Article on Universal-Disney

gbrooks135

My biggest Problem with USF & IOA is that they want to charge for there fast pass, I think it is about $35.00 per person and you can only use it once on each ride. and if you change parks you would have to buy a new one for that park. but right now you don't need them. me and my wife was just at USO the day after thanksgiving and was able to do both parks in one day and that is getting there about an hour after they opened.

TheBeatles

Universal came around at exactly the right time in my life. I was a kid who loved all of the movies that were made into attractions at Universal. What sets apart my Disney experience from my Universal experience is based on two things.

1. I love Disney because I like the idea of the World and I like the fact that although not everything has changed, a lot of it feels the exact same. Disney has that ability to change something and still make you feel as if not much has gone un-changed. They create something new that you will love. There is always something to explore.

2. I love Universal because nothing has changed and every time I go there it feels like everything is in the exact same place it was when I was 6 years old. I'm very nostalgic so this feeling is great for someone like me. Universal is the only theme park where I don't wish a majority of the rides still exsisted.

The problem I have with Universal is that they don't have much room for expansion and thier themeing is so extreme that a lot of new rides are placed in awkward environments. The new rides are not classics and seemed dated today. Who loves 'The Mummy' so much to the point where they used to watch it all the time as a kid or say "I remember when that came out!" The same goes with Twister. I look at USF/IOA as more of a permanent structure rather than a work in progress.

I'm glad I was a USF fan when it first opened. A lot of kids of the future won't really understand how big and cutting edge this place was when it first opened. Nick studios was what made this park awesome to me. I felt like I could relate to it. However, I am older now and when I come to USF it almost seems like a graveyard or a desperate search for attractions of the past that I loved.

tirian

First, I want to congratulate everyone who has been contributing to this post without turning it into a petty Disney-vs-Universal thread.

Congratulations. :sohappy: ;)

That said, I visited Universal for the first time last year. Having driven past it nearly every day on my way to work (at WDW) and seeing the Dualing Dragons coaster towering over the Hess gas station, I was thrilled when someone gave me a comp ticket to "check out the competition."

I wasn't very impressed. My biggest complaint wasn't that "Disney is better," or "Disney characters and shows have more heart," or any other fanboy silliness like that. I hated how dilapidated everything seemed. Sure, IoA looked relatively new, but USF was practically a graveyard. The old Nick studios commanded an impressive corner of the park, and the place simply seems empty without it. I assumed that expanses of cracked cement and obviously faded facades weren't part of the themeing. The roller coasters at both parks were great, but the other attractions were outdated and mediocre. With the exception of a really nice girl at one restaurant, guest service was terrible.

I agree with many of the sentiments expressed here. Universal needs better management, and it needs to be healthy, because strong competition will improve all the Orlando-area attractions. Instead of touting itself as the Anti-Disney, Universal needs to focus on its strong points, namely movies and Six Flags-style thrills. The management needs to realize that the "resort" will never compare to the sheer magnitude of WDW, and Shrek does not compare to the American iconography and culture encapsulated by Mickey Mouse. Universal Studios needs to find its own culture and make sure that everyone in their company gets the vision.

An impression one would not usually get from reading these boards...

Ouch! :eek: After the stupidity brought about by Michael Eisner and Co, I understand why many WDW Magic members are cautious about Disney's decisions. But you're right. Some people simply complain too much!

sbkline

The wife and I did Universal (both parks) on our 2004 off property trip to Kissimmee. We both enjoyed them. However, being a WDW nut, I naturally feel like nothing comes close to the excellency of Disney. I like Six Flags, but WDW blows it out of the water. I enjoyed Universal, but Disney much more. And I say that not because of any criticism I have of Universal, but because I enjoy Disney that much more. We originally planned to do Universal again on our 2007 trip, but that is when we planned to spend 9 or 10 days in the Orlando area. Due to my wife's reluctance to leave the baby that long, we have since shaved the trip down to a week and tossed out all the non Disney days that we had originally planned. But the fact remains that I don't have a big beef with Universal's rides like the author does. I enjoyed it and would be willing to do 'er again. Just not this trip, apparently.

sknydave

I am an annual passholder for both Disney and Universal parks. Certain aspects of Universal bother me. I do not appreciate being bothered to sign up for the Universal credit card so I can get a free tote bag. I do not appreciate being bothered to buy a timeshare while walking up to the que for Jurassic Park. I understand they are trying to create multiple streams of revenue, but it's just annoying.

They really need to add new attractions. It's great to ride the classics I grew up enjoying, but you need to have new and exciting attractions to keep the people coming. They need new shows. The same horror make up and animal tricks shows are still showing. STILL! I'll cut beetlejuice's revue some slack because at least it wasn't there in 1990.

It was nice when they updated HB with the Jimmy Neutron theme, it was nice when they added MIB, it was GREAT when they added the Mummy (even though I loved King Kong.) I really hope they continue to expand because I will be very sad if they close shop.

Cliff

Beautiful article!

I love bashing Universal!

I believe everything in that article to be completely true.

I jest,...I do like Universal mostly for the fact that Disney needs "stiff" creative competition. Universal has made Disney a better company and that's why Disney fans need Universal to be around.

CT :lookaroun

www.whoiscliff.com

Maerj

Yeah, I'm sure merchandising just said one day, "Hey, let's make a knock-off of this one WDW t-shirt!" :rolleyes:

Well sure as heck looked like they did, if it didn't look so blatantly obvious I wouldn't have mentioned it. :rolleyes:

I actually enjoy Universal Studios and wasn't trying to bash but was mentioning some things they should work on to make their customers feel more like guests.

dreamscometrue

I think that Disney, for the most part, has the right idea in terms of keeping (and upkeeping) nostalgic attractions and adding new attractions. Case in point. I was nearly 40 years old before finally getting to WDW in 2003. I fell in love with the place and by next Christmas we will have made 4 trips in 4 years. I offer this information to illustrate how a person new to the WDW experience might view change.

In the three and a half years since we first visited, WDW has already added several new (and impressive) attractions such as Mickey's Philharmagic, The Laugh Floor (soon), Lights/Motors/Action, Mission:Space, Soarin', The Seas w/ Nemo, Nemo:The Musical and Expedition Everest. For a person visiting every few years, these are wonderful new experiences to add to familiar favorites. I appreciate the fact that these new attractions often come as replacements for older ones, but this is often necessary. Everything, even favorites, can become dated. I've been reading about everyone's fond memories of WoL. As a person who has never seen this pavillion, I probably wouldn't find it too exciting. I would like to see it before it closes, but even those who love it have admitted in recent posts such sentiments as (paraphrasing) 'Body Wars just isn't as impressive as it once was' and 'the pavillion seems dated'. For someone like me, I would feel a bit sad that a piece of Epcot history had to go, but would welcome another new attraction in its place. Progress is necessary. Even the most nostalgic would begin to look at their old favorites in a different light as years went on, technology aged and times changed. I think that Universal has simply underestimated the public's need for constant updating.

Shaman

I thought it was funny how he just gave the name of the Mummy Coaster instead of going into detail about it....:hammer:

The article makes a good point though (hence the overall tone of the article). The Universal parks need TLC and management that cares about the future of the parks....like the competition does.

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney ends up being part of some group that ends up buying the Universal parks....cheap....(or maybe they'll take it all for themselves...but why put up with all that added responsibility and cost).

culturenthrills

I think he was def. on target. I think they really have cut back on upkeep to make up profit. However, it is not just Universal but Disney has done the same thing. Been to the Magic Kingdom lately? It has grown old and stale with attractions that have not been updated in years. The Haunted Mansion is in dire need of a major rehab. Space Mt. is a joke. Pirates got an update but they didn't get a new sound system and lighting like there Disneyland counterpart. So while the new scenes look and sound great the old scenes still sound as tinny as it did when it opened in the 70's. Magic Kingdom is a 35 year old park and it is starting to show its age. Universal does alot of things right, there food prices are decent and there counter service food is pretty good(way better than most of Disney's) and they have great special events but I am disapointed with the cutback on the Christmas stuff this year. They need an owner who is gonna put in the investment to bring it back up to standards.

bandtrumpet

LOL i love this, from the website posted above---
FREE EXPRESS RIDE ACCESS FOR ON-SITE HOTEL GUESTS

On-site Hotel Guests receive
FREE Express ride access...All Day Long

Disney's Hotel Guests — No- yea, everyone gets it, its called FASTPASS!

dreamscometrue

I think he was def. on target. I think they really have cut back on upkeep to make up profit. However, it is not just Universal but Disney has done the same thing. Been to the Magic Kingdom lately? It has grown old and stale with attractions that have not been updated in years. The Haunted Mansion is in dire need of a major rehab. Space Mt. is a joke. Pirates got an update but they didn't get a new sound system and lighting like there Disneyland counterpart. So while the new scenes look and sound great the old scenes still sound as tinny as it did when it opened in the 70's. Magic Kingdom is a 35 year old park and it is starting to show its age. Universal does alot of things right, there food prices are decent and there counter service food is pretty good(way better than most of Disney's) and they have great special events but I am disapointed with the cutback on the Christmas stuff this year. They need an owner who is gonna put in the investment to bring it back up to standards.

Magic Kingdom could use some attention, but we must remember that there are 4 parks in which to invest money. The past few years have seen the big money items put into Epcot (M:S, The Seas and Soarin'. Even SSE has a new sponsor) and DAK (Nemo Musical and EE). I'm sure MK will see changes during the next 3-5 years. Most likely there will be refurbs of The Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, along with general upkeep. I'm sure the Disney people have the next 5-15 years somewhat planned.

BTW, I've read in a couple of places that Disney spends $100 million annually on upkeep and repairs (labour included) at The Magic Kingdom. Relative to just about any other park on the planet, it is far, far above and beyond.

Mr Bill

Magic Kingdom could use some attention, but we must remember that there are 4 parks in which to invest money. The past few years have seen the big money items put into Epcot (M:S, The Seas and Soarin'. Even SSE has a new sponsor) and DAK (Nemo Musical and EE). I'm sure MK will see changes during the next 3-5 years. Most likely there will be refurbs of The Haunted Mansion and Space Mountain, along with general upkeep. I'm sure the Disney people have the next 5-15 years somewhat planned.

BTW, I've read in a couple of places that Disney spends $100 annually on upkeep and repairs (labour included) at The Magic Kingdom. Relative to just about any other park on the planet, it is far, far above and beyond.
I hope they spend a little more than $100 a year on upkeep. I spend about that much on keeping up my hair in a year :lol:

sknydave

Maybe Universal should start looking to sponsor money. I think ET is sponsored by AT&T... Can't think of any others at Universal.

slappy magoo

I think one of the strikes Universal has against it is that so few of their attractions are based on what can arguably be called "classics."

It's kinda sad to admit, and it makes me feel old, but the face of entertainment has changed so drastically, and there are so many entertainment options available, that fewer and fewer movies seem able to stand the test of time. We don't all experience the same pop culture the way people did in the 80s and 70s and certainly earlier than that. I'm 37, and my wife, who is only a few years younger than I, hasn't seen half of the movies that Universal rides are based on. And those that she has seen, well, do they stand the test of time enough to make a ride based on them worthwhile? Does anyone look back fondly at Twister? When you go rent a movie, do you ever go "Man, it's been forever since I saw Men in Black, I gotta pick it up" the way someone my age might have once been sucked into renting Caddyshack or Fletch or Die Hard or Nightmare on Elm Street for the eleventy-seventh time? And 10 years from now, will Shrek still have drawing power? Jimmy Neutron? Will they still be resonant to the next generation of park-goers?

It's why, for my money, the strongest area of any of Uni's parks are both in IOA-Marvel Super Hero Island & Seuss' Landing. More than just the quality of the rides for older and younger kids respectively, they're based on characters everyone grows up knowing. Even people with only a passing knowledge of Spiderman, or who haven't read the Cat in the Hat in decades, are familiar with the source and can appreciate the theming as well as the attraction, whereas generations who haven't grown up on Rocky & Bullwinkle, or who don't love Jurassic Park, might enjoy those sections of the park but not that extra attention to detail. The Lost Continent has an advantage of being unique, but that also comes with the pressure of having to be interesting on its own.

NOW, finally, by comparison, look at Disney. For so many American families, buying Disney movies for the kids is as common as buying clothes, and quite often, the clothes have Disney characters on it. Because we all grow up with these characters, WDW almost becomes a place where we visit these characters. It's where they live and where we wish WE could. The level of hospitality helps visitors to truly feel like guests, whether its illusory or not, whereas the level of hospitality at UO feels perfunctory, a duty instead of a pleasure. And the attractions not based on any one film or property have such attention to its backstory and detail, it almost feels familar. No surprise that, after decades of making rides based on movies, Disney is now making movies based on rides.

Furthermore, Disney has licensed some characters that are also arguably classics-like Star Wars, Indiana Jones, the-now-part-of-Disney muppets, and to a lesser extent, the franchise name "The Twilight Zone" and Aerosmith. These are pieces of popculture prevalent enough that we all know who they are, what they do, how they act.

On the flip side, Disney's has tried to develop attractions based on characters who have yet to establish longevity, or might not resonate across the board the way the established Disney classics have. From shows featuring Tarzan to attractions with Stitch, to High School Musical, this is stuff of the moment, but like Universal's woes, will these be anything anyone will care about 10 years from now? When you're spending millions on an attraction based on something with a short shelf life, it could come acrss as more dated than any classic ride in Fantasyland.

I know I've rambled quite a bit, sorry about that. My point all along is that, for UO to become more competitive again, not only are they going to have to start spending money in the parks again, but they're gonna have to spend smart. They need to identify franchises and properties with a strong chance of being relevant for decades and build attractions around them. OR, focus less on the movies or shows they're basing the attractions on, and more on what the attraction itself has to offer. No small feat, in an age when each year can see over 300 movies, and even the most popular has a shelf life as brief as Wonder Bread in a parked car in the height of the summer.

Glasgow

Universal's downward slide makes me nervous because much of Disney's strategy must be directed at countering Universal's success. I hope their poor performance does not in turn affect the way WDW is handling their own future development.

I know a lot of people don't care for Universal but the competition really helps out fans of both Univ and WDW.

hokielutz

I know this would never happen. But has anyone ever thought about what would happen if Disney bought Universal Studios Orlando. This would never happen, but I still find it interesting to think about. For example I think about what uso would look like if Disney remodeled the park and themed in Disney quality and added rides like Tower of Terror. What do you think.

That would be one hell of an investment.... I'm not so sure investors would be happy during the years of retrofitting that park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom