Are the feelings for the Yeti unreasonable?

Jedi Stitch

I find the Disco Yeti Scene to dark to actually comprehend what I just saw. I wish they would light it up so you can see the damn thing to enjoy the tallest and expensive AA. It would be nice if they found a away to at least just make the arm move and the roar that doesn't tax the structure.

rreading

Personally, the more than a decade's acceptance of Disco Yeti appalls me. What if Navi River Journey's shaman was replaced with a screen, and then just stayed like that for ten years? That might not be the best analogy, but it's the closest I could come up with at the moment.

The obvious problem with that analogy is that the Shaman is there for a good bit of the experience and is possibly for some the most interesting aspect of the experience. While the yeti was for sure inspiring in its concept and apparently in its initial execution, it was a fleeting impression of probably 1-3 seconds at most. I remember when we first rode it years ago (after its breakdown) not really even being able to see the yeti. It's better now and I appreciate the fact of there being a great big monster there. Would I like (or even love) it to move? Absolutely! Would I enjoy the ride more? Probably not. The point of the ride it that it's a great coaster.

And if there's a risk of injury from malfunction in its movement? Then there's no way WDW should pursue it.

But I do want them to get Space Mountain fixed up; its effects make the experience (since otherwise it's just a pretty simple roller coaster)

Paper straw fan

It feels like a sunk cost at this point. Too expensive and unnecessary to fix, and also probably they don’t want to put their best attraction (suck it FoP!) out of service for several months just to fix an expensive window dressing

SirWillow

Original Poster
It’s important because it’s current state is systematic of a large part of the way the parks are run.

Very good point. it is one example among many. It seems like 10-15 years ago, when I started at WDW, you didn't see things like that, but it did seem like the "let it go" attitude was starting to creep in among the upper park management.

NormC

I know one thing... because my trips to Disney World are limited to every few years, I would be kind of ****ed if the ride was closed during my visit for the sole reason that they could address this one insignificant detail. Scheduled maintenance and major refurbishments are understandable, and an expected part of visiting any world-famous attraction or landmark. I would much rather have a nearly-perfect Expedition Everest open during my rare visit than miss the ride altogether because of one tiny flaw that only die-hards will ever notice.
LOL

justintheharris

I know this one has some strong feelings from some people, and I have to admit I'm a little bemused by some of it, and figure I must be missing somethings. Especially after I saw a couple of people attack Iger on the thread about him as if he's directly responsible for it and it's a high crime to not have fixed the Yeti.

We all know the issue- the Yeti on Expedition Everest used to move. Now he doesn't, and instead has a strobe light effect projected onto him. The reason seems to be that the figure itself broke at some point, or it was causing structural issues with the mountain itself and they shut it down. Or both. From what I've seen the only way to fix it is to close the ride for months, actually have to remove the top of the mountain, lift the figure out for repairs, and also do some work on the mountain itself so that it can properly support the moving Yeti. And to do so is going to cost tens of millions of dollars. Do I have that basically right?

So a ton of money and downtime for something that nominally affects the ride, at best. I rode it before it opened, and over the course of the 5 years I worked there- starting about the time they opened the ride- and other visits, I've been on it plenty. The impact difference of moving yeti vs strobe yeti is small- small enough that I doubt most people would even notice it.

I don't understand thinking it's necessary to spend millions on a moment that lasts maybe a second. What return on their investment would they get that would make it worth it to spend that much money. An advertising campaign? "Look, the Yeti moves!" 😆

I'm sure there is someone here who will be happy to put my ignorant self in place and explain how this one thing ruins their whole entire vacation at Disney, or how Disney would make billions if they fixed it, or something like that. But I don't get it.
If nobody else is, I'm with you 100%. Yes it would be awesome if they Yeti moved. But Disney didn't just shrug their shoulders and leave it. They at least attempted to give the illusion of movement. There's plenty of people who don't even know it's supposed to move. And when you're going by that show scene at a speed of at least 40 mph, would riders even be able to notice if it moved? I attribute the talk about the Yeti to the 'we must complain about everything Disney does' mentality. At the end of the day, I don't care if the Yeti moves or doesn't move. And outside of the huge Disney parks fans, just about nobody else does either.

smile

can't keep the bluebird on splash working for five minutes and folks expect a fixed yeti?

curious as to why i've not yet seen one person address related inter-departmental finger-pointing, as this is less an unapproved line and more typical corporate bs -
who's giving money to anybody for anything not in service to synergy, anyways? ... besides, not sure even i could imagine financing trips to bali for inspiration on a new yeti anim, tbh

of course this speaks to the general gradually consistent degradation of show across the board - further from delivery, the better, not necessarily.
and yet this is trivial; you're not supposed to be bothered by this - attempts to fix may even negatively affect your experience!

and why not? positive reinforcement for money breeds folks ready to jump defensively from out the woodwork -
it took some time and a few were lost along the way, but it's almost clockwork by now... most impressive.

the bread and butter of lowered expectations and as inevitable as price increases.

juniorthomas

I'd guess that a majority of people who ride EE have no idea that the yeti is supposed to move at all. I've only seen it move once, and it was so long ago that I am now questioning whether or not I'm misremembering.

So yes, the feelings are indeed unreasonable. Most people wouldn't, and in fact don't, care.

TongaToast21

Some people just like to complain about how Disney has gone down hill... or are just bored

EDIT: Am I the only one who kind of likes the strobe anyway? if you're in the right seat at the right place it looks like the Yeti is running towards you

Last edited:

fractal

I completely disagree with the premise that moving Yeti vs. strobe Yeti is a small difference. To me it's a major difference, so much so that Joe Rohde himself promised he would fix it (someday). We have gotten so used to the existing Disco Yeti that we forgot how great it was when it worked. It was the pinnacle of Disney's animatronics.

As far as it lasting a few seconds; the fall down Splash Mountain only lasts a few seconds - shall we just get rid of that too? Those few seconds of a Yeti swiping down at you is the climax of the tension and buildup you feel from the second you hear the creepy music and view the displays in the queue line.

You are trying to make this a business decision - I am not an accountant for Disney, I am a guest that continues to pay more and more with each visit and don't really care the cost. I want back what was once the best attraction I experienced. Why would you NOT want it fixed is a better question.

Last edited:

Epcot_Imagineer

If it means that the ride shuts down for a prolonged period of time for other than routine maintenance, then no, I don't want the yeti to move. I'll take it as it is.
It was confirmed that the ride would not have to close to fix the Yeti. It could be taken out and replaced within the span of a weekend, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: It would not take any time at all. The Yeti has been taken out overnight before and replaced before park opening the next day. The fix would just require a hefty amount of $$$

fractal

If it means that the ride shuts down for a prolonged period of time for other than routine maintenance, then no, I don't want the yeti to move. I'll take it as it is.

Pretty short-sighted. Besides, @marni1971 claims it can be fixed without shutting down the ride.

"It’s important because it’s current state is systematic of a large part of the way the parks are run.

No, it’s not foundation. No, the ride wouldn’t need to shut. Yes, it can be done. "

Missing20K

The reality was different than what they expected. Engineers make mistakes all the time, sometimes it is because they overlooked something such as when the space shuttle blew up someone didn't consider how cold it actually got in Florida... and sometimes the engineers do everything right but the builders make changes or cut corners in the construction that cause the problems.

Engineers did alert their superiors to the issues surrounding the cold weather and O-rings. They were dismissed.
(Source: Challenger Engineer Who Warned Of Shuttle Disaster Dies)

I'm amazed how many people will defend a company raking in billions each quarter for not spending the time and money to fix the largest AA in Disney history. You think there would be a bit more pride about the idea that the largest AA Disney ever created failed, and has yet to be addressed in any meaningful way.

Why any of use here would be concerned that the repair doesn't have the "appropriate" ROI is sorta baffling to me. Even as a shareholder, still odd to me that the only decisions that are to be justified are ones in which ROI is acceptable and DIS shares rise next quarter.

I'm convinced they simply don't care. Which is really sad.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom