April trips canceled by Disney?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Already have.

If your scenario was put in play, are you okay with tens of millions losing their jobs? Millions upon millions dying due to poverty, homelessness, and suicide?

Because that’s what your actions would condemn people to.
I’m only looking at it from a health and liability standpoint for Disney...which I’m sure is trying to figure out how fast they can go back as we speak.

...some economists are predicting as much as 52% unemployment in models before the situation is adequately handled.

The truth will be somewhere in between.

I just think all the talk of pushing trips back a few months or taking polls on opening dates and whether they’ll leave Epcot and/or mgm closed is not really looking at the big picture. And that picture takes into account the risk of how themeparks/hotels/tourist spots will operate at all?

Business as usual isn’t going to come back soon and how many disruptions/infrastructure costs will a business be willing to burden themselves with?

How do you keep a line sanitary? Or a character breakfast? Or a park with 30 festival booths passing food out all day?

Not easy times...no clear answers.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
By definition the high transmission rate will make it impossible to track it back to WDW vs. any other of the touchpoints from the millions of visitors with it throughout society.
Sadly...I Bet the American legal system would be willing to give that a go.

You wouldn’t have to make that solid of a case...just track that person x as positive to corona that could have lead to person y coming into contact with them on Disney property on a certain date.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Good luck with that - every one of the hundreds of thousands/millions who catch it got it from somewhere and almost all of those were in a place of business - airport, restaurant, grocery store, basketball game, etc. - Disney will have no more liability to a society-wide virus than any other business in America, especially if they are executing the basic CDC guidelines (stay home when sick, wash your hands, etc.) This is not a Disney issue.
You’re basing your opinion - as usual - in some type of “logic” that doesn’t tend to prevail in the real world.

It would be silly to dismiss the concept of tort liability to Disney. I guarantee their combat battalion of lawyers will not.

They will even lobby for federal laws at home - and overseas - to limit or absolve them from such cases...quietly.

Those laws never make it on the books.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
Good luck with that - every one of the hundreds of thousands/millions who catch it got it from somewhere and countless cases were in a place of business - airport, restaurant, grocery store, basketball game, etc. - Disney will have no more liability to a society-wide virus than any other business in America, especially if they are executing the basic CDC guidelines (stay home when sick, wash your hands, etc.) This is not a Disney issue.
You’re basing your opinion - as usual - in some type of “logic” that doesn’t tend to prevail in the real world.

It would be silly to dismiss the concept of tort liability to Disney. I guarantee their combat battalion of lawyers will not.

They will even lobby for federal laws at home - and overseas - to limit or absolve them from such cases...quietly.

Those laws never make it on the books.

There’s a lot of gray area around this with some of the very thoughts you both have shared from lawyers (staying open in the face of guidelines or restrictions vs the person takes the risk by going). I definitely think you could see Disney require people to waive liability through forms, though it would not cover malicious or intentional neglect.

dizneycraig

I didn’t see that...I’ll retract some of my condescension...though I’m sorry to say that any insistence on “reasonable” timelines can’t be accommodated.

It’s not just the testing and hospital shortages we have to weather...it’s that there won’t be a way to guarantee a recurrence for a minimum 1-2 years...which means a fundamental disruption to any place that serves crowds in close proximity.

I can think of no more obvious posterchildren for that.
Why be condescending at all?

Lilofan

There’s a lot of gray area around this with some of the very thoughts you both have shared from lawyers (staying open in the face of guidelines or restrictions vs the person takes the risk by going). I definitely think you could see Disney require people to waive liability through forms, though it would not cover malicious or intentional neglect.
I just at this point cannot see that happening. Before the family from Iowa starts their day at MK, staying at a non Disney hotel, in the morning along with say 20K people going to enter the park, " Sign here in the dotted line before you enter.. ".

Giss Neric

Where do these type of people live? Don't they ever leave the house?

1585741787973137222860945162539.png

DisneyCane

There are no “answers” to your questions at this time...I just laid out the baseline for you.

And my suspicion is that there won’t be a “reopening” until that scenario can’t happen.

Think about that for a second.
The only way that scenario "can't happen" is when a vaccine is available. There is a zero percent chance of WDW staying closed until at least March 2021 when it is.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The only way that scenario "can't happen" is when a vaccine is available. There is a zero percent chance of WDW staying closed until at least March 2021 when it is.
An outbreak of a still deadly virus at Disney parks would lose them in the longterm much more money than staying closed longer in the short term.

I don’t know how they balance that? I also can’t imagine how they could be anywhere close to “sanitary” enough in the short term?

Disney parks are “clean” when compared to six flags, no doubt...but that isn’t on this kinda level. Someone wipes their hands on the gate that opens to enter the tea cups...then where does it go? Just a scary concept.

And by the way...vaccines take longer than a march 2021 timeframe. That’s a medical longshot.

TheDisneyDaysOfOurLives

In the Parks
Yes
An outbreak of a still deadly virus at Disney parks would lose them in the longterm much more money than staying closed longer in the short term.

I don’t know how they balance that? I also can’t imagine how they could be anywhere close to “sanitary” enough in the short term?

Disney parks are “clean” when compared to six flags, no doubt...but that isn’t on this kinda level. Someone wipes their hands on the gate that opens to enter the tea cups...then where does it go? Just a scary concept.

And by the way...vaccines take longer than a march 2021 timeframe. That’s a medical longshot.

An 'outbreak' can still happen though. Is it your belief that Disney should stay closed the remainder of 2020 and most of 2021? I'm genuinely interested.

nolawave

I modified a trip I had planned in May this morning and the CM said that newest update she had was that Disney has/is cancelling all trips through April 20 something (I forgot exact date). They can clearly end up cancelling more, but that is the most current update.

DisneyCane

Medium term they can do temperature screening of guests. Maybe require masks. Have CMs spray sanitizer on railings and ride vehicle touch points frequently. There's a lot they can do to minimize risk.

I know the vaccine in March 2021 is a long shot. That's why I said "at least."

Disney will lose far more money staying closed for over a year than they will if there is some kind of outbreak tied to WDW. There can be an outbreak anywhere. Though not really deadly, norovirus outbreaks would have already killed the cruise industry if most people thought like that.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Medium term they can do temperature screening of guests. Maybe require masks. Have CMs spray sanitizer on railings and ride vehicle touch points frequently. There's a lot they can do to minimize risk.

I know the vaccine in March 2021 is a long shot. That's why I said "at least."

Disney will lose far more money staying closed for over a year than they will if there is some kind of outbreak tied to WDW. There can be an outbreak anywhere. Though not really deadly, norovirus outbreaks would have already killed the cruise industry if most people thought like that.
Sounds “magical” don’t it? 😉

Disney’s business is more heavily weighted towards appearances/perception than nearly any you’ll ever find...ever.

So we will disagree - and that’s ok - with the underlying danger to them.

This is gonna be hard.

DisneyCane

Sounds “magical” don’t it? 😉

Disney’s business is more heavily weighted towards appearances/perception than nearly any you’ll ever find...ever.

So we will disagree - and that’s ok - with the underlying danger to them.

This is gonna be hard.
Just theme the thermometers and call the disinfectant spray "pixie dust" and they can market it as value added!

imsosarah

Going to take a hell of a spike in deaths to get to 1M people. Justin sayin.

Yep...but if we didn't do all the shut downs it was on the low end of all projections...

Luckily, MOST (not all) people are being responsible and limiting interactions. The longer the rest don't, the longer we are all on lock down

imsosarah

Where do these type of people live? Don't they ever leave the house?

View attachment 460054
These are the people that believed we would be open by easter and all of this wasn't a slow way to calmly let american's know just how bad it was so they don't freak out....yesterday's 100k death rate announcement by president...today pence saying our expectation is that we are closest to the situation in italy vs germany or other countrieds...next week we will be told we will need to wear masks when going out (duh, you should be doing this now)... the truth is a lot for most people to handle so it is all very slow. People aren't actually reading the data for themselves...

Miss Bella

What is your role in the hospital? Doesn't sound like you're in medicine. I have friends who are nurses who are reusing masks. Doctors are saying they don't have the proper PPE or enough of it. If you work in a hospital, you of all people should know better. The rate it's spreading will overwhelm the hospitals; THAT'S the issue. It's not about the capacity right now, but what it will be at in a month. The rate it's spreading must be slowed, which is why the majority of the country is shutting down.
I'm an RN.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom