Apple Pay to be available at Walt Disney World by end of the year

Voxel

President of Progress City
Aren't Magic Bands RFID which is basically one way...which means they constantly send the same information? If so, wouldn't that leave the system open to cloning? Not sure which is why I'm asking. I'm pretty sure that NFC is a two way system where all sorts of 'handshakes' and authorizations can take place between the two systems.
They are two way handshakes that are confirmed by the pin. All transactions are monitored and go through a server back in. The amount of hacking to be done to actually steal someone's credit card would be ridiculous. If anything they would just have a shopping spree at the World of Disney at Downtown Disney but even then they can only spend so much before a limit is kicked in requiring the band holder to call their front desk to clear.
I.E if done right, the band never see's the card number and the card number is never push across the NFC network.

TimothyG

If you could understand the technology involved you would know they are, simply put, not the same kind of technology. Its Apple, Apple has a target on its back because its Apple. There are forums dedicated to hacking Apple technology, and just about all of their worth while products and software has been hacked. You really are that naive to think there wont be a security compromise surrounding this technology somewhere down the line?

ROTFL!

Ive yet to read or hear about Magic Bands or My Disney Experience getting hacked though, or personal information getting compromised my malicious intruders. Apple software though, happens all the time.........

Whats that old saying about ignorance?

I wouldn't worry about it so much.
  1. Disney is a large Fortune 500 corporation with an expansive database containing the information for hundreds of millions of credit cards. They carry a huge risk of being attacked as well. An attack on their systems probably won't target MagicBands or MyDisneyExperience anyway. It would attack their payment services or credit card terminals (like the Home Depot or Target attacks).
  2. The Apple Pay technology actually is a huge improvement over the way we currently handle credit card transactions. Apple Pay's biggest advantage is it no longer hands the merchant your payment details. Instead, they get a single use token in lieu of your credit card information. If, and when, Disney gets hacked and you paid with Apple Pay, the payment details are of absolutely no use to the attackers (whereas that credit card number linked to your MagicBand is).
Hacks happen, and will continue to happen, but this is a huge step in the right direction. It at least makes it a lot harder for attackers to gain your sensitive information. I'm kind of confused as to why people are so hostile towards it in this forum though. I mean, since when is more choice and control over your financial transactions bad?

Voxel

I wouldn't worry about it so much.
  1. Disney is a large Fortune 500 corporation with an expansive database containing the information for hundreds of millions of credit cards. They carry a huge risk of being attacked as well. An attack on their systems probably won't target MagicBands or MyDisneyExperience anyway. It would attack their payment services or credit card terminals (like the Home Depot or Target attacks).
  2. The Apple Pay technology actually is a huge improvement over the way we currently handle credit card transactions. Apple Pay's biggest advantage is it no longer hands the merchant your payment details. Instead, they get a single use token in lieu of your credit card information. If, and when, Disney gets hacked and you paid with Apple Pay, the payment details are of absolutely no use to the attackers (whereas that credit card number linked to your MagicBand is).
Hacks happen, and will continue to happen, but this is a huge step in the right direction. It at least makes it a lot harder for attackers to gain your sensitive information. I'm kind of confused as to why people are so hostile towards it in this forum though. I mean, since when is more choice and control over your financial transactions bad?
Correct, this is a massive step forward to protecting clients. :D We aren't all negative. Some of us are very positive but realistic we just hide in the shadows .

Skyway

So let me get this straight---

Disney will soon accept a new form of payment?

And that new payment option will compete with and undermine their brand new, multi-billion dollar, proprietary RFID payment system???????

danlb_2000

Premium Member

And that new payment option will compete with and undermine their brand new, multi-billion dollar, proprietary RFID payment system???????

I don't see this being any competition for the Magic Bands. Touch to pay is just one feature of the bands so it's not likely people will choose not to use them just because they have a different way to pay.

Voxel

Correct which is making me believe that this Disney partnership is slowly growing, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney and Apple implement this into the apple Watch at some point.

I am seeing more Disney elements hidden in the Iphone site.

photomatt

I like the concept, and I can't wait to try it. In the past, I have waited a few months to get a new iPhone, but this time I will pre-order it as soon as I can. No, I'm not an Apple fanboi. I don't use a Mac, and I have an iPhone 5, not the 5S. I just like the idea of a larger iPhone and the new features it will provide.

WDW1974

So, lemme get this straight ... but the fact that you'll be able to pay with your kewl kids Apple iPhone187 1/3 is somehow news and important to the Disney Fan Community?

Maybe I'm just special (yes, I am!), but I've never had an issue paying for anything at WDW provided I had cash, a credit card or a resort ID if I were staying at one of their overpriced resorts.

Just why should I ... should anyone not in the Cult of Jobs ... give a damn about this (yes, I am serious)?

And on the same day UNI announced its next resort hotel ...

EDIT: when did the slightly worse form of darn become a naughty word here?

Voxel

So, lemme get this straight ... but the fact that you'll be able to pay with your kewl kids Apple iPhone187 1/3 is somehow news and important to the Disney Fan Community?

Maybe I'm just special (yes, I am!), but I've never had an issue paying for anything at WDW provided I had cash, a credit card or a resort ID if I were staying at one of their overpriced resorts.

Just why should I ... should anyone not in the Cult of Jobs ... give a **** about this (yes, I am serious)?

I respect you man, but serious calm down there is not need to get upset and negative in this thread just because you find the topic of interest BS or fanboyish. If people want to discuss a new payment option that they wanna use then fine let them with out condoning someone's phone choice or personal payment preference.

hokielutz

Correct which is making me believe that this Disney partnership is slowly growing, I wouldn't be surprised if Disney and Apple implement this into the apple Watch at some point.

I am seeing more Disney elements hidden in the Iphone site.

As they said during the presentation the Apple Watch will unlock room doors at Starwood properties next Spring..... so a next step is the AppleWatch may also work doors at Disney.

WDW1974

I respect you man, but serious calm down there is not need to get upset and negative in this thread just because you find the topic of interest BS or fanboyish. If people want to discuss a new payment option that they wanna use then fine let them with out condoning someone's phone choice or personal payment preference.

I was leaving my opinion and pulling out, but I am quite calm. I just fundamentally don't get the Cult of Jobs and why so many view their products as must haves (I think if they started selling cow pies with the Apple logo that fanbois would be lined up just like when Disney sells a Villains Tee and LE party pin).

But that's not the point here. What I am saying is that I don't see any reason why a method of payment would provoke interest whatsoever. Seriously, I think we are headed for the vision of humanity seen in WALL*E. It's such a hassle to reach into a pocket and take out cash or a card?!?! Do people who think like this even use toilet paper or is that too much of an effort?!

Voxel

I was leaving my opinion and pulling out, but I am quite calm. I just fundamentally don't get the Cult of Jobs and why so many view their products as must haves (I think if they started selling cow pies with the Apple logo that fanbois would be lined up just like when Disney sells a Villains Tee and LE party pin).

But that's not the point here. What I am saying is that I don't see any reason why a method of payment would provoke interest whatsoever. Seriously, I think we are headed for the vision of humanity seen in WALL*E. It's such a hassle to reach into a pocket and take out cash or a card?!?! Do people who think like this even use toilet paper or is that too much of an effort?!
I maybe took you out of context for which I am sorry :D, I do see your fear of humanity with in WALL*E, though I counter your statement about too much of as hash. The validation for excitement in this announcement is the security that this gives the spender and shopper, where as a debit card sends your information to a machine the device sends a one-time token. While I'll agree humanity is becoming lazy, I do feel that the sense of personal credit security needs to be taken more seriously with each coming day.
Side note not all of us are Cult of Jobs, Some of us use Apple for more personal reason (not to mention developers make more money on the Apple App Market vs Android $D)

photomatt

Not everyone who owns an iPhone looks at it as a status symbol. I have had Blackberry's, phones with Palm OS, a Samsung Galaxy S4, and several iPhones. I think the iPhone is the easiest to use, and the most reliable. That's not my opinion because I am a fan of Apple, it's my opinion because it's what I have personally experienced.

I use a credit card or debit card because I get airline miles or cash back. Using cash is a missed opportunity to get the discount I would have received by using the credit/debit card. Also, change is a pain in the ###.

The fact that Disney is adopting the technology and implementing into their POS systems makes it worthy of discussing on a Disney forum. Anything Disney does is fair game for discussion on a Disney forum.

It's not a hassle to reach in to my pocket to pull out a credit card. This new technology might make the transaction safer, though, and it's worth trying out.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Just why should I ... should anyone not in the Cult of Jobs ... give a **** about this (yes, I am serious)?

Yep it is definitely news for the millions of iPhone users that visit WDW.

I was surprised to see WDW being one of the very first to accept what will become a standard form of payment. Good move Disney, and great work Apple.

And very bad timing on behalf of Uni to announce ANYTHING on Apple's day. Great way to be drowned out in the chatter.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

People said the same when credit cards came out - "what is the problem with cash?"

Technology naysayers like yourself are now lumping credit cards into the same category as cash. It is called progress, and I'm all for it.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Yep it is definitely news for the millions of iPhone users that visit WDW.

I was surprised to see WDW being one of the very first to accept what will become a standard form of payment. Good move Disney, and great work Apple.

And very bad timing on behalf of Uni to announce ANYTHING on Apple's day. Great way to be drowned out in the chatter.

I'm wondering how much Apple paid ABC to get the coverage they are getting from them.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom