News Artist Point to become Storybook Dining character experience

Kman101

The Grand Californian (which visually is very similar to WL) hosted a Chip & Dale critter breakfast from up until a few months ago. It was by far the least popular of DLR's three hotel character breakfasts, with a character lineup that included Koda, Kenai, and then rotating visitors like Baloo, Br'er Bear, Br'er Fox, Meeko, etc. Was it on-theme? Close enough. Did anyone care? No. Nobody wants to meet Koda and Kenai. Nobody. The breakfast changed to fab five in wilderness adventure attire and is now selling better.

Snow White and the dwarfs are extremely popular characters, and as you said, Dopey and Grumpy are now rare to meet, but still popular on merch. This will make Artist Point something it hasn't been in a long time: busy.

Like I said earlier, if this was inevitable I am thrilled a classic Disney IP was chosen and it's not Dinner with Woody's Pixar Pals, which wouldn't have surprised me in the least.

That's true. I really like the idea of a Snow White character meal. It's just an odd place to put it. But I'm not really bothered by any of it, though I agree it's an odd fit, and a stretch, but it could have been worse, as you said. I can definitely see why they did it.

And you made a good point about the changed up Critter breakfast at DL. No one cared and no one went. Now they do.

brb1006

The Grand Californian (which visually is very similar to WL) hosted a Chip & Dale critter breakfast from up until a few months ago. It was by far the least popular of DLR's three hotel character breakfasts, with a character lineup that included Koda, Kenai, and then rotating visitors like Baloo, Br'er Bear, Br'er Fox, Meeko, etc. Was it on-theme? Close enough. Did anyone care? No. Nobody wants to meet Koda and Kenai. Nobody. The breakfast changed to fab five in wilderness adventure attire and is now selling better.

Snow White and the dwarfs are extremely popular characters, and as you said, Dopey and Grumpy are now rare to meet, but still popular on merch. This will make Artist Point something it hasn't been in a long time: busy.

Like I said earlier, if this was inevitable I am thrilled a classic Disney IP was chosen and it's not Dinner with Woody's Pixar Pals, which wouldn't have surprised me in the least.
The characters from Bambi (At at least the only ones left) would make more sense than Koda and Kenai of all things. Currently Thumper and Miss Bunny are the only characters from Bambi that are at the parks. There was a period where Thumper disappared from the parks as a meetable character in the late 1970's. But returned sometime in the 2010's (except for a short period in 2006 when Bambi II came out). He was seen at the WDW Easter Day Parade in during the 1980's and 1990's.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I am going to modify this as somehow I missed that this was for dinner. If it was for breakfast I was all for it. dinner might be not such a hot idea. The idea of using a restaurant that is currently closed for breakfast to add that in would be fine with me and as I said a good use of a restaurant that is being underutilized. Elimination of a Signature Location for dinner? Not so sure on that one. Sorry for the confusion!!! Marie

I asked our waiter if they were closing AP for a “Change” on 8/29 after a typically solid meal...

And he pointed right to the manager and did “he can maybe talk to you about that...” (the waiter was ticked it seemed)

The manager - in non-specifics because it was as it turns out 12 hours before this awful announcement - said that from an individual accounting standpoint they wouldn’t permit them to do a character breakfast and then keep the dinner because the costs/revenue would be so different.

There it is in plain terms: your character meals are cheaper to make and they charge you more.

Anyway...artists point is now officially gone...and so continues the igerian war on individual menus at WDW...he’s like Alexander at this point.

But since they all but (or maybe they did officially?) announce a DVC ontop of River country...this makes even more sense.

No paid for Deluxes left to slap DVC onto anymore...ft wilderness and soon another poly when they move some roads around...

Somebody mark that down and call me an “insider”

And why did they open “geyser point”. Wilderness lodge was way over serviced...in a couple of years and 500,000 points later - it won’t be.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
That's true. I really like the idea of a Snow White character meal. It's just an odd place to put it. But I'm not really bothered by any of it, though I agree it's an odd fit, and a stretch, but it could have been worse, as you said. I can definitely see why they did it.

And you made a good point about the changed up Critter breakfast at DL. No one cared and no one went. Now they do.

The food at storytellers was also awful...that could be part of the issue with a local clientele too?

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I don't know about the buffet part. According to the article on The DIS:
Dinner will consist of a prix fixe menu, including shared starters, a choice of individual plated entrees, and ‘sweet spells’ to top off the meal.
Assuming that information is accurate -- and I have no reason to doubt it since this is based on an actual official Disney announcement -- that doesn't sound like a buffet to me.

That's what Cinderella's Royal Table does. And that's another character dining that has good food and is not buffet.

Not that I'm suggesting this for Artist Point, but it's surprising to me that they haven't put Marvel Characters at a resort restaurant.

Well, Universal does (did?) a Marvel meal in the park.

The Contemporary would be an appropriately themed host for the Incredibles and Big Hero 6.

Kman101

The food at storytellers was also awful...that could be part of the issue with a local clientele too?

I've heard that as well. But instead of fixing the problems, they just add characters and voila, people run to fill the seats and they're making money. I mean a poster in here basically said the food at character meals is secondary (which it is to most, I do believe that). Tells me what I need to know, LOL

It's tough seeing things for how they are when so many don't get it.

TrojanUSC

Definitely miss the sauces but I don’t recall them having 5 meats simultaneously, only 4 until a few years ago dropping to 3.

They’ve rotated thru 6 different options since inception to my recollection

They did. They also used to serve fish (usually salmon), banana leaf wrapped sticky rice and a couple other options.

FigmentFan82

I'll be going to Artist Point in October, and I'm guessing now that'll be the last time. I find it kind of a shame, since I have had very good experiences at Artist Point. It always felt like a hidden gem, but maybe that's why it's going to character dining. More butts in the seats. If the quality of food can remain high then it won't be too much of a loss. But on my last visit there in 2016 we were given that most coveted table right in the far corner by the windows that has the perfect view of the waterfall outside. It was a great meal and a great evening!

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
That's what Cinderella's Royal Table does. And that's another character dining that has good food and is not buffet.

Good food? CRT? Never thought I’d see those two things together without a “not” in there.

CRT is aggressively average food. And when you consider the price point, it moves from average to trash. 🚮

Last edited:

the.dreamfinder

Disney Dining Plan was the worst thing to ever happen to Disney restaurants. By getting suckers to prepay for way more food than they'd eat on their own, Disney can trim costs, homogenize menus and make the whole experience as bargain bin as can be. By turning every meal into a mass-produced buffet extravaganza, your profit margin increases exponentially.

Some friends really wanted a last-minute character meal, so we wound up at Chef Mickey's for dinner not too long ago. My memory of it from the mid-2000s was that the food was pretty decent. I was shocked at what it is now. Other than the carved meats, it all looked like prison slop. Just horrid all around. Even the signature stuff they had for years, like the famous parmesan mashed potatoes, were removed in favor of pre-made nonsense.

Ate at Yachtsman the other day, by comparison, it was pretty good. However the server lamented about how they're one of only three restaurants on property that are allowed to make their own bread. Everything else is procured from service vendors. This wasn't the case 10-15 years ago. Even 'Ohana, which was one of my favorite restaurants, used to have this trio of amazing homemade sauces is now relegating to serving two store-bought sauces, not to mention their menu reductions (five meats to three, removal of the side dishes, etc).
Cockerell Fries

TheGuyThatMakesSwords

I asked our waiter if they were closing AP for a “Change” on 8/29 after a typically solid meal...

And he pointed right to the manager and did “he can maybe talk to you about that...” (the waiter was ticked it seemed)

The manager - in non-specifics because it was as it turns out 12 hours before this awful announcement - said that from an individual accounting standpoint they wouldn’t permit them to do a character breakfast and then keep the dinner because the costs/revenue would be so different.

There it is in plain terms: your character meals are cheaper to make and they charge you more.

Anyway...artists point is now officially gone...and so continues the igerian war on individual menus are WDW...he’s like Alexander at this point.

But since they all but (or maybe they did officially?) announce a DVC ontop of River country...this makes even more sense.

No paid for Deluxes left to slap DVC onto anymore...ft wilderness and soon another poly when they move some roads around...

Somebody make that down and call me an “insider”

And why did they open “geyser point”. Wilderness lodge was way over serviced...in a couple of years and 500,000 points later - it won’t be.

...and this would be my concern about AP Reservations from now, until closing :(. Everyone from Head Chef on down is likely to be perturbed... :(. My Dear Wife & I don't HAVE any outstanding Ressies for AP, as our next trip will be NOV 8, 2018. Right now? I'm really glad we booked Citrico's - in SPITE of the week or so "new reservations available" at AP.

Just a guess on my part? The staff is not all that happy right now :(.
All personal opinion - I'm not necessarily right, no one else is necessarily wrong.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom