Are we just spoiled?

Disstevefan1

I called the presentation a "turd sandwich" and said that "it feels like everything sucks."

Classic fanboy me.
Yes, and you recovered well, and your analysis looks great! You got me feeling better about it :)

I would love to see the price differences between the two time periods.

Because all the rationalizations aside, it does boil down to are we getting what we are paying for.

Last edited:

Vacationeer

In the Parks
No
My gut reaction is not liking how overthought the projects have become, focusing so heavily on IP and extra revenue streams. Creating the magic is an art. Do that correctly and the money comes. It gets diluted when trying too hard to force IPs and upcharge opportunities into everything. Comes off as superficial and lacks soul.

Epcot Forever was a pretty good show. HS’s Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular was downright awesome. Both of these were temporary placeholder shows. Maybe these didn’t suffer being overworked and overproduced the way long term projects are.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
My gut reaction is not liking how overthought the projects have become, focusing so heavily on IP and extra revenue streams. Creating the magic is an art. Do that correctly and the money comes. It gets diluted when trying too hard to force IPs and upcharge opportunities into everything. Comes off as superficial and lacks soul.

Epcot Forever was a pretty good show. HS’s Symphony in the Stars: A Galactic Spectacular was downright awesome. Both of these were temporary placeholder shows. Maybe these didn’t suffer being overworked and overproduced the way long term projects are.

I really liked the Star Wars show

It was almost “too easy”…and I’m a harsh critic.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
What year was this, and what were all those projects?
Early 1989. The Disney MGM studios complex, International Gateway, Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, Beach Club, 2 lakes, 2 canals, an aqueduct, Buena Vista Drive extension and a new interchange on World Drive. With associated services and utilities, infrastructure, back of house support, parking etc.

Behind the camera in the same time period I mentioned would have been 2 new EPCOT Center pavilions being built. Beyond the berm the Caribbean Beach Resort was being built. And further away The Grand Floridian, Typhoon Lagoon and Pleasure Island were also being built.

Off the top of my head.

Edit: lets not forget Port Orleans, Dixie Landings or Vacation Club either. That’ll make 9 resorts in addition to everything else.

Last edited:

SteveAZee

Early 1989. The Disney MGM studios complex, International Gateway, Swan, Dolphin, Yacht Club, Beach Club, 2 lakes, 2 canals, an aqueduct, Buena Vista Drive extension and a new interchange on World Drive. With associated services and utilities, infrastructure, back of house support, parking etc.

Behind the camera in the same time period I mentioned would have been 2 new EPCOT Center pavilions being built. Beyond the berm the Caribbean Beach Resort was being built. And further away The Grand Floridian, Typhoon Lagoon and Pleasure Island were also being built.

Off the top of my head.
I was there in late 1990 after a few years away... I was impressed. Thanks for the rundown.

EricsBiscuit

Off the top of my head.
Where’s the aqueduct? Can you do a video documentary on all the canals, dyk es and aqueducts at WDW? Specifically some of the stuff Dick Irvine did to make the property less of a swamp.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Where’s the aqueduct?
it’s quite an engineering feat. The gateway canal passes over the showcase canal and 2 adjacent roadways one either side.

649AF9F9-7535-454E-9742-5CAF92BDE764.jpeg

esskay

On paper, we should be looking back and saying "wow, what a great Disney Decade this has been at Walt Disney World," yet it feels like everything sucks. Why?
Because they left everything for so long. Getting all these things at once looks amazing on paper. In reality it's because it got to breaking point. Hollywood Studios was turning into a 2 hour park, Epcot was starting to look more and more like a home for the retired.

Br0ckford

I think for me, I wasn't really feeling the frustration until this D23. Little things here and there bothered me but not enough to work me up. After this weekend, I am really disappointed. I was hoping for some real show stoppers. Didn't get it. It feels like all the new stuff takes so long. I'm not getting any younger and I want it now. 🤣🤣
ss15 GIF

nickys

Premium Member
Anyone who watched my real-time meltdown in the D23 thread knows what I think about that turd of a presentation. That said, I'm trying to look on the bright side and talk myself off the ledge. Sure, it looks like we're in for a bit of a dry spell in terms of new attractions, but I think we might be under-appreciating the things we've gotten in the last few years.

Let's compare two decades.

2003 to 2012:

Major Attractions
- Soarin'
- Expedition Everest

Minor Attractions
- Under the Sea
- Enchanted Tales with Belle

2013 to 2022:

Major Attractions
- Seven Dwarfs Mine Train
- Flight of Passage
- Slinky Dog Dash
- Rise of the Resistance
- Cosmic Rewind

Minor Attractions
- Na'vi River Journey
- Alien Swirling Saucers
- Smuggler's Run
- Ratatouille

On paper, we should be looking back and saying "wow, what a great Disney Decade this has been at Walt Disney World," yet it feels like everything sucks. Why?
You left out MMRR.

And we also lost a lot too. Both rides, shows and a lot of those “extras” that make WDW what it is - like CoH.

SteamboatJoe

I think the lack of new, quality additions would be more tolerable, at least for me, if they were properly maintaining what they already have, not removing stuff without a meaningful replacements, not cutting entertainment left and right, not monetizing absolutely everything, not making planning and executing a vacation a laborious task, and not charging more money for less services/amenities.

yensidtlaw1969

I think the lack of new, quality additions would be more tolerable, at least for me, if they were properly maintaining what they already have, not removing stuff without a meaningful replacements, not cutting entertainment left and right, not monetizing absolutely everything, not making planning and executing a vacation a laborious task, and not charging more money for less services/amenities.
Disneyland Paris comes pretty close to this model, and honestly it's pretty refreshing. The park could use some new blood, sure, but that so much of the park is unmarred by the missteps of the last 20 years really is to its credit. The park was designed brilliantly, and so much of that design is now being well cared for, with minimal intrusion by fads or misplaced IP that dilute the theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom