News Artist Point to become Storybook Dining character experience

asianway

OK? If that's your opinion then you don't remember the old dining experiences very well. They have dumbed down every menu, increased the prices to ridiculous levels and ruined the entire dining experience inside the parks and in the resorts! Except for the fact that they have a captive audience these restaurants would all be out of business.
Not talking cost...because they’re all thru the roof but a few I think are still the same quality wise feel free to tear it apart

Trails end
Hoop
CA grill
Boma
Cape May
Kona cafe
Biergarten

Mostly buffets I guess lol

TrojanUSC

Not talking cost...because they’re all thru the roof but a few I think are still the same quality wise feel free to tear it apart

Trails end
Hoop
CA grill
Boma
Cape May
Kona cafe
Biergarten

Mostly buffets I guess lol

The biggest changes have been to the standard table service restaurants which have gutted the number of menu items, dumbed down what remained all while homogenizing the ingredient sourcing. Wonder why you see the same dinner rolls at 3/4 of the restaurants there now?

As far as buffets, Boma and Cape May have been pretty unchanged as they have a very specific theme but character buffets are an embarrassment. Aside from Tusker House maybe, the food is atrocious. Most things are outsourced or frozen, with little being made in-house anymore.

People joke about Cockerell Fries but it's a true story - prior to 2003, there were like ten different types of French fries served on property. Flame Tree, for example, used to have a great seasoned French fry, while another quick service would have waffle fries, etc. It was a way for the chefs at the restaurants to differentiate their experience from the others. Cockerell learned this and slashed it to like three kinds of fries, which is why nearly every restaurant has the same standard french fry (sure there's various toppings).

Between the Disney Dining Plan and Dieter Hannig, who understood the importance of empowered chefs at the restaurants, leaving the company, it really impacted the guest dining.

Jambo Joe

You're not in the minority at all. From what I saw on Disney's announcement there was very positive reaction to this. Afterall, as Artist Point it was a dining location that seemed prohibitive to many with small humans in tow. As a character meal, a whole new possibilty has been opened to them.

And then there's the adults who act like kids (count me in!) I still don't do buffet lines though... unless there are mickey waffles. (And I'm not a Snow White fan)
Have you been to Boma for dinner? Might change your opinion of a buffet.

note2001

Have you been to Boma for dinner? Might change your opinion of a buffet.
Yup. Kids and I had the flu but didn't know it yet (one of the wonders of traveling in February). We had the worst seat in the house, they squished all three of us in at a 2 seater on the isle, the worst waitress in the house as she didn't bring us water for over 20 minutes, and that's the one thing we craved, and none of the food appealed to us . Now the latter was not their fault, but giving a 9 year old a slab of beef so raw it could have been mooing was the last thing we needed at the table. Left there with $150 bill for water. I adore Jambo & Kidani, but will never pay to go to Boma again.

I love Jiko & Sanna though.

Last edited:

TrojanUSC

Yup. Kids and I had the flu but didn't know it yet (one of the wonders of traveling in February). We had the worst seat in the house, they squished all three of us in at a 2 seater on the isle, the worst waitress in the house as she didn't bring us water for over 20 minutes, and that's the one thing we craved, and none of the food appealed to us . Now the latter was not their fault, but giving a 9 year old a slab of beef so raw it could have been mooing was the last thing we needed at the table. Left there with $150 bill for water. I adore Jambo & Kidani, but will never pay to go to Boma again.

Here's the nice thing about buffets... you can go back for seconds and ask for a more well done piece of beef.

asianway

If the beef is too rare for you the carver will toss it on the grill for you

chrisbarry

Had a huge birthday dinner there this July for my 50th. There were 23 of us dining. They set aside a section in the back of the restaurant. It's always been a favorite and this time was no different. The food was awesome. The service was incredible. I consider this a big loss. Had some excellent meals there.

Surfin' Tuna

Part of me wants to be sad about Artist Point closing, but I think the rest of the posts sum it up well enough. Even if it were to stay open, it would cease to be anything special. As locals, I was, at one time, on a mission to try eating everywhere, so I knew what I was saying when I commented on something to visitors. We gave up on that when we realized they are now all the same. As someone said, you can get filled up on food without any problem, but you will not enjoy the food. Disney has no motivation to change, since they continue to sell the dining plan in advance. You come to WDW, you're stuck, and you've already paid for food. Yay for Denny's quality food without the option of pancakes all day!

TrojanUSC

Part of me wants to be sad about Artist Point closing, but I think the rest of the posts sum it up well enough. Even if it were to stay open, it would cease to be anything special. As locals, I was, at one time, on a mission to try eating everywhere, so I knew what I was saying when I commented on something to visitors. We gave up on that when we realized they are now all the same. As someone said, you can get filled up on food without any problem, but you will not enjoy the food. Disney has no motivation to change, since they continue to sell the dining plan in advance. You come to WDW, you're stuck, and you've already paid for food. Yay for Denny's quality food without the option of pancakes all day!

Yay for all of this.

I will never understand some of these people who pay $50 for a character breakfast at 'Ohana or Garden Grill, then rave about the food. It is literally mass-produced buffet food of the absolute lowest quality. Frozen tater tots! Stale bread! Powdered eggs! It's a massive joke.

At least for dinner you're getting something more akin to a TGI Fridays than a Denny's.

Surfin' Tuna

people who pay $50 for a character breakfast at 'Ohana or Garden Grill, then rave about the food.
We have friends visiting this weekend, and they were talking about the food. The wife said, "I heard Chef Mickey's was good." I just wonder if people who recommend these places just want other people to suffer and waste their money. The whole misery loves company thing. We all have our own tastes and preferences, but I think it's a stretch to say the food is good. Maybe the experience is fun, maybe you love the look on your kids face when Mickey comes to the table, but let's not kid ourselves here.

I didn't see the TGI Friday's thing at first - you're so right! I will concede that some of the better restaurants' dinner menus might equal the culinary heaven that is the local Fridays. Then again, if they would just buy the frozen Friday's potato skins and serve those less people would complain.

TrojanUSC

We have friends visiting this weekend, and they were talking about the food. The wife said, "I heard Chef Mickey's was good." I just wonder if people who recommend these places just want other people to suffer and waste their money. The whole misery loves company thing. We all have our own tastes and preferences, but I think it's a stretch to say the food is good. Maybe the experience is fun, maybe you love the look on your kids face when Mickey comes to the table, but let's not kid ourselves here.

I didn't see the TGI Friday's thing at first - you're so right! I will concede that some of the better restaurants' dinner menus might equal the culinary heaven that is the local Fridays. Then again, if they would just buy the frozen Friday's potato skins and serve those less people would complain.

There's a massive Facebook group which is supposed to consist of "foodies" but it is almost exclusively middle America housewives who do nothing but talk about the wonders of these mediocre restaurants and I simply don't get it. My most recent experience at Chef Mickey's for dinner featured the worst food I've ever seen at a restaurant - Hometown Buffet is literally a category above.

Having said that, there's still some great options at a few restaurants, particularly those where the chefs are allowed culinary control (and budgets). Sadly, even the once-great California Grill has become a bit of a Cheesecake Factory in the sky. Though, I will admit the brunch there on Sundays is one of the best I've ever eaten, though for nearly $80/person it better be.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
There's a massive Facebook group which is supposed to consist of "foodies" but it is almost exclusively middle America housewives who do nothing but talk about the wonders of these mediocre restaurants and I simply don't get it. My most recent experience at Chef Mickey's for dinner featured the worst food I've ever seen at a restaurant - Hometown Buffet is literally a category above.

Having said that, there's still some great options at a few restaurants, particularly those where the chefs are allowed culinary control (and budgets). Sadly, even the once-great California Grill has become a bit of a Cheesecake Factory in the sky. Though, I will admit the brunch there on Sundays is one of the best I've ever eaten, though for nearly $80/person it better be.

1. Not who anyone wants to be getting their dining advice from...they’re feckless and have no idea what good food prep is...
2. Agree...since it’s redo it’s become apparent they “redid” the priorities in the kitchen . In essence - the quality was axed by management mandate. Just like all the rest.
3. The “better” experiences are now in springs - you have to rely on outsourcing and that’s really sad. Disney used to know how to make a great meal...it’s dead from margin shaving and dining plan dilution.

LSLS

2. Agree...since it’s redo it’s become apparent they “redid” the priorities in the kitchen . In essence - the quality was axed by management mandate. Just like all the rest.

Speaking as someone who had never gone before the redo, I was shocked at how the food was. Maybe my expectations were off the charts due to the reviews I had heard, but our app (meatballs) were a bit dry, my steak was cooked fine, and it was good, but it wasn't blow me out of the water good. Desert was really good. But for the $115+ we spent for 2, I expected more.

Same with Boma for that matter. Boma was good, but based on all of the raving people did, it wasn't quite as good as I expected. Honestly I'd take the food on the cruise ships over either of these 2 places. I have nothing to base Artist Point on, but it sounded like it followed the same California Grill model. I don't know, I just want really good places to eat, especially at the price. I agree Disney Springs is the place to go to eat, they have great meals. And they are somehow cheaper as well.

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

Chef Mickey's was good... 10 years ago. The food went into the toilet, figuratively, maybe 6-7 years ago? It's a familiar refrain with Disney dining. Restaurants are good, they started changing things, and ... *flush*. Costs go down, profits go up, and the rubes keep paying.

asianway

Chef Mickey's was good... 10 years ago. The food went into the toilet, figuratively, maybe 6-7 years ago? It's a familiar refrain with Disney dining. Restaurants are good, they started changing things, and ... *flush*. Costs go down, profits go up, and the rubes keep paying.
they brought back prime rib when they relocated to the convention center late last year. Does anyone know if that continued on?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Speaking as someone who had never gone before the redo, I was shocked at how the food was. Maybe my expectations were off the charts due to the reviews I had heard, but our app (meatballs) were a bit dry, my steak was cooked fine, and it was good, but it wasn't blow me out of the water good. Desert was really good. But for the $115+ we spent for 2, I expected more.

Same with Boma for that matter. Boma was good, but based on all of the raving people did, it wasn't quite as good as I expected. Honestly I'd take the food on the cruise ships over either of these 2 places. I have nothing to base Artist Point on, but it sounded like it followed the same California Grill model. I don't know, I just want really good places to eat, especially at the price. I agree Disney Springs is the place to go to eat, they have great meals. And they are somehow cheaper as well.

You honestly can’t trust any dining reviews from Disney fans now...it wasn’t always that way.

I try to be fair with lower expectations due to higher prices inherent...but it’s tough to fight the headwinds of those that conflate “being in their happy place” with eating good food. One does not equal the other increasingly more.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom