Are the feelings for the Yeti unreasonable?

ABQ

I'm not sure a majority of people not knowing it's broken is a valid reason to support a statement that it therefor doesn't really matter. Sure, the ride is still enjoyable, but it's not the ride the designers wanted to be ridden. A similar thing would be the horrid condition of the fountain of nations. Most people don't know how much better it could be, or should be, as WDW has just said, meh, who cares and now it's accepted. It's a bummer and just another thing on the long list of things that don't equate today for acceptable show quality with what once was.

Goofyernmost

My feeling is that it is and was worth the initial investment when the attraction was being built and if it still worked like it was intended it would be a great thing. However, just like ourselves, we pour just so much money into a problem that will not be fixed and you cut bait and do the best you can do to make what you have work. I rode it when it was working and, guess what, we went by it so fast that I almost didn't see it. Like many other things in life, although the intent was commendable it just didn't work. Sometimes that happens. The solution that they came up with is complained about only by those that still believe that everything has to be perfect no matter the cost. They already had invested enough in that dud. Spending more would be far more foolish then fans and strobe lights.

For those whose next statement is... Well, Walt would have fixed it. Walt wanted perfection, but, he wasn't a fool. If something wasn't working he didn't continue to throw money at it. He tore it down and put something in place that did work. In this case we still have a great attraction with a Yeti and the original intent that was modified to just create the illusion that it is moving. (Disney is big on illusion) It is now something that people enjoy and for the most part never even knew that there was a moving AA there. 10+ years does a lot to erase any negatives.

The Pho

What if Navi River Journey's shaman was replaced with a screen
Well sometimes it is.

Ultimately the Yeti is a massive failure and a mark of shame on Imagineering above all else. It’s not necessary for the ride, but it did make it a better attraction. For the most part though, I’ve given up on expecting Disney to keep up with simple maintainence in the parks anymore, never mind fixing something like the Yeti. If the time comes to fix the Yeti, I’ll be expecting a retheming of the ride, otherwise I don’t see them investing to fix it.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
Well sometimes it is.

Ultimately the Yeti is a massive failure and a mark of shame on Imagineering above all else. It’s not necessary for the ride, but it did make it a better attraction. For the most part though, I’ve given up on expecting Disney to keep up with simple maintainence in the parks anymore, never mind fixing something like the Yeti. If the time comes to fix the Yeti, I’ll be expecting a retheming of the ride, otherwise I don’t see them investing to fix it.

Expedition Arendelle?

OneofThree

It's not fixed yet likely because it's failure doesn't significantly impact attendance for EE. Given what I've heard about the extent of the problem and associated repairs, I probably wouldn't fix it yet either. In say yet because it's unkown whether it will ever be addressed. If it were up to me and my sentimental spit for WDW, I'd wait until the ride required an extensive refurbishment and makenthe thing whole at that time. That said, I'm nit holding my breath because in this era, WDW is about a vision and the guests only to the extent that it serves shareholder ROI.

Paper straw fan

Personally, the more than a decade's acceptance of Disco Yeti appalls me. What if Navi River Journey's shaman was replaced with a screen, and then just stayed like that for ten years? That might not be the best analogy, but it's the closest I could come up with at the moment.

It would suck equally?

Seriously, it’s a roller coaster. The effect, or lack of it, means very little to me.

Kamikaze

It will never be fixed. If it was a quick fix, they would have done it by now. It is either going to cost more downtime or way to much money for either investment to be worth it.

Never is a long time. Remember that EE has not had a long term refurbishment in its entire history. When it does, I would expect the focus of that refurb to be the Yeti.

If that means AK needs an additional top tier attraction to be operating before this happens remains to be seen.

thomas998

The thing about the whole Yeti issue that irks me a bit is with all of the engineering knowledge base that must exist within WDI, how did the Imagineers not foresee that the constantly moving Yeti AA would cause enough stress on the inner structure of the mountain to cause damage? I was (briefly :D) in an engineering program in university, and using vector mechanics to determine force and stress is a fairly simple thing for someone with an engineering background.
The reality was different than what they expected. Engineers make mistakes all the time, sometimes it is because they overlooked something such as when the space shuttle blew up someone didn't consider how cold it actually got in Florida... and sometimes the engineers do everything right but the builders make changes or cut corners in the construction that cause the problems.

We are never going to know what the reason for the Yeti being a failure was, but the reality is it is a failure and the cost to repair it can't be justified. In the end people don't ride Expedition Everest because they want to see a cheesy Yeti, moving or not, they ride it for the roller coast experience and that means there is little reason for the powers that be to worry about a broken Yeti that some people don't even look for because they have their eyes closed the whole time.

JIMINYCR

I rode it shortly after it was opened and did get to experience it as it was designed. Then rode it after the problems occurred. Having he Yeti strobe lit didnt change my desire to ride continually on return trips and although it would be better fixed, theres nothing now that really impacts the thrill and excitement guests receive to warrant spending millions of dollars. Spending that money with no guarantee that the issue would be solved would be foolish. IF Dis did that and upped the ticket prices to cover the fix, then youd hear the Disney purists yelling up a storm.

Heppenheimer

I know one thing... because my trips to Disney World are limited to every few years, I would be kind of ed if the ride was closed during my visit for the sole reason that they could address this one insignificant detail. Scheduled maintenance and major refurbishments are understandable, and an expected part of visiting any world-famous attraction or landmark. I would much rather have a nearly-perfect Expedition Everest open during my rare visit than miss the ride altogether because of one tiny flaw that only die-hards will ever notice.

xdan0920

Think for yourselfer
I know one thing... because my trips to Disney World are limited to every few years, I would be kind of ****ed if the ride was closed during my visit for the sole reason that they could address this one insignificant detail. Scheduled maintenance and major refurbishments are understandable, and an expected part of visiting any world-famous attraction or landmark. I would much rather have a nearly-perfect Expedition Everest open during my rare visit than miss the ride altogether because of one tiny flaw that only die-hards will ever notice.
:hilarious:

ppete1975

Never is a long time. Remember that EE has not had a long term refurbishment in its entire history. When it does, I would expect the focus of that refurb to be the Yeti.

If that means AK needs an additional top tier attraction to be operating before this happens remains to be seen.
Ill bet you a mickey mouse bar. Of course it will be a mess when you get it in the mail because ill just put it in an envelope.

Model3 McQueen

In the Parks
No
I know one thing... because my trips to Disney World are limited to every few years, I would be kind of ****ed if the ride was closed during my visit for the sole reason that they could address this one insignificant detail. Scheduled maintenance and major refurbishments are understandable, and an expected part of visiting any world-famous attraction or landmark. I would much rather have a nearly-perfect Expedition Everest open during my rare visit than miss the ride altogether because of one tiny flaw that only die-hards will ever notice.

If they were going to do a refurbishment for the yeti only, it would've been done years ago.

13 years later, they might look into making the ride smoother (requiring adjustments / modification to track or train, idk), repainting the whole thing, and adding some new, smaller effects. That would probably be proper justification for a major refurb in the eyes of TDO.

ppete1975

If they were going to do a refurbishment for the yeti only, it would've been done years ago.

13 years later, they might look into making the ride smoother (requiring adjustments / modification to track or train, idk), repainting the whole thing, and adding some new, smaller effects. That would probably be proper justification for a major refurb in the eyes of TDO.
Actually that makes total sense, and for some odd reason I didn't even think about them doing it during a refurb of the entire ride.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
It’s important because it’s current state is systematic of a large part of the way the parks are run.

No, it’s not foundation. No, the ride wouldn’t need to shut. Yes, it can be done.

How many years have the lift hill lights on Space Mountain been burnt out now?
The one I miss the most is the planet rotation on Astro Orbiter. Or did I just imagine that they used to move?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom