Around the Resorts in 30 Days

MA Screamin'

Mine'll be soon: I'm racing against the clock to complete schoolwork and complete my submission. Wish me luck! Will having no Challenge 1 entry possibly set me back, or is it alright?

jdmdisney99

Superstar Limo
Slide1_zps3f3ec1c3.jpg

Welcome to the all-new Hollywoodland expansion at Disney California Adventure! This revamp will include the addition of a Hollywood Bowl amphitheater, an updated Great Movie Ride (a boat ride), a Brown Derby restaurant, and the spectacular new dark ride, Superstar Limo. Sitting in a comfortable Union station facade, this question begins in the train terminal. Guests shuffle around realistic luggage and ticket booths until they reach the loading area.
Union_Station_Los_Angeles.jpg

The loading area is based on a garage type area where a "road" comes inside the station. Here, guests board onto updated versions of the former limousine vehicles. They now have five rows (with first row holding a "chauffeur") and are painted either black or white. The front windshield is now just a frame as in other attractions and the mirrors are actually mirrors. New, more high tech (thus smaller and more compact) video phones are added in the center of the seat backs. They also have bumper stickers that say Superstar Limo Services: Your Guide to the Stars. Pulling out of the station and onto the street, guests receive a call from J.J. Abrams. He says you are the winner of a sweepstakes to come to the premiere for his latest Hollywood hit. However, the premiere is coming up in a couple minutes and if you want to make it to the red carpet in time, your driver should get a move on. The call ends and the vehicles travel through Anaheim, down Harbor Boulevard. The chauffeur points out Disneyland and asks if guests would like to stop by later. Continuing on, construction is ahead and they must take a detour into Long Beach. Back on the video phone, J.J. warns you that everybody who's anybody is out to see the film, especially paparazzi, and the streets are going gridlocked. After the call, the chauffeur says he knows some shortcuts. The trip continues quicker now along the coast. Soon, the limo speeds onto I-5, which is not moving at all, to solve this problem, your driver pulls off the road, through the brush, and into a back alley. This is a mighty thrill element where the limos seemingly "fly" through the air. Next the cars find themselves at the Hollywood sign. The chauffeur jokes "You wanted to get to Hollywood didn't you? Well, I guess they can't have a premiere on here...HANG ON!" The limo then flies down a dirt road with more bumps and jostled until pulling onto Hollywood Boulevard. Driving past the El Capitan and other Boulevard landmarks, the vehicles come to the Chinese Theater at the end of the street. An Abrams AS (a real one) stands with paparazzi surrounding him, crowding into the theater to see the film. J.J. exclaims that we are right on time and congratulates us. Our chauffeur thanks us for riding with Superstar and to have fun in Hollywood!

Last edited:

Zweiland

CHALLENGE 2: ANYTHING BUT THAT... @Zweiland's SUBMISSION

THE CHALLENGE
Challenge 2
Anything but THAT...

Welcome to Disney's California Adventure! It's gotten some news because of Carsland... But that's not why we're exactly here...

Well, I guess you can call it a car...

That's right! You guys get the
privilege... No, the honor... To bring back Superstar Limo! :D

To understand, I'm going to give you a video of the ride, it only lasted a year (As you can see why)

I'm giving you some help though. All you have to do is use the name and summary of the old ride on the old DCA map, do whatever else you'd like to it.

The summary you have to use is...

"A ride through LA's Starstudded Streets"

Put it wherever! Make a an attraction that Californians will want to ride. Oh, and it has to be a dark ride.

@Voxel 's advantage coming up in next post...

THE SOLUTION
I think we can all agree that the original Superstar Limo (from now on, SSL 1.0) was a terrible ride. The question is, why was that the case? Was it the interior or exterior? The ride system or the story? I thought about that for a while, and I decided that it was a combination of all of those elements:

Percent of the "terrible-ness" of SSL 1.0
Facade- 30%
Interior set- 35%
Ride system- 5%
Story- 30%
That annoying agent who made me want to rip all my flesh off- 372+%

I wanted to fix every single one of these elements, and bring them up to Disney dark ride standard. So I came up with…

SUPERSTAR LIMO 2.0: A RIDE THROUGH L.A.’S STAR-STUDDED STREETS OF TIME!

You may notice I added an “of time” to the description. That’s because it’s a timeline of the history of movies in Hollywood.

You take a scenic drive through the “star studded streets” of the past great films!

OVERVIEW
SSL 2.0 brings back the same basic premise of the original, that you are Hollywood’s newest star. However, this version isn't nearly as shallow, gaudy or self-centered. 2.0 is a celebration of the Hollywood of its glory days. Sort of the DCA answer to The Great Movie Ride. You’ll see how I accomplish that in a bit.

SSL 2.0 will replace… well, I really don’t know what it’s replacing. Some sort of warehouse. Bing maps doesn't say anything about what it is. It will be in the area just west of Monster’s Inc.’s current location.

Superstar Limo.jpg

FACADE
The facade will draw on Beverly Hills architecture. Something like this.

bh.jpg

On top of the building will be a mockup of the Hollywood sign, made to look as if in the distance.

QUEUE
Once you enter the queue, you’ll still be in Beverly Hills. Now, you’ll be outside a mansion.

mansion-2.jpg

Eventually, you’ll wind your way to the entrance of the Chinese Theater.

CA_Hollywood_ChineseTheatre.jpg

Once you go in, you’ll find yourself on the red carpet in front of the silver screen.

Red-Carpet.jpg

PRESHOW
The animatronic audience will applaud as you walk down the aisle. (Since that would be a LOT of animatronics, only the ones on the sides and in the front will have any motion.)

And now comes the part with the rabid sharks and Bob Saget.

Just kidding.

Ahem. Anyway,

An announcer dressed in a snazzy tux steps on to the screen. He rips open an envelope and proclaims, “The award for Best Supporting Role goes to… You!” He points in the general direction of everybody in the audience, to thunderous applause.

An animatronic rushes onto the stage. “Wait!”

“What?” The announcer.

“You! Yes, you! The one who just got that award. Don’t feel too proud of yourself. You’re just one piece in a legacy of filmmaking. I’m not saying you shouldn't be happy. After all, you just made history receiving that award. But you can’t get too self-centered.”

The announcer, beginning to get over his shock, says, “Wait a minute. Who are you? You don’t have the authority to just come up here and start preaching about stuff like that.”

“I’m the Essence of Hollywood! All the great films that were made here become a part of me. Here, let me show you…”

And with that, you are ushered to the loading area.

RIDE EXPERIENCE
As required, this is a dark ride. The ride vehicles are limo shaped. The difference from the original ride vehicles is that these ones can move up and down. By that, I mean that there is a piece at the bottom that telescopes outwards, moving the vehicle up to the 2nd level of show scenes. This allows for a rapid transition.

Here’s a very quick sketch I drew.

Limo.JPG

When you board your vehicle, the screen in front flickers on.

You see the Essence of Hollywood’s face. He says to you, “Now, you may be in a limo, but that doesn't make you the most important person in the world. Show some selflessness for once!"

"The movie business has a long and noble history. The first film made for entertainment purposes was called A Train Arrives in the Station.”

And with that, he starts to take you down Interstate 88 (the year the first moving picture was made was 1888) through the history of film, mostly focusing on the early years. The scenes similar to the animatronic scenes in the Great Movie Ride.

SCENES:

A Train Arrives in the Station
hesketh(8.1950)bank_old1.jpg

A Trip to the Moon
Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg

Charlie Chaplin
images

Steamboat Willie
tumblr_lldjyms1GW1qh3j4zo1_400.gif

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
SnowWhite6.gif

Gone with the Wind
gone_with_wind1.jpg

Casablanca
casablanca_still1942.jpg

Psycho
univ_psycho_frame_c_640.jpg

West Side Story
4938_4.jpg

The Sound of Music
the-sound-of-music-1920x1080.jpg

Mary Poppins
Mary-Poppins-mv03.jpg

Rocky
rocky-training.jpg

Star Wars
original.jpg

Titanic
titanic-movie.jpg

As the limo nears the end of the ride, the Essence says, “I hope you've learned your lesson. You are only a small piece in this memorable era of sight, sound, and emotions. Now, go out there and make history!”

POST-SHOW
You will exit into a gift shop filled with movie memorabilia and merchandise.

stage-one-company-store5-big.jpg

Don't forget to buy your ride photo!

limo_nowshowingyou2001ah.jpg

englanddg

One Little Spark...
I'd also like to mention that with my concept, the monorail would be rerouted behind Hollywoodland.
I think this hints at something that should be addressed for this and other sanctioned tournements...I think jdm should edit his initial post to indicate this (and a great idea!).

So...editing post rules?

In my opinion once you make the initial post, you should not be allowed to change your initial concept, but you SHOULD be allowed to clarify it, add to it, and clean up the presentation until the point of the final deadline. At that point it should be left alone for judgement.

I don't mean to derail the convo, I just know that I like to edit my posts after posting, and I'd like to do so with fair rules so people don't think I'm doing it to improve my "chances"...I'm doing it because my initial post wasn't my "final post", but with the forum editor, it's easier to edit than to get it right "the first time".

Thoughts? Feelings? Should this be in a private thread?

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Also, for the record, I haven't changed my post for this convo due to later posts (check the timestamp)...I just wanted to clarify and come up with something that works for us all.

englanddg

One Little Spark...
CHALLENGE 2: ANYTHING BUT THAT... @Zweiland's SUBMISSION

THE CHALLENGE

THE SOLUTION
I think we can all agree that the original Superstar Limo (from now on, SSL 1.0) was a terrible ride. The question is, why was that the case? Was it the interior or exterior? The ride system or the story? I thought about that for a while, and I decided that it was a combination of all of those elements:

Percent of the "terrible-ness" of SSL 1.0
Facade- 30%
Interior set- 35%
Ride system- 5%
Story- 30%
That annoying agent who made me want to rip all my flesh off- 372+%

I wanted to fix every single one of these elements, and bring them up to Disney dark ride standard. So I came up with…

SUPERSTAR LIMO 2.0: A RIDE THROUGH L.A.’S STAR-STUDDED STREETS OF TIME!

You may notice I added an “of time” to the description. That’s because it’s a timeline of the history of movies in Hollywood.

You take a scenic drive through the “star studded streets” of the past great films!

OVERVIEW
SSL 2.0 brings back the same basic premise of the original, that you are Hollywood’s newest star. However, this version isn't nearly as shallow, gaudy or self-centered. 2.0 is a celebration of the Hollywood of its glory days. Sort of the DCA answer to The Great Movie Ride. You’ll see how I accomplish that in a bit.

SSL 2.0 will replace… well, I really don’t know what it’s replacing. Some sort of warehouse. Bing maps doesn't say anything about what it is. It will be in the area just west of Monster’s Inc.’s current location.

View attachment 37609

FACADE
The facade will draw on Beverly Hills architecture. Something like this.

bh.jpg

On top of the building will be a mockup of the Hollywood sign, made to look as if in the distance.

QUEUE
Once you enter the queue, you’ll still be in Beverly Hills. Now, you’ll be outside a mansion.

mansion-2.jpg

Eventually, you’ll wind your way to the entrance of the Chinese Theater.

CA_Hollywood_ChineseTheatre.jpg

Once you go in, you’ll find yourself on the red carpet in front of the silver screen.

Red-Carpet.jpg

PRESHOW
The animatronic audience will applaud as you walk down the aisle. (Since that would be a LOT of animatronics, only the ones on the sides and in the front will have any motion.)

And now comes the part with the rabid sharks and Bob Saget.

Just kidding.

Ahem. Anyway,

An announcer dressed in a snazzy tux steps on to the screen. He rips open an envelope and proclaims, “The award for Best Supporting Role goes to… You!” He points in the general direction of everybody in the audience, to thunderous applause.

An animatronic rushes onto the stage. “Wait!”

“What?” The announcer.

“You! Yes, you! The one who just got that award. Don’t feel too proud of yourself. You’re just one piece in a legacy of filmmaking. I’m not saying you shouldn't be happy. After all, you just made history receiving that award. But you can’t get too self-centered.”

The announcer, beginning to get over his shock, says, “Wait a minute. Who are you? You don’t have the authority to just come up here and start preaching about stuff like that.”

“I’m the Essence of Hollywood! All the great films that were made here become a part of me. Here, let me show you…”

And with that, you are ushered to the loading area.

RIDE EXPERIENCE
As required, this is a dark ride. The ride vehicles are limo shaped. The difference from the original ride vehicles is that these ones can move up and down. By that, I mean that there is a piece at the bottom that telescopes outwards, moving the vehicle up to the 2nd level of show scenes. This allows for a rapid transition.

Here’s a very quick sketch I drew.

View attachment 37608

When you board your vehicle, the screen in front flickers on.

You see the Essence of Hollywood’s face. He says to you, “Now, you may be in a limo, but that doesn't make you the most important person in the world. Show some selflessness for once!"

"The movie business has a long and noble history. The first film made for entertainment purposes was called A Train Arrives in the Station.”

And with that, he starts to take you down Interstate 88 (the year the first moving picture was made was 1888) through the history of film, mostly focusing on the early years. The scenes similar to the animatronic scenes in the Great Movie Ride.

SCENES:

A Train Arrives in the Station
hesketh(8.1950)bank_old1.jpg

A Trip to the Moon
Le_Voyage_dans_la_lune.jpg

Charlie Chaplin
images

Steamboat Willie
tumblr_lldjyms1GW1qh3j4zo1_400.gif

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
SnowWhite6.gif

Gone with the Wind
gone_with_wind1.jpg

Casablanca
casablanca_still1942.jpg

Psycho
univ_psycho_frame_c_640.jpg

West Side Story
4938_4.jpg

The Sound of Music
the-sound-of-music-1920x1080.jpg

Mary Poppins
Mary-Poppins-mv03.jpg

Rocky
rocky-training.jpg

Star Wars
original.jpg

Titanic
titanic-movie.jpg

As the limo nears the end of the ride, the Essence says, “I hope you've learned your lesson. You are only a small piece in this memorable era of sight, sound, and emotions. Now, go out there and make history!”

POST-SHOW
You will exit into a gift shop filled with movie memorabilia and merchandise.

stage-one-company-store5-big.jpg

Don't forget to buy your ride photo!

limo_nowshowingyou2001ah.jpg
Multilevel is so interesting!

englanddg

One Little Spark...
Superstar Limo
Slide1_zps3f3ec1c3.jpg

Welcome to the all-new Hollywoodland expansion at Disney California Adventure! This revamp will include the addition of a Hollywood Bowl amphitheater, an updated Great Movie Ride (a boat ride), a Brown Derby restaurant, and the spectacular new dark ride, Superstar Limo. Sitting in a comfortable Union station facade, this question begins in the train terminal. Guests shuffle around realistic luggage and ticket booths until they reach the loading area.
View attachment 37607
The loading area is based on a garage type area where a "road" comes inside the station. Here, guests board onto updated versions of the former limousine vehicles. They now have five rows (with first row holding a "chauffeur") and are painted either black or white. The front windshield is now just a frame as in other attractions and the mirrors are actually mirrors. New, more high tech (thus smaller and more compact) video phones are added in the center of the seat backs. They also have bumper stickers that say Superstar Limo Services: Your Guide to the Stars. Pulling out of the station and onto the street, guests receive a call from J.J. Abrams. He says you are the winner of a sweepstakes to come to the premiere for his latest Hollywood hit. However, the premiere is coming up in a couple minutes and if you want to make it to the red carpet in time, your driver should get a move on. The call ends and the vehicles travel through Anaheim, down Harbor Boulevard. The chauffeur points out Disneyland and asks if guests would like to stop by later. Continuing on, construction is ahead and they must take a detour into Long Beach. Back on the video phone, J.J. warns you that everybody who's anybody is out to see the film, especially paparazzi, and the streets are going gridlocked. After the call, the chauffeur says he knows some shortcuts. The trip continues quicker now along the coast. Soon, the limo speeds onto I-5, which is not moving at all, to solve this problem, your driver pulls off the road, through the brush, and into a back alley. This is a mighty thrill element where the limos seemingly "fly" through the air. Next the cars find themselves at the Hollywood sign. The chauffeur jokes "You wanted to get to Hollywood didn't you? Well, I guess they can't have a premiere on here...HANG ON!" The limo then flies down a dirt road with more bumps and jostled until pulling onto Hollywood Boulevard. Driving past the El Capitan and other Boulevard landmarks, the vehicles come to the Chinese Theater at the end of the street. An Abrams AS (a real one) stands with paparazzi surrounding him, crowding into the theater to see the film. J.J. exclaims that we are right on time and congratulates us. Our chauffeur thanks us for riding with Superstar and to have fun in Hollywood!
You always have the best layout graphics! Very interesting concept!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom