA combined estimate released last year for all nine Busch parks open in 2006 -- 21.7 million -- was more than 1 million visitors less than the company's internal count.

"As far as other companies are concerned, they might be accurate numbers, but I can tell you they are not accurate numbers for our parks," he said.

Robinett acknowledged Busch's complaints but said the easy way to avoid such discrepancies would be for Busch and other theme-park companies to officially release their attendance figures.

"You know how our numbers can get more accurate? If the operators give us a little help," he said. "And many of them do."

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/business/orl-parks1408mar14,0,2085631.story

DizWiz

Original Poster
And here's the top 20 Water Parks:

1 Typhoon Lagoon, Orlando, FL 2,080,000
2 Blizzard Beach, Orlando, FL 1,910,000
3 Caribbean Bay, Korea 1,400,000
4 Wet N' Wild, Orlando, FL 1,370,000
5 Wet N' Wild Water World, Gold Coast, Australia 1,025,000
6 Sunway Lagoon, Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia 995,000
7 Summerland, Tokyo, Japan 921,000
8 Ocean World, Gangwon-do, Korea 900,000
9 Schlitterbahn, New Braunfels, TX 865,000
10 Wild Wadi, Dubai, U.A.E. 845,000
11 Deoksan Spa Castle, Chungcheong, Korea 800,000
12 Water Country USA, Williamsburg, VA 773,000
13 Seorak Waterpia, Gangwon-do, Korea 670,000
14 Raging Waters, San Dimas, CA 650,000
15 Adventure Island, Tampa, FL 615,000
16 Noah's Ark, Wisconsin Dells, WI 561,000
17 Hyland Hills Water World, Denver, CO 558,000
18 Schlitterbahn, Galveston, TX 550,000
19 Dollywood's Splash Country, Pigeon Forge, TN 491,000
20 Wet'N' Wild Emerald Point, Greensboro, NC 470,000

wardpr68

Haha... being a student in marketing I would have to say this is the kind of stuff we talk about when we are learning about dominating an industry.

MousDad

I'm really surprised that Epcot finished below Disneyland Paris. Should I be?

Didn't Paris have attendance problems historically? Or, was that just filling hotel rooms?

Has Paris' attendance been rising? Has Epcot's been falling? I'm just curious.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I'm really surprised that Epcot finished below Disneyland Paris. Should I be?

Didn't Paris have attendance problems historically? Or, was that just filling hotel rooms?

Has Paris' attendance been rising? Has Epcot's been falling? I'm just curious.

Paris never had attendance problems. Since it's first year of operation it was the most popular tourist destination in Europe. The problems were due to over building hotels, and less than anticipated guest spending. Things are now on the turn around though. :)

crazydaveh

I think the numbers are a good sign that tourism is still alive and kicking here in Florida. With the economy in the pits and gas prices getting higher and higher each day, this shows that people are still coming to the parks and helping Florida residents avoid a state income tax!

I'm surprised to see Universal two Orlando parks as far down as they are, but then again, two parks compared to a world is hard to compete when MK is beating US by more than 10 million people!

On a personal note, I'd like to note that I factor in about 200 of those numbers at all the Orlando parks combined!

DizWiz

Original Poster
One Disney park that didn't make the top 25:

* WALT DISNEY STUDIOS, Marne-La-Vallee, France 2,500,000

This attendance total is up 13.6% over 2006's number (2.2 million)

WildcatDen

Being from Ohio, I would be curious to see the same data but under a different set of parameters, say from May through September. My guess is that Cedar Point would be pretty high on the list. I know King's Island would be down the list but it has received the Golden Ticket for best kids area some 5 or 6 years running.

Good to see the Disney machine alive and well. Also happy to know I contributed to those numbers :king:

DizWiz

Original Poster
Cedar Point had 3.12 million visitors in 2007. It appears that Cedar Point is open 140 days a year, for an average daily attendance of 22,286. And Kings Island had 3.05 million visitors for an average of 24,016 visitors per day for the 127 days it is open.

The MK averages 46,740, EPCOT averages 29,945, DHS averages 26,055 and AK averages 26,000.

So, yes, just going by averages for days that the parks are open, Cedar Point and Kings Island do compare favorably with EPCOT, DHS and AK.

Fun2BFree

Woah, Animal Kingdom is catching up attendance-wise on DHS! I'd love to see it surpass the Studios, but with BPB and TSM this year, it looks pretty impossible. :shrug:

WildcatDen

And Kings Island had 3.05 million visitors for an average of 24,016 visitors per day for the 127 days it is open.

So, yes, just going by averages for days that the parks are open, Cedar Point and Kings Island do compare favorably with EPCOT, DHS and AK.

Thanks for the info. I wonder if King's Island may be a little tilted since their Waterpark attendance is (I assume) counted with the regular park attendance (2 parks - 1 price). The Disney Parks are all counted seperate. Not really sure about Cedar Point.

We have had passes to King's Island for over 10 years now. The park opens on April 20 this year for weekends and opens daily starting the week before Memorial Day. We try and make it once a week even if it is only for a few hours in the evening. Got to satisfy the Beast craving.

Michael72688

It looks like DCA took a beating this year, wonder what made this year any different. Universal's parks are pretty low but they have a lot of momentum behind them right now so that should begin to change soon.

PhilharMagician

Here's the Top 25:

1 MAGIC KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA 17,060,000
2 DISNEYLAND, Anaheim, CA, USA 14,870,000
3 TOKYO DISNEYLAND, Tokyo, Japan 13,906,000
4 TOKYO DISNEYSEA, Tokyo, Japan 12,413,000
5 DISNEYLAND PARIS, Marne-La-Vallee, France 12,000,000
6 EPCOT at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, FL, USA 10,930,000
7 DISNEY'S HOLLYWOOD STUDIOS at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena V 9,510,000
8 DISNEY'S ANIMAL KINGDOM at Walt Disney World, Lake Buena Vista, FL 9,490,000
9 UNIVERSAL STUDIOS JAPAN, Osaka, Japan 8,713,000
10 EVERLAND, Kyonggi-Do, South Korea 7,200,000
11 UNIVERSAL STUDIOS at Universal Orlando, Orlando, FL 6,200,000
12 SEAWORLD FLORIDA, Orlando, FL, USA 5,800,000
13 DISNEY'S CALIFORNIA ADVENTURE, Anaheim, CA, USA 5,680,000
14 PLEASURE BEACH, Blackpool, UK 5,500,000
15 ISLANDS OF ADVENTURE at Universal Orlando, Orlando, FL, USA 5,430,000
16 OCEAN PARK, Hong Kong, China 4,920,000
17 HAKKEIJIMA SEA PARADISE, Yokohama, Japan * 4,770,000
18 UNIVERSAL STUDIOS HOLLYWOOD, Universal City, CA, USA 4,700,000
19 BUSCH GARDENS TAMPA BAY, Tampa Bay, FL, USA 4,400,000
20 SEAWORLD CALIFORNIA, San Diego, CA, USA 4,260,000
21 HONG KONG DISNEYLAND, Hong Kong, SAR, China 4,150,000
22 TIVOLI GARDENS, Copenhagen, Denmark 4,110,000
23 EUROPA-PARK, Rust, Germany 4,000,000
24 NAGASHIMA SPA LAND, Kuwana, Japan 3,910,000
25 PORT AVENTURA, Salou, Spain 3,700,000

And here's the article from the Orlando Sentinel:

Compare to 2006 top 10
MK 16,640,000
DL 14,730,000
TDL 12,900,000
TDS 12,100,000
DLP 10,600,000
Epcot 10,460,000
MGM/DHS 9,100,000
AK 8,950,000
USJ 8,500,000
Everland 7,500,000

TDL increased over 1 million guests in 07'. If they get another year like that TDL will be #2.

Monorail

Cedar Point had 3.12 million visitors in 2007. It appears that Cedar Point is open 140 days a year, for an average daily attendance of 22,286. And Kings Island had 3.05 million visitors for an average of 24,016 visitors per day for the 127 days it is open.

The MK averages 46,740, EPCOT averages 29,945, DHS averages 26,055 and AK averages 26,000.

DizWiz, can you calculate for me the median popcorn kernel consumption if average attendee eats 4.3 grams of buttered and lightly salted popcorn? How about average length of churro consumption (in centimeters)?

Just curious :slurp: Fun numbers.

slappy magoo

Gee, and I thought our economy was in a rescession (according to the media)

It is. We are. And while I'm certainly not insinuating that Americans aren't going to the parks, I'd be willing to bet a dollar that a lot of the increase in tourism is based on overseas tourists taking advantage of the pathetically weak American dollar. After all, the dollar is pathetically weak, so betting one isn't such a big deal. :D But because things are so bleak, a Disney vacation represents an escape, so it's the sort of place that won't be as hard hit as other sorts of tourist destinations. I'd be willing to bet another dollar that "escape" destinations like Disney, and cruises and all-inclusive resorts aren't getting hit the way "sightseeing" destinations like major cities are when it comes to domestic tourists.

And while I'm being a betting fool, I'd also bet a third dollar (but that's my last one) that a lot of domestic tourism comes from Americans who would've toured overseas but the weak dollar makes it more affordable to stay domestic. A WDW vacation some people would've planned a few years from now got bumped up because going to London or Paris is just too expensive. Even if the airfare isn't so bad, the exchange rate is murder.

DisneyYorkian74

Magic Kingdom is just a monster in attendance.:eek:

I can't believe the park actually managed to cross the 17 million people mark!:eek:

That's a huge accomplishment!:eek:

DHS and Animal Kingdom also saw amazing gains in attendance.

All 4 of WDW parks are now really thriving...

It's still funny to see the big deal people make of Disney and Universal when they are so completely in different leagues when it comes to attendance.

It's pretty interesting to see that even with the Nemo Subs opening at Disneyland, the park only managed a 1% increase in attendance.

And DCA dropping so roughly in 2007 is not a very good sign... Will that park ever be a success?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom