At Disney, Mission: Space spurs most complaints

MuRkErY

To the lay-person that isn't paying 100% attention to each little video screen

If people do not pay attention to the warnings, that is there fault, not Disney’s.

I'm sure the WARNING in big red bold letters is enough to get most peoples attention.

wdwishes2005

dxer07002 said:
10 Serious illnesses which means 10 other people could have died but were lucky enough not to... If these 10 people perished too, then that would be 12deaths in 2 years WAY MORE THAN ANY OTHER ATTRACTION IN DISNEY in 30 years... And just yesterday it was reported that 143-200 people sought medical attention, calling an ambulance.. out of that 143, 10 were serious, 2 died...
i believe the term for that would be life-threating.

Pongo

Let's turn those opaque walls into some thick plexiglass. Show the people what this thing looks like in motion.

Then they'll understand.

Captain Chaos

GothMickey said:
WDWFREAK... Great point...

Did you ever take into consideration that in the back of Disney's minds, (and by that I mean the managers, decision makers, and Imagineers) that they purposely do not show what the ride entails because if they did, they knew the attendance for this ride would be a lot less than it is now??? By saying it is a spinning ride is misleading and therefore leads guests to think it is a hub and spoke ride like Dumbo... which will cause attendance to go up and then the 100 million plus that was spent would then be worth it..

Disney needs to do more to inform their guests of the potential hazards that wait them... They fail in this.. The warning signs are not enough, that is evident already....

Are you trying to say Disney knew they had a dangerous ride on there hands are are purposely deceiving the guests? Most of your posts make sense and I agree, but this one just baffled me. The term is quit while you are ahead.

wdwishes2005

dxer07002 said:
Yes the term would be life threatening.. But do you know if they were life threatening or not?
I believe the article would say life threatening if it was. Remember the news likes to mkae verything sound as bad as possible, if they could get away with life threating they probably would.....

speck76

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
Well at M:S there are computer renderings of what will happen on the outside when the ride begins. And it does show how it spins. This is right before you enter the capsule. Unfortunately most guests seem to chatter on during this and never pay attention to what's going on.

But maybe a more in depth description would be helpful. But I do think that guests are shown what will happen as far as the outside operation goes.

yeah....have Disney give the complete inner workings of the attraction.....because that will keep it magical :rolleyes:

Even if Disney warns the guest even more than now (which is already boarderline excessive), how is the guest going to interpret this info?

The guest that died this time had majorly high blood pressure.....and the sign says that guests with high blood pressure should not ride...but check this out:

Tomorrowland Indy Speedway warning:
# For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

Kilamanjaro Safari's warning:
For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

Mission Space Warning:
For safety, you should be in good health and free from high blood pressure, heart, back or neck problems, motion sickness, or other conditions that could be aggravated by this adventure. Expectant mothers should not ride.

Now....having been on all 3 of these attractions, I am not sure how the standard warning is valid....or if it is valid for all 3, perhaps it is "more important" for Mission Space.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
yeah....have Disney give the complete inner workings of the attraction.....because that will keep it magical :rolleyes:

:veryconfu

Not quite sure why you would be replying to my post.

speck76

Original Poster
Originally Posted by dxwwf3
Well at M:S there are computer renderings of what will happen on the outside when the ride begins. And it does show how it spins. This is right before you enter the capsule. Unfortunately most guests seem to chatter on during this and never pay attention to what's going on.

it has always bugged me that MS does this.....nothing like giving away the "behind the scenes" right before you get on.....

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Has anyone ever thought about the fact events like this have been happening since way back - it`s mainly due to the internet and modern news gathering they are reported so wide spread today? I doubt I`d have known about this if it wern`t for this or other boards; I`d be a happy tourist - one none the wiser.

Without the 'net, how many of us would know about the tragic events of the Anahiem Carousel Theatre killing a CM, the WDW Skyway doing likewise, or the real reason PotC`s duel load was removed?

Sad things like this arn`t knew; we are just more informed today.

speck76

Original Poster
Medical Examiner: German tourist died from bleeding of brain
The autopsy of Hiltrud Blümel showed 'severe, long standing high blood pressure,' Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement released this afternoon.

By Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 14, 2006, 3:27 PM EDT

A German tourist who collapsed this week after riding the Mission: Space thrill ride at Walt Disney died from bleeding of the brain brought on high blood pressure, according to the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner's Office.

The autopsy of Hiltrud Blümel showed of "severe, long standing high blood pressure," Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement released Friday afternoon. There were no signs of trauma, she said.

The official cause and manner of death will not be determined for four to six weeks until results are obtained from tests on the victim's brain, other organs and blood, the doctor said.

Blümel, 49, summoned help at 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, shortly after completing the 4-minute thrill ride that spins up to 160 customers at 2 Gs, twice Earth's gravity, on a mock space flight to Mars, records show.

She died Wednesday at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, according to Disney spokesmen.

Garavaglia's initial findings of "a hypertensive bleed within the brain" confirmed the same diagnosis made by the doctors who treated Blümel.

The death is the second within a year associated with the $100 million ride at Epcot.

Last June, Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Sellersville, Pa., died while riding with his mother and sister. An autopsy showed that he suffered from a rare and undiagnosed enlargement of his heart.

wdwishes2005

marni1971 said:
Has anyone ever thought about the fact events like this have been happening since way back - it`s mainly due to the internet and modern news gathering they are reported so wide spread today? I doubt I`d have known about this if it wern`t for this or other boards; I`d be a happy tourist - one none the wiser.

Without the 'net, how many of us would know about the tragic events of the Anahiem Carousel Theatre killing a CM, the WDW Skyway doing likewise, or the real reason PotC`s duel load was removed?

Sad things like this arn`t knew; we are just more informed today.
Please enlighten me.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
it has always bugged me that MS does this.....nothing like giving away the "behind the scenes" right before you get on.....

Oh I see what you're talking about now. Well it looks like most people aren't paying attention to that anyways.

And I guess since we are going for "training", it doesn't really hurt the theme. But I can see your point too.

speck76

Original Poster
dxwwf3 said:
Oh I see what you're talking about now. Well it looks like most people aren't paying attention to that anyways.
maybe they should give details on how Bre'r Rebbit hops during Splash Mountain.....to keep a guest from being excited to death due to a cool effect...

oh wait....that effect never works anyway

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
maybe they should give details on how Bre'r Rebbit hops during Splash Mountain.....to keep a guest from being excited to death due to a cool effect...

oh wait....that effect never works anyway

I think it was working last summer :lol:

Timmay

speck76 said:
Medical Examiner: German tourist died from bleeding of brain
The autopsy of Hiltrud Blümel showed 'severe, long standing high blood pressure,' Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement released this afternoon.

By Henry Pierson Curtis | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted April 14, 2006, 3:27 PM EDT

A German tourist who collapsed this week after riding the Mission: Space thrill ride at Walt Disney died from bleeding of the brain brought on high blood pressure, according to the Orange-Osceola Medical Examiner's Office.

The autopsy of Hiltrud Blümel showed of "severe, long standing high blood pressure," Chief Medical Examiner Dr. Jan Garavaglia said in a statement released Friday afternoon. There were no signs of trauma, she said.

The official cause and manner of death will not be determined for four to six weeks until results are obtained from tests on the victim's brain, other organs and blood, the doctor said.

Blümel, 49, summoned help at 1:19 p.m. Tuesday, shortly after completing the 4-minute thrill ride that spins up to 160 customers at 2 Gs, twice Earth's gravity, on a mock space flight to Mars, records show.

She died Wednesday at Florida Hospital Celebration Health, according to Disney spokesmen.

Garavaglia's initial findings of "a hypertensive bleed within the brain" confirmed the same diagnosis made by the doctors who treated Blümel.

The death is the second within a year associated with the $100 million ride at Epcot.

Last June, Daudi Bamuwamye, 4, of Sellersville, Pa., died while riding with his mother and sister. An autopsy showed that he suffered from a rare and undiagnosed enlargement of his heart.

Well, that pretty much sums that up. A person with severe hypertension ( probably well above 200 systolic even with meds) and then gets on a ride and then has a hypertensive crisis leading to a CVA...I am sorry folks...but this really could have happened on other rides such as ToT, SM, RnR.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom