April trips canceled by Disney?

Logan L

I am thinking along the lines of an opening anywhere from early June to the beginning of July. To say any longer, is just unrealistic. The park’s will be open in some shape or form by then. At first I thought that the people who said a June or July opening were out of their minds. In fact, if you look at the scientific evidence, it all points to that or later. I firmly believe that now. All of The people booking fall trips need to take into account that this is probably going to resurge in the fall. Dr Fauci said that he is ”Almost positive“ that it will resurge. It probably won’t be as bad because we will know how to treat it better. There is still a possibility that the parks may close again in the fall this year until things calm down then. We had a trip scheduled on April 28-May 5. We scheduled that before Coronavirus was even a thing. We then rescheduled to the first weekend in May, but we realized that that too was not going to happen. As of now, we have not rescheduled a trip yet, but we are looking to go shortly after the parks fully open. Am I betting June first, no. I think a more realistic estimate would be around the 14th of June. Phased opening for Florida residents who are AP’s May happen before then. Theme parks along with bars and restaurants will probably be lower on the list to open up the soonest. I think Disney is trying to open up the soonest they can, when they deem it safe. People saying that Disney is not going to open until the risk of contracting COVID-19 is zero, clearly don’t understand that if that were to happen, then Disney would never open up again. Even if there is an effective vaccine for this virus, that doesn’t mean that there is zero risk of contracting it. It is here, and it is staying for the foreseeable future.There is Also NO way on earth that Disney could sanitize and clean all commonly touched surfaces in their parks. Think about it, there is safety restraints, lap bars, ride vehicles, touchscreens, kiosks, restrooms, tables, doors, the list could literally be a mile long. There is also no good way that they could keep people 6 feet apart. Restrooms, entering and exiting the park, and biggest of all, lines and attraction queues. They can’t have virtual queues for every ride and line. The people that are waiting would still have to be somewhere, and that place is the rest of the park, along with everyone else who is there. That brings another issue, park capacity, they would have to reduce park capacity down to 30-40% of what it normally is to be effective. Even if they were open, most people would want to just hold out until it is fully and really open. That is why it is not opening in the next 5-7 weeks. I think that they would have to do a soft opening of some sort like mentioned above. Some things look good on the drawing board, but they May not always work. They aren’t just going to wing it, and that is why a soft opening is necessary to Ensure the safety of the guests and cast members. Again these guidelines could and probably will change in between now and the time June rolls around. Trust me, I want the parks to open, like really really Bad, but I don’t want them to risk anyone’s health, safety, or life. These next few weeks before and after the peak are crucial to having anything start to open up. But in the meantime, the country must open up and Disney will open up. If they do close, and a trip is booked then, waiting until 2021 is probably a better idea. This could also affect the holiday crowd, making that time less crowded. The soonest you could see them open up, is mid May. That would be pushing it because of cast member and guest Safety issues. Though a early opening would be nice😃

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
I am thinking along the lines of an opening anywhere from early June to the beginning of July. To say any longer, is just unrealistic. The park’s will be open in some shape or form by then. At first I thought that the people who said a June or July opening were out of their minds. In fact, if you look at the scientific evidence, it all points to that or later. I firmly believe that now. All of The people booking fall trips need to take into account that this is probably going to resurge in the fall. Dr Fauci said that he is ”Almost positive“ that it will resurge. It probably won’t be as bad because we will know how to treat it better. There is still a possibility that the parks may close again in the fall this year until things calm down then. We had a trip scheduled on April 28-May 5. We scheduled that before Coronavirus was even a thing. We then rescheduled to the first weekend in May, but we realized that that too was not going to happen. As of now, we have not rescheduled a trip yet, but we are looking to go shortly after the parks fully open. Am I betting June first, no. I think a more realistic estimate would be around the 14th of June. Phased opening for Florida residents who are AP’s May happen before then. Theme parks along with bars and restaurants will probably be lower on the list to open up the soonest. I think Disney is trying to open up the soonest they can, when they deem it safe. People saying that Disney is not going to open until the risk of contracting COVID-19 is zero, clearly don’t understand that if that were to happen, then Disney would never open up again. Even if there is an effective vaccine for this virus, that doesn’t mean that there is zero risk of contracting it. It is here, and it is staying for the foreseeable future.There is Also NO way on earth that Disney could sanitize and clean all commonly touched surfaces in their parks. Think about it, there is safety restraints, lap bars, ride vehicles, touchscreens, kiosks, restrooms, tables, doors, the list could literally be a mile long. There is also no good way that they could keep people 6 feet apart. Restrooms, entering and exiting the park, and biggest of all, lines and attraction queues. They can’t have virtual queues for every ride and line. The people that are waiting would still have to be somewhere, and that place is the rest of the park, along with everyone else who is there. That brings another issue, park capacity, they would have to reduce park capacity down to 30-40% of what it normally is to be effective. Even if they were open, most people would want to just hold out until it is fully and really open. That is why it is not opening in the next 5-7 weeks. I think that they would have to do a soft opening of some sort like mentioned above. Some things look good on the drawing board, but they May not always work. They aren’t just going to wing it, and that is why a soft opening is necessary to Ensure the safety of the guests and cast members. Again these guidelines could and probably will change in between now and the time June rolls around. Trust me, I want the parks to open, like really really Bad, but I don’t want them to risk anyone’s health, safety, or life. These next few weeks before and after the peak are crucial to having anything start to open up. But in the meantime, the country must open up and Disney will open up. If they do close, and a trip is booked then, waiting until 2021 is probably a better idea. This could also affect the holiday crowd, making that time less crowded. The soonest you could see them open up, is mid May. That would be pushing it because of cast member and guest Safety issues. Though a early opening would be nice😃
Why do you keep posting the exact same post in different threads?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The term “unrealistic” does not apply when you’re dealing with an unprecedented international event nobody alive has really experienced...at least not in the developed world.

The steps taken by health officials and companies with liability like Disney will have to be determined in real time...by them. We all will have to wait and see what can and cannot happen.

Any other grade school tantrums, Logan?

Lilofan

For a 14 year old kid, you write with good description.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
For a 14 year old kid, you write with good description.
I didn’t see that...I’ll retract some of my condescension...though I’m sorry to say that any insistence on “reasonable” timelines can’t be accommodated.

It’s not just the testing and hospital shortages we have to weather...it’s that there won’t be a way to guarantee a recurrence for a minimum 1-2 years...which means a fundamental disruption to any place that serves crowds in close proximity.

I can think of no more obvious posterchildren for that.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
I didn’t see that...I’ll retract some of my condescension...though I’m sorry to say that any insistence on “reasonable” timelines can’t be accommodated.

It’s not just the testing and hospital shortages we have to weather...it’s that there won’t be a way to guarantee a recurrence for a minimum 1-2 years...which means a fundamental disruption to any place that serves crowds in close proximity.

I can think of no more obvious posterchildren for that.

How do you define a recurrence for this situation? What is the threshold for it to be more than the standard pattern?

ImperfectPixie

Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders - and you express yourself well. I don't think Disney will stay closed until the risk of COVID-19 is zero, but I think both American parks will likely need to stay closed longer than the resorts in Asia, because we Americans simply can't be counted on to be compliant and obey safe distancing rules or stay home when we're sick.

TeriofTerror

Seems like you have a good head on your shoulders - and you express yourself well. I don't think Disney will stay closed until the risk of COVID-19 is zero, but I think both American parks will likely need to stay closed longer than the resorts in Asia, because we Americans simply can't be counted on to be compliant and obey safe distancing rules or stay home when we're sick.
Agreed. And we're litigation-happy and always want to have someone else to blame.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member
Hi Logan,

Welcome to the forums.

As a favour to those of us who navigate this site exclusively on a cell phone, could you please use paragraph breaks, with line spacing in between?

Failing which, you’re going to get a lot of tl;dr.

Kay, thanks. 🙂

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
How do you define a recurrence for this situation? What is the threshold for it to be more than the standard pattern?
Well...since the virus has a long shelf life, high transmission rate and dangerous latency period...the situation is not good.

They could have hundreds if not thousands of cases traced back to a Disney park if they’re not careful and by the time it’s known it would be a massive hit to their reputation/business.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Well...since the virus has a long shelf life, high transmission rate and dangerous latency period...the situation is not good.

They could have hundreds if not thousands of cases traced back to a Disney park if they’re not careful and by the time it’s known it would be a massive hit to their reputation/business.

Didn’t answer any of the questions I asked. Not even close.

What constitutes a recurrence for this particular situation? A daily rise of cases? Double the cases each day?

What is the threshold that deems everything closes again?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Didn’t answer any of the questions I asked. Not even close.

What constitutes a recurrence for this particular situation? A daily rise of cases? Double the cases each day?

What is the threshold that deems everything closes again?
There are no “answers” to your questions at this time...I just laid out the baseline for you.

And my suspicion is that there won’t be a “reopening” until that scenario can’t happen.

Think about that for a second.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
There are no “answers” to your questions at this time...I just laid out the baseline for you.

And my suspicion is that there won’t be a “reopening” until that scenario can’t happen.

Think about that for a second.

Already have.

If your scenario was put in play, are you okay with tens of millions losing their jobs? Millions upon millions dying due to poverty, homelessness, and suicide?

Because that’s what your actions would condemn people to.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom