Are there any restaurants at WDW that you won't eat at just because...?

Figments Friend

The sit down in China at EPCOT. I have heard it is just American Chinese food and I can have that anywhere....
Nine Dragons was a huge dissapointment when i finally tried. For several years i had been looking over their menu outside and wanting to try some of the dishes, but the price tags turned me away.

Some time later, Disney offered one of the first *Free Dining* Offers and i visited on this deal. Back then it truly was a great offer, as you could literally pretty much dine anywhere and everywhere for free. So i finally tried Nine Dragons on Mickey*s bill....

Even free, i was not overly impressed. It was indeed just like any other typical Asian/Chinese place back home.
The interior and exterior of the building is gorgeous, but for the price i was expecting a bit more kick to the food.

Figments Friend

Regarding 50s Prime Time, we ate there last year and the waitress really didn't "play it up" much. It wasn't really much different than any other restaraunt. But when we ate there in 2010, we had a waiter named Chris, who was in his 50s or 60s, and he played the role of the grumpy uncle. Before serving us, he asked if we washed our hands before eating and when we said yes, he tested our truthfulness by asking "what color was the soap?". Then he kind of lectured us for not keeping in touch like we should. At one point, when he was serving another table close by, I took a picture of him and when he looked up, I said "I wanted to get a picture of you for the family album." He replied "it should have already been in there". LOL

Cool. I like the Prime Time Cafe myself.

One thing people need to keep in mind is that the Cast that serves you at the 50s Prime Time Cafe *read* you when they first interact with you at your table. They will put the feelers out per say, and see if a Guest is game for the role playing aspect that makes eating here so fun.

If your server *reads* you as possibly not being open to such play, they will usually cut back on the role-playing interaction. If you clearly are enthused about pretending to be a little kid again, your servers will likely go all out and you will both have a blast.

So the differences between a great experience and having one not so great is often set by you, the Guest.
Be aware of your body language, mood, and tone of voice when you first meet your servers. The impression you give them will determine how well they will play up the interactive role play.

:)

It is interesting to watch people*s reactions when they are first greeted at their table by their servers. You can tell right away by just those first couple of interactions with the Guest if the diners are going to want to play along.

So i always tell folks, if you want to have a fun experience be sure to make it clear you want to play along!
Don*t be a stick in the mud and send your server the body language impression that you want to be left alone.

Figments Friend

You guys are freaking me out about 50's Prime Time! What kind of banter/harassment??
Should I cancel my reservation??
I am probably going to be solo and I don't want any attention brought my way.
abeachchick, see my post above ....

Bascially, at the 50s Prime Time Cafe the setting is a typical American kitchen in the 50s. *Mom* is cooking in the Kitchen, and your *relatives* ( The waitstaff ) serve the food to the *kids* ( YOU, the Guest! ).

So it is a fun role-play interaction with your server. They may ask you if you washed your hands, they may ask you to *set the table*...or they may *scold* you for not cleaning off your plate or eating your vegetables.

If you are no up for the role play aspects, that is fine. You are not forced into doing anything that you dont want to. Read my post above with more details about this.

It is a bit of lighthearted fun. I can understand some folks being a bit too shy about taking part.
The food is yummy...and the Peanut Butter Shake from *Dad*s Tune In Lounge* is a absolute must try.

Happy Dining !

Figments Friend

Back on track. My vote is Brown Derby. I ate there A LOT when I was younger and am still burned out on it.

Agree. I tried it once on a Dining Plan, and it was a dissapointment.
I was expecting a bit more flavor, but i probably arrived too late ( it was after the recent menu re-do all most TS locations on property ).

The dessert was good..but the entire experience kind of left me wondering why this was rated as a high-end dining option.

Tuvalu

Premium Member
So we've got a thread about places you wouldn't return due to poor food or service, but what about one because it just doesn't appeal to you? Mine would be liberty tree. For some reason, totally irrational, I have no desire to eat there. Maybe because I'm from the North and associate the food there with Thanksgiving and cold weather, which is what I don't want when I'm in sunny Florida. Anyone else?

You are missing out with Liberty Tree Tavern! The lunch menu is a la carte and while turkey is available, there is an awesome chicken alfredo pasta, tasty bacon cheeseburger and hearty pot roast among the other offerings. Plus LTT has the #1 dessert voted by fans of the Disney Food Blog...Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake. Our server convinced us to try it and we are so glad we did!

We have eaten there twice in the last year and had very personable and attentive servers. That, plus the pasta dish and Ooey Gooey Cake, made us add LTT to our ADR list for next month.

MOXOMUMD

Bascially, at the 50s Prime Time Cafe the setting is a typical American kitchen in the 50s. *Mom* is cooking in the Kitchen, and your *relatives* ( The waitstaff ) serve the food to the *kids* ( YOU, the Guest!).

So it is a fun role-play interaction with your server. They may ask you if you washed your hands, they may ask you to *set the table*...or they may *scold* you for not cleaning off your plate or eating your vegetables.

Happy Dining !

Our last visit "Cousin Lucy" told us and the table beside us that if we cleaned our plates we would get something special for "being good kids'". We had all finished eating but she said no prize until they're clean. It was so funny (and we were laughing) as we were licking those plates! Some people would probably say no way but we always play along to make the CM's have fun too. Oh, our prize was a "Clean Plate Club" sticker, a small ice cream cone shaped eraser (about the size of a dime but cute) and "we didn't have to wash the dishes". And getting a table with a tv is pretty darn cool too.

stevem85

MK: The Plaza Restaurant ( ate there and had to sit next to a mentally challenged kid who kept touching my food Not at all her fault, and I don't have any ill will towards the situation, but it just kind of turned me off to the place )
Epcot: Filthy Umbrella ( the place is just filthy, feel like I need to sanitize everything I come into contact with )
DHS: 50's Prime Time Café ( Atmosphere is terrific, the food is awful )
AK: Yak & Yucky ( name says it all )

NiarrNDisney

I have a few but the one on the top of my list is Whispering Canyon Cafe because I have found everytime I am in the lobby it seems to be loud and I do not care for the obnoxious antics of the wait staff.

PolynesianPrincess

There are a few but the one that sticks out in my mind the most that I would never try is Victoria and Albert's. I'm not a REAL picky eater, but there are things I just won't try and their menu has some of those things on it.

Sweet Melissa

There are a few but the one that sticks out in my mind the most that I would never try is Victoria and Albert's. I'm not a REAL picky eater, but there are things I just won't try and their menu has some of those things on it.
It may please you (and dismay your pocketbook) to know that the menu at Victoria and Albert's is customized nightly. About a week before your reservation, they call you to to discuss allergies, likes and dislikes, and tailor the menu accordingly.

danpam1024

So we've got a thread about places you wouldn't return due to poor food or service, but what about one because it just doesn't appeal to you? Mine would be liberty tree. For some reason, totally irrational, I have no desire to eat there. Maybe because I'm from the North and associate the food there with Thanksgiving and cold weather, which is what I don't want when I'm in sunny Florida. Anyone else?
I completely agree! I also will not go to TRex because RFC is gross. Don't want to go to Ashkerhaus either- not into the princesses.

danpam1024

the menu is personalized- they call you before you go and ask about your preferences- it is quite extensive. It is a culinary experience of a lifetime- you would love it :)

luv

T-Rex at DDT. It just looks like a replica of Rainforest Cafe (which isn't up my alley either) but with Dinosaurs.
They really did copy most of the RFC stuff to build T-Rex, lol. But T-Rex is better and has better food. I'm not suggesting to run over and eat there, though! :)

jrab0616

Probably won't ever eat at Sci-Fi, at least not by my choice. Not into Sci-Fi stuff (moives) and I don't like that you can't really talk to the others in your party except the one sitting next to you (since you aren't sitting face to face).

I'm pretty picky, so most of the higher end TS restaurants just don't appeal to me. Plus, we usually don't do TS meals at all while at WDW. We usually do qs meals and get right back to the fun! Though, my thoughts on this might be changing...

crispy

I feel like I have been following you and quoting your posts, but I so have to agree with this. The food at V & A would be wasted on my. I am not an extremely picky eater, but I don't really have a refined palate and the things I hate, I REALLY hate.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom