Are we just spoiled?

Br0ckford

Maybe - just maybe - they’ll realise “More Disney” doesn’t always mean “more Diznee“
How about
FB_IMG_1663084871850.jpg

jloucks

Crowd levels were high
Attractions closed and used to distribute candy
PotC “plusses” were not notable. I will say that the HM “plusses” were nicely done.
Splash Mountain closed
Limited dining options outside of quick service
Thanks. All very valid criticisms. Especially that first one.

Raidermatt

Disney seems to view park investment as a bandaid. They stagnate, then when forced into it they invest in some new projects and then expect to sit back and reap rewards while they stagnate again. The major change over the last 10-15 years is Universal has actually been investing at a robust pace, which is part of what forced Disney to react. But it certainly appears Disney wants to move into the "sit back and reap" phase. Theme parks just don't work that way. You either constantly grow/evolve or you will be forced into catch-up mode.

One of the major problems with the recent wave of development is it is D/E ticket heavy. There is a lack of fleshing out the new lands and developments with A/B/C tickets. This exacerbates the crowd problems. D/E ticket draw people into the parks. But A/B/C tickets (good ones anyway) make the overall guest experience more enjoyable and help to disperse crowds. Of course that is difficult to convey on a spreadsheet.

I still love WDW but I have noticed the “magic” is lacking compared to what I remember in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. The parks used to be immaculately clean and well maintained but that’s been going downhill for 10-15 years. The castmembers feel more like generic theme park employees than they used to. The stellar Disney customer service is lacking. The resort theming is more generic. And it feels like everything is an upcharge now. Want ‘fastpass’? Gotta pay for that now. Wanna park at your resort? Gotta pay up. Loved the convenience of Magical Express? Too bad, that’s gone…find your own way to/from the airport.

I’m happy to see investment being made to build new rides/lands/experiences. That’s all good and I hope they keep it up. But I would also like to see them get back to focusing on the customer experience again. And get that “magic” back.

Jrb1979

I still love WDW but I have noticed the “magic” is lacking compared to what I remember in the 80’s, 90’s and early 2000’s. The parks used to be immaculately clean and well maintained but that’s been going downhill for 10-15 years. The castmembers feel more like generic theme park employees than they used to. The stellar Disney customer service is lacking. The resort theming is more generic. And it feels like everything is an upcharge now. Want ‘fastpass’? Gotta pay for that now. Wanna park at your resort? Gotta pay up. Loved the convenience of Magical Express? Too bad, that’s gone…find your own way to/from the airport.

I’m happy to see investment being made to build new rides/lands/experiences. That’s all good and I hope they keep it up. But I would also like to see them get back to focusing on the customer experience again. And get that “magic” back.
Only if you pay for it.

MadderAdder

It’s laughable that they charge for so much more upfront now but can’t keep up the cost of living paycheck for their CMs. 🤡

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
You are correct…and to your point. There were relatively known number of seats they’d need to keep pace with their traffic flow/control…and “park stagnation” has been documented since Luna park.
You can’t sit…no matter how much you spent on your rockwork. They haven’t been “building out” for 25 years…so it has to be reinvestment.
Don’t need an E per park every year…but you need some type of NET add in each park every 2-3. Added capacity…not skins.

It’s not working in Orlando. They’re talking short term returns and buying them with long term capability. Very BOB.
Altho i agree 100% but seems like we been talking about how this is short term thinking & will nite them in the a$$ for 20 years now unfortunately & still really hasnt phased them p&r wise… eventually everything comes to an end or a slowdown for whatever and maybe at that time we will say told you so but i think they have gotten away with this far longer than many expected already & lets face it thats not changing any time soon

Jrb1979

Altho i agree 100% but seems like we been talking about how this is short term thinking & will nite them in the a$$ for 20 years now unfortunately & still really hasnt phased them p&r wise… eventually everything comes to an end or a slowdown for whatever and maybe at that time we will say told you so but i think they have gotten away with this far longer than many expected already & lets face it thats not changing any time soon
I think this time it's different. There is a lot of angry Disney fans due to the things that Bob has said about them.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think this time it's different. There is a lot of angry Disney fans due to the things that Bob has said about them.
Not enough…currently…to matter. Remember that we “amplify the rage” on places such as this because we tend to be the most invested. But it’s not moving the needle for a mass audience as it stands.

The really telling thing for me is how the chairman “got behind” Slaphead at the start of the summer. The board is taking their orders straight from power brokers on Wall Street and that means they like where this is going. Case closed until the outside “factors” - money and economics - force a course correction. And it may never come.

There really is a major recession happening right now…based on math. But the talking heads and rich are “wishing it away” and have been for 2 years. And it’s working…so far.

crazy4disney

In the Parks
No
When you are an addict it doesnt matter… just my thoughts. In the era of social media once people see others posting pics etc the fomo & sense of needing to fit in comes roaring back. We have seen it countless times over & over again.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
When you are an addict it doesnt matter… just my thoughts. In the era of social media once people see others posting pics etc the fomo & sense of needing to fit in comes roaring back. We have seen it countless times over & over again.
Social media has been a tremendous gain for Disney…especially with videos and bloggers.

Disney doesn’t even have to pay to advertise anymore…really. Their products are promoted every nanosecond and they just watch it play

Jrb1979

I understand that. Prior to Covid I would fully believe that and for the time being its still happening. With the lack of major announcements at D23 there isn't much to get your average guest excited to miss out.

Raidermatt

Not enough…currently…to matter. Remember that we “amplify the rage” on places such as this because we tend to be the most invested. But it’s not moving the needle for a mass audience as it stands.

The really telling thing for me is how the chairman “got behind” Slaphead at the start of the summer. The board is taking their orders straight from power brokers on Wall Street and that means they like where this is going. Case closed until the outside “factors” - money and economics - force a course correction. And it may never come.

There really is a major recession happening right now…based on math. But the talking heads and rich are “wishing it away” and have been for 2 years. And it’s working…so far.
It has been the old frog in pot of water metaphor. Put the frog in cool water and slowly crank up the heat and it will not notice the change until it's boiled alive. But put it straight into boiling water and it will immediately try to jump out.

Disney started gradually turning up the heat in the Eisner/Wells era and it continued through the Iger era. Some fits and starts along the way, but overall a pretty steady climb in prices while slowly chipping away at the experience. But Chapek has cranked it all the way to 10 (or 11?) very suddenly. Will it be enough to cause the frog to jump out? Nobody really knows, even though some think they do. But the truth is it will take time, and the "power brokers" have never been known for worrying about long term ramifications because they are always covered when it hits the fan.

Technically, by some definitions, we are in a recession. But it is far from major, and by some measures it is not even happening. Further, "revenge travel" has been a real thing. This isn't going to even start to shake out until next year and it may take another year or two for the trouble to be obvious, should it happen.

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I understand that. Prior to Covid I would fully believe that and for the time being its still happening. With the lack of major announcements at D23 there isn't much to get your average guest excited to miss out.
That’s what you need at regional/traditional amusement park.

Disney - credit to them - does not. When they were expanding their properties they played that game…but that era ended.
Most of what Iger built in his last ears - my opinion - where for his personal vanity/ego…not to generate buzz or counter “competition”. Rich men are vain and think about “legacy”…poor schmucks (and chapek) just check their checking account and 401K each day to see if they got a Buck?

Br0ckford

It's really sad because just a year ago I would have been the staunch supporter saying your all freaking out over a burnt out bulb you saw on main Street once. But my June trip , while an awesome trip, was the first time I left thinking something was missing. Couldn't put my finger on it. But since with the obvious distain they have for the parks and this past D23 expo, I find I'm caught between, is a trip next year worth it, or just wait till 2024 and see how this all plays out. 🤷‍♂️

Jrb1979

It's really sad because just a year ago I would have been the staunch supporter saying your all freaking out over a burnt out bulb you saw on main Street once. But my June trip , while an awesome trip, was the first time I left thinking something was missing. Couldn't put my finger on it. But since with the obvious distain they have for the parks and this past D23 expo, I find I'm caught between, is a trip next year worth it, or just wait till 2024 and see how this all plays out. 🤷‍♂️
Wait til 2025 and go to Epic Universe instead. At least it will be something new.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom