April trips canceled by Disney?

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
People in exactly those categories are being laid off by the thousands in companies all over the country/world.
Which was to be expected...because you can’t expect money to not have that thin layer of scum attached to it.

I would say the impact to Disney’s employees would be less severe than many - sadly - due to low wages.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Agree on the hourly impact, but those folks will unfortunately be impacted in a more long-term way with reduced growth opportunities in a depressed job market.
Each generation has had diminishing opportunity since gen x...people don’t read the news...but that’s what’s in it.

Anytime the economy is run off the cliff...this happens. I don’t know if you remember...but what distinguished the last recession from prior according to labor studies is it was a “white collar” recession - ie the blue collar workers were already sacrificed long before.

It’s sucks. Ok...back to parks.

TrojanUSC

Agree on the hourly impact, but those folks will unfortunately be impacted in a more long-term way with reduced growth opportunities in a depressed job market.

Sadly DL/WDW is kind of infamous (even within TWDC) for its poor growth ability. Of course some people do get promoted, but there lots of Manager-titles that anywhere else in the company would be Directors or above.

People can spend 20-30 years as a front line shift manager (GEM in Disney-speak) without ever being promoted.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Sadly DL/WDW is kind of infamous (even within TWDC) for its poor growth ability. Of course some people do get promoted, but there lots of Manager-titles that anywhere else in the company would be Directors or above.

People can spend 20-30 years as a front line shift manager (GEM in Disney-speak) without ever being promoted.
I can only say that I had what could be considered “amazing” growth over 3 years there - long ago...and I still couldn’t agree with this more.

But we’re off topic. I’ll stop with labor theory here. It will be interesting to see where Disney goes after these moves on the 19

Last edited:

Miss Bella

It's all the elective surgeries being cancelled. They bring in a lot of billing dollars to the hospital. The hospital's budget is built to have those dollars. Sadly, I don't think that the care for a COVID-19 patient brings in the same amount of billing dollars. While ICU's are expensive and generate a lot of billing dollars, they are usually fairly full anyway.

Another problem for the hospitals is the outpatient surgical centers that they own. Those are also shutdown and also bring in a significant amount of revenue that the Hospital counts on for its budget.

Lots of hospital's have a group practice that they own that provides family medicine, and other routine care. Some are shutdown due to staff being redirected, but others aren't seeing much patients. People are scared to go to see a doctor about a little thing because they think they are going to get it.

In our city they are setting up a 250 bed field hospital in the convention center. It will handle COVID-19 patients that need minimal hospital care but can't go home yet. Similar to a high end skilled nursing center. It's a step down facility since the recovery period of a ICU COVID-19 patient is a long one.
Elective surgeries go to the ER? Yes I understand the surgical floors being slow, but what the cardiac, stroke and ICU. It’s strange to say the least.

Miss Bella

So the ER is working "These financial cutbacks have generated an uproar from doctors and nurses who are already working exhausting shifts in demanding working conditions because of COVID-19. " overtime to deal with this yet they are complaining of cutbacks??? Something does not compute. Who is this "source"?

So I looked, they are right of center yet factual and use loaded words. I guess but the article does not make sense in a Yogi Berra sort of way.
I belong to private Facebook page for nurses and low hospital census is pretty consistent among our group. I’m just reporting. I don’t have crystal ball to predict the future. The graphs are interesting but well see what happens.
I would think people would be happy to hear some hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, but for some reason that doesn’t seem to be the case.

Miss Bella

My grandparents live in the same city as you. There have been nearly 21K tests given in AZ. That's not even 1% of the population. There might be many more cases of the virus, but there's no reporting around it. Phoenix also doesn't have the issue with density in terms of population like the other top ten cities. Arizona as a whole has less population density than most of the states, ranking 39th in the nation. So I think that's why you're not seeing an overwhelming number of cases compared to NYC, but in Phoenix, there's barely been any testing done.
Stupid shutdown and you work in a hospital? 😒
You don’t need a test to come to the hospital with a respiratory illness. We are testing now but not a lot are coming to get tested. They set up 6 drive thru tests stations but are only using one.

I’ll never think this was worth throwing the country into the Greatest Depression of all time. If my whole life hadn’t been turned upside down in a matter of days. Maybe I’d be ok with shutting down the whole economy. When I go to work at an empty hospital everyday yet the world is in total collapse I can’t help but wonder..... did we need to put 10million on employment in 2 weeks. And that’s only the tip of the iceberg . It’s going to get so much worse. I think the repercussions of this are going to be far worse than the virus.

I don’t visit these boards very often, but I’ll come back in a month or so and I’ll let you know if all the graphs were correct. If we do get a surge I don’t think it will anything we’re not used to seeing.

In the meantime stay healthy I hope you keep your jobs and are able to visit WDW in the near future. Im not sure what my economic future is going to look like in a year but I’m keeping my fingers crossed we both stay employed. I think I will. I’m not so sure about dh things are looking iffy.

Texas84

I belong to private Facebook page for nurses and low hospital census is pretty consistent among our group. I’m just reporting. I don’t have crystal ball to predict the future. The graphs are interesting but well see what happens.
I would think people would be happy to hear some hospitals aren’t overwhelmed, but for some reason that doesn’t seem to be the case.
Our hospitals aren't busy right now because of all the cancelled elective surgery. Are you seeing the same?

Texas84

Trying to reschedule my April DVC. Oops.
temp.jpg

Richie248

"Today, we’re getting reports that Disney has begun to send cancellation emails to guests with reservations through May 16th. This is a two-week extension of the previous cancellation period."

Just received an e-mail from Disney saying my travel plans have been impacted by the closure. I'm assuming it's my May 6th trip (which I knew wasn't going to happen). Weird they don't reference what trip(s)/dates are impacted. Going to call and see what's up.

seascape

Today was the day I was supposed to fly to Orlando for my April vacation. I know it is now scheduled for June but am wondering if that will happen or not. I am praying that my September Anniversary Trip will definitely happen but I can't even be sure of that. I know my lack of a Disney fix is minor comparing to the lives of others but I also care about the Cast Members and their lives. I know they will bevfine for 4 months but August is when they will lose the 600 a week extra unemployment benefits and who can live on $275:a week?

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom