Apple Pay to be available at Walt Disney World by end of the year

Ranch Dressing

They aren't close to the same thing. You're comparing a worldwide payment system to a rubber bracelet that gets you into a theme park, allows you to wait less for a ride and maybe pick up some souvenirs. Not a lot of motivation to hack that.

I agree. But one of this forums greatest criticisms about the Magic Bands is how they stealing your personal information and how others might be able to hack into your information on your band, even though such measures are completely laughable.

Apple Pay, on the other hand, in my opinion based on previous incarnations of Apple technology will eventually get hacked. The Magic Bands are and will be a more secure method of payment.

lazyboy97o

I agree. But one of this forums greatest criticisms about the Magic Bands is how they stealing your personal information and how others might be able to hack into your information on your band, even though such measures are completely laughable.

Apple Pay, on the other hand, in my opinion based on previous incarnations of Apple technology will eventually get hacked. The Magic Bands are and will be a more secure method of payment.
When was the iTunes payment system last compromised? Jail breaking iOS is not at all equivalent.

DisUniversal

Payment systems have information. Your forgetting that the system utilized by the MagicBands is also used for payments, and this goes beyond just those with room charging. Despite what he claims, RFID and NFC are related and a lot of people were hoping that Walt Disney World would include NFC support when they first installed the MyMagic+ equipment.
I know...that's why I said pick up some souvenirs...probably should have added "pay for some crappy overpriced food" as well. ;)

Still would be much harder for someone to exploit information gathered from Magic Bands system as you can't ever do the equivalent of a "card not present" type transaction with them. Doesn't mean that MagicBands are more secure...just means the incentive isn't there.

DisUniversal

Magic Bands are less likely to be hacked because the incentive to do so is far less. Doesn't mean they're more secure.

lazyboy97o

I know...that's why I said pick up some souvenirs...probably should have added "pay for some crappy overpriced food" as well. ;)

Still would be much harder for someone to exploit information gathered from Magic Bands system as you can't ever do the equivalent of a "card not present" type transaction with them. Doesn't mean that MagicBands are more secure...just means the incentive isn't there.
NFC systems operate in a similar way to the MagicBands. Both do not directly use the card number. The incentive is in getting to the database that makes the connection between the transaction numbers and the card numbers.

Voxel

President of Progress City
When was the iTunes payment system last compromised? Jail breaking iOS is not at all equivalent.
As a Developer I can attest to this, it's been along time. Sure gift cards get hacked and stolen but that is usually on an individual basis, same can be said with the icloud hack which was done on a singular basis using either police software (according to some accounts) or correctly guess "What is your pets name' by watching all the old interviews. The last apple "breach" was icloud in 2012 and possibly 2013 (Apple and security companies couldn't fund evidence of a breach or stole material in 2013 except for developer accounts and information i.e. Me). As for the itunes there hasn't been a massive breach in years.

Voxel

NFC systems operate in a similar way to the MagicBands. Both do not directly use the card number. The incentive is in getting to the database that makes the connection between the transaction numbers and the card numbers.
Added to the fact that Apple pay requires finger print identification to function.

danlb_2000

Premium Member

Yes, anyone who understands the Magic Band technology knows that they don't put your personal information at risk directly. The question is, how secure are all the new systems that were built to support the bands? It has already been reported that the tablets the CM's use to access your data allow access to more data then is really appropriate for the job the CM is doing.

I will agree that the bans for payment are more secure, if for no other reason that it's not an attractive target since it only works at Disney World.

DisUniversal

Added to the fact that Apple pay requires finger print identification to function.
Plus it generates a temporary one time use "card number" that is sent to the merchant. If that gets stolen...as happened with Target and Home Depot recently, the information is useless for fraudulent purposes.

Voxel

Plus it generates a temporary one time use "card number" that is sent to the merchant. If that gets stolen...as happened with Target and Home Depot recently, the information is useless for fraudulent purposes.
The same thing could happen to Disney and has happened to Disney more times then it has to Apple.

Voxel

If anything we need to be more concerned by Disney, The one time card number is used by Disney not Apple, thus a breach of that one time card number would be on Disney's end.

lazyboy97o

Well, it's not the iTunes payment system, but there is "The Fappening". :)
That was not done by forcing into the iCloud system, but phishing and password guessing. You didn't hack the system if you trick me into giving you my password and then have access to only my information.

t has already been reported that the tablets the CM's use to access your data allow access to more data then is really appropriate for the job the CM is doing.
I mentioned it in the Spirited Seventh Heaven, but I did find it interesting that not sharing your name was touted as a feature.

That card information is still somewhere in the system, with both Apple Pay and MyMagic+.

Voxel

What's cash? :confused:
Monopoly-Money-Spread-Out.jpg

DisUniversal

If anything we need to be more concerned by Disney, The one time card number is used by Disney not Apple, thus a breach of that one time card number would be on Disney's end.
Aren't Magic Bands RFID which is basically one way...which means they constantly send the same information? If so, wouldn't that leave the system open to cloning? Not sure which is why I'm asking. I'm pretty sure that NFC is a two way system where all sorts of 'handshakes' and authorizations can take place between the two systems.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom