Ariel's Undersea Adventure to be a submarine ride?

Sumshine 904

Original Poster
My sister and her husband told me they read in a DVC magazine that The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Undersea Adventure would be a submarine ride similar to that of Disneyland's Nemo and our previous 20k Leagues. I've always thought and read elsewhere that it was going to be a dark ride... could someone please either confirm or deny this? Or even just elaborate? :confused:

Castle Cake Apologist

It's pretty well established that it is a dark ride, featuring an omnimover ride system similar to Haunted Mansion. The ride vehicles will be shaped like clams, much like Nemo at Epcot.

TLM is being built on the former 20k site... perhaps that is what caused the confusion?

Sumshine 904

Original Poster
It's pretty well established that it is a dark ride, featuring an omnimover ride system similar to Haunted Mansion. The ride vehicles will be shaped like clams, much like Nemo at Epcot.

TLM is being built on the former 20k site... perhaps that is what caused the confusion?

That's what I thought, too. But they told me that they were originally going to have a Nemo Submarine Voyage here, but to differentiate the parks they went with a Little Mermaid theme. :shrug: My parents and I don't get the DVC magazines, so I honestly wouldn't know for sure.

Castle Cake Apologist

That's what I thought, too. But they told me that they were originally going to have a Nemo Submarine Voyage here, but to differentiate the parks they went with a Little Mermaid theme. :shrug: My parents and I don't get the DVC magazines, so I honestly wouldn't know for sure.

Well, considering that TLM ride is a carbon copy of a ride opening at Disneyland Resort several months earlier... I'm not sure how that theory works lol.

Disneyland's FNSV is really just a plussed up version of our Nemo ride at Epcot, which opened first.

jjharvpro

The Little Mermaid attraction will for sure be a dark ride, yes, as stated earlier, with the Omnimover system. The artwork proves that.

Sumshine 904

Original Poster
Well, considering that TLM ride is a carbon copy of a ride opening at Disneyland Resort several months earlier... I'm not sure how that theory works lol.

Disneyland's FNSV is really just a plussed up version of our Nemo ride at Epcot, which opened first.

I meant that it'd have been a copy of Finding Nemo, only with TLM instead. :lol:

The Little Mermaid attraction will for sure be a dark ride, yes, as stated earlier, with the Omnimover system. The artwork proves that.

Okay, thank you. :wave:
I knew it was a dark ride, I just wanted confirmation.

Lee

Adventurer
Wow...
The Mermaid ride was never, ever, going to be a submarine ride. Never even considered.

Also, by the time DL got Nemo, the MK's lagoon had been filled in for years. There was never any concern about having two similar sub rides.

brkgnews

Presuming they're referring to Disney Files magazine, I'm not seeing anything about subs, but there is an interesting note that since Ariel's hair is supposed to behave like it's underwater, her hair will be animatronic, too. As in, her hair will be animated.

RSoxNo1

You`re not serious are you??

I actually agree with DisneyExpert. Submarine Voyage is a better attraction - but I was never much for the original subs. To me, the required wait time for Disneyland's Submarine Voyage makes the overall experience worse than The Seas with Nemo and Friends.

TP2000

The length better be decent.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland is a very long ride, second only to Pirates of the Caribbean. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has a trip time of 14.5 minutes, about one minute shorter than Disneyland's Pirates.

Here's a good POV video of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, although YouTube can never do a ride justice, but it gives you an idea... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIme0dgocaw

The Omnimover ride at The Seas with Nemo and Friends has a trip time of 5 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctehvUWcrBw

The Little Mermaid ride is reported to be about six minutes long. Al Lutz on Miceage has said it will soft-open at DCA about four months from now, in April, 2011. It's won't be long until we know for sure the ride time for Mermaid, but it looks about six minutes long.

JimboJones123

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage at Disneyland is a very long ride, second only to Pirates of the Caribbean. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage has a trip time of 14.5 minutes, about one minute shorter than Disneyland's Pirates.

Here's a good POV video of Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, although YouTube can never do a ride justice, but it gives you an idea... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIme0dgocaw

The Omnimover ride at The Seas with Nemo and Friends has a trip time of 5 minutes. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ctehvUWcrBw

The Little Mermaid ride is reported to be about six minutes long. Al Lutz on Miceage has said it will soft-open at DCA about four months from now, in April, 2011. It's won't be long until we know for sure the ride time for Mermaid, but it looks about six minutes long.

The ride time on DL subs makes it easily one of the greatest attractions in the park.

Yensid40

I would say that the show building construction thus far would also prove that it is not going to be a Submarine Voyage type ride.

TP2000

The ride time on DL subs makes it easily one of the greatest attractions in the park.

I agree. It's really a very dramatic and unique attraction experience, from the time that hatch opens and you clamber down the stairs into that narrow submarine and flip down your seat, to the time that hatch pops open dripping wet 16 or 17 minutes later and the sunshine pours in.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage vehicle cabin
070604-finding-nemo-submarine-voyage-interior.jpg

Now, that's not to say I don't very much enjoy the Nemo Omnimover ride at The Seas, and the projections on the aquarium glass at the end are particularly witty and impressive. It's a ride I don't pass up when at Epcot, after years of passing up the tired old Seas pavilion in its 1990's neutered state. But it's just two very different rides offering different experiences that happen to share the same Characters and some of the same dialogue. Not to mention one ride is about three times longer than the other one. :cool:

As for Little Mermaid, I do wonder how a ride time of around six minutes will play to today's audiences. Is that a right amount of time to immerse folks into the story and environment of a rather lavish attraction? Is a six minute long ride in 2011 equivalent to a 12 minute long ride in 1970, due to changes in the audience?

the-reason14

I don't know what it is about the Epcot nemo ride, but it is one I'll rank the lowest in all of WDW. It's not bad, it's just something kinda cheap about it I guess. Maybe because it's just screens and you're facing one direction the whole time, but sometimes thinking about riding it is similar to star tours in that it's a job rather than something I'd want to do.

JimboJones123

I agree. It's really a very dramatic and unique attraction experience, from the time that hatch opens and you clamber down the stairs into that narrow submarine and flip down your seat, to the time that hatch pops open dripping wet 16 or 17 minutes later and the sunshine pours in.

Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage vehicle cabin
070604-finding-nemo-submarine-voyage-interior.jpg

Now, that's not to say I don't very much enjoy the Nemo Omnimover ride at The Seas, and the projections on the aquarium glass at the end are particularly witty and impressive. It's a ride I don't pass up when at Epcot, after years of passing up the tired old Seas pavilion in its 1990's neutered state. But it's just two very different rides offering different experiences that happen to share the same Characters and some of the same dialogue. Not to mention one ride is about three times longer than the other one. :cool:

As for Little Mermaid, I do wonder how a ride time of around six minutes will play to today's audiences. Is that a right amount of time to immerse folks into the story and environment of a rather lavish attraction? Is a six minute long ride in 2011 equivalent to a 12 minute long ride in 1970, due to changes in the audience?

I just hope it doesn't end up like Monsters Inc, which need up being pretty rejected by the DL crowds.

It is a good ride, but adding 4-5 high quality AAs instead of 1-2 motion characters really drag the attraction down.

ob1thx1138

I know for a fact that the epcot Nemo ride can and will last 15 minutes on occasion..... and I will never get those 15 minutes back but fortunately my counselor says I am improving......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom