Are you D23?

bigkidz895

Original Poster
There seems to be much buzz about D23. Perhaps this might be a good place to discuss the pros and cons of membership.

As for me - my wife bought a membership for me, she's incredible and I'm so blessed to have her as my wife!!!

However, as far as I can tell, it seems to be a marketing ploy to garner more money from Disney fanatics like us. Am I missing something?
:shrug:​

EpcotServo

However, as far as I can tell, it seems to be a marketing ploy to garner more money from Disney fanatics like us. Am I missing something?

The short answer? You hit the nail right in the head.
:lol:

It looks nice on the outside, but it's exclusionary nature don't sit right with me.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
It's a marketing campaign that has some unique benefits. Whether it's worth it depends on the value you place on its exclusiveness and benefits vs its cost.

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
The short answer? You hit the nail right in the head.

It looks nice on the outside, but it's exclusionary nature don't sit right with me.

It's no more exclusionary than the parks themselves... Anybody who can afford it can get in. :shrug:

EPCOT Explorer

There seems to be much buzz about D23. Perhaps this might be a good place to discuss the pros and cons of membership.

As for me - my wife bought a membership for me, she's incredible and I'm so blessed to have her as my wife!!!

No, I am D64.:wave:

My good friend, Servo, has the right idea. I think it is nothing spectacular, as it seems you are paying for shopping privileges on a online mall and a "Magazine" that offers no real news. It does look nice, though.:)

rsoxguy

D23 reminds me of the official "Red Sox Nation". You pay to be an official fan of the team, with perks according to the level of money you are willing to pay. I've been a fan of the team since I could pronounce their name. I don't have a need to join a club in order to feel a sense of belonging. The words lifelong and die-hard should suffice. Similarly, I feel no need to join a Disney club with trivial benefits attached in order to experience some sense of satisfaction in my enjoyment of WDW. To each his own on this one, but its just not for me.

EpcotServo

It's no more exclusionary than the parks themselves... Anybody who can afford it can get in. :shrug:

And I think that's it's not worth it. Seriously. $80+ dollars a day is incredibly extreme. Heck, I'm having to work to get a JOB WORKING at Disney just to GET IN, because Admission is now so prohibitive, even for someone who's spent their entire life as a Passholder. Pricing on both D23 and the parks are outrageous if you ask me.
:shrug:

luvlifeinfl

oh I so agree w/ you, rsoxguy, becasue when we all meet our maker they are not going to ask if we were part of this D23, unless Walt is the gate watcher.:rolleyes:

EPCOT Explorer

D23 reminds me of the official "Red Sox Nation". You pay to be an official fan of the team, with perks according to the level of money you are willing to pay. I've been a fan of the team since I could pronounce their name. I don't have a need to join a club in order to feel a sense of belonging. The words lifelong and die-hard should suffice. Similarly, I feel no need to join a Disney club with trivial benefits attached in order to experience some sense of satisfaction in my enjoyment of WDW. To each his own on this one, but its just not for me.

FANTASTICALLY said!:sohappy::sohappy:

The bolded hits home, the most. Almost makes D23 seem like a placebo for those that "want" to fit in, because they, for whatever reason, don't feel like they do based on experiences, or what have you.:shrug:

And that takes care of my social psychology for the night...:lookaroun

EPCOT Explorer

oh I so agree w/ you, rsoxguy, becasue when we all meet our maker they are not going to ask if we were part of this D23, unless Walt is the gate watcher.:rolleyes:

Who said anything about it being anything like that?:rolleyes::lol:

Does it mater? No. Does it count toward yourself? No.

Is it "exclusive and off putting" for some, yes.:wave:

Don't see how this was misconstrued...

brkgnews

this-will-not-end-well.jpg

SweetMagic

Oh Meyla Weyla
FANTASTICALLY said!:sohappy::sohappy:

The bolded hits home, the most. Almost makes D23 seem like a placebo for those that "want" to fit in, because they, for whatever reason, don't feel like they do based on experiences, or what have you.:shrug:

And that takes care of my social psychology for the night...:lookaroun

Do what?

So, I joined D23 because it was the only way I could "fit in"?

Wow.

:dazzle:

Disneyguy57

Unfortunately it seems that there aren't enought benefits to warrent the price of membership. If they offered discounts, early Adr's, or anything worth while I think it would have a lot more fans clammoring to be a part of it.

The magazine itself is nice, I purchased the premiere issue seperately just to have as a keepsake.

EPCOT Explorer

Do what?

So, I joined D23 because it was the only way I could "fit in"?

Wow.

:dazzle:

Not at all.:wave: Or, not in most cases...

I'm just saying that it takes the whole "You are a fan because you payed" ideal riiiiight to the people who need it. I'm thinking that the sense of community and the "perks" work in that fashion for those who want to be a part of the fanbase.

brkgnews

If they offered discounts, early Adr's, or anything worth while I think it would have a lot more fans clammoring to be a part of it.

... and a lot more people griping that it's an elitist, exclusionary, pay-to-play venture.

You cannot please the fans. They refuse to be placated.

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
I paid my $75. I haven't bought a single thing from the online shop. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth via the magazines with excellent articles, the lil extras that come along with the magazines, and the possibilities of attending events on either coasts. :shrug:

brkgnews

I just find it amazing that we expect a fanbase who will engage in flamewars over chipped paint on a lamp post or the the placement of a french fry cart to come to a logical consensus on whether a paid fan club is a good thing.

This conversation can serve no further purpose.
hal.jpg

EPCOT Explorer

... and a lot more people griping that it's an elitist, exclusionary, pay-to-play venture.

You cannot please the fans. They refuse to be placated.
I'd be placated it it offered something unique and worthwhile.:shrug::lol:

Until then, the right to my opinion, and my basis in it, stands.

I just find it amazing that we expect a fanbase who will engage in flamewars over chipped paint on a lamp post or the the placement of a french fry cart to come to a logical consensus on whether a paid fan club is a good thing.

This conversation can serve no further purpose.
hal.jpg
:lol::lol: for Hal...

I think a paying Fanclub is a great thing. The Magic Kindgom Club and the other smaller venues they did early on were nice.

In fact, what they are doing now, even with D23, is a good thing. I love the fact that they are using it as a mass communication tool, I love the fact that the expo will blaze a new path (at least for us!) on what they hope to do in the coming years.

It's improved since it's stumbling debut. The only gripe, is the attitude that comes with it, and the fact that it is, tangibly, paying to go shopping.

C'mon, Jackie...:D:D You know me... I only seek improvement. ;)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom