Asics Gel Kayano 16

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My old shoes are waaaaay past their best so I just got some Asics Gel Kayano 16. They feel great on my feet, and they'll be going for their first run tomorrow. I'll report back how they go, but so far, purely based on how they feel and fit, I can recommend having a look if you are buying new shoes.

Donald Duck

Tonga Toast Killer
My old shoes are waaaaay past their best so I just got some Asics Gel Kayano 16. They feel great on my feet, and they'll be going for their first run tomorrow. I'll report back how they go, but so far, purely based on how they feel and fit, I can recommend having a look if you are buying new shoes.

I've never had a pair of Asics fit well. However, alot of people at my local running store swear by them. Enjoy the run, and do report back!

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
My first pair of Asics were a bit weird as well. They fit weird. The toe area tapered off and my toes had a lot of room to curl so all the skin on the front of my toes would peel. So weird.

It might have been the model. Ill go to the Asics site and see what this shoe would qualify for (style runner).

Blueliner

I'm a big fan of Asics, I think for the same reason they did not work for you, Joel. I have wide feet, and that roomy Asics toe box feels better to me than other brands.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
I'm a big fan of Asics, I think for the same reason they did not work for you, Joel. I have wide feet, and that roomy Asics toe box feels better to me than other brands.

I have wide fit as well, which might be why I'm drawn to the ASICS fit. I've got 4E width.

joel_maxwell

Interesting. I wouldnt mind trying a different model. I have only owned 3 pairs. Asics and 2 Mizuno's.

I have wide fit as well, which might be why I'm drawn to the ASICS fit. I've got 4E width.
I will say that the Asics I had with the curved front felt VERY fast due to that. Im not sure if it was all in my head.

Main Street USA

Saucony makes shoes that have a very wide base compared to most. My feet aren't wide, but I prefer that nice wide base for stabilization. I'm on my second pair of Saucony Ride 2s. I love 'em.

Phonedave

Saucony makes shoes that have a very wide base compared to most. My feet aren't wide, but I prefer that nice wide base for stabilization. I'm on my second pair of Saucony Ride 2s. I love 'em.

I just switched from Ride 2's to Gel Kayano 16's

I liked the Ride 2's - they were great to run in, but they killed my right knee, which has an alignment problem. Well, not killed, but I would run with a nagging pain. I had about 350 miles on them when I retired them.

The Asics have more cushion, and that seemed to work better for my knee (until I busted it up playing paintball recently)

The Kayano's are slightly heavier, but I don't really notice it.

I am a neutral runner (no over or under pronation) but my arches go halfway up my shins - well not that high, but they are high. I ran with orange superfeet insoles in the Ride 2's and with the Gel Kayano's I am using custom molded insoles.

-dave

joel_maxwell

I am a Neutral to under pronate runner. Although, my right foot likes to run a little more out at a 30degree angle than compared to my left foot. This poses problems at times when my right knee gets fatigued, I feel some tightness and pain in my Lateral Collateral Ligament (at least I think that is what it is). I am still search for that shoe that doesnt cause pain. It is all in the shoe structure obviously. I cant change the way I run. I might try an Asics again next time. I dont recall having this issue before when I had my 1150 Asics.

JillC LI

I used the wear the Nike Air Kantaras and loved the wide toe box until they discontinued them, of course. I switched to Asics Gel Kayano 13s for while and they were OK. But then I switched back to Nike Air Equalons, and I'm happier in those. Roomy and cushy and lots of support.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Loving the Kayano's so far! Did a short 3 mile run in them yesterday and they felt great. I'll see how they go on some longer runs and over the next few weeks and report back.

While we are on the subject of feet, any recommendations for socks?

joel_maxwell

Any familiar with a program that buys back running shoes. I have seen discounts up to 10% off if you bring in your old shoes.

I would like to get rid of my Mizuno Inspires. For a cushioning shoe, they sure dont have much cushion. They feel very hard once I get into mile 2 and up.

slappy magoo

My God, you've set up this website and labored on it for years, dealt with all the grief, the trolls, the backbiting and flame wars, just to shill us some shoes? THE PERFECT CRIME!!!

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
My God, you've set up this website and labored on it for years, dealt with all the grief, the trolls, the backbiting and flame wars, just to shill us some shoes? THE PERFECT CRIME!!!

LOL curses - you found me out!! I'm a secret ASICS salesman! LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom