At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

TheDisneyGirl02

speck76 said:

Paul Borne, 57, a Norfolk, Mass., sales representative, didn't but said he wished he had, after getting sick following a Feb. 28 spin on Mission: Space.

He said he left dizzy, then developed a bad headache that night. The next morning, on the plane home he got sick, tried to head for the lavatory and passed out in the aisle. The flight crew put him on oxygen. When he tried to get up later, he passed out again, and after they landed an ambulance took him straight to a hospital, he said.

After two days of tests the doctors agreed with his assumption that the ride probably was to blame, he said.

"The ride itself? It was wild. It was dizzy. They had puke bags. I would never have gotten on it if I knew it had puke bags. They give you warnings and stuff, but all the rides have warnings," Borne said. "This thing, they gotta close it down."

First of all, they do have warnings about the 'puke bags'. They are called space sickness bags, and you are told about them before you board the ride.

Second of all, I experienced the same symptoms when I visited another popular vacation destination, Pike's Peak in Colorado. I had altitude sickness. I was in the hospital twice in the next two days after going to the top. Should they close Pike's Peak because people, including myself ignored the warnings? No. It was an accident and I strongly believe in those. Don't blame someone else when you ignore the warnings.

That's just my opinion! :animwink:

TheDisneyGirl02

speck76

Original Poster
TheDisneyGirl02 said:
First of all, they do have warnings about the 'puke bags'. They are called space sickness bags, and you are told about them before you board the ride.

Second of all, I experienced the same symptoms when I visited another popular vacation destination, Pike's Peak in Colorado. I had altitude sickness. I was in the hospital twice in the next two days after going to the top. Should they close Pike's Peak because people, including myself ignored the warnings? No. It was an accident and I strongly believe in those. Don't blame someone else when you ignore the warnings.

That's just my opinion! :animwink:

TheDisneyGirl02
you should have chewed on some coca leaf.....(but you can only do that in the mountains of South America).....but it works!

JROK

Two people dead within 10 months is A LOT... I don't care how many people ride M:S each day or whatever, but two people in less than a year is a lot... especially if they die because the ride caused something to happen in their body (not standing up or something like on a rollercoaster, or doing anything wrong besides just riding the attraction normally)... This ride isn't broken and people are dieing on it... It's sad, but I feel Disney needs to take a real hard look at this attraction before somebody else dies... What if I have a heart condition I don't know about... I ride tons of rollercoasters and motion sims and never get sick... but then I ride M:S and end up dead... that's not right... they need to maybe tone this ride down... or possibly close it forever... There's a reason why NASA Astronauts where G suits... maybe we all should too...

disney.co.nr

JROK said:
Two people dead within 10 months is A LOT... I don't care how many people ride M:S each day or whatever, but two people in less than a year is a lot... especially if they die because the ride caused something to happen in their body (not standing up or something like on a rollercoaster, or doing anything wrong besides just riding the attraction normally)... This ride isn't broken and people are dieing on it... It's sad, but I feel Disney needs to take a real hard look at this attraction before somebody else dies... What if I have a heart condition I don't know about... I ride tons of rollercoasters and motion sims and never get sick... but then I ride M:S and end up dead... that's not right... they need to maybe tone this ride down... or possibly close it forever... There's a reason why NASA Astronauts where G suits... maybe we all should too...

The boys death was not caused by the ride. the autopsy confirmed that the condition could have killed him randomly through out his life. and as far as we know the other death wasnt caused by the ride either... bleeding of the brain??? im not a doctor but i dont see how that could be caused by a thrill ride.

Disney doesnt need to take a look just because of 2 unfortunate circumstances that could have just as well happened on any other ride at disney.

I dont agree that they should close it, but I do agree that perhaps they should research a new way to make you feel the same way but not with the side effects.

Captain Chaos

JROK said:

JROK I agree with you.. 2 in 10 months from a ride that triggered their conditions to kill them.. Not the direct cause but the aggravator of the condition...

Captain Chaos

speck76 said:
22942047.jpg

Shall we compare using this chart????

Mission Space: Open two and a half years or so…. 12 reported incidents (been reported that there have been 200 calls for medical attention but we are only using the numbers on this chart)… 2 deaths..

Space Mountain: 5 incidents and 1 reported death…. None since 2005

Wave Pool at Typhoon Lagoon… 5 incidents and 1 death…

Universe of Energy (a favorite of those who support MS and used to support their claim MS should remain pen) 3 incidents 1 death

Dinosaur… 3 incidents and 1 death (attributed already to the man having a known heart condition since he had a pace maker)

Buzz Lightyear… 3 incidents no deaths…

Liberty Riverboat… 3 incidents, no deaths

Big Thunder Mountain (another fav of the MS supports) 2 incidents and 0 deaths….

Spaceship Earth… 2 incidents 0 deaths…

All other attractions…. 16 incidents and 2 deaths…

Compare the numbers… And this ride is safe???? Sorry, but I am really starting to feel like this ride is particular unsafe and a potently hazard to even a healthy person’s health… Disney has a problem and needs to fix it whether you like it or not…. How would you feel if the chart said SITICH’S GREAT ESCAPE 12 incidents and 2 deaths in 2 years… You all would be calling for the ride to close.. Why? Cause you don’t like it… Plain and simple…

I am not calling for M:S to close… On the contrary, I don’t care if it remains open or not… But people want to state facts.. Well the chart doesn’t lie…. Since 2003, M:S is the worst ride there in terms of people seeking medical attention.... I want to see the numbers though from park opening how many complains or how many times medical assitance was called for and how many other people have died on all the attractions so we can compare numbers...

disney.co.nr

dxer07002 said:
JROK I agree with you.. 2 in 10 months from a ride that triggered their conditions to kill them.. Not the direct cause but the aggravator of the condition...

but couldnt any thrill ride aggravate their condition using that logic. there are a lot more thrilling roller coasters and other rides at other places that are a lot more thrilling than mission space that could have aggravated their condition.

christyj

JROK said:

I agree! I shouldnt have to worry about me or a loved one dying on vacation. Any Underlying condition should be diagnosed by a Doctor not an autopsy. I myself do not ride because I READ the warnings, but I still let my husband, 11year old son and 7 year old son ride. I am going to reconsider this when we return in Sept.:wave:

Captain Chaos

disney.co.nr said:
but couldnt any thrill ride aggravate their condition using that logic. there are a lot more thrilling roller coasters and other rides at other places that are a lot more thrilling than mission space that could have aggravated their condition.

Yes, but it wasn't any other thrill ride.. it was M:S... If this happened when someone came off TT then TT would be in the news right now... But it didn't... Just like ToT was in the news, breifly last year when the 16 year old almost died after riding it... And like Typhoon Lagoon and Dinosaur were in the news after the two guests died... Just like the Mummy ride in Universal was in the news when the person fell over the railing in the queue and died... Any attraction this happened on would have been in the news.. The lenght of stay in the news would have been brief.. But because the number of people seeking medical attention after ridding M:S is larger than any other attraction, M:S gets noticed... Sorry, M:S is not getting a bad rap... So, saying it could have been any other thrill ride is valid, but at the same time... M:s in 2 years have received more than double any other attraction in terms of people needing medical assistance.. and remember, the number has also been reported to be nearly 200 seeking medical assistance

Nicole

Obviously we have a lot of members on this forum who were not math majors.

Statistically you are safer riding Mission:Space than you are driving to the parks. A LOT safer.

However, all these scare tactics will work on the gullible, which will mean shorter lines for those of us who know the difference between truth and truthiness.

disney.co.nr

dxer07002 said:
Yes, but it wasn't any other thrill ride.. it was M:S... If this happened when someone came off TT then TT would be in the news right now... But it didn't... Just like ToT was in the news, breifly last year when the 16 year old almost died after riding it... And like Typhoon Lagoon and Dinosaur were in the news after the two guests died... Just like the Mummy ride in Universal was in the news when the person fell over the railing in the queue and died... Any attraction this happened on would have been in the news.. The lenght of stay in the news would have been brief.. But because the number of people seeking medical attention after ridding M:S is larger than any other attraction, M:S gets noticed... Sorry, M:S is not getting a bad rap... So, saying it could have been any other thrill ride is valid, but at the same time... M:s in 2 years have received more than double any other attraction in terms of people needing medical assistance.. and remember, the number has also been reported to be nearly 200 seeking medical assistance

I'll agree with you on that. however you say that "M:s in 2 years have received more than double any other attraction in terms of people needing medical assistance.." that is compared to DISNEY rides not rides from any other park in florida or in the country for that matter. the fact is we dont know how bad M:S is compared to other rides around the country!

I would like to see other theme parks (like cedar point, universal, and some 6 flags) records of deaths and hospital visits to really see what we are dealing with.

disney.co.nr

Nicole said:
Obviously we have a lot of members on this forum who were not math majors.

Statistically you are safer riding Mission:Space than you are driving to the parks. A LOT safer.

However, all these scare tactics will work on the gullible, which will mean shorter lines for those of us who know the difference between truth and truthiness.

at least someone said it, and with a bit of comic relief might I add. The media is the one that blows this out of proportion, the ride is not dangerous and weather or not the people knew about their conditions, it was still not the rides fault, it was the riders.

the fact is I bet there are countless numbers of rides through out the country that more people get sick on then mission space, which is why in my previous post I wondered if we could get our hands on those statistics.

righttrack

The real problem is thrill vs safety that Disney must deal with. Its not a "thrill park" generally, its rides fit people of all shapes, sizes and conditions. People of all ages, shapes, sizes and conditions are going to ride these rides. Disney's reputation is still the highest it can be, its safety is extremely high as well. The fact is that everyone is going to armchair quarterback this and other incidents. They are terrible tragedies. Were they preventable? We'll never know.

Iakona

christyj said:
I agree! I shouldnt have to worry about me or a loved one dying on vacation. Any Underlying condition should be diagnosed by a Doctor not an autopsy. .

Problem is not all underlying conditions are able to be diagnosed without an autopsy or very expensive, specific tests.

wdwishes2005

TAC said:
Now, that's an idea. Those that do plan to ride Mission: Space will submit to an autopsy to see if they might die.
ROFL..... Anyway, I'm shocked more people haven't died at/near MS for the reason of sheer numbers. 12 million people is alot, chances are they could drop dead there just as likely as in their couch, if you think about 12 million people oover the course of a few years you should expect some to die off......

Woody13

Well, I just don't trust Disney to release the true information about injuries on attractions. I have personally been bored to death on CBJ for example.

Captain Chaos

disney.co.nr said:
I'll agree with you on that. however you say that "M:s in 2 years have received more than double any other attraction in terms of people needing medical assistance.." that is compared to DISNEY rides not rides from any other park in florida or in the country for that matter. the fact is we dont know how bad M:S is compared to other rides around the country!

I would like to see other theme parks (like cedar point, universal, and some 6 flags) records of deaths and hospital visits to really see what we are dealing with.

I agree, we don't know about other parks unless we been to other parks.. I been to Six FLags Great Adventure here in NJ and I cannot think of a ride there as intense as M:S is.... So, it is not fair to compare it to other parks. That is why I compared it to other Disney attractions in WDW... I too would love to see a list of other theme park records of calls for medical assitance resulting from riding one of their attractions/rides.... At least we do agree on this subject, somewhat anyway :)

As much as I agree with you on most of this I have to disagree with this comment:

at least someone said it, and with a bit of comic relief might I add. The media is the one that blows this out of proportion, the ride is not dangerous and weather or not the people knew about their conditions, it was still not the rides fault, it was the riders.

We cannot always blame the rider... Again, there are millions of people who do not know they have a medical condition that can be triggered by this ride, or any ride... This logic that it is the rider's fault and they should know better suggests that EVERYONE (healthy, unhealthy, trhose who have undected conditions) should not ride any of these rides...

disney.co.nr

dxer07002 said:
We cannot always blame the rider... Again, there are millions of people who do not know they have a medical condition that can be triggered by this ride, or any ride... This logic that it is the rider's fault and they should know better suggests that EVERYONE (healthy, unhealthy, trhose who have undected conditions) should not ride any of these rides...

I agree with that we cant always blame the rider (i dont know why I said that above), however we also cannot always blame the ride either... it seems that the main argument in the forum today is that the ride is dangerous, but just because it could TRIGGER an unknown condition doesnt mean that the ride is dangerous and or should be shut down. I am positive that while this ride is intense, i doubt that it is the only ride that has the potential to trigger and unknown condition to an unfortunate rider. There are several rides through out the parks that have that potential however unfortunately mission: space, like you said would top my list for having the most.

I also like that we are having a debate that isnt getting steamy like some of the others that go on here;
And that we are actually finding something to agree on without even trying.:wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom