Arguement in the parking lot

kcnole

I've had this happen to us before. My wife is 25 years old and doesn't look disabled in any way unless you look closely, but she cannot walk long distances at all. We've had more than our fair share of comments from the self labeled handicap police. It really is quite hurtful. Trust me that she'd rather not have to use the spots, but having to use them and then being yelled at like that just makes it worse.

So I understand the disdane for those who park in those spots who shouldn't be there, but please, be aware that not everyone who is handicapped looks handicapped.

RiversideBunny

Well....are you green and sour? :lookaroun

Sounds like the Royal Navy was rather smart to prevent scurvy,
which is caused by the lack of vitamin C.

Slang

[edit] Limey

Limey is an old American and Canadian slang nickname for the British, originally referring to British sailors. The term is believed to derive from lime-juicer, referring to the Royal Navy and Merchant Navy practice of supplying lime juice to British sailors to prevent scurvy in the 19th century.

JimboJones123

Guess that will show you for having your parents go to a hospital that had a flag with only stripes and not stars on it??? Being mad at people from other countries is a VERY SPECIAL THING! I know when I flash back at the end of my life and at what I contributed, the thing that will seperate from the other 90 % of the planet will be that I had parents that happened to live in the United States. Because if it wern't for that I thing my life would be pointless and I would have been much better off slitting my wrists long ago.

I hate people from other countries, especially ones that have lower crime and poverty rates than the state I live in. Remember, he does have to live with himself. That's punishment enough.

Nut4Disney

I honestly don't know what is wrong with people these days. You sound like you had every right to park there, and that guy has issues. Let me tell you about something that happened the night before our last trip in Feb. I was at Walgreens with my wife. She walked in to pick up a prescription and I stayed in the car with our 2 small children. Well, this punk and his girlfriend pull up and park in the handicapped spot right in front of the door, and they have no handicapped plaque in his window and are not in the least bit handicapped (I know that you can't always tell, but they weren't). She got out and went in, and he sat in the car on his phone flicking his cigarette butts out the window (don't even get me started on that). I'm debating on whether to say anything to him, as there is a normal space next to him and behind him. I keep my mouth shut and his friend walks back out and gets in the car and they start to leave. They must have messed up the prescription she got, because they pull around the building again and park in the same handicapped spot. At this point I get out and walk over to him and say "I guess you know that is a handiacapped spot you parked in right? He says " Yeah, I know, why don't you mind your own F***&%$ business, I don't really care". I was like OK, this guy is a bigger jerk than I thought. I say "There are 2 parking space right next to you that you could park in, what if someone that really was handicapped needed that space." He then gets out of his car and gets in my face wanting me to fight him. I have 2 small kids in the car who are now crying and we are leaving the next morning to go to WDW, so as much as I wanted to knock the guy to the ground (and I'm a pretty big guy), I just pulled out my cell phone and walked back to the back of his car and got his license plate number. He said "Call the cops, do you think I care." I said "You're pathetic", and he drove off. Another instance happened this morning, leaving our neighborhood as I took the kids to daycare. Someone totally blows through a stop sign, so I honk my horn at him and he flips me off and wants me to pull over so he can curse me out ,when he is the one at fault. I really don't understand what makes some people so angry and hostile all of the time.

Piebald

Guests are VERY rude when they see another guest who is disabled yet they cannot tell right off the bat. I had one kid in a stroller (being used as a wheelchair as the tag indicates) and then some ed off came up screaming saying that HER child was sleeping in the stroller and why can't THEY come in if the "deformed" kid could? I just walked away. Going to Disney for free when I'm bored is too cool to lose for punching someone in the chest.

Sadly, the guy you ran into isn't exactly "one in a million" like people have been stating. There are a ton of these a-holes around in the parks.

It's also very typical of security to let him park as from my observations Disney tries VERY VERY hard to avoid any confrontation with a rude guest. Unless they do something absolutely horrific or endanger other people, with enough complaints they can get a ton of free stuff even. :shrug:

Cynderella

:eek: What a D**K! :lookaroun It's a shame people get nastier and nastier at the happiest place on earth. It's just not like it used to be anymore.

C&D

All seriousness aside, that was a pretty funny story. :animwink: (I'm sure it wasn't at the time)

Truly a non discriminatory bunch; Jerks.

figment1985

Guests are VERY rude when they see another guest who is disabled yet they cannot tell right off the bat..

There are just too many uneducated people that they think you have to be in a wheel chair or walk with a cane to be considered handicapped! :mad:

to the original poster, you should have been like, "WELL LET ME TELL YOU SOMETHING, my FISTS SURE AREN'T HANDICAPPED!" ;) Oh and by the way, the only reason I suggest violence is because this guy you ran into apparently cannot comprehend sentences, maybe he was still shell-shocked, who knows?:hammer:

Glasgow

It bothers me that I'm not surprised at all with this behavior. The way some people act these days is shocking. It really makes you appreciate when someone does something nice though ..

tink81

Ugh, :rolleyes: what would compel someone to be such a ________ to a complete stranger? Furthermore, why do people enjoy talking about American/British foreign policy while on vacation in Disney World? Every trip since 2003 has been marred with nasty comments from both sides of the pond in the middle of the queue (once at HM, once at AA, and twice at Star Tours). I have seen grown men (and women) launch into verbal tyrades with other guests and in front of their children!

I am so sorry that your vacation got off to such a rotten start, and please don't think that all Americans are that ridiculous or think the parks are actually "ours."

The Mom

Premium Member
Couldn't have said it better myself, and I am also sorry you had to deal with this guy. We're really not all that way over here - sometimes it just seems that way. :)

Not only did you do nothing wrong, you were doing the right thing. Having your parking credentials on the dash or hanging from the mirror while driving is actually a safety issue since they can block your view of the road.

Regardless of whether this guy had his credentials on his plate or not, he had absolutely no right to treat you the way he did.

Exactly. As I recall, the one I had (for my mother) specifically told you not to drive with it hanging on your mirror.

And as someone (knicole?) mentioned, a person can ambulate very differently at the start of visit than when returning to the car. I finally went out and bought my late mother a wheelchair to use in conjunction with her walker, because she could go along fine, then run out of steam. It just made it easier if I had a wheelchair close by.

Agent1964fem

I'm not sure on this one but..you did alot better then I would of...trust me.
I agree with the one person the saying he had mental issues ...
Mine would be he's bi-polar :D

Wilderness Lodge 1997
Caribbean Beach 2003
Port Orleans - Riverside 2005
Wilderness Lodge 2007

figment1985

I'm not sure on this one but..you did alot better then I would of...trust me.
I agree with the one person the saying he had mental issues ...
Mine would be he's bi-polar :D

If we are going to get technical, I would say he was more of a sociopath rather than bi-polar. It sounded like the guy was a jerk throughout.

But yeah, I agree with what Nut4Disney said, British people are wonderful, and I am happy that they get free dining so more will come to Disney World and maybe MORE ignorant discriminating geezers will stay home!:sohappy:

MonkeyHeadCup

That guy must have been a flaming ball of untamed rage by the time he walked through all of World Showcase...what a nightmare that must have been for him... all those horrible countries... the horrible smiling friendly people from foreign lands... must.... make... it ... to.... the .... American.... Experience......ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH !!!!!!!

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
There are loads of people who just don't "get it".

Handicap parking permits are considered "universal", if it's valid where you live, it's valid anywhere. Many years ago, North American jurisdictions tried to standardize the requirements for and display of permits... It never really worked :shrug:

I have a permit for what would be considered an "invisible" handcap. Most days I walk with a barely noticeable limp, but on a bad day I can barely walk at all. I always get challenged by passersby because at 6'3" and 250+lbs, I don't look qualified... Then people see my hands [both partially amputated] and immediately apologize for challenging me :rolleyes: [no-one gets a handicap permit based on hand problems, they're issued for walking-related problems :lol:] I used to try explaining the concept, but I've given up...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom