Aqueduct/Water Bridge to Contemporary and MK

Kontra

Original Poster
Something that has bothered me for years is the lack of attention given to the aqueduct roadway tunnel (connecting Bay Lake and 7 Seas). Compare this tunnel to the one between the Boardwalk and Beach Club. It's a night and day comparison.

I know there are bigger issues at the parks, but seriously, this is one of the main passageways into the MK. Nobody wants to see exposed water pipes and grey stone wall on their way into the most magical place on earth (Although busses were never supposed to take you to the MK entrance to begin with). If WDW wants to get all consistent and "global," lets not forget to apply that concept to things like this.

My rant ends here.

ToTBellHop

I don't really see this as that big of a deal--not everything can be perfect, and one of the last things on Disney's mind is likely theming of the roadways...

jt04

Something that has bothered me for years is the lack of attention given to the aqueduct roadway tunnel (connecting Bay Lake and 7 Seas). Compare this tunnel to the one between the Boardwalk and Beach Club. It's a night and day comparison.

I know there are bigger issues at the parks, but seriously, this is one of the main passageways into the MK. Nobody wants to see exposed water pipes and grey stone wall on their way into the most magical place on earth (Although busses were never supposed to take you to the MK entrance to begin with). If WDW wants to get all consistent and "global," lets not forget to apply that concept to things like this.

My rant ends here.

I actually agree with you. There is a certain area that is an extension of the MK. This includes the monorail resorts, the WL, Bay Lake, SSL, the TTC and Fort Wilderness. It seems to me there should be as little "behind the scenes" and backstage stuff as possible that is visible. In addition to your point, I think the TTC needs major work or it should be eliminated as on-line ticketing takes over or people get their tickets at the resorts. The roof of the TTC as seen from the monorail is especially un-magical :hurl:.

I also have problems with some of the backstage stuff visible from the WDW railroad and the TTA.

I know it isn't practical everywhere on property but in the MK area there should never be any instances of "bad show".

Great thread topic by the way! :sohappy:

DisneyJoe

The exposed pipes always make me remember and appreciate the effort that went into creating this water bridge - and I always assumed it was a safety matter that they weren't covered or hidden.

Its a roadway and a bridge - what theme would you apply? It goes under water for a few seconds - lets design and create a fancy Nemo scene?

jt04

The exposed pipes always make me remember and appreciate the effort that went into creating this water bridge - and I always assumed it was a safety matter that they weren't covered or hidden.

Its a roadway and a bridge - what theme would you apply? It goes under water for a few seconds - lets design and create a fancy Nemo scene?

I don't think theming of that kind is the OP's point. If you go through the tunnel near Epcot you can see that there was an attempt to theme it to the Boardwalk. I think something like that would work if it had a decent budget.

Back in the day as you traveled on the monorail towards the MK there were many topiary scenes and when those were new to people it really set the mood for the MK and created a lot of magic. So, theming the "road" to the MK is appropriate.

If you take the ferry from the TTC to the MK the scenery is AWESOME! There is no reason the same magic can't be created for those traveling by monorail or bus or car.

sweetpee_1993

Okay. My hubby is a sr. piping designer by profession. I can get in on this one. When we took our KttK Tour last May he puzzled all the CMs by asking why the pipes in the utilidors were insulated. He couldn't stand not knowing. We even stopped to talk to several maintenance CMs and found an engineer. Love seeing things thru his eyes sometimes.

Anywhoo, the pipes are most likely exposed for maintenance reasons. If something needs to be changed, is leaking, needs maintenance, etc. it's easier to do if it's not encased in concrete. Also, it would take more concrete to encase the pipes. This now changes the height of the tunnel and the amount of clearance for the vehicles. You can't just tuck the pipes into the concrete that was poured for the thickness of the water bridge because it would compromise the integrity and strength of the bridge itself. It's very sensible to do it the way it currently sits. As for the pipes, I can't remember off the top of my head of they are or not but I know that pipes are generally painted different colors for a reason. Blue always means water. Think about that the next time you are coming out of the Catastrophe Canyon scene on the Backlot Tour. Hubby looooves to point out what all the different colored pipes are and what they mean. Why is it all grey??? Well, it blends. When you are going from outside in and back out again it doesn't distract the eye. It's such a short tunnel. Why draw people's attention inside there? Let them make a quick, easy transition without distraction. Besides, if there was something to see or take note of people would slow down which would not be nice for traffic flow considering that's such a major vein in/out of the MK for the bus system. Also, if there was more to maintain there then it also creates more possibility of affecting that traffic area for maintenance. It just makes good sense not to theme it or dress it up. Let it be a tunnel. There's nothing to see here. Draw the eye beyond.

On a side note, hubby and sons say the fishing right there at the tunnel is phenomenal! They caught many big fishies there on their excursion several years back. Every time we pass that area on the monorail hubby has to make a big deal and reminisce. So cute!

jt04

Okay. My hubby is a sr. piping designer by profession. I can get in on this one. When we took our KttK Tour last May he puzzled all the CMs by asking why the pipes in the utilidors were insulated. He couldn't stand not knowing. We even stopped to talk to several maintenance CMs and found an engineer. Love seeing things thru his eyes sometimes.

Anywhoo, the pipes are most likely exposed for maintenance reasons. If something needs to be changed, is leaking, needs maintenance, etc. it's easier to do if it's not encased in concrete. Also, it would take more concrete to encase the pipes. This now changes the height of the tunnel and the amount of clearance for the vehicles. You can't just tuck the pipes into the concrete that was poured for the thickness of the water bridge because it would compromise the integrity and strength of the bridge itself. It's very sensible to do it the way it currently sits. As for the pipes, I can't remember off the top of my head of they are or not but I know that pipes are generally painted different colors for a reason. Blue always means water. Think about that the next time you are coming out of the Catastrophe Canyon scene on the Backlot Tour. Hubby looooves to point out what all the different colored pipes are and what they mean. Why is it all grey??? Well, it blends. When you are going from outside in and back out again it doesn't distract the eye. It's such a short tunnel. Why draw people's attention inside there? Let them make a quick, easy transition without distraction. Besides, if there was something to see or take note of people would slow down which would not be nice for traffic flow considering that's such a major vein in/out of the MK for the bus system. Also, if there was more to maintain there then it also creates more possibility of affecting that traffic area for maintenance. It just makes good sense not to theme it or dress it up. Let it be a tunnel. There's nothing to see here. Draw the eye beyond.

On a side note, hubby and sons say the fishing right there at the tunnel is phenomenal! They caught many big fishies there on their excursion several years back. Every time we pass that area on the monorail hubby has to make a big deal and reminisce. So cute!

If the pipes can't be covered they could still be themed as Disney does this sort of thing all the time. Imagination is their business. But at the very least, they could cover the raw cement with faux brickwork or murals of some sort. Even some kind of plants would work.

Of course the roof at the TTC is a much bigger eyesore. Perfect situation for Disney to create a green roof with plant systems designed just for that purpose.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
You know... this has always bugged me since 1979 but I was too afraid to mention it :lol:

At least give them a box to hide them.

hpyhnt 1000

While it'd be nice to see theming, I'd be happy enough with a coat of paint. Like others have said, its a short tunnel. Throw a fresh coat of paint on it every few years and call it a day. No need to go all out with the theming. :shrug:

jt04

You know... this has always bugged me since 1979 but I was too afraid to mention it :lol:

At least give them a box to hide them.

I know people hate when people assume what Walt would have done but I just don't think he would have accepted the tunnel as is. I know the roof at the TTC is not to his high standards. OK, I am done channeling Walt now.:lol:...:p

Figment632

I sell piping and pipe hangers and they don't paint pipes when they are outdoors usually. They don't paint pipes to tell what us inside them anymore and haven't for about 15 years. Plastic pipe markers that say what is in them are used. If the pipes are painted or covered up it would compromise the structural integrity of the pipe and make it a general pain in the ______ to maintain.

My company sells a lot of pipe hangers to WDW. I just had a huge Order recently for water park Refurb and we did most of the original hangers for the construction of Epcot DHS AK TL but not for BB. I get very excited when I look at an order and it says Lake Buena Vista FL on it.

DisneyJoe

Disney has four quality standards, and they are prioritized in this order:

- safety
- courtesy
- show
- efficiency

Just like sending overflow crowds out behind Main St USA when necessary to keep people safe, leaving these pipes and this tunnel as-is is most likely a necessary safety item.

Figment632

Safety but I'm telling you it is mainly because of acsess and matinence. There is just no reason to paint cast iron or stainless steal pipe if it is outside.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
a) How is this news & rumors?

and. . .

b) Are we really down to complaining about pipes under a bridge now? :lol: :dazzle:

WhyteAL

I agree the roof has always bugged me since I was little...

I think I tried to bring this up a long time ago in a thread but I dont remember and I dont wanna bother to look for it. But it has been my observation that Before Disney World became so big and during the period of the 80's and 90's (Sorry wasnt alive in the 70's :)) Those areas weren't as exposed I think because there was alot more folliage (not sure if I spelled it right), But either because of the drier weather seen in the area since the late 90's or because of the larger influx of Hurricanes that have been striking Florida, there has been a huge reduction of trees, and plants which previously would have made those areas unseen.

But there has never been any excuse for the roof...:rolleyes:

I think that is something that disney is missing the seculsion of each magical place...But like I said it might not be something environmental that they have no control over.

But in any case I am leaving today for disney and wont return till sunday:sohappy:

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate it!!!!:wave:

jt04

a) How is this news & rumors?

and. . .

b) Are we really down to complaining about pipes under a bridge now? :lol: :dazzle:

Oh no, we could always complain about SM cutbacks and PI :lookaroun

There is a rumor they may theme the tunnel like they did at the Epcot tunnel. Not a strong rumor bit a rumor nonetheless :)

jt04

I agree the roof has always bugged me since I was little...

I think I tried to bring this up a long time ago in a thread but I dont remember and I dont wanna bother to look for it. But it has been my observation that Before Disney World became so big and during the period of the 80's and 90's (Sorry wasnt alive in the 70's :)) Those areas weren't as exposed I think because there was alot more folliage (not sure if I spelled it right), But either because of the drier weather seen in the area since the late 90's or because of the larger influx of Hurricanes that have been striking Florida, there has been a huge reduction of trees, and plants which previously would have made those areas unseen.

But there has never been any excuse for the roof...:rolleyes:

I think that is something that disney is missing the seculsion of each magical place...But like I said it might not be something environmental that they have no control over.

But in any case I am leaving today for disney and wont return till sunday:sohappy:

Happy Thanksgiving to all those who celebrate it!!!!:wave:

The topiary were removed for budget reasons I think.

Glad someone else noticed the roof at the TTC. Worst "show" at WDW. Just plain hideous.

DMC-12

It's HarmonioUS, NOT HarmoniYOU.
Oh no, we could always complain about SM cutbacks and PI :lookaroun

There is a rumor they may theme the tunnel like they did at the Epcot tunnel. Not a strong rumor bit a rumor nonetheless :)

:lol:

Ah. Gotcha thanks! :)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom