Are there any restaurants at WDW that you won't eat at just because...?

I used to always want to try 50's Primetime Cafe but I didn't realize they had that "banter" thing going on. It sounds like it's usually fun picking/teasing in good sport but that doesn't sound like my thing! It might be fun to do it once just to see what it's like.

Other than that I'd be willing to try anything once I love to try new foods and different experiences. There's only one place I didn't really like in Disney and that was Pizza Planet, the pizza was bad but I'd even be willing to try that again.

We have never eaten at 50's Prime Time because the idea of being harassed by the wait staff doesn't really appeal to us. Maybe if we were in the right mood, but who knows if we are going to be in the mood for that 180 days out from a trip. So we just continue to stick to restaurants that offer a mostly traditional diner/server relationship.

You guys are freaking me out about 50's Prime Time! What kind of banter/harassment??
Should I cancel my reservation??
I am probably going to be solo and I don't want any attention brought my way.

Sumrdog

You guys are freaking me out about 50's Prime Time! What kind of banter/harassment??
I haven't eaten there but from what I have read the server might make you finish your vegetables or ask to see your hands to make sure they are clean before you eat. I am sure someone who has experienced it can give better examples...it doesn't seem like a place that you can fly under the radar in.

MOXOMUMD

The times we've dined at 50's and haven't felt like having "Auntie Sarah" play up the schtick with us we've let them know but they are usually good about perceiving who may or may not want to play along. We've never had to show our hands but you will be reminded to eat your veggies. If you don't want to, tell them. If you're dining solo they will probably introduce you to the table beside you so "you won't feel alone" but not by name but by state. Last time I dined with Jersey on one side and Indiana on the other. We're from Ohio so technically we are in the middle.

Back on track. My vote is Brown Derby. I ate there A LOT when I was younger and am still burned out on it.

luv

No. It's a fun restaurant. Nobody is harassed. They are gently teased and joked with, all in food fun. If you don't want to be part of it, tell the server when they come up to you.

But they would never do anything to seriously humiliate you or anything of the sort. It's Disney.

Well, they reminded me to eat my veggies, but they were those pale, canned-type green beans, so hid them under my potatoes. My sister TOLD ON ME and the guy fed them to me, making airplane noises as he brought the spoon to my mouth. I was so unbelievably ticked with her.

But it was funny for the kids. And you won't be dining with my sister. :)

Figgy1

Le Cellier, the tables look too squished together for a Signature restaurant, besides, I am a vegetarian. :p WCC and Sci-Fi, I am kind of a quiet, reserved person, so I don't think this type of interaction is for me. We don't do character meals anymore, my son has Asperger's Syndrome and he never cared for them.

Anything I can get here, I skip--Nine Dragons, Tokyo Dining/Tepan Edo.
My ds with Asperger's doesn't like character meals either but his brother is a character hog so it works out for us, besides they are buffets and teen boys love to eat more than anything else. We won't do 50's for that reason, I'm afraid if the server goes a little over the top he might have a melt down.:(

Hayfam

Mickey's Backyard BBQ, something about a cookout with a hundred strangers just don't appeal to me! I do this every May with my DH family at their reunion and don't care for it then either!

ToyStoryMiss

I'm trying a new restaurant this year. Well, actually 2. Sci Fi Dine In and Chefs de France. I always wanted to go to de France, but we never really looked into it. I can't wait to try the food there! :p
And my sister told me about the Sci Fi Dine In place. It seems like a really cool restaurant!

The only few restaurants I don't particularly like is Cinderella's Royal Table (disgusting food), and the Garden Grill. The characters were mean there!

PrincessNelly_NJ

Rainforest Cafe, have one locally and Im not impressed.
Teppan Edo, we have some many local hibachi restaurants.
Le Chefs, the menu has no appeal to me
Tusker House, screaming children? packed room? no thank you!
The Plaza, Tonys, and Crystal place.... meh!

lilclerk

Anything with characters... please don't hate me. I'm also not big on Asian food, so any of those are out for me.

In regards to 50s, it's worth going. Just tell your server you don't want to participate if you don't want to play along. But from my experience, they're pretty good at reading you. My friend and I really go with the flow there and we are often put in the corner. But that's why we go, it's fun for us.

You can also eat at the bar there if you want to try the food, but don't want the full "experience."

OldYeller

Pizza Planet. Been there a couple times try to avoid it in the future. It's just chaos. The pizza looked and tasted as if it were microwaved. The caesar salad was more dressing than salad.

sbkline

1) Yak and Yeti
2) Tepan Edo
3) Nine Dragons
4) Flying Fish Cafe
5) ESPN Sports Club
6) Pretty much all the restaraunts at DTD except Rainforest Cafe and T-Rex

The first 3, I have absolutely no intention whatsoever of ever eating at, because I don't like Oriental Food. I thought about putting Marakesh on the list for the same reason (not that it is falls in the Oriental food category, but that ethnicity of food doesn't necessarily appeal to me), but I may get brave someday and try it. The rest of them, while remotely possible that I may try someday, I just have no real urge or desire to do so, even though I always like to do some new restaraunts on each trip. Just nothing about their theme really appeals to me, although I'm sure I could find some decent food there. One of these days when I have tried all the "new" restaraunts that I can think of and these are the only new ones left to experience, who knows, I may give it a shot. But maybe not. Maybe I'll just pick restaraunts that I haven't eaten at in years.

Oh ya, Victoria and Alberts. Too formal, too stuffy, to expensive.

Phonedave

So we've got a thread about places you wouldn't return due to poor food or service, but what about one because it just doesn't appeal to you? Mine would be liberty tree. For some reason, totally irrational, I have no desire to eat there. Maybe because I'm from the North and associate the food there with Thanksgiving and cold weather, which is what I don't want when I'm in sunny Florida. Anyone else?

One that does not appeal to me is Prime Time.

The food is good (not great - just good)
The service is for the most part good (I do like the banter)
And I do like the food - it is solid homestyle food.

That is what does not appeal to me. It just does not sit right with me. If I want homestyle food I am going to go to a diner, or a local hole in the wall.

If I go to a place that has the trappings of a restaruant, then I want "restaruant" food.

Going to a place that is clearly a reastaruant to eat food that is served to me how I would serve (or sloppier than I would serve) it at home on an Tuesday night just does not sit well with me.

-dave

JTT

50's Prime Time is awesome. It’s good home cooking. Brownie Sunday for dessert is fantastic.

The waiters tell you to eat your greens and get your elbows off the table. It’s fun.

We always use the dining plan and I will not go to a 2 dining credit restaurant. It’s not worth it. The 1 credit restaurants are so good, I don’t want to waste the credit.

sbkline

Regarding 50s Prime Time, we ate there last year and the waitress really didn't "play it up" much. It wasn't really much different than any other restaraunt. But when we ate there in 2010, we had a waiter named Chris, who was in his 50s or 60s, and he played the role of the grumpy uncle. Before serving us, he asked if we washed our hands before eating and when we said yes, he tested our truthfulness by asking "what color was the soap?". Then he kind of lectured us for not keeping in touch like we should. At one point, when he was serving another table close by, I took a picture of him and when he looked up, I said "I wanted to get a picture of you for the family album." He replied "it should have already been in there". LOL

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom